Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM   #1
drussdog OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Question Clutch problem? oil getting in.

G'day

I have a 2010 1200gsa with 45,000km on it and the clutch is slipping in the top gears under heavy acceleration. (not all the time and i can go hard in the lower gears, normal riding is ok) I have only had it for 2k and the problem was discovered not long after i paid the cash (duh). Anyway after a bit of research my guess is that it is oil on the clutch. My questions are as follows

1 I can live with the problem as is for a while, but will it get worst of just stay the same given it's not worn out?

2 If i add a gasket repair/sealer into the oil and the leak stops will the clutch dry out and work better or once a bit of oil gets on it is it ruined for ever?

note: i have had success with casket sealer on a old VW.

3 i have been quoted $3000 plus for a replacement, is the seal is gone too will they add another big $$$ amount to fix that?

4 anyone else had similar problem and did you do anything that helped apart from replace the unit.

Thanks guys, trying to avoid a big repair bill if i can at least for a while.
drussdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM   #2
The Other JC
4 year lurker..

Oddometer: 191
Fixed my own

See my signature for the link to my DIY fix for the same issue, assuming yours is the same cause!

If you are not a DIY mechanic, then it will be expensive to fix.

I have never heard of adding gasket repair/sealer to oil and would not recommend doing so.

It will likely get worse.

The seal is the cheap part, the expense is the new clutch assembly and man hours to complete the job.
The Other JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM   #3
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by drussdog View Post
G'day

I have a 2010 1200gsa with 45,000km on it and the clutch is slipping in the top gears under heavy acceleration. (not all the time and i can go hard in the lower gears, normal riding is ok) I have only had it for 2k and the problem was discovered not long after i paid the cash (duh). Anyway after a bit of research my guess is that it is oil on the clutch. My questions are as follows

1 I can live with the problem as is for a while, but will it get worst of just stay the same given it's not worn out?

2 If i add a gasket repair/sealer into the oil and the leak stops will the clutch dry out and work better or once a bit of oil gets on it is it ruined for ever?

note: i have had success with casket sealer on a old VW.

3 i have been quoted $3000 plus for a replacement, is the seal is gone too will they add another big $$$ amount to fix that?

4 anyone else had similar problem and did you do anything that helped apart from replace the unit.

Thanks guys, trying to avoid a big repair bill if i can at least for a while.
Personally I would try to live with it for as long as possible, as I don't have that kind of $$ laying around.
Can you see any signs of a leak from between the housings? I wouldn't do anything to fix a problem until diagnosis is confirmed.

Having said that. You could change the oil and oil filter ensuring that its not overfull.

Is there a breather hose somewhere that could be blocked?

Good luck
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM   #4
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
Thumb

Excellent thread OJC http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724130 Very useful.

dirtsurfer screwed with this post Yesterday at 07:44 PM Reason: make better
dirtsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM   #5
drussdog OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsurfer View Post
Personally I would try to live with it for as long as possible, as I don't have that kind of $$ laying around.
Can you see any signs of a leak from between the housings? I wouldn't do anything to fix a problem until diagnosis is confirmed.

Having said that. You could change the oil and oil filter ensuring that its not overfull.

Is there a breather hose somewhere that could be blocked?

Good luck
Thanks, i have had it serviced at BMW and they say its a oil leak. Hence the big buck repair bill.

If it stays like it is i could live with it for while. Hope it does not get worst.
Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM   #6
drussdog OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other JC View Post
See my signature for the link to my DIY fix for the same issue, assuming yours is the same cause!

If you are not a DIY mechanic, then it will be expensive to fix.

I have never heard of adding gasket repair/sealer to oil and would not recommend doing so.

It will likely get worse.

The seal is the cheap part, the expense is the new clutch assembly and man hours to complete the job.

I am happy to do maintenance and most jobs but splitting the bike in two with all the wiring involved etc is a job that i fear is beyond me without the prospects of a lots of stress, swearing and bad moods for weeks as i work long hours. I tip my hat to you for your effort and great post.
Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM   #7
Uncle Crumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
not sure if the 1200 is the same, but would assume similar to the 1150, if you pull the starter motor, and like laying on the floor, you should be able to see if the plate is contaminated which will at least give you a starting point.
Ducati 907ie.83 TT600 KTM 640 Adventure
Etz 250 Guzzi Quota 1000
Uncle Crumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:34 AM   #8
CrazyZ9
More sheds

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Crumpet View Post
not sure if the 1200 is the same, but would assume similar to the 1150, if you pull the starter motor, and like laying on the floor, you should be able to see if the plate is contaminated which will at least give you a starting point.

What he said, could be the breather on your gear box blocked and putting pressure on the seal, I doubt your clutch would get oil on it from the motor
CrazyZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote