Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
NoSpam OP
Banned

Oddometer: 98
Would You Still Buy an 1190/1190R?

Looking for input from the collective wisdom of the inmates with 1190 ADVs:

The "1190 problems" threads are making me concerned: I have placed a deposit on a 2014 1190R and expect delivery soon. However, am I about to throw money away on a bike that has multiple problems and next to no manufacturer's support for resolution?

With all the threads that I have read here about 1190 problems (airbox, MTC/ABS, engine heat, starting, steering head bearings, etc.) I'm wondering: all you 1190 & 1190R owners out there, would you still purchase the bike with the knowledge you now have about it?

Does the quality of the dealership and their advocacy for you help at all? Am I better off with a different bike?

Looking forward to the responses & Thanks!
NoSpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,127
Without hesitation

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,167
Yes.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,167
Yes
ebrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
jetdocX
Orange Curious

Oddometer: 665
Hell yes.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #6
oldfuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
absolutely! we had minor issues with the SE when it was released too and we worked them out. The 1190 issues will be worked out as well. there's lots of discussion, but in the grand scheme of things the list of "must" fix and "would like" fixed are pretty small and one top shelf issue right now (air box) is less than an $85 USD fix. buy it, install a uni, and ride it...
oldfuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpam View Post
Looking for input from the collective wisdom of the inmates with 1190 ADVs:

The "1190 problems" threads are making me concerned: I have placed a deposit on a 2014 1190R and expect delivery soon. However, am I about to throw money away on a bike that has multiple problems and next to no manufacturer's support for resolution?

With all the threads that I have read here about 1190 problems (airbox, MTC/ABS, engine heat, starting, steering head bearings, etc.) I'm wondering: all you 1190 & 1190R owners out there, would you still purchase the bike with the knowledge you now have about it?

Does the quality of the dealership and their advocacy for you help at all? Am I better off with a different bike?

Looking forward to the responses & Thanks!
The bike is fantastic but let down by bad dealer and importer support in some but not all countries. I'm well cared for by KTM Greece and the 'bike is the best I've ever owned, but I also recognize that the situation is piss poor in other countries. I wish it were otherwise.

If you go into this with eyes open, and being well informed through this forum you should be OK. If you get an approved KTM dealer to:
  • show you their KTM service/ diagnostic computer for the KTM 1190
  • show you their mechanic's training certificate for servicing the KTM 1190
  • agree to fit the Unifilter prior to delivery
  • show you the KTM headed pre-delivery checklist that they will complete
  • assure you in writing that all fluids and pre delivery work will be exactly as per owner handbook recommendations
... then there is not much else to worry about. Some dealers will not be able to comply with the buyer's "checklist" above, so avoid them like the plague.

If the engine heat bothers you after you've ridden say the first 1000 km, there is now a very professionally finished heat shield kit from Wings. Many of the problems you read about relate to either 2013 'bikes which had quite a few manufacturing defects rectified in the 2014 versions, or poor service, or poor pre delivery maintenance checks, or poor after sales care from the dealer and/or importer. Some of the problems arise from owner's neglect - e.g. failure to act on the basic instructions in the owner's manual.

As a prospective buyer, when you read about a "problem", you should really ask yourself whether it is confirmed to exist on a 2014 'bike, is it the owner's fault, is it the dealer/ importer's fault, or is it a basic design and manufacture fault? With the exception of the airbox (solved with Unifilter) I have not encountered any basic design or manufacture faults on my 2014 R.

If I lived in the USA, I would be personally concerned by the apparent lack of care and diligence provided by the KTM USA importer/ distributor, and the lack of equipment, training and expertise of many so-called KTM dealers in the USA. I compare this with KTM in Greece which provides me with excellent support and service. The checklist above will help you sort out good dealers from bad dealers, but there is still a problem at KTM HQ USA and with their communication with KTM dealers and owners.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
I haven't had the pleasure of the 1190 yet, but I have eyes and ears that work and some amount of grey matter in between them and I can tell this is an amzing machine.

I would liken this to the Ducati Multistrada in the sense that, yes...there were multiple issues with the MTS1200 when it came out, but I've done many miles in the saddle of that beast and I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on one if I had the money.
Quite frankly, the 1190R is looking more and more like the bike I was hoping the MTS1200 was going to be....a true go anywhere, do anythin bike...Off road worthy and able to blow the doors off anything on the road!

At the end of the day, the MTS is ok for fireroads, but can't be touched on tarmac....entre the 1190R....Agile and hardy enough to take the worst off road (see Chris Birch videos) BUT....has the horses to real in the MTS1200.....now THAT my friend is well worth it.....DO IT!
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #9
spdtrpl
Red Coat MagnoliaTx

Oddometer: 135
Yes.. I love my 1190!

These forums can give you the impression that all the 1190's have serious flaws, so far my only complaint is the inaccurate speedometer, other than that I am very happy with the bike
spdtrpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
2wdrift
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
re

In short no.

I absolutely love the bike, it is the greatest machine I have ever owned. Its a superbike that can do offroad in complete comfort. Its fking awesome. Its the bike that I will allways remember with great awe and fondness, the ultimate bike in my opinion. The best all round bike available today.

But when KTM refused to do acknowledge the issue with the bike they lost any and all trust I had in them. They simply fucked up my dream bike experience, I doubt I will ever trust this bike in the dessert or anywhere in africa again. They will not even rebuild my motor that has 10000km of hard dusty riding on it practically without an air filter. Thus I am in love with a machine that I can not trust.

The only reason I would not buy it again is because I will now be disappointed by any big adventure bike on the market. I bought it for the power. And nothing else comes close to the power that can also do real offroad riding.
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #11
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 776
Buy it again in heartbeat!
Don't believe everything you hear or read...there have been some issues. Buy the Uni-Filter.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #12
Hilts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Absolutely

I would buy again in a heartbeat. 5000 miles and no issues so far. Reading the internet would make anybody concerned, but I don't think most satisfied customers post their lack of problems on the board.

Hilts
Hilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #13
CanningOz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
The bike is fantastic but let down by bad dealer and importer support in some but not all countries. I'm well cared for by KTM Greece and the 'bike is the best I've ever owned, but I also recognize that the situation is piss poor in other countries. I wish it were otherwise.

If you go into this with eyes open, and being well informed through this forum you should be OK. If you get an approved KTM dealer to:
  • show you their KTM service/ diagnostic computer for the KTM 1190
  • show you their mechanic's training certificate for servicing the KTM 1190
  • agree to fit the Unifilter prior to delivery
  • show you the KTM headed pre-delivery checklist that they will complete
  • assure you in writing that all fluids and pre delivery work will be exactly as per owner handbook recommendations
... then there is not much else to worry about. Some dealers will not be able to comply with the buyer's "checklist" above, so avoid them like the plague.

If the engine heat bothers you after you've ridden say the first 1000 km, there is now a very professionally finished heat shield kit from Wings. Many of the problems you read about relate to either 2013 'bikes which had quite a few manufacturing defects rectified in the 2014 versions, or poor service, or poor pre delivery maintenance checks, or poor after sales care from the dealer and/or importer. Some of the problems arise from owner's neglect - e.g. failure to act on the basic instructions in the owner's manual.

As a prospective buyer, when you read about a "problem", you should really ask yourself whether it is confirmed to exist on a 2014 'bike, is it the owner's fault, is it the dealer/ importer's fault, or is it a basic design and manufacture fault? With the exception of the airbox (solved with Unifilter) I have not encountered any basic design or manufacture faults on my 2014 R.

If I lived in the USA, I would be personally concerned by the apparent lack of care and diligence provided by the KTM USA importer/ distributor, and the lack of equipment, training and expertise of many so-called KTM dealers in the USA. I compare this with KTM in Greece which provides me with excellent support and service. The checklist above will help you sort out good dealers from bad dealers, but there is still a problem at KTM HQ USA and with their communication with KTM dealers and owners.
This is very good advice. If buying an 1190R again, I would do exactly this here in Australia.
CanningOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #14
jameslawson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Yes absolutely!

I bought an '13 standard with electronic suspension pre owned little use from a UK dealer 1600 miles on the clock. Had them do all the recalls, re-flash the ECU enabling MTC and drove it home to Romania 2000 miles in one go.

Bike hasn't missed a beat now its got 5.5k miles and all I've done is ride it, wash it, add a drop of oil, lubed the chain and fitted a Unifilter as a precaution.

In my opinion it's unmatched and the best bike out there.

I say this with an '11 990R in the stable next to it.
jameslawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #15
Black Hills
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
I've been happy with mine ( only 2,000mi.). Install a Uni filter and enjoy.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote