Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #796
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Traveller View Post
OK, just a few things about going south ....
In early March it can be cold, wet and evtl. snowing in some areas ... so the alternative is to take the car train from Hamburg to Lörrach (border to Switzerland, near Basel)

If you want to ride ....
the autobahn in Germany is free, all other highways (autobahn) in Europe are toll roads and have a speed limit (120-130)
After beeing in Patagonia, you will find Europe quite crowded and riding on the autobahn is no fun with your thumper, maybe if you have a Hayabusa and going 200 (plus) km/h.

Once you are through custom and immigration in Hamburg, you can ride to Spain/Marocco without border control (except Switzerland)
Of course, it would be nice to ride the small roads north to south (Harz mountains, BlackForest, Alpes, Pyrenees, etc.) but if the weather is bad .... no fun and the high passes are still closed anyway.

Campgrounds (in Germany, Switzerland, northen France) are more or less closed, bushcamping is not allowed or quite difficult to find a quiet spot and motels/hotels cost you 50 - 100 Euro per night easyly

Hope, this helps a bit planing your trip south .... of course, there is much more , if you have any further questions don`t hesitate.
OK, have fun in BA and happy trails
Thomas & Andrea
www.miles-to-ride.com
Hey Thomas, excellent info. Just the kind of info I'm looking for now :cheer
Train sounds like a good idea, but I think I wanna ride Cold, rain, snow, bring it on. After winter in the Andes and the usual cold summer of Patagonia, how bad can Europe in early Spring be, eh?

Thing is I also have some friends along the way that I have to visit if I'm going to be riding thru their part of the world, so Frankuft and Paris enroute. And I would like to visit the Nurburgring, sort of on the way and being a pilgrimage for race fans (especially Formula 1). Will it be open in mid-March? Would be hillarious to film the DR around the Ring. I predict a 25 min timed lap

Then from Paris, I'll either head down the west cost to Bordeaux into the Basque and down to Andalusia or if not too cold, head down the Med coast. We'll see.

Is there a way to see how much toll routes cost? (Good to know Autobahn is still free) Google Maps has the nice option of selecting a route with no toll roads.

Question about getting down in Hamburg: is the bike and its contents put through an x-ray scanner? I ask, because as you might know, I'm traveling with a lot of spices and that's generally a no-no across borders.

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #797
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Hey Eggroll, great advice. Thanks. The stock gearing on the DR is 15/42 and I've been running a 14 on the front since the beginning. I dont' think a 13 is available, but would like one if it is Yeah, wish I could change the gearing to be even better for sandy uphill climbs, but looks like this is the best compromise I can do.
Someone let me know if a 13 tooth counter sprocket is available for the DR.
I'm running a 14/45. Not ideal for Bonneville but nice for intermediate speeds. I pout the 45 on for Colorado high country. I would run at 80 but it is happy at 70 mph.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #798
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Hey Eggroll, great advice. Thanks. The stock gearing on the DR is 15/42 and I've been running a 14 on the front since the beginning. I dont' think a 13 is available, but would like one if it is Yeah, wish I could change the gearing to be even better for sandy uphill climbs, but looks like this is the best compromise I can do.
Someone let me know if a 13 tooth counter sprocket is available for the DR.
Jay, I don't think a 13 is available ... and even if it was I would not go there. Why? Such a small countershaft sprocket forces the chain to make TOO TIGHT of a a U turn there. Not good. Will wear out chain quick ... and the too small sprocket even more quickly.

Better to go to Jesse or Pro Cycle and go up to a GOOD QUALITY 45 or 46T rear sprocket. Now you can adjust gearing as needed using either the 14 or 15T (or even a 16T) front sprocket. A 45 rear with a 14 front should give a nice low range of gearing for off road.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #799
CopperLioness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
This site has links to various calculators. Benelux also has free motorways. The autoroutes in France can really add up, plus they're mindnumbingly boring. However, secondary routes are free and can be quite fun and you see a lot more cool stuff. Of course, they take longer, but I'd hate to ride long distances on the autoroutes, bad enough in the car.

Been following your trip and enjoying it, also studied/trying to find work in sustainability. You're welcome to stay in our spare room here in Utrecht if you come this way and don't mind two (mostly) sweet but energetic small kids.

2002 BMW F650CS
CopperLioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #800
cu260r6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
What's your plan for N. Africa? Are you heading south through Western Morocco or Egypt or just skipping it altogether?
cu260r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #801
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
I'm running a 14/45. Not ideal for Bonneville but nice for intermediate speeds. I pout the 45 on for Colorado high country. I would run at 80 but it is happy at 70 mph.
Hmm, never thought seriously about going to a 45, because the road conditions change a lot here, but you're right, for a route where it'll be mainly rough off-road for a few days, then changing gearing makes sense. I'll order a 45. I hear the route to Timbuktu is especially sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Jay, I don't think a 13 is available ... and even if it was I would not go there. Why? Such a small countershaft sprocket forces the chain to make TOO TIGHT of a a U turn there. Not good. Will wear out chain quick ... and the too small sprocket even more quickly.

Better to go to Jesse or Pro Cycle and go up to a GOOD QUALITY 45 or 46T rear sprocket. Now you can adjust gearing as needed using either the 14 or 15T (or even a 16T) front sprocket. A 45 rear with a 14 front should give a nice low range of gearing for off road.
Good thoughts on not going too small on the front. I think I'll be encountering a lot of rain and maybe mud on major roads, so for that, changing gearing to a 45 makes sense. Is this similar to going to a 13 on the front?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperLioness View Post
This site has links to various calculators. Benelux also has free motorways. The autoroutes in France can really add up, plus they're mindnumbingly boring. However, secondary routes are free and can be quite fun and you see a lot more cool stuff. Of course, they take longer, but I'd hate to ride long distances on the autoroutes, bad enough in the car.

Been following your trip and enjoying it, also studied/trying to find work in sustainability. You're welcome to stay in our spare room here in Utrecht if you come this way and don't mind two (mostly) sweet but energetic small kids.
Thanks for the good info. Maybe I'll buzz thru where there are free highways and then take b-roads thru France, when it also starts warming up towards the south. How has this winter been in northern Europe? Will it be over my March?
If I don't have to go to Frankfurt, I'll come thru Utrecht then (my friend said he might be in Belgium during that time). Ooh, then I can also visit Spa-Francorchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu260r6 View Post
What's your plan for N. Africa? Are you heading south through Western Morocco or Egypt or just skipping it altogether?
Plan to cross from Spain into Morocco and head down the West Coast to Senegal, then interior into Mali, down to Ghana and then thru Central Africa. But I think the rains might change my plans...

Bloody hell, just came back from a costume party, a rare event in conservative Argentina, where going as a biker was a big hit and being from India Lots of freely flowing vodka and wine It's 5:20 am and I have 700 kms to do today till Buenos Aires, the end of the road in Latin America.

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 02-06-2011, 01:41 AM   #802
Tom-Traveller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Hi Jay

.... it`s all weather related ....

the Atlantic route can be very bad ... March is just the month where things can be nice or worse. The montains (Eifel) in Belgium are cold and riding in snow conditions are no fun

the Nurburgring is in this area .....

the Pyrenees montains between France and Spain .... same thing

Just be prepared for the worst weather conditions ....

I have no idea about a x-ray scanner in Hamburg, but I think it shouldn`t be a problem ... never heard from somebody having trouble

toll roads are axpensive, but usually not much traffic ... the free ons are packed !

So, fingers crossed for a beautiful springtime

Good Luck and have fun
Thomas
Tom-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:13 AM   #803
WOXOF
Just wander'n

Oddometer: 706
Jay.

Get a 45 tooth for the rear sprocket and get 14, 15, & 16 tooth front sprockets.

14/45 (3.21) will give you the same ratio as 13/42 (3.23)

15/45 (3.00) will give you what you have now with the 14/42 (3.00)

And if you need something a little more highway usable (autobahn)
16/45 (2.81) will be like going with 15/42 (2.80)

Kientech has all the sprockets as mentioned above by Eggroll
http://www.kientech.com/DR650ConvNst...rocketkits.htm
IBA #33096
WOXOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:15 AM   #804
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
the Atlantic route can be very bad ... March is just the month where things can be nice or worse. The montains (Eifel) in Belgium are cold and riding in snow conditions are no fun
toll roads are axpensive, but usually not much traffic ... the free ons are packed !
So, fingers crossed for a beautiful springtime
Good Luck and have fun
Thomas
Thanks for the reply Thomas. I guess I'll figure it out after I get down in Hamburg.

Question about tires: I need a new set of touring-oriented tires, like the Metzeler Tourance or similar. I have a set of 50/50 tires, but dont want to mount them for all the asphalt across Europe. Do you recommend buying tires in Europe or here in Buenos Aires, regarding price and availability? The rear tire is bald now and either I buy one now or in Hamburg before the Euro-Bahn riding.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #805
Tom-Traveller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
tyres

Hi Jay

I never bought tyres in S-America .... but in Germany almost every dealer will have your size (130/80/17 and 90/90/21) and different brands

check this for ordering online

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...&sort_by=preis

or

http://www.motorradreifen-diskont.at...as1308017.html

or

http://www.reifenversand.com/wbc.php...swahl+anzeigen

It`s in german, but you will figure it out

I personally like the Heidenau K 60 (140/80/17), because it`s lasting a long time, compared to others
Some people recommend the Mitas, they are cheap and good performance

So again, it`s up to you ....

Thomas
Tom-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #806
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
Just ordered a shirt. Great ride, and great entertainment on this end too. Ride safe, we'll be watching.
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #807
marcuss
Mahout

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Plan to cross from Spain into Morocco and head down the West Coast to Senegal, then interior into Mali, down to Ghana and then thru Central Africa. But I think the rains might change my plans...

Hi! I have been lurking around this thread for som time, enjoying it immensely.

Just came back from Africa, doing the Budapest-Bamako rally (sadly enough in a car). We drove through Morocco, Western Sahara, Mauritania, Senegal and Mali. Crossed from Almeria in Spain over to Melilla (Spanish enclave) in Morocco. Over the Atlas mountains, out to the coast in Boujdour, along the coast down to Dakar and straight east towards Bamako going through the Nikolo Koba national park in Senegal.

If you like paved roads you can stick to that all the way. Lots of good desert roads in Mauritania though, but the situation there might not be the safest for someone travelling alone. We had armed guards in the bivouac each night we spent there. Never once felt intimidated, though.

Crossing into Senegal, I would recommend avoiding Rosso. Go about 100 km west to Diama on dirt roads. It was the only crossing we had to pay bribes. € 15 per vehicle to police and customs.

PM me if you would like some gpx-files of the race tracks we drove.
marcuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #808
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Hi Jay
I never bought tyres in S-America .... but in Germany almost every dealer will have your size (130/80/17 and 90/90/21) and different brands

check this for ordering online

I personally like the Heidenau K 60 (140/80/17), because it`s lasting a long time, compared to others
Good info, Thomas Yeah, I like hard-wearing tires I guess I need to read up on what brands are on offer in the EU...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenay kid View Post
Just ordered a shirt. Great ride, and great entertainment on this end too. Ride safe, we'll be watching.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuss View Post
Hi! I have been lurking around this thread for som time, enjoying it immensely.

Just came back from Africa, doing the Budapest-Bamako rally (sadly enough in a car). We drove through Morocco, Western Sahara, Mauritania, Senegal and Mali. Crossed from Almeria in Spain over to Melilla (Spanish enclave) in Morocco. Over the Atlas mountains, out to the coast in Boujdour, along the coast down to Dakar and straight east towards Bamako going through the Nikolo Koba national park in Senegal.

If you like paved roads you can stick to that all the way. Lots of good desert roads in Mauritania though, but the situation there might not be the safest for someone travelling alone. We had armed guards in the bivouac each night we spent there. Never once felt intimidated, though.

Crossing into Senegal, I would recommend avoiding Rosso. Go about 100 km west to Diama on dirt roads. It was the only crossing we had to pay bribes. € 15 per vehicle to police and customs.

PM me if you would like some gpx-files of the race tracks we drove.
Hey Marcuss, sounds like a great trip Yeah, I think I'm going to head straight thru Mauritania and into Senegal and Mali or if I meet up with some riders, maybe head off in the desert there, but yeah, hear it's not the securest of places. And depending on how things go in Egypt over the next month, who knows what impact it'll have on other Muslim countries and the security situation in them I know about Rosso and will be heading for Diama for sure. gpx files would be much appreciated.

With my arrival in Buenos Aires last night, that concludes the Latin America chapter of my trip :) It's been an exciting 340 days on the road, so far, having covered 57,155 kms (35,500 mi). Being taken for a Brazilian who speaks decent Spanish, I've felt very comfortable traversing this continent The ship journey for Europe has been booked and I leave around the 16th. Now the focus is on getting to Africa!

I need to secure a visa for Europe before I leave and now Germany is in the same category as Venezuela for me - they turned me down for a visa saying I can only apply from my place of residence (the US) or India
Going to try at the other EU countries next...

Old 02-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #809
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,979
Quote:

With my arrival in Buenos Aires last night, that concludes the Latin America chapter of my trip :) It's been an exciting 340 days on the road, so far, having covered 57,155 kms (35,500 mi). Being taken for a Brazilian who speaks decent Spanish, I've felt very comfortable traversing this continent

Awesome Jay. Funny thing is that since about Peru, when I speak Spanish to someone, the first question out of their mouth is usually, "Eres Brasilero?" The Argentinos were convinced that I was Brazilian. And the Brazilians seem to think I am Italian. Maybe because I have a bizarre accent from learning to speak a little Spanish in just about every country south of the States.

I think I'm now a man without a country.

crashmaster screwed with this post 02-07-2011 at 02:15 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #810
Ardenito
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:

El fin del mundo. At one end of the world: Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego. It's been a long time coming since Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, about 3 years The road goes no further south in the western hemisphere. Time to turn around and head north for Buenos Aires.
WOW....... what a journey... last time I tuned in to your blog you were entering Ecuador which was exciting for me since my wife and I were there for about six weeks in all (almost) parts of the country..... and I thought of those great roads for biking...... I did get to Buenos Aires and loved it but didn't "do" any other parts of Argentina.... I think you are in for an easy ride north..... all the way thru Brazil...... I just finished reading "Investment Biker".... nothing much about biking but interesting takes on politics and economics..... love your fotos... my trip from BC down the Pacific Coast to my retirement home here in Ajijic Mexico is fast approaching..... will pick up my mint condition Magna V30 in early MAY.....
Adios, que le vaya bien, Arden
Ardenito is offline   Reply With Quote