ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
luckyducks OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
990 low fender on a 950: My install

I acquired my 2005 950 Adventure recently and it came with a Touratech high fender kit already installed. The original low fender had been removed some time ago and was not included with the bike.

I was curious to feel how a low fender would affect handling and how often my fan kicks on in moderate traffic. So seeing as how the 990 low fender was improved (raised compared to the 950 fender) I decided to attempt an install of a used 990 Adventure fender I got from a ADVRider forum member.

Overall, the R&R was straightforward and made easier by the available hardware that I pulled off to remove the high fender.

One installation downside is that one of the two lower front screws will not line up. I don't think this will be an issue.

Another downside is that the brake lines are now rubbing against the fender and don't have as much guidance to the caliper. I wrapped cotton bicycle handlebar tape around the left side line and used a plastic stop and some tape on the right hand side as well (you'll see it in the photos). My goal is to use some kind of velcro strap setup to make it all more secure and less prone to rubbing (I'm also aware that the right side line can come dangerously close to the spokes. I tried to orient it away as much as possible).

Pictures below. No ride report yet. Overall, it's a different look and not one that I don't like. But functionally, I think it'll work much better for my purposes (road riding).

Before:

After

Details

luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:47 PM   #2
luckyducks OP
Adventurer

I also moved the right brake line back to the low fender retainer. I will test and observe if there are any problems with doing this in the long run (unless any of you foresee any problems?):

Old 01-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #3
Gfeldy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
What did you do with the old high fender?
Old 01-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #4
luckyducks OP
Adventurer

I still got it. Along with the lower fork guards, brackets and misc. hardware.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:24 PM   #5
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 905
Neat, thanks for the details. I put a 950 low fender back on my bike and would have gone with the 990 version had I known about the difference.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #6
Pedaler
Shop Rag

Oddometer: 84
I busted mine.

As many others have. I know the 990s have a little more clearance but it may be a good idea to pop that high fender on for any off roaring. I'm going to try raising my Los fender a bit with dome brackets. That black beauty doesn't look like she's seen much action. Clean ...
the best they'll feel all day. Dean Martin
Pedaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #7
luckyducks OP
Adventurer

Only road action. Which is, quite frankly, where most of my riding is. I appreciate the 950 for the comfort and practicality it brings more than the off-road prowess. Who knows, maybe in a few months I'll have the nerve to take it on to some rough stuff.

Or just a lighter more dirt oriented bike.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:19 PM   #8
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,933
You should go to the 990s type brake hoses. Yours are sketchy.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:59 PM   #9
jmvance1
Mountain cruiser

Oddometer: 51
Thanks for posting I doing the same tomorrow and you answered some questions I had!
jmvance1 is offline   Reply With Quote