Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
jgiacobbe OP
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,282
Feedback on the options I am considering?

New to hackish things. Took the class last week and had a blast.

So to the meat of my post. I am trying to decide my path to hackdom. I have basically 2 major options I am considering.

1. Hack my 09 DL650. Not really my favorite since I really like that bike and don't want my VFR to be my only 2 wheeler. Not sure what car would be good for this either. I'm not looking for too big of a rig.

2. Buy a klr or Dr 650 and mount a velorex 562. I don't want an enduro side car because I want something more enclosed for the wife/pup. This is my currently preferred route.

Either build would probably use a DMC subframe on the bike side.

Either way it will involve a bunch of DIY and learning. Yellow book already ordered. I'm cheap and not made of money so self assembly will be acceptable. I also tend to never take my bikes to the shop. I don't want a Ural. Sorry they don't appeal to me. Took the MSF class just to see what hacks are like. My wife who has a few health issues hasn't ridden for a couple years. Her knees don't like the bend required to ride on the saddle and her bumb shoulder doesn't help either. She has latched onto the idea of riding in a sidecar pretty hard. It doesn't hurt that I had a blast with the little hack in the class and I'm looking forward to having one.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:47 PM   #2
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,605
You can get a good used Wee-Strom for not that much more than a KLR or DR650, and it will make a MUCH better tug
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #3
jgiacobbe OP
Skid plate tester

Now that you mention that, I have a friend selling one cheap.

Would a velorex 562 be too small of a chair? Something tells me yes. Anyone have recommendations for a chair to match a DL650?

jgiacobbe screwed with this post 04-15-2015 at 07:59 PM Reason: spell check butchered my post
Old 04-15-2015, 09:41 PM   #4
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,869
I like the way the M72D looks on a V-Strom--

Old 04-16-2015, 08:10 AM   #5
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 1,204
KLR makes a good ADV rig.

norton(kel) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:23 AM   #6
jgiacobbe OP
Skid plate tester

Of course, another day and other ideas to be considered.

My friend with the cheap DL650 has sold it. Not sure I would want another DL650 anyway. Variety and all that. No point in owning the same bike twice even if you are doing different things with it.

Anyone have thoughts about a DMC M72B on a KLR? Would it be too heavy? I don't see weight listed on the website. The fact that DMC sells the subframe with the car makes a M72B just as afordable as a velorex. Options will make it a wash but the M72B looks like a better chair. Also having the mounts and subframe from the same manufactuer would make for an easier time joining things together.

This rig doesn't need to be fast or especially off roadish. The worst it will probably see is some forest service roads. I do like having some ground clearance though as I get paranoid about encountering items on the road with a 2 track vehicle. Some of the roads I like get softball sized rocks in the middle at times. I'm fine with a cruise of 65 and a top end of 80mph. Basically it would nice to be able to go 100 miles via highway if needed. That isn't my preference though.

Anyone have suggestions for other low cost tugs comparable for a KLR? For now that is what I am leaning towards, so it is the reference point.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #7
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Of course, another day and other ideas to be considered.

My friend with the cheap DL650 has sold it. Not sure I would want another DL650 anyway. Variety and all that. No point in owning the same bike twice even if you are doing different things with it.

Anyone have thoughts about a DMC M72B on a KLR? Would it be too heavy? I don't see weight listed on the website. The fact that DMC sells the subframe with the car makes a M72B just as afordable as a velorex. Options will make it a wash but the M72B looks like a better chair. Also having the mounts and subframe from the same manufactuer would make for an easier time joining things together.

This rig doesn't need to be fast or especially off roadish. The worst it will probably see is some forest service roads. I do like having some ground clearance though as I get paranoid about encountering items on the road with a 2 track vehicle. Some of the roads I like get softball sized rocks in the middle at times. I'm fine with a cruise of 65 and a top end of 80mph. Basically it would nice to be able to go 100 miles via highway if needed. That isn't my preference though.

Anyone have suggestions for other low cost tugs comparable for a KLR? For now that is what I am leaning towards, so it is the reference point.
Pretty ambitious for a KLR!!!
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #8
BMWzenrider
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,105
Probably not your definition of low cost, but I am getting ready to list my current rig for sale.

VERY comfy for the passenger, and has been able to handle more than a few miles of dirt & gravel. (Like all the way across Labrador)

Also pretty capable on snow & ice.

2005 R120RT with a 2008 Hannigan LT sidecar.
Car tire conversion on rear of bike.
Trail reduction.
And lots of other tidbits.
2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.
BMWzenrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:37 PM   #9
jgiacobbe OP
Skid plate tester

I doubt I could afford just the car, much less the whole rig. I'm slowly coming around to the idea of just hacking my current dl650. If I want another 2 wheeled adventure bike I should be able to buy one next year. Towards that thought, I ordered some 4 piston calipers and adapter plates for the DL650 tonight.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:57 PM   #10
BMWzenrider
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post

I think that a 1984 or earlier R90 or R100 Airhead BMW is one of the best low-cost tugs out there, and a Velorex would be about a perfect match size-wise.

One reason why the earlier Airheads make good tugs is the torque produced by the big displacement boxer motor, and the fact that the wheels use tapered roller bearings (just like automotive wheels) in both the front and rear. They are also generally reliable and spares are easy to come by.

-----

And quite honestly, I would recommend that you go looking for a complete rig for your first one. They do show up on Craigslist in most metro areas, and there is always the flea market here, eBay, sidecar.com, IBMWR.org, etc.

You should be able to save money on a complete rig vs. assembling your own, and it would hopefully already be aligned/sorted out properly.
2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.
BMWzenrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:39 AM   #11
CCjon
HighHorse Rider

Oddometer: 568
Assembling a hack

HI, am now in the process of assembling a KLR650 and a DMC sidecar chassis. Here is link to the thread on the US Sidecar site.
http://sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/thr...sts=42&start=1

You might have to join the site to see the photos. They also have a Classified section listing complete rigs and just sidecars for sale.

Most rigs for sale are road cruisers. There are both good and bad 650cc sidecar rigs showing up for sale now and then. Not too many though. A word of caution, some are poorly designed and built. That's why I finally decided to assemble my own. The DMC chassis is a quality product.

Shoot me a PM if you want to talk.

CCjon

Ride to Alaska on a URAL Blog
http://uralinguccc.blogspot.com
CCjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM   #12
UnclePete
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote : ......I think that a 1984 or earlier R90 or R100 Airhead BMW is one of the best low-cost tugs out there, and a Velorex would be about a perfect match size-wise......

I'm in similar position as OP ; new to hacks . Recently bought a Watsonian Monza from a neighbor two blocks away . He would not sell just the sidecar , so the 1982 Yamaha XJ750 came with it . Car and bike were separated for storage , so I have only ridden the bike . Both needed work , but almost ready to put together and start learning .
I have had several Airheads , and now have a 1987 R80 , and the long range plan for the rig has been an Airhead motor . So to the question : Why 1984 and older Airhead ? Why not a Monolever ?
Thanks for any and all clues .
UnclePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM   #13
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWzenrider View Post
Probably not your definition of low cost, but I am getting ready to list my current rig for sale.

2005 R120RT with a 2008 Hannigan LT sidecar.
Car tire conversion on rear of bike.
Trail reduction.
And lots of other tidbits.
Actually my sidecar is going on the block also before long. Just the sidecar not the bike.

99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM   #14
CCjon
HighHorse Rider

Oddometer: 568
Off topic... anyone know why the route number change from 500 to 510 in the two photos above? Same sign. same location, but different numbers.

Ride to Alaska on a URAL Blog
http://uralinguccc.blogspot.com
CCjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM   #15
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,485
Probably something to do with the fact that phase three was still under construction when I rode it.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote