Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #961
Rider14
Rider14

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Yes! Finally I have my carnet de passage (bike's customs passport) approved for Egypt
Just to get those few red stamps required some crazy bureaucratic acrobatics

Ready to hit the road tomorrow. Goodbye Paris, it's been nice to spend a month here. Probably gained some pounds eating all that chocolate, mmm
Lots of paperwork, change in trip plans and preparing for Africa done. From here, I'm heading to Prague via Frankfurt to meet up with an old friend.
Good luck with the next leg of the journey

- Dan
Rider14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #962
TrevorHeath
Seattle to ??

Oddometer: 78
[QUOTE=
From Humaita to Maraba (dirt sections of the TA), it took me 9 days to cover the 2,070 kms. I'm not on a race and was doing only about 200-300 kms per day. Gas is limited for sure and the longest range needed is 400 kms. From Humaita, there is gas at the town simply called KM 180, then at Apui (+215 kms), then possible to buy from soda bottles at Sucunduri, halfway to Jacareacanga (+248), then the 400 km stretch through the densest part of the route to Itaituba, no gas till there. [/QUOTE]

Jay was this the tightest area for Gas on the entire trip from Colombia down? What in your opinion is the minimum range needed in Km's for a bike today in SA on the routes you took?

Thanks in particular for page 64 an excellent resource!

Trevor
Old 04-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #963
cu260r6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Have you checked out the recent violence in Southern Sudan in the past week? I was thinking of traveling through there this summer, and I might reconsider if it escalates to a full blown insurgancy. Are you planning on getting the visa in Cairo? I might use your expierence to gauge whether or not I'll go.

cu260r6 screwed with this post 04-21-2011 at 11:58 AM
cu260r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #964
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,451
I just joined this RR a couple of days ago and have a lot of reading to catch up on, but it only took a couple of pages before I sent 20 dollars to Paypal to your account.

I figured just your methodical methods and lists at the beginning of the RR were worth the price. I especially like your effective use of CouchSurfing and your emphasis of meeting people. Ride safe!
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:45 AM   #965
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,528
Back on the road and had an easy ride across the rolling country side of eastern France onto the Autobahn into Frankfurt. I had as much fun as one could with 39 horses pulling 700 lbs! Where's that gixxer? Met up with traveling couple Oli and Silke who went thru LatAm a few years ago and had some typical apfelwein (apple-wine) and Handkäse mit music (sour milk cheese).

And yesterday: Rode across eastern Germany taking twisty b-roads thru the Ore Mountains into the Czech Republic to meet up with an old boarding school friend, Harjoth in Prague. Catching up and diving into interesting talks... over a bottle of scotch and slivovice. His liver has a sardarji problem Heading up to the castle in this land of Bohemia.

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #966
TrevorHeath
Seattle to ??

Oddometer: 78
Jay,

I'm sorry if I missed the discussion, (I did go back and search around page 55) but can you tell me what the passage cost from (which port in South America) to Hamburg?

Thanks

Trevor
Old 04-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #967
daveg
no longer homeless

Oddometer: 787
Hey Jay!
It was nice to meet you the other day at Silke and Ollie's. Good luck with your trip... We're stilling drinking the Applewein! Not too much music though.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #968
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

After a nice weekend in Prague, touching base with a close friend, back on the road. Excellent riding thru SW Czech country today. Narrow twisties going thru small, old villages. Crossed back into Deutschland and am at Munich, the heart of Bavaria, staying with Erik, a biker (KTM950) contact who works with tanks

(will reply when I get a better connection)

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 04-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #969
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

To me Munich has always been a significant place as it's the home town of Bayerische Motoren Werke, having owned an old 325i and then a Mini Cooper. And today I had a great visit to the BMW Museum, seeing in the flesh so many automotive and engine beauties that I've dreamed about. I also lucked out on getting the last spot in the factory tour. There's definitely substance behind the brand. In the evening, got some things welded on the bike and paid them with a curry

Old 04-27-2011, 06:07 AM   #970
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,677
Good stuff Jay!

It's always nice when you can barter
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:38 AM   #971
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Rainy and cold ride across Bavaria and into the land of the Alps, Switzerland. Staying with overland biker couple, Thomas and Andrea, who rode 2 yrs thru LatAm and will spend a few days here going over the bike before exiting the EU. Countdown for Africa begins: taking the ferry from Venice on Wed (4th) to Alexandria

Old 04-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #972
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:
Rainy and cold ride across Bavaria and into the land of the Alps, Switzerland. Staying with overland biker couple, Thomas and Andrea, who rode 2 yrs thru LatAm and will spend a few days here going over the bike before exiting the EU. Countdown for Africa begins: taking the ferry from Venice on Wed (4th) to Alexandria
You might run into Holger and Anja in Alexandria....

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #973
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,363
Hey Jay,

What are your plans before Venice? I am in Spain right now but will be back in Vienna on Saturday if you need a place to crash. It's sort of on the way and I have a garage full of tools and DR parts.

Lukas

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #974
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
You might run into Holger and Anja in Alexandria....
Hey Vince, yeah, been in touch with them, but looks like Ill meet them coming off the ferry in Venice. They´re sailing this Sunday, arriving on Wed, just as Im leaving. Want to get some border intel from them
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Hey Jay,

What are your plans before Venice? I am in Spain right now but will be back in Vienna on Saturday if you need a place to crash. It's sort of on the way and I have a garage full of tools and DR parts.

Lukas
Hey Lukas, that would be awesome, but I think Im running out of time here. Im planning to take 2 days from here to Venice, going thru the non-toll roads of Switzerland down to Lake Como and then into Venice on Tuesday.
Your garage would´ve been perfect (I followed your DR build up ) but the bike is already torn down here and I have two more days of tasks to get done before heading out, plus a day to go thru and purge some things that accumulate.
Are your Africa plans still on?

A good day spent wrenching on the bike. Replaced the cam chain tensioner gasket (oooh), but no worries, now I know how to operate one of those Replaced bunch of other gaskets (valve check inspection covers, oil filler, oil filter) and trying to solve the starter gear issue, but no luck. Cant see what part might be causing the loud knocking noise.

Thomas (Tom-Traveler) and Andrea put on an assado this evening and nice way to spend the evening around good food, conversation and fire and DaveG has also rolled up here on his DRZ400. Two zooks to match the two katooms in the garage

Old 04-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #975
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
A good day spent wrenching on the bike. Replaced the cam chain tensioner gasket (oooh), but no worries, now I know how to operate one of those Replaced bunch of other gaskets (valve check inspection covers, oil filler, oil filter) and trying to solve the starter gear issue, but no luck. Cant see what part might be causing the loud knocking noise.
Hey Jay! Wish I knew more on the starter noise. When I took apart the Blown DR motor I had I fiddled with the starter gear some and noticed it pops or extends OUT when it spins, then goes back in. Maybe somehow those gears are going in/out when you shut off motor? Making the bad noise? I'm just guessing.

Of all the DR650 people out there ... can't think of many more knowledgeable than Lukas. I'm sure he could solve the mystery. I don't have a clue on this really. Might be worth a trip up to Vienna?

I took the blown motor apart to cannilballize the Stator ... funny though, after I took the Stator out I COULD NOT get that side case (and starter gears) back on. I was selling for parts so no big deal. Just left it . The guy I sold it to used the case only and got it running. He had 3 DR's and built one good one from parts.

As you know, many have reported the noise you are hearing but I don't think anyone has had a failure related to the starter (except the '99/00 DR's.) Send Lukas your pics ... I bet he knows this stuff.

Good luck, have fun in Italia!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote