Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #16
kawalaser
Hip to be square

Oddometer: 8,444
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas
I will never sink to the level of stealing from the homeless.
kawalaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #17
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 8,997
My first bike was a Honda. CB125S

Also owned a CB350F, and an XR500

I have a Honda lawnmower.

None of the four-wheeled Honda offerings have ever appealed to me. I guess I could say the Acura NSX is pretty neat but it does not have a Honda badge in the U.S.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #18
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,584
My first brand new car was a 1st gen Civic, a '77 with the CVCC engine. Fun little car, but not the bullet proof reliability everybody credits to Honda. It lost the head gasket at 11,000 miles and again at 50k. The struts were all gone by then too. But my overriding memory was when the carburetor was in need of a rebuild around 1980 and no kits were available. Honda wanted over $300. for a new one. (in the late 70's early 80's, 3 Benjamen's would buy you an entire long block 350 Chevy!) I bought a Weber instead and built an adapter plate to bolt it up to the manifold. The lil bugger would go like hell but never saw much over 28 MPG again.

First new motorcycle was a CX500 in 1979. It broke a timing chain adjuster in the first 3 months. Again, that legendary Honda reliability just never seemed to work for me. But I still loved the bike. After getting married and my bride commandeering the CX for herself, I bought a CB900 in '80. Now that one was bulletproof! Kept it until '98.
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:20 PM   #19
donnyh
Waiting for the Sun

Oddometer: 5,945
Of all the Hondas to love, I loved my MB5.

(not my pic)
donnyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #20
sm2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Laugh

I've owned a '97 Civic LX since new. Just clicked over 310,000 miles a couple weeks ago. No major repairs, just maintenance. I've driven like a sports car most of the time I've owned it and have only recently begun easing off a bit. I want to see how many miles I can get out of that car before it dies.

Edit: Forgot to mention, it still averages 35 to 38 mpg, depending on how, where I drive.

sm2 screwed with this post 03-17-2010 at 03:30 PM
sm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #21
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,796
If some marketing survey person came up to me and said tell me what comes to mind when you think of Honda?

Quality.

Saw a TV commerial a month or two ago. GM boasting about their line up of (certain) cars getting the same mielage as Honda's. Maybe. Are they going to last as long? Have fewer problems? Almost certainly not. Then, the arrogant capper: Something along the lines "But then again we don't sell these": (View of a Hoinda lawn mower).

Doesn't that say it all? GM wouldn't even think of building a lawn mower. Its beneath them. And if they did their first stab would be Vega like. Chrylser should have been let to fail, as a warning to GM. And if they don't get their (I mean partially my) shit together they should go away too.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #22
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,120
I liked mine okay.

Love is a strong word.

EDIT: Now that I've though about it for a moment, I can barely remember owning or driving the thing. Other cars I owned in that time period or prior were not as good, objectively, but I can remember them.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #23
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon

one of my favorites as well.
-1. I've been driving Honda cars for 25 years. Will continue for another 25 years. Bought a Honda mower. When it broke under warranty I borrowed my neighbor's 5 year-old Toro while the Honda was being fixed. When the Honda came back I sold it as fast as I could and bought my own new Toro. Toro was 10 times easier to mow with than Honda, did 10 times better job.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #24
NativeSon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrider
-1. I've been driving Honda cars for 25 years. Will continue for another 25 years. Bought a Honda mower. When it broke under warranty I borrowed my neighbor's 5 year-old Toro while the Honda was being fixed. When the Honda came back I sold it as fast as I could and bought my own new Toro. Toro was 10 times easier to mow with than Honda, did 10 times better job.
mine's 20 years old and runs like a dream.
NativeSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #25
Ursa Major
Aghast

Oddometer: 841
Here's some Honda love for you:

http://automobiles.honda.com/mile-makers/

Only one I've ever owned is my current '08 Acura MDX (if it's built on the same line in Ontario as the Pilot, Ridgeline and Odyssey, it's a Honda). No problems after 22,000 miles, but then I wouldn't expect any after that mileage. I bought the Acura extended warranty, 8yrs/120k miles, for half price from a dealer in RI over the 'net. I expect this will serve my AWD/ winter/ utility needs for a long time to come. Frees up the other spaces in the garage for fun rides..

I always liked Honda more than any other Japanese brand, they seemed to be engineering-driven, efficient, innovative, and fun to drive (on a relative basis). They've seemed to lose their way in the last few years, though. The new Accord does nothing for me (I liked the last-gen for what it was), and the Insight is a fiasco. They're also slowly reducing availability of manual transmissions with nicer and/or sportier trim lines, but that's not unique to Honda, unfortunately.

Edit: Oh yeah, I owned a CM400 for a month or so in the late '80s, but I think I was drunk at the time. That's my excuse, anyway.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #26
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,188
Honda

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:16 PM   #27
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 18,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™
Since we have you Honda people here in one spot, lemme axe you summin.

Why all you bitches in Accords and CRVs drive like weenies? There's a pedal on the right side of that footwell. Use it!

I had a 98 Accord. It saw an indicated 120 mph many a time.
75,000 miles and not even ONE defect, or adjustment EVAR.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:29 PM   #28
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,725
Honda makes cars?
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #29
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 18,757
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:39 PM   #30
Gillmartin
Desultory Dilettante

Oddometer: 1,638
I love my Civic Hybrid. I'd rather eat worms then buy a Honda bike.
Gillmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: