Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2010, 12:38 AM   #106
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 533
Would Pine-Sol also work for cleaning the air filter foam element? Form what was said in thsi thread it sounds like it should.
TIA
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:08 AM   #107
Hondo OP
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,367
Not sure about that-

Normally I'd use Dawn dish washing soap for that.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #108
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,665
does it come in 55 gallon drums....you know, to dip a 950 in?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595718
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #109
Ratski
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
Thumb I just tried it!

Just let the carb off my 1970 Siplicity riding lawnmower sit in 50/50 mix for about 48 hours and here are my observations. It did a good job of cleaning the carb body and float and bowl. It did not seem to harm the plastic fuel inlet barb. Cleaned with dawn and water and no flash rust or corrosion as of yet (took it out about two hours ago). Reassembled with a rebuild kit from Briggs and Stratton and reinstalled and ater a minor tweak of the main mixture screw, ran better than it has in the two years I've had it. It was suffering from lack of power and severe surging, to the point I couldn't mow my lawn and finally, it wouldn't stay running. Now it runs great, as much power as you could expect from a 40 year old 7 horse L-head Briggs and idles dead smooth and no surging at all.

My only gripes in the process (and i'm not sure the first one is a bad thing) is that it didn't touch the remnants of the paper or cork float bowl gasket, which for those not doing a complete disassemble is a good thing, I guess.

But my big thing is, and here is a warning for those about to attempt this, IT TOOK THE PAINT OFF! While not a huge deal (its an aluminium carb with a steel float bowl and is stored inside) It was unexpected and kinda dissapointing. So while most bike carbs are unpainted, be careful about puting painted parts in this stuff unless you are ready to prep and paint afterwards.

YMMV

Ratski
Ratski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #110
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I tried it with a heavily sludged Opel valve cover. It did take off the areas where the sludge was very thin, but didn't touch the thicker areas. Definitely need to get all the thick stuff off first.

Right side standing up. The inside was even worse.

I have it cleaned and painted now, and will post a photo soon!

Jim
Looking a little better:

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:09 AM   #111
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatefalling
I'd like to try this on some hubs but don't want to have to unlace them so I can soak them in a tub. I wonder what you could mix the pine-sol with to make it like a gel? That way I could spray/brush it on the hubs and it wouldn't dry up in 30 minutes. Make sense?
try either laundry soap (not detergent) flakes (traditional for thickening gasoline for 'social' purposes) or Cabosil (from a fiberglas supply place.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #112
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,333
I tried it on the hubs on my DRZ. Didn't work. More of a textured aluminum. FYI
ihatefalling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #113
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,447
Please help a dummy

Can any of you Honda guys who have done this tell me where these washers go? I've got three of them, not sure if the fourth is still in place or...
This is from a 1982 Honda CB650sc. The carb bank looks very similar to the one in the first post.
Thanks in advance...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49797194@N08/4778330801/

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:29 AM   #114
canyncarvr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Where do these go?

There are o-rings and washers of approx. that size on each air screw....
canyncarvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:13 AM   #115
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatefalling
I tried it on the hubs on my DRZ. Didn't work. More of a textured aluminum. FYI
Then get a bigger tub? The big round overflow pans you put under a hot water heater may work. Not costly. You could also try wrapping the hub with cheap terry* towels (Home Despot, 12 packs, Paint dept), setting it over a 5 gallon bucket or other drip pan, and saturating the towels. Add more every half hour. If you have to stay up all night saturating the towels and drinking beer, so be it. Anything for the cause, right?

*Use real terrycloth towels with the loop fabric. Cheesecloth (supermarket) is a second option if you use enough of it. You need a tight wrap and good stuffing between the spokes.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #116
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
About tenish years ago or so, I had a 1969 gmc truck, with a carb that really needed to be cleaned bad. I was a poor student that preferred to drink and party with the women all night over having food, so needless to say I didnt have extra cash for carb cleaner.

My mother gave me a bottle of pin sol (think she was trying to hint at something? haha) and one day I had the carb apart, no money for carb cleaner, so9 I used the pin sol. It worked like a charm, and the carb was like brand new as well.

I never did use it again, but its really cool to come across this thread and see that someone else has actually done, or does this!
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:33 AM   #117
Wylie
Back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 2,234
Quote:
Has anyone tried the cheep pinesol like the Zep brand that they carry at Home Depot? It seems to be cheaper ($6 a gallon vs $9 a gallon)
Be careful with the ZEP degreaser on aluminum parts, or at least something like swing arms that have a clear coat, I doubt mine will ever look the same again.

Okay, screw it, stop the world I'm getting off.
Wylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #118
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyncarvr
There are o-rings and washers of approx. that size on each air screw....
Thank you, that was my suspicion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:56 PM   #119
Zagando
BMW uber alles!

Oddometer: 1,031
Trying out Pine Sol on my Ruckus carb

Took my carb apart and am soaking everything in a Pine Sol bath for a few days (until my new gasket arrives that I ordered today).

Here's the BEFORE shots, complete with varnish crystals:

I'll post AFTER pics once the Pine Sol has worked its magic.

ex: '94 K75S "Berlina" '92 R100GSPD
'85 K100RS '73 R75/5 '65 R60/2
Zagando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:47 PM   #120
Wylie
Back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 2,234
Lesson learned!

I personally learned not to soak rubber parts for extended periods of time in Pinesol as they will swell!

The subject of the lesson was a 1994 DR 350R Nissin front brake caliper. I let it soak for four to five days because it was a mess and the fist scrubbing after a two day soak didn't do much for it.

Then I come to find the seal or dust seal one or the other had been discontinued!

I got a bit lucky and resourceful being another 2 days of sitting buried in table salt leached enough moisture out of the seals I was able to reinstall the pistons into the caliper.

I guess that would be two lessons then wouldn't it.

Okay, screw it, stop the world I'm getting off.
Wylie is offline   Reply With Quote