User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
cellige OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
gore-tex boots with toe slider

Anyone know of a gore-tex boot with a toe slider? I'm trying to replace some sidi boots that are not water proof and have huge calf openings that don't fit under my pants..
cellige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:40 PM   #2
juddspaintballs
Never too many bikes

Oddometer: 415
A cobbler should be able to add one to just about any sole for you.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:35 PM   #3
ianz5150
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Check out my thread here in the "Equipment" section of the forum on the BMW "SportDry" Boot.

I just bought a pair of Sidi "ST" boots with good hard part protection, but they have closable vents that flow air and water freely even when closed.

I looked and looked for a boot with heel, ankle and toe protection AND Gortex, but was unsuccessful. I did find boots, such as the A* "SMX Plus" with Gortex (has toe slider, but I didn't care for them really, the hard parts just seemed cheap to me). I settled on the Sidi "ST" knowing it wasn't waterproof but had the protection I was seeking. To my dismay, however, it is also pretty cold and leaks air.

About two weeks later I happened across the boot I was looking for and thought didn't exist, short of the Daytona EVO Gortex at $700. It does exist and it's called the BMW "SportDry" at $385 (less expensive than my Sidi's at $395 and the A* Gortex equipped "SMX Plus" which is about $449, but with Gortex and much better quality!). I tried them on and the fit will be 43 which is the same as my Sidi's and what I wear in A* too. Now I can't afford it though, since I got the Sidi's! I'll probably get them anyway. Ha! I am not wearing the Sidi's so I can try and sell them. I wore them 3 times.

On my thread there was a couple guys that gave me some feedback on them. You should check it out.

ianz5150 screwed with this post 01-12-2015 at 06:51 PM
ianz5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:58 PM   #4
andrewhtf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
was looking at the Daytona Evo Goretex too... almost pulled the trigger but i happen to chance onto a pair of TCX S-Race Goretex on closeout. so i bought this instead.

Have yet found the chance to actually test out the waterproofness.
andrewhtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #5
cellige OP
Adventurer

The BMW boots dont look bad but I'm not huge on the branding. Calf opening looks big too. Thanks though!

The tcx boots look good though, i didn't know about them. Could you do me a favour and tell me what the EN certification numbers are on the tag? Should be three numbers like 1 1 1 or 1 2 1 etc. Also where does the tag say it is made?
Old 01-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #6
Dewey316
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I wear Dainese DW-P CE boots.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...out-d-wp-boots

You can look, i am not sure if they made them last year, or if it has been multiple years, but they made a "in" version, that was meant to have the pants on the ouside and was thinner in the calf. This aren't too bad, I wear my pants over these.

I love them, lots of protection, CE Certified, and waterproof (although DW-P, not goretex)
2009 Triumph Sprint ST
Save 20% on SmugMug.
Dewey316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:34 PM   #7
Hammerdown77
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
I have those Dainese boots as well. They are pretty nice, removable toe sliders, waterproof (I've tested them in a 4 hr ride in drizzle, no hurricanes yet though).

These probably have the best protection of any sport-touring boot out there for the price (excluding the hinged ADV style boots like the Sidi Adventure and A* Toucan).
Hammerdown77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #8
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 938
http://www.daytona.de/index.php?page=1029
Old 01-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #9
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,565
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:24 AM   #10
ianz5150
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos View Post
So yeah, I actually tried a few different models of the Daytona boots on, but as far as
I know, they don't sell the one you referenced in the picture in the USA. The "Spirit" was quite nice. Fantastic feel and quality, but poor ankle and achilles protection, and even the shin protection was simply padding; as I folded it in a little test. They're $450 here in the USA. Once again, the Daytona boots are far and away the nicest quality and stunning in my poor opinion, but I'm thinking more significant hard part protection is best which would cost me $750 with Daytona (Evo GTX). I like the Daytona RoadStar GTX also, but I would take the "Spirit" over the RoadStar at that price level.

I sold my Sidi ST boots yesterday, so I'm much more serious about this now. I took a bit of a lose, but was lucky enough to find a guy that was looking for the "ST" specifically. I knew that's what it would take and lucked out!

I found another boot in the TCX line-up of old that mirrors the BMW SportDry in almost every way, so now I'm thinking TCX and BMW are made at the same place in Romania. The TCX boot that is similar, or maybe the same, is not made anymore.

I'm still lusting after the BMW SportDry, but I'm open to suggestions as well. The TCX/BMW conection is something that intrigues me a little, but I can't help to think that the BMW quality would be better. I think the boots I saw that were similar/the same as the SportDry was synthetic uppers, where as the BMW one is genuine leather.

Anyway, the search continues here. I'm going to reconsider Daytona in a serious way, but still would think ankle/shin protection is something a guy wants?

What you think on the ankle/shin protection vs. lack-there-of? A lot of guys are happy with the RoadStar GTX. Is it a "touring" thing vs. a "Sport" thing with the hard parts? I think more hard parts is better.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:32 AM   #11
ianz5150
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
was looking at the Daytona Evo Goretex too... almost pulled the trigger but i happen to chance onto a pair of TCX S-Race Goretex on closeout. so i bought this instead.

Have yet found the chance to actually test out the waterproofness.
Where did you buy these and was it recently? A quick Google yielded EBay UK for $280 plus $75 shipping.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:27 AM   #12
andrewhtf
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellige View Post
The BMW boots dont look bad but I'm not huge on the branding. Calf opening looks big too. Thanks though!

The tcx boots look good though, i didn't know about them. Could you do me a favour and tell me what the EN certification numbers are on the tag? Should be three numbers like 1 1 1 or 1 2 1 etc. Also where does the tag say it is made?
13634. Tcx is formerly known as Oxtars.

It stated there made in romania. I had initially thought they were made in italy. My bad.

andrewhtf screwed with this post 01-19-2015 at 07:36 AM
Old 01-19-2015, 07:33 AM   #13
andrewhtf
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianz5150 View Post
Where did you buy these and was it recently? A quick Google yielded EBay UK for $280 plus $75 shipping.
Bought it last month. I'm not sure if he ship to the USA, but do drop him a message and ask.

http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/TCX-S-Rac...item4ae37bba7b

Plus if you're searching on ebay, best if you could change the search options to worldwide. Occasionally there are some odd sizes from european sellers that can be had cheaply.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #14
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianz5150 View Post

Anyway, the search continues here. I'm going to reconsider Daytona in a serious way, but still would think ankle/shin protection is something a guy wants?
The ankle protection on the Daytona EVO boots is the inner booty. As similarly copied by A* in their full race SupertechR boot. I have both. The Daytona EVO does not give up anything to the A* boot IMO even though the A* supertech R is their highest level race boot. The inner booty on the EVO is scaled down a bit from their race boot, the Security which is widely considered the most protective racing boot available, but still offers the best ankle protection you will find in a street boot, IMO.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:03 AM   #15
cellige OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the pictures !

I tried on the daytona strive gtx. Honestly the protection is nothing more than the most basic SIDI boot. A heel cup and toe cap, ankle discs, too flexible of a shin protector, and decent leather. Definitely well made though. No CE label. It was moderately comfortable and a plus that it can be sent back to the company for sole/gore tex liner/slider replacement.

I also tried on the bmw sportdry. Looks like it uses the torsion control bit from TCX, which appears to serve its purpose well. The boot is very stiff but I think it would loosen up. Because of the hard/soft parts and the torsion control bit combined with the CE label I am pretty certain it is a much safer boot than the daytona. Getting the sole replaced could be a challenge though. I want to say if I can remember right that the CE levels were 2-2-1.

The TCX s-speed gore-tex that is sold in europe looks like a very similar boot to the bmw sportdry and even less stiff (with regards to shifting) from all the accordion panel. But I can only order this without trying on from europe. From what I can see in videos I think the CE levels are 2-2-1. Hard to find 2-2-2 boots..

Anyone know what the differences are between the bmw and tcx with regards to internal crash padding (heel, ankle etc) or in the calf opening width, flexibility, sizing, or comfort?

Thanks!