ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #1
godzuki OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
04 950 adv can it run with out

a fuel pump. ive had mine for awhile and i decided that i should replace the fuel pump on it and i ordered a cj facet kit. well among other things i bought from him in this order was this and once i got to the point of removing the old pump imagine my surprise when i remove the skid plate to find no fuel pump there..... hmmm i say i look at the petcock and see a fuel line leaving it and it loops up twoard the air box. ive taken the top off the air box and i see the Y where it goes into each carb. tomorrow i have to remove a tank so i can see the side of this.

for now i cant actually see where that fuel line goes but could it just be that no fuel pump could the engine produce enough vac to pull gas from the tanks.

the whole reason i bought the kit was i thought that the pump was dieing due to 3 to 4 times its just died like it ran outa gas. so i thought well i guess the stocker is going south. my 04 is at 33k ive had it a year now did oil changes i just never realy looked at that lol.

ill know more tomorrow once i get up and pull the right tank to see whats up where that fuel line goes.
godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
Boatman
Upward and onward!!

Oddometer: 10,328
I know for fact it will run until the fuel level gets down to the same level as the float bowls. So yes it will run without a fuel pump.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #3
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 2,022
The carbs won't suck gas, so you need a pump.

Look under the seat, near the air box, that's a good place for a vacuum pump.

Hope you got the Facet that doesn't pass gas when not running? Otherwise you will need to turn off the petcock when the tank is full.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #4
godzuki OP
Gnarly Adventurer

okay update on this (yea yea i know wth took so long well life happens and distraction took hold).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^that guy zuber was spot on. a vac pump bolted to the rear of the airbox, well frack me. well now everything is bolted up and installed very nicely and took several rides including a 3 day weekend in southern IN and working nicely. right up till the last day when i think ive gotten a wee bit O junk in the pilot jet, due to it runs great mid throttle and up but idle and upto that its a spitting sputtering mess that back fires like a mofo on decell, so off come the carbs and tanks and guards and .......weeeeee. but damn i love this bike.
Old Yesterday, 01:18 AM   #5
braaap!
waiting for the big one

Oddometer: 2,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by godzuki View Post
okay update on this (yea yea i know wth took so long well life happens and distraction took hold).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^that guy zuber was spot on. a vac pump bolted to the rear of the airbox, well frack me. well now everything is bolted up and installed very nicely and took several rides including a 3 day weekend in southern IN and working nicely. right up till the last day when i think ive gotten a wee bit O junk in the pilot jet, due to it runs great mid throttle and up but idle and upto that its a spitting sputtering mess that back fires like a mofo on decell, so off come the carbs and tanks and guards and .......weeeeee. but damn i love this bike.

SW7 / ITG filter setup... or Rottweiller... makes the pain just that bit more fun!

braaap! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:06 AM   #6
godzuki OP
Gnarly Adventurer

yep im planning on one of those. has anybody had problems with those intakes on water crossings.
Old Yesterday, 06:04 AM   #7
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
I know for fact it will run until the fuel level gets down to the same level as the float bowls. So yes it will run without a fuel pump.

Yes. What he said. Have done it myself, and have helped others get one running without a pump before. But as soon as the gas level gets below the float bowls, it'll die.

Hi Scott.
Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM   #8
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post

Hope you got the Facet that doesn't pass gas when not running? Otherwise you will need to turn off the petcock when the tank is full.
Ohhhhhhh, I've only filled up once so far, and with the bike on the side stand, and it was gushing something awful by the time I got back from the cashier. Bike came with a Facet. HOW, Thanks Zuber.