User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
DJ1 OP
Chopper Jockey

Oddometer: 236
Loaded weight..revised...

I spent a couple hours searching for info on loaded weight of rigs when loaded for traveling. I was able to find a few comments but nothing with lots of weights.

In some of the builds lately there have been some comments/suggestions not to overload the rig.

What is overloaded? What does your rig weight?(empty or loaded)
I understand the tire weight ratings. I know a lot depends on the rig so I am asking more about the larger rigs, the rigs people have traveled on and have weighed them. The Aussies run big rigs with lots of supplies and gear on them, what are your rigs coming in at for weight? Stroker and some others have some large rigs that looked to be loaded, I think he commented on going to tapered bearings in the rear to handle the weight. Some of the European rigs are large and have a sub frame on top of the frame that the body is mounted on, I know you can build with light weight material but what do they end up weighing.

The few weights that I've found.

Drones.. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=134

Abenteuerfahrers http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....3&postcount=82

Wolfies http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....5&postcount=82

And now the reason I ask....

My wife and I took a short shakedown run the other day, it was overnight with winter gear, double sleeping bags, pads and blankets along with the 2 burner propane campstove and stove top oven, she had homemade lasagna to bake and I wasn't going to leave it behind. I piled in a bunch of tools and some other shit I wouldn't normally take and we were off. I haven't kept track of the weight of materials I've used in the build, I haven't went light duty on anything and there are a few places I could shave off some weight and it wouldn't hurt the structural integrity of it. I haven't had a chance to weight the rig empty but I know the bike alone weights 490 lbs full of fuel
with the telescoping front end, the leading link front end weighs quite a bit more.

Here is what we came up with, we arent exactly little people. I don't know the accuracy of the scale but it is certified for trade.

We had no problems doing the speed limit or exceeding when I wanted, the rig started, accelerated and handled very well, I never would have guessed it was that much. I'm not completely finished with the rig so we have some weight to add to it, not a lot but some.

So what does your rig weigh? Loaded or empty? What is over loaded?

Our other rig, a Sportster powered, Flyrite chopper with Velorex car (shock and axle upgraded) full up gas with an overnight bag and some food in it came in at 940lbs with me on it, wife was on her solo bike.
I know a local guy who travels with his wife on a chromed out HD ultra classic and all the things she needs, it comes in at almost 1300 lbs....... for a solo!

DJ1 screwed with this post 01-02-2015 at 12:37 AM Reason: ReTardery! and other shtuff
DJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
foodog2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Loaded weight...

My GL1800 f6b Hannigan rig is 1200lb and with we add a 500lb loaded aspen camper and 500lb of rider/passenger. So I would say we have had 2350 max with gear in the trunk too but it's a big bike and big car. We can cruise highway speed no problem. I am very careful with the trailer and tend to use the rear break a lot more to stop.

Typed carefully with my thumbs

foodog2 screwed with this post 12-31-2014 at 07:26 PM
foodog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
SLACKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Funny you should ask today.....

I am headed out tomorrow in a Southerly direction with a rig I purchased a few months ago.......It's a V-Strom 1000 put together by Claude for the previous owner.....It's huge compared to my 81 R100 EML Rig....and I haven't driven it fully loaded yet......(yes poor planning but I am known as Slacker...) using unscientific algorithms and bailing wire (and possibly breaking my bathroom scales) I have determined that without myself , GF, or gear (other than my Engel fridge loaded with 21 savory brewskis)she is weighing in at around 1100 Lbs...........Adding my 200 lbs, GF @ 100 Lbs, gear/tools/spares etc I think we are looking at 1600 easily........A little disconcerting ....but perhaps not out of line if I take it easy off tarmac....I have installed a new 530 chain along with lower sprockets........stock is 17/41(2.41) and I am now at 14/47 (3.36) with some spares including a 13 if needed......Running a 165/80/15 rear tire which lowers from stock a bit as well....I have stiffened up the rear shock with a 925 # TFX which Ted Porter recommended but wish I had gone with an even heavier spring ......
Girlfriend pulled my arm and convinced me to take the Autotrain from DC to Sanford Florida (rather than braving 95 in Jan)and from there I don't anticipate much Highway driving as I wind around New Orleans along the Coast and enter Mexico around Brownsville or there abouts..........beyond that it will be relatively slow speeds as I try to be prudent in mexico especially with a 3 wheeled load like this..........I am of course excited but also tempered with some anxiety about driving such a large heavy and rather untested rig ........I plan on posting some pics as the trip progresses.........
A very Happy New Year to All !!!
SLACKER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:33 AM   #4
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLACKER View Post
I am headed out tomorrow.... wind around New Orleans along the Coast and enter Mexico around Brownsville or there abouts..........beyond...... plan on posting some pics as the trip progresses.........
Here's to safe travels Slacker. Looking fwd to tales & pic from the road.
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #5
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,959
I was kinda embarrassed when I posted up my GSA rig fully loaded at 1320 pounds.

Now . . . not so much.

Will be interesting to see what other numbers get posted here.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #6
Sidewise
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Not too portly

My Honda ST1100, EZS, RX5 sidecar outfit, including topbox, panniers, wife and I, weighs in about 1420 lbs. No camping equipment as we don't camp, that's what motels are for!
Sidewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 3,830
Unsure about loaded but mostly full of fuel was good for right near a 1000 pounds.DB
Old 01-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #8
diverdown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Hey Dj1. My Harley adventure rig is 460.kgs. with my wife and all gear for a 12 camping trip and the dog. ( Chihuahua) is 670 kg,s. for pounds times that by 2.2. or 1470 pounds. runs along at 100 km an hour no problem and we take it off road, and beat the shit out of it and stands up.

diverdown screwed with this post 01-01-2015 at 06:03 PM
diverdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #9
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,423
I'm scared to weigh mine.....one of these days I will if the opportunity arises.
We camp a lot when traveling so our loading is pretty heavy. My Wife usually demands a Motel every third night or so.

For longer distance trips we occasionally pull a trailer. The bike seems happier pulling the load rather than carrying it.
Cornering and braking are effected a little bit.

Preparing for an overnight camping trip today. Going to "pack light" for only one night. Smaller tent, less food, less spare clothes, etc.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 01-02-2015 at 12:12 PM
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:41 PM   #10
Bar None
IBM Retired

Oddometer: 4,897
I never carried too much on my ex Ural Yamal. I weight it with me in it at the rock pit and it totaled 960 lbs.

Add the wife and bicycles plus a trunk full of stuff maybe got it up to 1200 lbs?
Actually now that I think about it, that is quite a bit of weight.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:23 PM   #11
seekeronsaltspring
Crazy David

Oddometer: 444
Ural rate from dealer listing

Max Permissible Weight (LBS)
1325 LBS
max weight listed for an gear up to carry.
Attached Images

seekeronsaltspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:36 PM   #12
Old Mule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
just happened to

have stopped st a weighbridge one time on the way to the boundary waters canoe area:

Triumph 650 Steib S350
175 lb me
125 lb wife
all camping gear, food, clothes etc for 2 weeks
tool kit cameras, spare tubes,
gas and water cans
full 4 gal tank
books
etc etc

came out to be 1150 lbs

a lot for 51 BHP but a great trip with no problems
Old Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #13
DJ1 OP
Chopper Jockey

Oddometer: 236
Got a chance to weigh the big rig this weekend. I had a nice sized tool kit and about 3 gallons of gas total on board, other than that it was empty.

900 lbs total.

-Steer 320 lbs

-Drive 380 lbs

-car 200 lbs

I don't feel to bad about them weights. We are upgrading some of our camping gear to lighter weight stuff so that will help.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #14
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 812
I got to weigh my sidecar this weekend when I brought home a bathroom scale from the flea market and swap meet I was selling some stuff at. 5 bucks, woo hoo and I won't get in trouble with the wife for using hers. The scale is accurate as I checked it against a known good one. I slipped it under the wheel of the sidecar and unloaded came up with 130 lbs bearing down on that tire. That info should be useful when I go hack shock shopping in the near future but I've yet to get the total weight of the rig from the gravel yard scales. Right now I'm guessing a shade under 900.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:53 PM   #15
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
I got to weigh my sidecar this weekend when I brought home a bathroom scale from the flea market and swap meet I was selling some stuff at. 5 bucks, woo hoo and I won't get in trouble with the wife for using hers. The scale is accurate as I checked it against a known good one. I slipped it under the wheel of the sidecar and unloaded came up with 130 lbs bearing down on that tire. That info should be useful when I go hack shock shopping in the near future but I've yet to get the total weight of the rig from the gravel yard scales. Right now I'm guessing a shade under 900.
Carl you know that all three wheels have to be level when weighing one at a time.DB