Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #151
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog View Post
Wow. I won't be surprised when we find out it cures cancer.
Well, no, but you will have very clean cancers.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #152
usafstud
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Sorry for bringing this back from the dead.

Can you reuse the piston rings when you take them off to get the piston cleaned? Or should you leave the pistons on when cleaning the pistons with pinesol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
On a friend's reccomendation, we used pine-sol to decarbonise several sets of heads and pistons recently. Worked like a charm!

usafstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:10 AM   #153
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,971
I usually remove rings when cleaning pistons by any method - facilitates making sure the grooves get cleaned.

Just be sure to put the same rings in the same grooves on the same piston and in the same cylinder. And make sure the rings all go on right side up. Most have a dot or some other mark to denote the top side.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #154
usafstud
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thanks man about the piston and the rings.

How about dropping in a cylinder? Would it mess up the cylinder walls?
usafstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:59 AM   #155
ass mysore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
This is amazing! Did you just let it soak, or did you have to scrub it afterwards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
On a friend's reccomendation, we used pine-sol to decarbonise several sets of heads and pistons recently. Worked like a charm!

Old 10-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #156
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,360
Ready to try this tonight, as i have two sets of carbs to clean (an inline 4 and a V2). Will report in a day or two.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #157
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
Ready to try this tonight, as i have two sets of carbs to clean (an inline 4 and a V2). Will report in a day or two.
worked like a charm for us:

Old 10-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #158
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

24 hours later, most of the grease is dissolved, but the old caked on gas (from leaks) has not moved at all.

I'll check tomorrow, and if no change, I throw it in a tumbler with the pinesol See what happens next.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #159
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,655
Pine-Sol for the bulk jobs. I know of nothing in the low-cost, high-volume, big parts-to-clean category that does better. but...
SEAFOAM for the surgical work. I know this from extensive experience. Yep, its a tad pricey, but nothing will cut that varnish like seafoam [at least, that I know of after trying everything others suggest...]. soak those parts in seafoam, and cover the container for a few hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
24 hours later, most of the grease is dissolved, but the old caked on gas (from leaks) has not moved at all.

I'll check tomorrow, and if no change, I throw it in a tumbler with the pinesol See what happens next.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #160
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
SEAFOAM for the surgical work. I know this from extensive experience. Yep, its a tad pricey, but nothing will cut that varnish like seafoam [at least, that I know of after trying everything others suggest...]. soak those parts in seafoam, and cover the container for a few hours

Seafoam is naphtha, alcohol and pale oil (read the MSD).......nothing special nothing worth the price.

Stick with the pinesol and wait or buy a gallon of naphtha at the hardware store.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:25 PM   #161
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Not to hijack this thread, but nothing cuts through gas varnish better than Valvoline carb cleaner (spray can). But, it also eats everything else, rubber, plastic, hands...
Old 10-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #162
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Well, Pinesol did not work for me. Some of the aluminum tubes between carbs turned black, and the brass jets turned black as well. I soaked for 48hrs, fully submerged, and covered. No other chemicals were in the tub. Yes, it loosened/removed grease, but did not even touch the varnish.

Right now I have my bowls in a tumbler with walnut media to remove the tarnish.

BTW, I used the "original formula" as there are now three different products. Carbs are from a 1981 CB750C

Here is a pic of the black fuel tube. The one right above it was not cleaned along with the other parts.
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #163
Zahnarzt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
I'll Play

After reading about the Pine-Sol method I thought I'd give it a try... Buying beaters and rebuilding is my pastime and more often than not the carb is the main issue.

So here is the "practice" carb from a '72 AT2 thas has been in my garage for at least 3 years and in the elements for who knows how long before that...

I used straight PS with no agitation and minor brushing while soaking..I let it sit for about 18 hours and then brushed with a nylon bristle brush. Ambient garage temp was about 60F for most of the time and beer was consumed in proximity to the mixture.
Results were consitent with most previous posters.
Dirt, grime and carbon were removed. Oxidized areas were helped a little, paint was removed and brass parts were stained, but cleaned.

All-in-all this is a fairly good method. I like that it is semi-natural, doesn't require me to do alot of additional scrubbing and won't totaly destroy rubber parts.
My jets were cleaned but stained and thats ok with me, some might not like it, personal choice.
Next I am going to pick up an ultrasonic cleaner from a dental office and see how that effects the process.

Zahnarzt screwed with this post 10-23-2011 at 09:09 AM
Zahnarzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #164
KevXR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
This has been an interesting thread. I have two cylinder heads soaking now.

Next time, I will try putting the parts in a plastic freezer bag, so I have to use less Pinsol, then put the whole package in a bucket with padding to keep the bag from bulging out.

Googling about the white residue, some sites identify it as oxidized zinc in the bottom of the bowl.

http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/...&Number=630745
Quote:
Rust Mort, Jasco Metal etch are phosphoric acid made to remove rust before painting. I prefer Rust Mort, but Jasco works OK and is easier to find. Coke might work too, and you can get that at the grocery store.
I might have to see if I have any old carb parts with that white build up and test the "Coke theory".

More "Redneck engineering"... my bucket has a lid closed tight on it. I might put it next to my air compressor and turn it on. Let it vibrate the cleaning bucket a bit.
KevXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #165
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 707
One thought: Buy the real Pine-Sol and not the generic equivalent. An update from me. Carbs from my 81 r65 were really gummed up. Let them soak for 48 hours in Pine-Sol with no agitation. I did have to scrub the crevasses with a nylon bristle-brush but that was a quick 5 minutes. For the most part, just a rinse with water got 95% of the gunk off.

Before:

After: