User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,685
SCAM warning ---- the SCAM mega thread

I was a target, and many of you will already know of this type of scam but...

SCAM warning. (Posted in Gravelsurfers; Oz sidecars; Oz Adventure Riders & Adv Rider)

I listed my 950 on bikesales.com.au and within a very short time got a reply.

Some bloke wanting to buy it, sight unseen, offering $13500. Claimed to be a South Australian working as a marine engineer off the coast of Queensland. He wanted to pay via PayPal and asked that I take the advert off. He also wanted the bike picked up, as he wasn't able to do it.

Hoping that this was fair dinkum - you let these things play out - I created a PayPal account and sent two payment requests (paypal has a $12500 limit) to his email address.

The response, via what appeared to be a PayPal email, was that he'd deposited $14500 into my PayPal account, but that this wouldn't be cleared until I had transferred, via Western Union, $1000 to his carrier. I could then forward the details of this transfer to PayPal, using a scanned copy (!) and PayPal would credit my account with the $14500.

There was an address in the UK where I had to send the $1000. It was supposed to be his 'international carrier' that he always uses. Google Earth located what looked like a house in a typical English suburban area - where all the houses are identical except for the street numbers and the amount of crap on the front yard.

I don't think I'll be hearing from the fellow again. My last message to him was that I had no intention of paying him anything so he could buy my bike.

PayPal, Bikesales & ACCC have all been informed.

Why would he expect me to believe that PayPal would use Western Union to protect their clients???

No, I don't feel like a goose. I thought it may be too good to be true when the first reply came, and it was. That's not to say that I didn't want it to be true! I nearly had the money spent!

Now is the appropriate time for the "Not this Shit Again" photograph, 'cause this shit could cost one of us cash and/or a bike.

It must work sometimes, otherwise why would they bother?

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,895
Well done for seeing through this little scam Ray..

I have seen the results of someone getting caught up in one of these scams.. The lady that used to live next door to one of our rental properties decided to trust a so called good friend and let him invest her money for her.. She had receintly had her devorse settlement paid to her and handed over the $110 000.00 so he could invest it at 18% in a guarranteed return.. Some bank in England apparently and she was told that she could remove her money at any time.. No need to go any further with details... They all end up the same..

Felt really bad for her as she had planned to use that money as a deposit for her own home and lost the lot..

"Troy was wrong!" - DRjoe
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,549
Sadly a lot of people get caught with these bastards. They prey on your goodwill and abuse it. The cunts should be strung up and fucking shot!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
johno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,911
Anyone that deals with Ebay will know they warn people re Western Union.
But some still get conned.

We all need to be on guard, there is always someone trying to make a quick quid.

Now if you just transfer some money to me, I will turn it to good use
Old 03-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
that's reasonably imaginative of the scheming fokkers

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
carmima
All Orange :-)

Oddometer: 2,951
One of my brothers got caught last year. He was trying to find cheaper accommodation next to big park in New York and found something that seemed to good to be true (of course it was). The whole Western Union thing was used and of course arriving in New York at said location saw an empty block of land!

Lost $3000aud - and I can't believe he fell for it
carmima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
Swamp Thing
...calmer than you are.

Oddometer: 52
Am I glad to read your post SCray !! I put my DR on bikesales yesterday and have had the exact same thing happen. He contacted me almost immediately, saying he would pay full price and that he wanted to use pay pal. He had a funny way of talking, ie the way he made up his sentences. Anyway, he also said the had an agent who would pick up the bike and he wanted me to invoice him through pay pal. I noticed his postcode was 7332, i checked it and there is no 7332 in Australia/Tasmania. Ad to that, his mobile number started with a 3. I was a bit sus so I wrote back to him and asked for a number I could call him. He said he was away with work and that he was uncontactable because he worked in a secure place that couldn't receive phone calls. I'm ex military and worked in plenty of secure places, top secret and above and I'm yet to remember one that didn't have a phone ! Anyway, I told him I would go ahead with the sale, but only via a bank transfer. I was planning on opening a new account, linked to nothing, with nothing in it, just in case. Now, after reading your email, I won't even be replying to him. He said his name was Peter Rootes and his email address was p2rootes@gmail or something similar. I just told my wife, finally, all the hours I spend on advrider have paid off !! Thanks for putting it out there.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #8
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,920
I had the same thing tried on me when I sold my last 4x4. After a lot of back and forths with Paypal (They do need to be told about these things as they try to track down the scammers) I found out the same things you just did. There is NO tie-up between Western Union and Paypal, never has been.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
Jaqhammar
Hooligan

Oddometer: 2,726
All you have to do is get the buyer to send the money to your paypal account.
Then paypal automatically transfers it to your bank account.
Then you check with your bank to make the payment is there, after Paypal says they transferred it.
Then you send the buyer the goods.

I'm kind of at a loss to understand how people are being conned here?
Don't tell me any of you have considered sending the goods before you've checked that the funds are in your bank account?

You can also send scammers email addys and all other info to the FBI Internet Fraud office and the Interpol Internet Fraud office.
They do get results...my friend Agneiska having got $2000 back from a New York company after only one phone call from the FBI NY branch.
(Company 'accidently' added a zero to a transaction.)
Old 03-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #10
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Thing
He had a funny way of talking, ie the way he made up his sentences.
That is because "he" is actually a computer. Don't believe for a moment that you are dealing with a real person and a keyboard here. What you are being subjected to is a fully automatic computer driven scam. The only human involvment is the sophistiacted programing up front that uses key words in your emails to generate contextual replies and the people who spend the money at the far end.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:16 AM   #11
Zurgg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Way to spot that scam Ray

I recently came across a scam when looking for a lightly used kato. I saw a bike in the autotrader.com.au that was a nice 06 450EXC with low kms in Sydney for quite an overly low price. It had photos of the bike on a stand in a driveway that looked good for an inner suburb of the city. Thought maybe the price could have been a typo.

I started to get sus when there was no contact number to enquire about the bike. There was simply a hotmail address to state your interest. So I sent an email from one of my own hotmail addresses asking about a contact number to talk about the bike and an interest in coming over to see it.

About a week later I got a reply email that read a bit like someone who struggled with english.

See below for the email the cocks@#ker sent back. My reply started with an F and ended with a U. Reported to autotrader and it was taken down.

email from robertbrut42@hotmail.com

Hi ,
I see that you are interested in purchasing my bike.
You must know that the bike is in showroom condition, never dropped, always garaged, it has never been involved in any accident and has neither scratches nor rust. I have never raced or abused it in any way no wheelies. The engine runs perfect. There are no further investments required and the title is clear. I have all the legal documents so I can transfer all the papers to your name.
The total price of the bike is AUD $ 3.300, including shipping. I sell it because I have definitively moved to UK and I can't afford taking the bike with me because of the expensive fees, that's why I'm selling it so cheap. The bike is in Australia at the shipping company.
The bike is located in Darwin, NT packed and ready for shipping.
If you want to purchase the bike, please e-mail me back and I will explain you how the payment and shipping will take place!

Regards,
Robert
Old 03-04-2009, 01:32 AM   #12
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,390
Well caught. I had a similar experience a few years ago when I was selling some bike stiff through the Qld BMW web site.

Some bloke who claimed he in the US and was working out of town, but had a cheque of a larger amount than I was asking. "His" request was for him to deposit said cheque in my account and me to send him the extra. I sent him a photo of a very large black man, with a very large appendage that I keep for just such situations as an answer.

BTW: the BMW club web site was changed not long after that, and is now all but impossible to get into......even for members.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:37 AM   #13
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,813
It seems that the general rule of thumb for stolen goods is that they "retail" for about a third of legitimate retail.

Dunno what these bikes retail for normally, but it might fit the profile...

viz
Old 03-04-2009, 01:40 AM   #14
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME

BTW: the BMW club web site was changed not long after that, and is now all but impossible to get into......even for members.
Its fucking ridiculous how hard it is to get into it!! Try getting anyone who can help you replying to an e-mail, thats like extracting teeth from a fucken chicken!!

I hadn't thought about it much but I had a similar thing happen with a car I recently sold. Penny only dropped after reading a few of the replies. The "interest" stopped when I requested a phone number??
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:07 AM   #15
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Thing
He said his name was Peter Rootes and his email address was p2rootes@gmail or something similar. I just told my wife, finally, all the hours I spend on advrider have paid off !! Thanks for putting it out there.
Hey I know that guy

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote