User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 12:16 AM   #1
guyfawkes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Short of moving from DSLR to Micro Four Thirds

so, ive been shooting with my DSLR(Nikon D5000 at first now D7000) for about 5 years now.
Couldnt be happier with the camera however when im on the road the entire kit is just way too bulky, especially when carrying more than one lens.

As a result ive been considering moving to Micro Four Thirds(olympus om-d to be specific) for a while now but just cant push myself to actually making the switch.

somehow i still have the idea in the back of my head that the "technical" quality and amount of control i can exert during shooting will be inferior on the OM-D(M1 most likely).

Now i should add that i mostly shoot on the short end of the lens range. Sigma 10-20 3.5 and Sigma 17-50 2.8 is what i used 80% of the time so as far as that goes there should be equal glass available if i make the switch.

Who here has made the move from DSLR and what are you experiences as far as image control and simple "technical" quality goes ?

guyfawkes screwed with this post Yesterday at 12:26 AM
guyfawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM   #2
jmuss
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Easy choice for me. I have a cannon 5d Mark III and I also have a Fuji XT1. The XT1 has an choice of lenses and offers all of the control that you would get from the Cannon. Better yet, many if the controls are manual on the camera and much easier to get to than they are in the Cannon. Find a local shop and rent one for a week. I think it is important to use it for a week as the menu system is a little different at first but once you start using it, it makes a great deal of sense.
jmuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM   #3
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Apsc

I've been very pleased so far (9 months, about 1000 exposures) with the APSC format. Sony has some surprisingly good cameras in this sensor size. Limited glass choices so far, but adaptors available for most existing lens families, if you have a lens inventory already.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM   #4
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,015
I'm using an Olympus EM1 and love it. Awesome camera with a great selection of glass. Join the Oly OMD group on Facebook, lots of previous DSLR users on there that made the switch and are happy they did

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM   #5
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,438
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970925

Big thread here.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote