User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
dakdakdave OP
an older,wiser noob!

Oddometer: 383
I wonder what if......

I actually started getting old? After looking in the mirror i had my answer,...bugger,too late.48 and past my best, maybe. I've sailed sharpies,yachts,420's,5o'S built and rallied 8 or 9 forrest cars,serviced numerous drivers and GTP crews,built houses,had familes(and paid for them!) and there comes a time to address the bucket list before time runs away any faster!
People tell me that they consider me a "dor" ,..whatever that is.I only use the gifts given me to achieve the plan I set,no more,no less.I started a couple of projects over the last few years to begin completing the
"buc-kay" list. Some people travel,some paint(insert yada yada yada here) but my mind builds things,usually from others throwaways.So with 23 years as a mechanic professionally and my motorsport interests still in view,i chose to convert this
Attached Images

dakdakdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:12 AM   #2
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,306
what is it?
digga1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:31 AM   #3
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,841
Its an on the cheap trials bike.

She looks great Dave, how does it ride?
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:33 AM   #4
dakdakdave OP
an older,wiser noob!

into this, Yep a chinese bike. so kill me!. This is something that was rattling around in my head for years.Plenty of bikes(both trail and road) have been converted to trials for decades now,refined down to the manufacturer sculptured works of mechanical art ridden by the gifted few...but they began as normal bikes.Only a few years ago a Montessa had a very recogniseable CR engine in full view though remapped and weighted. After visting a few trials events an enquiring of available bikes,the choices were either a 35yo TY.RL or similar as a basket case for $800 through to a runner for $1500-2000, and it was still 35yo with no parts available and scavanging off e-bay.After spending alot of time chasing parts for old rally cars,this was not high on my agenda.I needed parts supply or no go.
My observations began with a friends chinese bike and its gearing. A "250"
with 16/34 gearing as a trail!!! most 250 roadies are set at that! No wonder it sounded flat and off cam.Poor thing.It seemed the only way to get top end from the engine was for the factory to gear it up.My thoughts were,so what should it have? It seems the primary gears(crank to gearbox) are very low,like an ag bike actually. So installing the lowest gearing that fits,should produce a plodder! Combined with the low purchase cost,ideal for a project.
The base bike is a x-motos xb-31 3/4 size kids bike.Inital purchase price,$600 off Trading post locally. 2007 model,electric start,5 speed usd forks with rebound adjusters,rebound and prelod on the shock,small tank,good ergos and dics front and rear.The 3/4 frame brings the overall length down to a trials type size and when larger wheels 21/18 are fitted,it gives fabulous clearance. exceptional turn lock to lock with good downward visuals after the plastics were removed.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakdakdave View Post
serviced numerous drivers and GTP crews
Well............You certainly have done some......uh....er... interesting things.

crash n bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:46 AM   #6
dakdakdave OP
an older,wiser noob!

It rides quite well thanks.
Please be patient,it's my first go at adding pics to a thread. Ok strip time!. To the frame in about 2 hours revealed needle rollers in all shock linkages, predictable and easy assembly/dissassembly with rebuildable shocks and forks. Although the joker I got it from was my size(82kg) and told me it jumps well,there wer no frame cracks or paint cracking on any point of the frame.bonus 1!.Altogether I was quite impressed really!

Being based on a kids 3/4 the pegs had to go back. Some google reasarch revealed the wheelbase to peg position ratio of a new trials bike was around 32% to the rear.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #7
Russ

Oddometer: 15,374
^^ need some boots or some spare toes.
Russ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:51 AM   #8
dakdakdave OP
an older,wiser noob!

Messed up that picture! DOH! this gives some idea of the smaller size of the frame against my DRZ. So the pegs had to go back ,next step.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 AM   #9
dakdakdave OP
an older,wiser noob!

ok ok service numerous drivers RALLY CARS and GP CARS ......there is no grace here is there!
a little touch with the plasma cutter and the TIG,viola!
I actually chickened out and set the peg ratio at 39% to get used to it a little first.They can be cantilevered back quite easily afterwards when required.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2011, 01:08 AM   #10
dakdakdave OP
an older,wiser noob!

a little touch of Brisbane rain.......... and the job became the Christmas project!It was better in the shed anyway,thats my story and i'm sticking to it. After the peg,brake pedal and stand mounts were fabricated and moved back approx110mm.I added in some default side car mounts just in case i'm a really crap trials rideras well. The paint was selected from that great green shed. It had to be durable,satin,and non descript. Colourbond colours! 3 cans from Bunnings thieves and no matter where it gets scratched,just pick a can and spray. Hence the camo colors.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2011, 01:10 AM   #11
dakdakdave OP
an older,wiser noob!

frame painted with the lenghtened swing arm....opps the swingarm.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2011, 01:13 AM   #12
dakdakdave OP
an older,wiser noob!

take one swing arm that normally fits a 17"motocross knobby.....slash off in 30seconds or so with the plasma( i love non rego bikes!)
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2011, 01:17 AM   #13
dakdakdave OP
an older,wiser noob!

and add 2 inches for fun. Actually this was to fit the larger rim but serves two purposes as it softens the rear shock alot which is great for the trials concept.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2011, 01:20 AM   #14
dakdakdave OP
an older,wiser noob!

It amazing that when you ask your brothers to help they never come without offering beer....however after a couple of tubes
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2011, 01:25 AM   #15
dakdakdave OP
an older,wiser noob!

The engine is a Zongshen 250. It's a pushrod fella but it's a bit tubby
Attached Images