Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #766
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama View Post
looks great can't wait to get it. You need to publish your book!
Sweet! Thanks a lot. Much appreciated

I'm putting together a photo book...

Just rolled into El Calafate near the Perito Moreno Glacier. Wild camped down Ruta 40. Dancing with the bike in the wind. It wasn't sooo bad but putting up the tent was fun Most of the 40 is paved or getting paved and the gravel parts are in really good condition except for some rough stretches.

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #767
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

How you like them rocks? Some rough parts of Ruta 40 in the Argentine Patagonia with fierce winds blowing from the side. Yeah for no punctures

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 01-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #768
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

A panorama of the awe-inspiring Perito Moreno Glacier in the Argentine Patagonia, which is 5 kms wide. I spent the day getting up close and personal with this advancing ice river. It's quite dynamic and ruptures (calving events) take place about every 10 mins. It's one of the few glaciers that's actually advancing (growing).
Click here to see the high resolution version.

Heading into Puerto Natales tomorrow.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:08 PM   #769
Tom-Traveller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
more suggestions

Hi Jay

uncrating in Hamburg is no problem, you don`t need a broker and the custom guys speak english

maybe you can even sell the crate ... I can post it at the german forum, if you like

without a crate, you have to go by Grimaldi ... but ask first where you can definitly leave the ship, because if I remember correct you can`t get off in Dakar.... possibly in Spain

you have a carnet, very good ... because of the time issue consider the flight transport to Capetown or Nairobi .... depends.

About the riding season in Europe:

Februar/March in southern Spain is beautiful (flowers, trees are blooming)

the passes in the Alps (France, Switzerland, Austria) do not open until end of May, sometimes middle of June ... but we have some tunnels

Marocco is a fantastic country, but ...

the Atlas mountains are up to 4000m which means snow and ice in wintertime (until April/May)

the desert side of the Atlas is getting f***** hot (+ 40 C), end of motorcycle season about April

the Atlantic side can be quite rainy and cold in springtime

So, it all depends when you are leaving Southamerica and how long is your transfer over the pound

Always these dificult decisions (laugh)

Cheers
Thomas
Tom-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #770
ping
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
You may want to get a new rubber gasket for your gas cap.
ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #771
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ping View Post
You may want to get a new rubber gasket for your gas cap.
Aah, good one.

Yes, can you guys please recommend what parts I should order now from the States before I head into Africa. Things that are likely to wear like gaskets, etc. I have a friend meeting me in Morocco so I can send stuff thru him.

I've already ordered a bunch of gaskets. I have a set of bearings, fork seals, rear dust seals, cables, levers.

I would like to source some valves for the engine and just hang on to them cause I think they'll need replacing during the next top end rebuild. Buying new looks very expensive. Any other avenues to get a hold of some valve stems?

For Brake Rotors, anyone have experience with the numerous cheaper options that are offered on ebay for the DR? My current EBC rotors have enough thickness in them and no real grooves, but a new set would be good sometime this year.

Do I need to replace the exhaust gasket? How long do they last?

Oh and axles, no damage to the ones on the bike now, but would a new set improve anything? Ive ordered a set of new bushings for the sprocket hub.

Warming up over a coffee in Rio Turbio (free wifi in most gas stations) after freezing to the bone from El Calafate. Today the winds were strong, even violent and super cold. Sucking the heat out of me and I'm wearing all the layers I can possibly wear. Heading to the border.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #772
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Aah, good one.
Yes, can you guys please recommend what parts I should order now from the States before I head into Africa. Things that are likely to wear like gaskets, etc. I have a friend meeting me in Morocco so I can send stuff thru him.

I've already ordered a bunch of gaskets. I have a set of bearings, fork seals, rear dust seals, cables, levers.

I would like to source some valves for the engine and just hang on to them cause I think they'll need replacing during the next top end rebuild. Buying new looks very expensive. Any other avenues to get a hold of some valve stems?

For Brake Rotors, anyone have experience with the numerous cheaper options that are offered on ebay for the DR? My current EBC rotors have enough thickness in them and no real grooves, but a new set would be good sometime this year.

Do I need to replace the exhaust gasket? How long do they last?

Oh and axles, no damage to the ones on the bike now, but would a new set improve anything? Ive ordered a set of new bushings for the sprocket hub.

Warming up over a coffee in Rio Turbio (free wifi in most gas stations) after freezing to the bone from El Calafate. Today the winds were strong, even violent and super cold. Sucking the heat out of me and I'm wearing all the layers I can possibly wear. Heading to the border.
Jay,

Wow! It's SUMMER down there! What is going on?
Did you forget your DR650 is NOT A BMW? Me thinks you're worrying about things that won't be wearing out anytime soon. Didn't you just replace your valves, valve guide seals and rebuild the top end?
If the job was done correctly ... then should be good for 50,000 miles or so. I was very surprised you''re old top end gave up so soon. Unusual for DR's. Could be this motor has some "history" ?

Carrying spare bearings, fork seals, dust seals and levers makes good sense. I would simply replace both your clutch and throttle cables when you can with NEW Suzuki ones. IMHO, no need to carry a spare of either. My originals are at 35,000 miles now and fine. Same with my previous DR650, which went to 32,000 until gear box let go and self destructed. I sold off all the parts ... including the old cables. Still perfectly usable.

If you follow DR sites you find VERY FEW DR's need top end work. More likely to have a trans gear failure or NSU problem. Use good oil, change it when you can, should be fine.

I would use Iridium plugs and carry spares.
Filter your fuel and use fuel additives when you find good stuff. Keeps carb clean and valves free of carbon. Iridium plugs are great and last last last!

Clutch
Also .... I believe you are the ONLY DR650 rider I've ever heard of to have a clutch problem. You never, ever hear of burnt or slipping clutches on DR650's. Very rare. How you did it, I can't imagine. My belief is previous owner(s) were VERY hard on clutch before you ever got bike? If you have any doubt ... I would replace all clutch plates. I think you did this ... so should be fine for another 50,000 miles easy. Remember, this is NOT a BMW.

I feel your DR will easily get you through Africa. Even KTM's make it!
I don't think you'll be doing the Dakar course so should be easier ... at least in places.
Rotors
Measure you rotor thickness. EBC are pretty good, should be fine. I would carry spare brake pads. I wear out rear pads in 6 to 8000 miles. (I drag rear brake in corners and ALWAYS use with front brake) Fronts wear out in about 10,000. If rotors are thin, now is good time to replace. Change out Brake Fluid every 5000 miles or so. (DOT 3 or 4)

I can't remember all details about your bike. I do remember you are using a weird Two Stroke carb, but I think your motor is stock, right? The first one had a 700 kit and blew up, is that right?

If the Carb is working good now .... leave it. But if not, there are LOTS of used STOCK carbs for sale in the $50 to $75 range. But don't buy a worn out one. Get a very low mileage one. Internal carb parts DO wear out over time. (slides, diaphrams, jets ... ect ... I think you know all about this by now! )

Exhaust gasket?
Do you mean the gasket between the header pipe and muffler mid pipe connection? Once its been taken off ... its very hard to re-use. A new one is best ... even then, getting a new one on cleanly is tricky. Its soft and easily destroyed. Use caution, be patient.

Axles
Main thing is to check that axles are not BENT. Very hard to bend one. I've hit shit really HARD ... bent rim but axles fine. If straight .... then simply clean up with steel wool or wet/dry sand paper, grease and re-use. Clean grease off threads before tightening.

Sprocket Hub bushings?
You mean Cush Drive Rubber bushings? YES! they do wear out. I would replace them. You can also use bits of inner tube to "tighten"
up the fit. IT WORKS!

I assume you're covered on chains and sprockets?

With any luck .... all will be well. The top end should be fine. Only things I'd toss in as a remote possibility would be the ECU and the Stator. Very very few fail but its always possible on old, high mileage bikes. But very unlikely.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 01-24-2011 at 10:04 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #773
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Recipe for Jammin's Chicken Curry

This is the dish that I prepare when I am staying with people and they request me to cook an Indian dish. With all the good vibes that emanate when people eat my curry, I've got a new tagline for my trip: Spreading Eudaimonia thru Curry Diplomacy

Ingredients for 4 people (scalable)
1 whole chicken or 8 thighs
4 large onions
1 whole garlic bulb (8-10 cloves)
5 cm (2 in) ginger root
6 medium tomatoes (soft and ripe)
4 serrano peppers or equivalent chilies (skip the chilies if you can't handle too much spice)
2 heaped table spoons curry powder (or more for a stronger flavour)
8 table spoons (or more) canola oil
2 tea spoons salt (or more depending on taste)
1 bunch of cilantro

Preparation
Chop whole chicken into individual pieces (remove the skin to be a bit healthier)
Dice onions and tomatoes into 1/2 cm squared (1/4 in sq)
Dice garlic and ginger
Dice chili peppers (leave the seeds if you like it hotter)

Things to remember to make this curry a success
- add each ingredient slowly to the pot, a little at a time
- how well you fry the onions will determine how the curry comes out
- listen to the pot as the oil and water from the ingredients are clashing and keep the sound steady throughout
- use a thick walled pot
- have a strong flame

Cooking it
In a thick-walled pot, heat up about 6 tbls of oil or enough to cover the bottom of the pot. When oil is hot, add a few onions and start stir-frying. Listen to the sizzle between the hot oil and the water from the onions. This is an indicator of the temperature of the dish. Try and keep this stable. As the onions fry (and the water evaporates), the sizzle will lower in volume, at this point, add a few more onions. The bigger the flame you have, the faster you can add all the onions. Always have enough oil in the dish to coat the onions liberally in oil. The onions should be fried till they are golden-brown, getting dark. This will take about 15 mins or more. Be patient. The secret to a good curry is frying the onions to the proper state.

The onions with ginger, garlic and the chili peppers (in La Paz, Bolivia).

After about 10 mins of frying the onions, add the ginger, then the chilies. When all the onions are close to being golden-brown, add the garlic. The flame throughout should be on medium-high to high. When the garlic has been slightly roasted, start adding in the pieces of the chicken one at a time, stir-frying each piece for about 30 seconds before adding in the next piece. Start with the larger pieces and the ones with more bones first. When all the pieces are in, add the curry powder and salt, stir-frying the dish the whole time.

After about 2 mins, slowly start adding in the tomatoes. This is where the curry gets its sauce from. Add a few tbls of tomatoes and then mix them into the dish until they soften, then add a few more. This process can take about 5-10 mins. After all the tomatoes are in, lower the flame and do a taste test for salt and add more if needed. If you want it more liquidy, add some hot water. Check to see if the big pieces of chicken are cooked with a knife. Once the chicken is cooked, the dish is done. Turn off the stove and either chop the cilantro or just pull apart with your hands and sprinkle over the dish. Cover the pot and let the garnishing of the cilantro work into the curry.

Goes well with rice, naan (Indian flat bread) or any other kind of bread.

Seasoning the curry with freshly chopped cilantro (in Sao Paulo, Brazil).

Preparing my curry in the place for Argentine assados (bbq's). Go ahead and give the recipe a try and let me know if I should modify the instructions to make it simpler.

Just in case, here’s how to make a good pot of rice on the stove
Put some oil in the pot, then 1 cup of rice and stir-fry for a minute. Add 2 cups of water and once the water is boiling, lower the flame to minimum and cover the pot. After about 15 - 20 mins, check to see if all the water has been absorbed by the rice. When the water is gone, the rice is ready. Do a taste test and if the rice is still raw inside, add some more water and wait for it to be absorbed.

Happy Eating (use your fingers for a tastier experience )
Dude we missed out! Glad you're still in good hands.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:03 AM   #774
cloudshaver
marcusorass

Oddometer: 124
Thanks for the R.R. Be down that way in a year or so.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #775
TrevorHeath
Seattle to ??

Oddometer: 78
Lots of steam engines in Rio Turbio if that interests you....

Warming up over a coffee in Rio Turbio .
[/QUOTE]
Old 01-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #776
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Oddometer: 554
Thumb Only taken me 3 days!

Can't believe I'm finally current with this most excellent RR. I'm subscribed and enjoying it all. Looking forward to tagging along for the rest of your journey and lastly but certainly not of the least importance, keep filing those food pics.

BTW...How many miles do you think your DR has tackled from new?

Cheers...SteverinoB

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
SteverinoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #777
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Traveller View Post
Hi Jay
uncrating in Hamburg is no problem, you don`t need a broker and the custom guys speak english
maybe you can even sell the crate ... I can post it at the german forum, if you like
without a crate, you have to go by Grimaldi ... but ask first where you can definitly leave the ship, because if I remember correct you can`t get off in Dakar.... possibly in Spain
you have a carnet, very good ... because of the time issue consider the flight transport to Capetown or Nairobi .... depends.
Thanks for info. Yeah, don't want to deal with a crate if I don't have to and I've really been looking forward to a long ship voyage so Grimaldi it is. First port I can get down at is Le Havre, north of Paris, then UK, Antwerp and finally Hamburg.

I figured I'm going to take this ship journey whether it pushes me into the rainy season or not. I'll wait it out in some friendly corner of central Africa cause I hit the mother continent, I don't really have a timeline to be anywhere, just roam...
Quote:
About the riding season in Europe:
Februar/March in southern Spain is beautiful (flowers, trees are blooming)
the passes in the Alps (France, Switzerland, Austria) do not open until end of May, sometimes middle of June ... but we have some tunnels
I've alwasy wanted to ride the Alps, but that'll be for another trip. I think I'll get down at Le Havre and shoot it down to Spain.

How is crossing the Pyrennes? Are there low passes near the coasts? Which coast is preferrable? I'd like to ride through Basque country but Catalunya sounds exciting too.
Quote:
Marocco is a fantastic country, but ...
the Atlas mountains are up to 4000m which means snow and ice in wintertime (until April/May)
the desert side of the Atlas is getting f***** hot (+ 40 C), end of motorcycle season about April
the Atlantic side can be quite rainy and cold in springtime
Wow, didn't know the Atlas mountains were that high. I saw a Warren Miller video of a group snowboarding there. I guess I'll see where it's warm enough to ride in the north.
Ahh, so I'm not done with riding thru cold and rainy weather (like in Patagonia). I guess I'll hit the real Africa in Mauritania, eh.
Quote:
So, it all depends when you are leaving Southamerica and how long is your transfer over the pound
Always these dificult decisions (laugh)
Cheers
Thomas
Life is good when these are the difficult questions that you have to deal with

Old 01-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #778
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ruben View Post
Dude we missed out! Glad you're still in good hands.
Hey Ruben, yeah man, but I enjoyed that steak with asparagus, mmm. I'll cook you guys a curry when I pass thru in the future. Say hi to Barbara and D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudshaver View Post
Thanks for the R.R. Be down that way in a year or so.
Sure thing. Come on down. The riding is great and the women are beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorHeath View Post
Lots of steam engines in Rio Turbio if that interests you....
Yup, saw them all over the place and they've decorated lots of empty mineral haulers and placed them along the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Br View Post
Can't believe I'm finally current with this most excellent RR. I'm subscribed and enjoying it all. Looking forward to tagging along for the rest of your journey and lastly but certainly not of the least importance, keep filing those food pics.

BTW...How many miles do you think your DR has tackled from new?

Cheers...SteverinoB
You read the whole thing?!!
and thanks so much for your donation, Steve Much appreciated. Lots of nice food pix to come when I finally get current with the updates (plan to work on them on the boat and be current before I enter Africa ).

Well, I bought this 98 DR used and it came with 20K miles. Started this trip at 26K. New(er) engine at 29K and that engine had 10K on it. You can see how confusing this is getting. In my maintenance log, I have 3 odometers: trip, chassis and engine, respectively at 33k, 59k and 40k as of now.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #779
34for40dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Great Report

Jay,

Fantastic ride report. I started following just last week. Finally got caught up today. Man what great pictures and stories.

In 2006 I broke the World Record from Prudhoe Bay to Ushuaia (27 days, 7 hours and 52 minutes ) on an F650 Dakar. I took very few pictures. Your report is filling me in.

Reading your report is truly fantastic since I have seen some of the same roads, sadly without the time to take pictures or enjoy the natives. The one place I stopped that you mentioned in your report was the tower at the Nazca lines. I will never forget riding down the unbelievably straight road in Peruvian desert and seeing a number of single engine airplanes in the sky. Very odd because it is such a desolate location. When out in the distance I saw the tower approaching. Somehow, 5th grade geography came to mind and I remembered the lines. So I stopped at the tower, paid the fee, ran to the top, looked out, and ran back down the stairs and got back on the bike. The only tourist thing I did during the whole trip!

The other thing about your trip is all the jungle and greenery in your pictures of Peru. I always tell people when I rode through Peru I never saw a green living thing. Of course, I rode the Trans America Hwy along the West Coast and only saw sand and sea.

Your ride report has me planning for a new much slower trip. If work doesn't pick up by June, I am going to pack it in and follow your journey to Bolivia. I'll keep in touch and let you know if it comes to fruition.

Thanks for putting the bee in the bonnet.

Dave

Trans-Americas World Record Holder - 27:7:52

www.34for40.org

2005 XR650R
1976 FLH

34for40dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #780
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Jay,

Wow! It's SUMMER down there! What is going on?
Did you forget your DR650 is NOT A BMW? Me thinks you're worrying about things that won't be wearing out anytime soon. Didn't you just replace your valves, valve guide seals and rebuild the top end?
If the job was done correctly ... then should be good for 50,000 miles or so. I was very surprised you''re old top end gave up so soon. Unusual for DR's. Could be this motor has some "history" ?
Thanks for your expert advice

Yeah see, the mechanical engineer in me knows that every time a machine is turned on, its lifespan has been reduced a bit (same for our bodies), but this is not a concern for most people since they will probably move on before said machine fails on them or they are in a location where if some failure happens, a solution isn't that far away. I am planning to spend some extended time in Africa and the only place for parts is South Africa with expensive shipping to almost any other country and I want to be well prepared in case things fail. Keeping a set of spare valves somewhere on the bike is going to come in handy at some point. I'm not paranoid, just being practical.

Also, I think you are drawing conclusions too easily. The top end didn't give up. I rebuilt the top end to replace aging valve seals and took care of other things while in there. I didn't need to do that and would have just been using a bit of oil for the next 10's of thousands of kilometers, but I don't like to run a machine with faulty parts if I can help it. I feel it's a sense of respect to keep it in tip top shape to the best of my ability and resources. I didnt need to replace the piston rings and would have just been consuming a bit of oil, but for $50, I could get some compression back and not be consuming oil...

Yeah, clutch cable is still original and I have a spare ready. I think I'll wait till it lets go, cause it wont be much hassle to replace it. My throttle cable for this unique carb is a unique length, so I can't just buy a new spare, but I've made a specific spare.

Fuel is filtered but do I really need to add some injector cleaner once in a while? Haven't added any fuel additives this whole trip, even after Brazil's ethanol. Just a tank of premium once in a while, where it's cheap.

Clutch: I am the clutch destroyer master! Seriously, Suzuki should be paying me for all this destructive testing

I think a clutch is pretty easy to destroy, here's how you do it: get a heavily rear loaded mid-powered bike, put an inexperienced deep sand rider in the saddle and present him with a challenging hill. Clutch slippage soon follows. I was so good on the Lagunas route for about 95% of the time, through miles and miles of deep sand, huge rocks on uphills, deep jeep ruts and there was just this one bloody huge sandy hill that I couldn't get a good run at and hand to crawl it up with huge amounts of clutch slippage and that did it in after a few hundred miles later. A clutch simply works on friction. If you over power that friction, the contact is destroyed and it's all downhill from there. It's not a problem with the DR, it's a problem with my weight and I accept it.

Brakes: I have 2 sets of pads and rotors have enough meat on them and no grooves, so I think I'll make it to South Africa easily on them. Yeah, I'm using the rear brake a lot lately, more than the front even as with all the weight, it stops much easier than with all the dive on the forks. Sad things is, I still haven't gotten around to changing my brake fluid. The little 8mm nipple bolt on the calipers is on too tight for my tiny little wrench. I need to find a bigger lever to get it open.

Carb: all is good with the flat slide (yup, think it came from a 2-stroke snowmobile from previous owner). Motor is all stock. Previous one was stock compression too, just the piston wasn't OEM but made by Wossner. and it only blew up due to a loose cap screw on the cam chain tensioner (I have dreams about that incident, not nightmares ).

Exhaust gasket: I'm talking about header to cylinder (new one at the start of the trip). I have the GSX-R muffler mod, so only other gasket is mid-pipe to muffler and haven't opened that connection.

Axles: got it. They look good.

Yes, that's the word for them, I forgot: Cush drive rubber bushings. Good tip on the inner tube, will remember that.

Chains and sprockets being delivered to me in Morocco. I asked some stores where I regularly buy all my sprockets and chains if they could throw me a little discount and they were happy to help. (TPI and SprocketCenter)

Yeah, my biggest worry is the 3rd gear or something else in the tranny going kablooie. If that happens, I'm finding a nice hut (hopefully with wifi) and staying put for a few months.

Thanks for your responses, it helps a lot. Cheers.