User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #1
Mazaev OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Givi e55 popping open

So my new (to me) bike came with a Givi e55. It's a great case, and the Admore lighting kit is kinda cool, but I'm having a serious problem with it popping open on me while moving. I tried calling Givi, but their phone guy said he's never heard of this problem.

I figure I'd ask if any of you FFs had issues with it as well and if there's any simple fix or a part that could be swapped so I don't have to send the whole damn thing in. It seems to close fine, although it does look like the gap on one side is a millimeter or two wider than on the other. But hit a nice bump, or sometimes not, and it pops open with the latches released (I can reach back and shut it again).

Mazaev screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 07:48 AM
Mazaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Never heard of that one. Are you sure it's closed all the way? There is no way I could reach around and properly close the case. Even standing behind it it's usually a two handed operation getting it closed.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
Mazaev OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, it's closed properly. By reach back I mean while stopped.. it's mounted to a 919, so it isn't that far away. But even when standing in front of it and pushing both the top latch and the piece with the logo on the bottom, it happens. I hear a click, and can't force it up, but it still pops after a little while.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Sounds like the top is torqued somehow. Is the Admore lighting wiring getting hung up in the seal anywhere?
IBA #33260
Old 04-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 8,375
I've had my Givi E55 for several months now and ride with it every day. Mine's never popped open. I hate to say it, but I think you have a defective one. Time to return it.

Also, I've had several Givi cases. None have ever popped open. If your case is doing this, something's wrong/torqued/defective.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Mazaev OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Took a closer look at it just now. It looks like one of the latches isn't snapping shut. I discovered that if I hit it with a palm at a certain angle on the side that DOES latch, it pops right open. So I figured that the right side isn't pushing the latch far down enough to lock, inserted a little piece of wood to catch the top of the latch and now it locks down fine.

Heh, I'll post a pic later to show what I mean.

I used an e52 before this and never had an issue, but this is a totally different locking mechanism.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

That's why I questioned closing it from the cockpit. It really takes some decent force to close properly.

Good that you got it figured out though.
IBA #33260
Old 04-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
ady-uk
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I have the E55 and you really do have to get use to the way it closes.

I left mine open the other day, after doing a few things and checking tyres etc.

As I got on the bike my dad said 'do you want me to close the top box'

I said yeah and he pushed down hard on the top but couldn't do it.

I had to explain you need one hand underneath and the other on top.
You then have to really push hard against each hand, pushing the top and bottom together till you hear the distinct 'click' sound.

No way will mine close from pushing the top only so definately impossible whilst sat on the bike. No matter how flexible I am :)
ady-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
Mazaev OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, the spacers didn't work after all. I can still slap it on the side and it pops right open. Gonna call Givi today and probably send that giant thing in. Wonder how much shipping will run.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
Mazaev OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just thought I'd update. I spoke to Mark at Givi and ended up sending them the case. They looked at it and changed some of the locking parts and sent it right back (shipping was just over $20 to send, they covered the return). No more issues.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
klloch
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Ok I've got one with popping open issues too

It's closed and locked properly. My situation is the same...hit a bump (large or small) and the top pops open while the latching mechanism is still engaged. Renders it useless. I don't know the model number but it fits on the back of my Vino scooter. Has the brake light on the back. It was on the scooter when I bought it. I can't add a pic as above it's asking for a hyperlink above.
klloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
GSMotorrad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
My GIVI E55 Maxia 3 case has been a nightmare since I got it, and GIVI just blatantly ignores every inquiry I've made. From the remote not working to open it, to the hinges no longer holding up the lid, to being able to break into it with a screwdriver, etc.

The worst part is how they completely ignore me. They will never get another penny from me ever again, and I will post my negative experience online whenever I can.

I would have been much better off with another brand, and would have saved a ton of money and heartache.

They do NOT stand behind their (faulty) product. I advise anyone considering GIVI to seriously consider ANYTHING else.
GSMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #13
GSMotorrad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMotorrad View Post
My GIVI E55 Maxia 3 case has been a nightmare since I got it, and GIVI just blatantly ignores every inquiry I've made. From the remote not working to open it, to the hinges no longer holding up the lid, to being able to break into it with a screwdriver, etc.

The worst part is how they completely ignore me. They will never get another penny from me ever again, and I will post my negative experience online whenever I can.

I would have been much better off with another brand, and would have saved a ton of money and heartache.

They do NOT stand behind their (faulty) product. I advise anyone considering GIVI to seriously consider ANYTHING else.
They ended up sending me all new replacement parts, so it works now. Apparently it was a known problem.
GSMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote