Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #91
Censport
Vendor

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousracer View Post
so since you sold the subie .. you ready to sell that censport?
Not yet. Deciding on whether to sell it or the Jag. May paint the Jag and sell it, as it could bring "real" money.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #92
Kris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
My only Honda was a '94 Civic DX, It was the real stripped one, 13" wheels. no power steering, just air conditioning and a radio. It was actually a fun car to drive kind of like a go kart. It could achieve 40 mpg if you were 60% on the highway. Was completely reliable too. Too bad we now have to buy a complicated hybrid or an overpriced diesel if we want that kind of milage. Although it looks like they are finally serious about gas milage with some of the current models.
I have liked some of the Civic SI models especially the years with the manual shift on the dash board. but used prices are so high for what they are. .
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #93
NativeSon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixnfly View Post
If GM could match honda's reliabilty they would have never needed a goverment bailout
that may be, but right now GM & Ford are eating Honda's lunch.

In the last year, it became very apparent that Honda's lost it's way (and definitely Acura too). When I started this thread two years ago, it wasn't nearly as apparent. I hate to say this, but I would think long and hard before buying a new civic over a chevy cruze or ford fiesta, and who the hell ever thought we'd be saying that. I've read some rumors that honda's problems started with the Honda Jet, and other rumors that they just rested on their laurels. Either way, I think they got the message. Meet the new NSX:

It's expected to compete with the Audi R8. Hopefully Honda can get their shit together and produce cars like they used to.
NativeSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #94
NativeSon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
I have liked some of the Civic SI models especially the years with the manual shift on the dash board. but used prices are so high for what they are. .
I loved that little hatch. That may be my favorite honda of all. And that stick shift looked like it was straight out of an alfa romeo, reminded me of the driving scenes in The Graduate.

I see the current GTI and think to myself that's the car Honda should be building. Light, fwd, stick shift, good mpg's.... I will admit though, I think Mazda picked up where Honda stopped with the Mazda 3. What a great little car.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #95
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Not sure what has happened to change your mind NativeSon, I don't have to buy one but for every 10 or so years of trouble free driving.

Wife started with this '93 legend, 0-100K having to replace the battery. Passed on to my son 100K-185K having to replace the speed sensor.

Sold 2 summers ago at 17 years old for 3 grand.

Bought her an '01 RL when we passed the Legend on to my son, 0-110K had to replace the battery last week. She is now hinting towards an MDX.

Took the 3K from the Legend and bought my son a used private party TL with 24K on it, currently has 47K trouble free miles.

Love the XRR.

One of my favorites, an '01 CR250R I did a complete resto on last winter.

There is no hesitation in looking at an MDX Sport.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #96
NativeSon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
Not sure what has happened to change your mind NativeSon, I don't have to buy one but for every 10 or so years of trouble free driving.

Wife started with this '93 legend, 0-100K having to replace the battery. Passed on to my son 100K-185K having to replace the speed sensor.

Sold 2 summers ago at 17 years old for 3 grand.

Bought her an '01 RL when we passed the Legend on to my son, 0-110K had to replace the battery last week. She is now hinting towards an MDX.

Took the 3K from the Legend and bought my son a used private party TL with 24K on it, currently has 47K trouble free miles.

Love the XRR.

One of my favorites, an '01 CR250R I did a complete resto on last winter.

There is no hesitation in looking at an MDX Sport.
I'm driving an 03 accord coupe with the v6 and have had pretty good luck with it.

I used to think Honda's level of dependability and quality were unrivaled, and what they lacked in aesthetic beauty, they more than made up for in years of trouble free driving. That second gen Legend truly was the best car Acura ever made (excluding the NSX).

It's not that I think Honda isn't a good car. I think they're still as reliable and worry free as they've ever been. However, I think all the other car brands have made such huge strides in reliability and quality that Honda no longer has an advantage. Take a good look at Hyundai. They're every bit as reliable as honda, less expensive, and the styling is better. Honestly, I think the only product Honda sells anymore that still competes well with the competition is the Fit. I've only seen one new CRV on the road, I'm curious to go check one out.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #97
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon View Post
Take a good look at Hyundai. They're every bit as reliable as honda, less expensive, and the styling is better.
You are correct, I was pleasantly surprised when the wife brought home a brand new V6 Sonata she had received as the rental for a business trip.

Fit and finish was top shelf, motor was smooth, well equipped, and drove comfortably. A company who has come a long way considering they are putting a horse in the race with the big boys.

This will be a great bargain as a used vehicle in about 5 years. It reminds me of how well Lexus had to do when they planned on going toe to toe with the likes of MB and BMW, in building the first gen LS400.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #98
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
I used to think Honda's level of dependability and quality were unrivaled
I really used to believe this with the power equipment division and their mowers/snowblowers, both of which I currently own (on my second set of each). I'm definitely not so convinced anymore having seen the competitions offerings my neighbors and family have purchased. They still have top notch generators of which I see abused daily on the job site and keep coming back for more.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #99
Censport
Vendor

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Can we just get one giant Honda lovefest going? Plllease?

By the way, I just wanted to note that the above picture was taken at the Lane Motor Museum, where I volunteer. The 1967 Toyota Sports 800 parked in front of the roadster is a car I've driven a few times. Both cars are in the basement now, waiting their turn in the rotation to come back upstairs.

Okay, now it's back to the previously scheduled debate...
Old 01-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #100
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,845
Love is such a strong word to use about stuff.

I love my wife, my kid and my dog.

I enjoy my vehicles.

Most of my vehicles over the years have been honda's

Bikes
FT500
CB750
NT650
CB350
CB350
CB700
VTR1000f
VTR1000f
XR650L
XR250L
XR650L
VTR250
CB50
CRF230
GB500
GB500

Cars
Civic EX
Accord Wagon EX
S2000
Civic Hybrid
Old 01-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #101
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,392
I'm loving my 00 Civic EX even more after test driving a bunch of cars half its age with under half the miles and they didn't feel as tight. Now only if it didn't have a laundry list of problems

No one seems to make a decent responsive yet economic car like that anymore, especially one where you can comfortably sit in it with a size 13 boot.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #102
jazzmans
fickt euch

Oddometer: 7,118
my 01 civic has 200k on it, still runs great.

my 79 cx 500 has 60+k on it, runs great! (the very first gen cx's had a cam chain problem that was fixed later that year, and a recall for all previous motors, sorry you got burnt)
my 81 cb 750F runs like a bat out of hell, (wish I had a 900)

my 78 cb400A is sitting waiting for some fabrication to get back on the road.

yeah, I love hondas, and would gladly take a del sol off of someones hands.

jaz

life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Klay-->You know what I mean, you bubble-headed noise-maker.
jazzmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #103
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 707
Bought a used '88 Prelude Si (automatic) back in 1991. Bright red. It was an absolute dog off the line but cornered like a go-cart, and would cruise comfortably at 100+. I loved the look/design of the car... always preferred angular designs to the rounded bubbles that came out in the next generation (1994?) It sat out and unprotected in a hailstorm while I was out of town on vacation. Came back to the entire thing covered in nickle-sized dents. Bumpers faded to a magenta/pink no matter how often I waxed it. Ended up snapping the timing belt at 65k which cost $1800 to fix... hard for a college student. Then the transmission went out to the tune of another $800. Exactly one year later, transmission went out again. Automatic antennae motor plastic drive piece broke and would've cost $300 to fix (back in 1994!) Antennae stayed up permanently after that! Fixed the transmission and traded it for a 1988 Toyota 4x4 pickup that just couldn't be killed.

As to the new Hondas... give or take. The Element is quite possibly one of the ugliest vehicles on the road, right up there with the Pontiac Aztec.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #104
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,558
Had a "98" Integra I bought new. Drove it 150,000 miles. Only gripe was having the clutch go South at a little over 100,000 and the older I got the less comfortable the seats got. Other than that it was a great "little" car that got 30+ on the highway.
It was the first new car I had ever bought and the second week I had it, I got caught in a hail storm. It put dents in every quarter panel, hood, truck, roof and even some trim. Collected the insurance and bought a whitewater raft!
A few years later it was in another hail storm. WTF! No, I didn't turn that one into insurance since I never fixed it the first time.
It was Frost white. I was going to get tags the said "Titlist"...as in golf ball!
Sold it to a guy for $3000 two, three years ago. Kind of wish I still had it...I DO still have the raft though...

Have only had one electrical problem on the XRL. It left me stranded once. That sucked but I have 35,000 miles on it now. Other than the fact it goes through tires like there is no tomorrow...Not too shabby.

bwalsh screwed with this post 01-23-2012 at 10:28 PM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #105
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Censport View Post
The 1967 Toyota Sports 800 parked in front of the roadster is a car I've driven a few times.
Super cool and super ugly. How does that little 2 cylinder get out of its own way?

Do they have a 2000GT and have you been fortunate enough to drive it?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: