User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #751
rahza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
hi jammin
very good ride report.love the pictures. thanks for sharing the adventure. cheers
rahza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:31 AM   #752
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by DblAA View Post
Great Report. I appreciate the attention to the people, places and food.
By the way great curry recipe. I see a cook book based on this adventure.
Thanks mate. Yeah, it's the stories about meeting people, experiences in beautiful places and eating great food, all on a moto. Aah, life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzerfz1 View Post
Great report and awesome pics as always. Thanks for taking us along. As many have said you are an inspiration (Maybe I will take my DR for a 200+ mile trip this coming season.) Too much snow here today.
The DR can do it and much more. She's running strong. Other bikers have stopped and commented how they can't believe the chassis hasn't cracked yet with all that weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahza View Post
hi jammin
very good ride report.love the pictures. thanks for sharing the adventure. cheers
Hey Rahza, thanks. I visited KL twice on my flights from the US to India. Cheers.

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:33 AM   #753
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Interview on SideStandUp.com

Going to be interviewed on online motorcycle radio show SideStandUp.com tonight, Jan 13 at 8:30 pm ET (New York Time) Listen live from the below website:

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 01-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #754
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,501
Hi Jay. Warmest regards from way up in the far and frozen north! Thanks for the heads-up and glad to hear everything is going well.

Thought I include a photo from you, Beezer, and the bike that didn't make it out of Alaska at the '08 Dust2Dawson gathering in Dawson City Yukon.

To continuing wonderful adventures, Mark H.

AKDuc screwed with this post 01-13-2011 at 11:39 AM
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #755
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
Hi Jay. Warmest regards from way up in the far and frozen north! Thanks for the heads-up and glad to hear everything is going well.

Thought I include a photo from you, Beezer, and the bike that didn't make it out of Alaska at the '08 Dust2Dawson gathering in Dawson City Yukon.

To continuing wonderful adventures, Mark H.
Hiya Mark, how're you doing? I am actually right now in very similar lands to the great Alaska, as I'm in Patagonia and on the Chilean side, it's really similar to your homeland. Lots of green forests, deep blue lakes, snow capped mountains, glaciers and rain. It's reminding me a lot of my trip around Alaska. So, how timely of you to post that pic

Nice photo. It seems so long ago now. Back when I had hair up top Beezer was a nice guy. He helped me mount my tire a few minutes before I rolled up for that pic. And oh man, I miss auDRey Poor thing getting left behind up there, but it was good experience to learn about struggles in remote lands before I set off on this big trip.

And you know what, everyone loves my "Don't Ride Naked" sticker from Barb's shop. Tell her I'm spreading the good word about how she helps riders get into safe riding gear. Say hi to Comet. Cheers

Old 01-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #756
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Greetings from Villa O'Higgins, the end of the Carretera Austral in the Chilean Patagonia. The road meets the Southern Ice Field, a huge ice cap that separates the rest of southern Chile. I need to backtrack about 300 kms north to cross over into Argentina and then continue south. It's wet and rains most of the time but the scenery is gorgeous.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:10 AM   #757
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Eek

Hmm, this could throw a spanner in the plan for the next few days. Fuel price protests further south in Chile in Puerto Natales and Punto Arenas. The road to Ushuaia and all border crossings to Argentina from those regions have been closed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12200792

Old 01-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #758
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,151
Border Crossing at Villa O'Higgins

Hello Jay,
5 years ago when I was there, there was a seasonal "foot-border-crossing" close to Villa O'Higgins. Look for "Estancia Tucu-Tucu" on your map (Argentina side). so you get your bearings towards where to cross If you have the Turistel Guia for Chile, the trail it is described as a "trilla equina" (horse road).

I was with my wife and daughter in the Land Cruiser and I gave it a try. There is a foot bridge over the Mayer River, but the current /depth was too strong for the truck to cross safely. The Argentine Gendarmes said that if we managed to cross they would stamp our passports for exiting the country, but we had to turn back and cross at Paso Roballos which is the official border crossing. Ask around at the Carabineros Station, maybe you can cross over the foot bridge with the bike. On the Argentina side there is a double track trail. Be aware that if you manage to cross you will be in a VERY remote area, so make sure you fill your fuel tank before leaving Villa O'Higgins.

Suerte
Old 01-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #759
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post
Hello Jay,
5 years ago when I was there, there was a seasonal "foot-border-crossing" close to Villa O'Higgins. Look for "Estancia Tucu-Tucu" on your map (Argentina side). so you get your bearings towards where to cross If you have the Turistel Guia for Chile, the trail it is described as a "trilla equina" (horse road).

Suerte
Yeah, I asked around for that info, but no one in town knew anyone that did it successfully. The bicyclists do a nice route taking 2 ferries south and carrying their bikes over a horse trail for 12 kms before arriving in El Chalten. Impossible with a moto, but there's talk of continuing the Austral to connect to Puerto Natales. It would involve lots of ferries and is about 10 years away.

Crossed into Los Antiguos from Chile Chico after a mind blowing ride along the Lago Carrera General. Wow, the views were epic. Great, jagged coast line following a tuquamarine lake. Some nice camping last night by Rio Baker, alone in a forest. Now, the winds starts and the bland side of Patagonia. Heading south to El Cafate and I hope the borders are open further south.

Oh and just found out today that taking the bike to Senegal with Grimaldi is no longer an easy option. I have to crate it, taking it as cargo, leading to major headaches on the African side. Need to think now about how to cross... Might take the regular Grimaldi boat up to Europe, getting down in France and then heading for Morocco.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #760
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Oh and just found out today that taking the bike to Senegal with Grimaldi is no longer an easy option. I have to crate it, taking it as cargo, leading to major headaches on the African side. Need to think now about how to cross... Might take the regular Grimaldi boat up to Europe, getting down in France and then heading for Morocco.
I like the European option. Since so much ship traffic goes from various S. American ports to ports like Roterdam and other very busy EU ports, you might find a better deal.

Starting Africa from Morocco might not be so bad, depending on time of year and weather. So important to time geography with seasons. You've done this brilliantly so far ... for the most part. Hope your luck continues.

!suerte!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #761
Tom-Traveller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
suggestions

Hi Jay

thanks for all the effort for posting

We shipped the crated bikes with these guys ...

Martina from the Villa Kunterbunt in Valparaiso / Chile

http://www.villakunterbuntvalpo.blogspot.com/

and

Olaf J.Kleinknecht from intime-ham

http://www.intime-ham.com/index.html

don`t worry, they understand english .....

ask for a quote to Europe (pretty much any destinations, usually Hamburg, Antwerpen, Rotterdam)

these guys shipped from Zapate (70km north of Buenos Aires) to East London (1000km from Capetown). They wrote that it was cheap compared to the quote from Sandra (DakarMotos), ask them how much they paid and about the procedures.....

but then you will need a Carnet de Passages for SouthAfrica

http://www.2aufreisen.de/pages/posts...nien-2-170.php

Good Luck and keep going

Cheers Thomas

www.miles-to-ride.com
Tom-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:24 PM   #762
Tom-Traveller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
and forgot ....

there is always a garage and a bed at our home

Thomas & Andrea
Tom-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #763
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I like the European option. Since so much ship traffic goes from various S. American ports to ports like Roterdam and other very busy EU ports, you might find a better deal.

Starting Africa from Morocco might not be so bad, depending on time of year and weather. So important to time geography with seasons. You've done this brilliantly so far ... for the most part. Hope your luck continues.

!suerte!
Yeah and I dont want to deal with uncrating the bike in a place like Senegal. The bureaucratic headache would be too much I'd like to go from BA to Spain somewhere, as close to Morocco as possible.

Yup, this was the original plan to enter Africa at Morocco so I guess this is how the cards play out. Also, dont need to double back through some countries now.

The weather is what I'm afraid of. I've gotten behind by a few months now and in the middle of the year is the worst of the rainy season thru West and Central Africa and looks like I'm heading straight for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Traveller View Post
Hi Jay

thanks for all the effort for posting

We shipped the crated bikes with these guys ...

Martina from the Villa Kunterbunt in Valparaiso / Chile

Good Luck and keep going
Cheers Thomas

www.miles-to-ride.com
Thomas, thanks for the great info and links. I know Holger and Anja and have sent them an email. I would really like not to crate the bike and I want to travel by sea also so I think Grimaldi is still the only option for that.

Just to know more options: do you know if it's relatively easy to uncrate a bike in Europe? Would I need a customs broker?
And no worries, I already got a Carnet issued and shipped to me

If the passes are open, I'd love to go thru Switzerland but I think it will be too early in the year. Cheers.

Jammin screwed with this post 03-10-2014 at 11:43 AM
Old 01-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #764
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Laugh Support the Ride with a T-Shirt

Hey, so if you'd like to support my trip, how about buying a t-shirt with a cool logo on it? I get 25% that goes towards petrol and tires

http://www.globaljamminshop.com/

Old 01-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #765
Panama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
just bought one

looks great can't wait to get it. You need to publish your book!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Hey, so if you'd like to support my trip, how about buying a t-shirt with a cool logo on it? I get 25% that goes towards petrol and tires

http://www.globaljamminshop.com/
Panama is offline   Reply With Quote