Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #196
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
clogged with bug guts?

might try hydrogen peroxide as it disolves proteins.

that's how I clean the bug guts in the oil cooler fins on the GS.
If you want to buy that peroxide in large quantities at higher concentrations, widely used now in the foodservice/processing industry to sanitize. I think 30% is what we buy then dilute it down. By the gallon....available at most commercial cleaning products suppliers.

Viper brand and you bet...turns protein to mush.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #197
Big Steve
Banned

Oddometer: 2,431
I used to work in the "cleaner" business. Pine oil is a great degreaser. I remember when the Citrus products became popular (exceptional degreaser as well, different smell) and they still are as well.

Citrus can get expensive, here is my favorite -

http://www.hillyard.com/ProductsServ...s%2FDegreasers

I once had a chemist tell me the chemical makeup between the pine and citrus was extremely close, looks like PineSol works and pine is always cheaper than oranges!
Big Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #198
naota03
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I bought a 1982 Honda Nighthawk 750. The previous owner didn't properly winterize the bike last season. The fuel went stale in the line. I had my friend look at the bike and determined the bike is in decent condition and I bought the bike.

He and I cleaned the gas tank and did an initial carb cleaning using carb cleaner. We were able to get the bike running. But it runs rough when trying to get the bike to run after turning the choke off. He came across this thread and were going to soak the carbs in pine sol and post the before and after photos.
naota03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #199
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by naota03 View Post
I bought a 1982 Honda Nighthawk 750. The previous owner didn't properly winterize the bike last season. The fuel went stale in the line. I had my friend look at the bike and determined the bike is in decent condition and I bought the bike.

He and I cleaned the gas tank and did an initial carb cleaning using carb cleaner. We were able to get the bike running. But it runs rough when trying to get the bike to run after turning the choke off. He came across this thread and were going to soak the carbs in pine sol and post the before and after photos.
Just make sure to keep all the rubber parts out of the pine sol. They will swell up then eventually go back to normal size, this can be VERY inconvenient. I found out the hard way

-Barron
Old 03-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #200
naota03
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
Just make sure to keep all the rubber parts out of the pine sol. They will swell up then eventually go back to normal size, this can be VERY inconvenient. I found out the hard way

-Barron
I will keep that in mind when he and I start to work on the Carbs. Hopefully cleaning the carb should correct the rough idle when starting to close the choke. I guess worse case scenario the carbs may need to be balanced.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:58 AM   #201
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,357
Great thread.

Do we have any sucess stories for this working on cleaning up the insides of rusty varnished metal fuel tanks?

Picked up a little Honda ATC 110... interior of tank "has that look and smell". Thought I may give it a go, is it best to cut the Pine Sol with a bit of boiling water for this kind of task??

thanks much. I have viewed all kinds of you tube posts of people tumbling rocks in fuel tanks etc., and was wondering if this would be a good pre-wash to try before such things..
Old 03-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #202
Hondo OP
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by naota03 View Post

I would try running a tank full of fresh fuel & 1/2 of a can of Seafoam added before I did the carbs- that may solve the issues.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #203
Hondo OP
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Great thread.

Do we have any sucess stories for this working on cleaning up the insides of rusty varnished metal fuel tanks?

Picked up a little Honda ATC 110... interior of tank "has that look and smell". Thought I may give it a go, is it best to cut the Pine Sol with a bit of boiling water for this kind of task??

thanks much. I have viewed all kinds of you tube posts of people tumbling rocks in fuel tanks etc., and was wondering if this would be a good pre-wash to try before such things..
It will clean the tank of any oils but won't treat the rust.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #204
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Great thread.

I have cleaned two such tanks with CLR. Calcium, Lime, Rust remover. One had some heavy surface rust in it, I used BBs for an abrasive. The other was some light oxidation, and nasty old fuel that had been left in there, just the CLR in that one. I preffered to rinse thoroughly with some clean gas a couple of times, then again with some gas, and a fair amount of 2 stroke oil in hopes of conditioning the steel and preventing new rust. So far it seems to have worked OK.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #205
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
One had some heavy surface rust in it, I used BBs for an abrasive.
Try 1" sheetrock screws - they have sharp edges, and will break loose more rustcrap.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #206
naota03
Adventurer

My friend and I just took the carbs off my nighthawk were in the process of prepping the carbs for soaking. He had to leave early so The bath wont take place until tomorrow when he comes by. Im just a little miffed that I may need to fix or replace the stator since it isn't charging the battery. But I guess it is time to troubleshoot that when the carbs are squeeky clean.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:39 AM   #207
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,787
Has anyone found that it harms paint in any way? I was hoping to use pinesol as an alternative to less effective degreasers when washing the car....i would use it to degrease the door jambs, engine, etc, not to actually WASH the car... It would only be on for a few minutes...
Old 03-22-2012, 05:43 AM   #208
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post
Has anyone found that it harms paint in any way? I was hoping to use pinesol as an alternative to less effective degreasers when washing the car....i would use it to degrease the door jambs, engine, etc, not to actually WASH the car... It would only be on for a few minutes...
I am a PINE SOL newb, but I have mixed it with a bit of water like 50-50 and used it as a pre-wash for the dirty greasier bits on my KLR just before hitting it with the high pressure at the local car wash.

Yes, I know relaying this will bring on all forms of gafaws about WHY would you ever WASH a damn KLR..... to impress the toothless circus ladies of course. They have JOBS.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:09 AM   #209
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post

I soaked a drive side hub from a 1978 DT400 for a few weeks, hitting it with a wire brush occasionally. It stripped all of the original paint off, and left a perfectly clean piece for fresh paint..

Of course there is no clear coat etc.. on those.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #210
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,098
Be careful using any type of degreaser on paint, including dish soap. It can strip the paint itself of it's oils and dull the finish if not ruin it completely.