User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #1
SideCarGT OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Hacks needed for Houston area Ride for Kids April 26

I see on my calendar that the Houston area Ride for Kids is coming up. It's a ride that benefits kids with brain tumors/cancer. The different thing about these rides that happen around the country are that local kids who are cancer patients, survivors and their siblings come out and go on the ride with bikers, trikers and sidecar pilots and then have lunch with them afterwards. You'll see every kind of bike there from dual sport to tourers, cruisers and sport bikes.

Sidecars are used to take lots of the kids on the ride and there is no better way to put a smile on your face than to see the smiles from one of these kids in your rig. I'm going down from the DFW area and I've seen folks show up for this from east Texas, LA, Corpus and elsewhere so if you're coming from afar like me, enjoy the ride to get there on Saturday, then do the event Sunday and head home after lunch.

Here's the site for the Houston event and for those who are in other parts of the country, you can back out to the main site to see the ride nearest you. http://pbtf.convio.net/site/TR?fr_id...y#.VS_fA5OrNQI

Chance to help kids with cancer and lunch is included!
Dirt stuff
SideCarGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #2
Bar None
IBM Retired

Oddometer: 5,134
Thanks for the idea.
List of RFK rides
http://www.curethekids.org/events/ri...l#.VS_saBz3-iw

I can probably do this one with my Ural.
2015 Marysville Ride for Kids | July 11, 2015 - Marysville
http://pbtf.convio.net/site/TR?fr_id...y#.VS_suBz3-iw
Old 04-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
Jar675
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I'm going to try and make it. It all depends on my work schedule.
Jar675 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideCarGT View Post
Sidecars are used to take lots of the kids on the ride ....
One thing that GT forgot to mention. The RFK has some common-sense rules about what person may ride on the back of a two-wheeler. They are age & disability/illness -based. That means, if they are short of sidecars that day, someone might not get to ride!

Last year, at the St Louis ride, due to a sidecar shortage I had to take two in the car, not that I minded. One was just "over the age", but was feeling a little weak from the most recent Chemo. The other was about 13-14, but she had had a Post-Op stroke and couldn't manage a back-seat ride.

BUT, had I not showed up that time...

A pic [really need to take some new ones ] for those of you who missed my introduction in the "Show Us..." thread.

Doing something like this really makes all your little cares go away. The gal who had the stroke apologized that she would need help getting into the car, because "my right side doesn't work right anymore. But it's alright, I was blind for awhile until they took out a tumor." All discussed as casually as someone w/ a hangnail. With a smile.

SO:
I hate group rides. I loathe parades. But I'll do this as often as I can.

=========================================

BTW;
That event was the first ride I did as current owner of this rig. I had two days & 170-miles experience. Then it started raining. But I had promised the deceased PO and his widow (who was there) that I would do it.

So, I've got two kids who have been through all this and now they're MY responsibility for the next hour or so. It was an hour of me sweating & repeating "don't screw up, don't screw up, don't screw up, ... "

I didn't.

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is online now   Reply With Quote