Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2014, 05:28 AM   #1
hillbillypolack OP
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,599
Quality door hardware (lockset, deadbolt etc)

Replacing our door hardware recently since the older Kwikset door locks have been getting difficult to turn. Opening them up, it's clear they've been wearing on themselves for some time as there's lots of metal dust in the assembly.

I had good luck with Schlage on my previous garage, though the residential Schlage hardware looks flimsy to me. Deadbolts seem 'loose' even on the store displays and the lock barrels seem loose as well.

I'd rather not try another Kwikset, so what brand would you recommend for a good replacement that's also a decent value? Even if it's not a 'big box' store brand.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:55 AM   #2
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,612
I've been happily using Emtek from here http://www.handlesets.com

They will cut the new locks to your key code (did you know house keys had a code??) and using EMTEK in the discount earns you a hefty one.

I'm especially fond of using their combination locks- I have them everywhere now.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Abloy

Impossible to "bump", makes everything else from Quickset, Schlage, etc look like toys. Baldwin used to make nice stuff, but they got bought, and they are now a "price point".

I bought from these folks; http://www.bayarealocks.com, but there are other suppliers. You can also get Abloy cylinders installed into Schlage and other locksets.
filmfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:44 AM   #4
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,182
Any lock set from a locksmith is going to be much higher quality than what comes from home stores. Even if it appears the same. The companies put cheaper internals in the lock set they sell to the home stores.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
Hybridchemistry

Oddometer: 169
I believe my dad recently went through an ordeal trying to get a deadbolt and front door handle to fit together, the holes for the deadbolt and handle were not drilled appropriately.
I think he ended up with *kwikset*, because of the anti-bump features, which should be standard by now.

Edit: Whoopsies, dad used the kwikset not the Schlage

Hybridchemistry screwed with this post 05-26-2014 at 07:27 PM
Hybridchemistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #6
clydeturbeaux
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
A locksmith by trade here..

One of the biggest problems in fitting replacement locks is that people do not know what the door and frame preparations are. Commonly a knob or lever lock will take a 2 1/8" bore at either 2 3/8" or 2 3/4" backset. (This is the measure form the edge of the door to the centerline of the bore).
Some deadbolts also use a 2 1/8" bore and others use a 1 1/2" bore- both with the same two common backset measurements.
Many locks now come with adjustable latches designed to fit either condition.
In any event READ AND UNDERSTAND THE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST!!!

"Bump keys" had their day of glory and they still can be a viable compromise to security. Not too many thieves go to the trouble of having a set made to fit each type of keyway out there.
If high security at a reasonable price is important- please have your locksmith install either "spool drivers' or "mushroom drivers". These are placed inside the lock during re-keying and make locks nearly impossible to pick or bump.

I agree with the advice to avoid the big box stores and find a local locksmith who can recommend a minimum Grade 2 lockset for your use. I would stick with the Schlage "A" or "AL" series (knobs and levers respectively) for the bottom lock and probably go with the B660 series on the deadbolt.
Good luck!
clydeturbeaux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #7
massrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeturbeaux View Post
One of the biggest problems in fitting replacement locks is that people do not know what the door and frame preparations are. Commonly a knob or lever lock will take a 2 1/8" bore at either 2 3/8" or 2 3/4" backset. (This is the measure form the edge of the door to the centerline of the bore).
Some deadbolts also use a 2 1/8" bore and others use a 1 1/2" bore- both with the same two common backset measurements.
Many locks now come with adjustable latches designed to fit either condition.
In any event READ AND UNDERSTAND THE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST!!!

"Bump keys" had their day of glory and they still can be a viable compromise to security. Not too many thieves go to the trouble of having a set made to fit each type of keyway out there.
If high security at a reasonable price is important- please have your locksmith install either "spool drivers' or "mushroom drivers". These are placed inside the lock during re-keying and make locks nearly impossible to pick or bump.

I agree with the advice to avoid the big box stores and find a local locksmith who can recommend a minimum Grade 2 lockset for your use. I would stick with the Schlage "A" or "AL" series (knobs and levers respectively) for the bottom lock and probably go with the B660 series on the deadbolt.
Good luck!
Do you have any suggestions for an atrium door with a 2 1/8" backset? with the glass in the door there is no room for a deeper backset, I don't know what brand is in it now but haven't been able to find anything at the big boxes and haven't check with my local locksmith yet.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:14 PM   #8
Wasser
Spilt my beer

Oddometer: 4,375
Marks.

Made in the USA and damn good, grade 1 lock-sets. At very reasonable prices to boot

None of that grade 2 or 3 crap the chain stores sell.

Never, ever buy a grade 2 or 3 lock set for your exterior doors.

Slage or Medeco would be my second choice. Slage is part of Ingersol Rand. Medeco is part of Assa Abloy. You are paying for the Medeco name. Used to be the "king" of quality lock sets. Their quality is slipping.

Have been changing all our facility lock sets (15,000 lock sets) from Medeco, Yale & Slage to Marks with KABA IC cores. Couldn't be happier.
Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
rustycager
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Most thieves will pick (pun intended) a easier way in than trying to pick a lock. Don't worry about bump keys or picking too much. I've seen a quote stating "locks are to keep honest people out" and I have to agree.

That said most of these locks and mechanisms come dry and are installed by less than qualified tradesmen. On top of that houses settle and material expands and contracts with the weather. By assuring the bolt can move in out of the jam without rubbing and using good lube even a kwikset will give you many years of smooth service. Securing the jamb and other access points would be a better investment. Maybe an alarm with quality cameras with secure storage.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
treefort13
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 1,157
Fist off, I should say that I'm a locksmith by trade. Everything said so far seems pretty accurate to me.

Are you matching other locks?

If you're looking for quality, as said, don't but from a big box store, the hardware is cheaper. If it's old Kwikset, IIRC, depending on the series, you may need to rebore for both the lockset and the latch. (Seilling can be done without a jig, but is way easier done with one. Think trying to use a hole saw w/o a place to run your pilot bit.))

Medeco, Primus, etc. (high security cylinders) are going to be very costly, and you'll have to go back to that locksmith to get duplicate keys. (And provide a drivers license.) IMO, a PROPERLY installed standard-security lock is going to keep you safer than a poorly installed high-security lock.

The top 3 common / popular brands (ymmv) as I see them have always been Kwikset, Weiser, Schlage. That said, as Schlage quality went downhill, I became partial to better brands, such as Lori and Sargent. Those are the two i would look into
"The things that happen to people...the tragedies, life-altering events that shut us down, render us dysfunctional, turn successful lives into train wrecks. The folks who were always a little "odd" and who have slid way, way beyond "odd" as they've aged."
-Sabre-
treefort13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
Trippps
Fool

Oddometer: 80
Not a locksmith, but a lifelong carpenter and construction superintendent, all good recommendations here, a wooden bar or gate latch is superior to Kwiksets and the other crap from the big box stores. And really, if someone wants into your house, no lockset will stop them, quality is more about longevity. Hell, I can beat a hole with a sledgehammer big enough to crawl through in a cinderblock wall in under 5 minutes.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:14 AM   #12
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippps View Post
Not a locksmith, but a lifelong carpenter and construction superintendent, all good recommendations here, a wooden bar or gate latch is superior to Kwiksets and the other crap from the big box stores. And really, if someone wants into your house, no lockset will stop them, quality is more about longevity. Hell, I can beat a hole with a sledgehammer big enough to crawl through in a cinderblock wall in under 5 minutes.
Yup. I work with real estate sales a lot, and I get quite a few calls where keys are lost or misplaced and I have to break in. I routinely drive up to a house in a plain white van, get out drill the lock and install new one in under 10 minutes. Have never had a neighbor say anything. The only time I have had the cops called on me is when I was sitting in the van with the front door open, feet up, and I was eating lunch.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote