Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
9Dave OP
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,697
"Which GPS Do I Buy" Thread Fest - Ask your question/Find your answer HERE!

This is the place to look for information on "Which GPS should I buy", et.al.

It is a collection of the last 12 to 18 months of similar questions and answers from the Layin' Down Tracks forum.

The older posts have been saved in this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363482

Please note that if you post a similar question in the forum, it will be merged into this thread to contribute to the collective knowledge regarding "Which GPS is right for me"

Dave

dunno.....

9Dave screwed with this post 07-16-2008 at 07:53 PM
Old 06-17-2007, 09:24 PM   #2
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,999
I suppose you might find more info here...I will be using an Intaride EVO+BT & Liberty unit. I don't have personal knowledge of the other units on the market.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
Old 06-17-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy
JR, why the 276 more than the Zumo for offroad? Is it something in the function or in the chassis that makes it more suitable?
off road,or no road.

276 has all of the true navigation and track back features.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
Old 06-18-2007, 01:15 AM   #4
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,446
Hi,

As frewhl mentioned,it's more for the multiple nav features that you might need off road.

Remember that the x76 series are originally built as marine units,so they are built for better element protection and there is a whole lot of actual use experience out there,whereas the Zumo is still relatively new.

The x76 series is also one of the few acceptable units that Helge Peterson and his Globeriders organization recommend for their trip participants.

JR356
Old 06-18-2007, 09:34 AM   #5
htbyron
n00b - now with a thumper

Oddometer: 287
http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html
Old 06-18-2007, 02:26 PM   #6
fallzboater
Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Oddometer: 507
I just bought an etrex Legend Cx because: a) I'm not made of money, and; b) I wanted something light enough that I could use it on my MTB or for mountaineering as well. According to Garmin's specs, the battery life is about double the 276, and it weighs less than half as much. I'm sure the 276 is a nicer unit, but the Legend Cx probably has enough functionality for most users. Load and save waypoints and tracks, follow routes, etc.

If one had the funds for both a 276 or Zumo for bike/car, and a small unit for hiking, that'd be the way to go.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:57 PM   #7
jkersh1
Live it, or live with it

Oddometer: 63
If you don't have to have a Garmin, take a look at the Magellan Roadmate 2200T. Looks like it comes out of the same Chinese factory as the Zumo, and has a list of features, and disadvantages, that is very similar. Color touch screen, SD memory card storage, MP3 and photo (?) files, 8 hour Li-ion battery life, and same size. Biggest disadvantage of both IIRC is the inability to load complete routes from Mapsource et. al.

A very un-Zumo price of $250 at Costco. I bought one for Father's Day, but returned it after failing to get it to talk to my Win98 laptop.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #8
TomW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallzboater
...If one had the funds for both a 276 or Zumo for bike/car, and a small unit for hiking, that'd be the way to go.
Yes, the etrex is smaller and lighter than the 276 or Zumo, but has a much smaller screen. 'Boater makes a good point about having separate GPSs for riding and backpacking. I still use an old GPS III+ for hiking.

Cheers.
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

So many toads; so little rhyme
Old 06-19-2007, 10:18 AM   #9
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,891
Pictures?

So far I haven't noticed or maybe run across side by side pictures of the 2610 - 2820 series next to a 550. I'm curious to see how the screen sizes compare. Also odd is that I still haven't found a 550 in a store.

Pat aka Geeeze
Old 06-19-2007, 02:52 PM   #10
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Question A GPS question, from a GPS newbie ....

Greetings everyone .....

I just got back from a Rally out in Eastern Oregon, had a great time, but wished I had a GPS unit. I talked to several people at the Rally, and they all had Garmins, but different makes and models. The one I fully remember is the Zuma. I think another one was a 26cx7, or something like that ....

Anyhow .... I don't need the newest of the new, and I would like to save some bucks if I can and score something off of E-Bay possibly, or get some sort of refurb unit, etc ....

Could you all give me some information on units that are only slightly old, so they still take the SD Card, and give hotel / food information, as well as of course, route info, statics info (speed, etc) and stuff like that?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Take it easy and ride safe everyone!

G.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
Old 06-19-2007, 03:08 PM   #11
EdOriginal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Recommendation

have had a Magellian 2200 for 3 months and love it.
Had a Garmin but got frusted continually with 1 1/12 hour battery life...defeated the use of the GPS.

Megellian 2200 comes with simple operation, MP3 Player, SD memory card,
Photo viewing of the screen. Address list to store common destinations, and multiple trips can be combined/connected. The beauty of the 2200 is it's simplicity. $299 at Costco. It is not water proof but I keep a plastic bag to cover it as needed. Attached a cord to the mount (incase a bump causes it to bounch loose) and use the suction cup on the inside of my 1150GS Windscreen. Have a mount also for attaching to a KLR650.

New is usually cheaper. This 2200 sold for $400 6 months ago.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:54 AM   #12
Kieth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Zumo 550

One thing you will find is that the output for the mp3 files is not stereo, and any interface with the bluetooth is not stereo. bluetooth only may not be the end all solution........
Old 06-23-2007, 03:51 AM   #13
sbn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
gps

what motorcycle gps are you using?
Old 06-23-2007, 04:01 AM   #14
Voyager61
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
My first GPS will be a TomTom Rider v2 (w Europe) ... should arrive in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it.

V61
Old 06-23-2007, 04:02 AM   #15
ScEd
Dances with Deer

Oddometer: 284
Old Garmin GPS-V
Closed Thread