User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
SpeedyR OP
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 757
950 SE- clunk in rear?

riding some dual sport stuff with friends last weekend, felt an odd "clunk" in the rear of the bike every so often. More often when off road, or trails, not so much on the pavement sections. I checked for any free play in the wheel thinking it might be bearings, check free play in the shock thinking it might be a loose mount (felt like that). Nothing out of the ordinary.

I'll pull the rear wheel off this week and check the bearings and cush drive, as well as the swingarm, and rear shock but just curious if anyone else had something similar and what it might be? My thoughts are wheel, swingarm, shock, chain, slider? I put the bike on a stand and lifted the rear end up and wiggled things, but nothing felt out of the ordinary. seems on an other bike I had, an old chain was the culprit for a strange feeling in the back of the bike, but i didn't notice any binding in the chain when spinning the wheel...

anyway just looking to see if anyone has felt anything similar or areas to look at? I have about 12k miles on the bike. SPS suspension if it matters (previous owner).
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
SE Steve
Super Noob

Oddometer: 210
Maybe a rock going between the chain and sprocket was it muddy ?
SE Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,003
Grab the rear fender near the taillight and try to lift up, then pull down, repeat rapidly, a giggle some call it.

If you have a sub frame failure you will see and feel significant movement
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
SpeedyR OP
SE in the SE

not a rock in the chain or anything (I do think that happened on my 450 a few weeks ago though, I had 7 of 15 teeth sheered off). not muddy. happened in a few different places, some rough, some smooth, but none on the street.

I'll check the subframe. I don't usually run anything on the back of the bike or a passenger, but I'll see. the original owner had done some riding out west with a GL bag on the back, but I've never had more than a dry bag for a day back there. but good call.

I checked the exhaust as I had one pipe loose a few months ago. felt more mechanical like maybe the rear shock had blown a seal/lost pressure but there's no oil anywhere.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
SE Steve
Super Noob

Oddometer: 210
The reason I say rock in the chain. Is on our trip to Taos a couple guys on 1190s had that happen I was riding next to one and watched a couple rocks get crunched didn't do any damage just made a bunch of noise
SE Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #6
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,741
I would think of rear subframe.

Known to suffer on SEs.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:58 PM   #7
SpeedyR OP
SE in the SE

took the tail section bodywork and rear BDCW rack off, no issues with the subframe, it's solid and no cracks or anything.

one thing I did find, I had two tool kits under the seat for longer trips, and the very back one wasn't tied down to anything. it had rubbed around enough to wear a hole in it and one of the allen wrenches was poking thru the material.

not sure if this was enough to cause the feeling/sensation I was getting but it could have been it. I'll continue to check things out, but that could have been it. easy fix if it is. :)
Old 09-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #8
Mesjr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Check your front sprocket nut . Mine backed off a little in CO. and would cluck slightly .
Mesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #9
Grayjet
Ride on!

Oddometer: 393
Just throwin' out ideas...

Stock disk brakes? The rivets that hold the outer disc to the inner disk can loosen, causing a clacking sound when braking.

Loose chain? My chain got so loose during one ride that it started chattering over bumps and even ate away at my mudflap.

Cush hub? Haven't torn into mine, but maybe the rubber bumpers in there are deteriorating.

Putting miles on the tires!
Grayjet is offline   Reply With Quote