Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2015, 08:56 PM   #1
cjmadura OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Klim Mojave pants as On-Road pants??

Hey all,

I'm trying to decide on an upgrade(?) to my summer riding gear.

When riding on-road on the K1300S, I wear a Dainese compression suit (chest and back only) under my Rev'it Tornado jacket with the shoulder and elbow pads installed. I may eventually replace this jacket with a Klim Induction jacket, again using the compression armor.

On my legs I wear Klim Tactical padded shorts under a pair of Rev'it Tornado pants. No installed hip armor, as the foam pads were a joke, and the pockets are too low to be useful anyway. I have removed the crappy knee armor and wear off-road shin/knee protection on every ride. Boots are SIDI Cobras.

Finally, my question. I have the brilliant idea of replacing the Tornado pants with a pair of Klim Mojave off-road pants (in the boot) for on-road riding. I seriously doubt the Rev'it pants will hold up any better meeting the road than the Klims.

I have the Chinook pants for off-road and feel the material Klim uses is stronger than that of Rev'it. Aside from questionable "style", do you think the Klims are just as good or better a pant for road work?

BTW, the Klims would have the excellent T5 D30 armor in the hips, probably eliminating the need for the Tactical shorts underneath. Rev'it seems to place fashion very high, while Klim places function near the top (IMHO anyway).
Thanks!

Revit: Stylish!

Klim: Serious.
cjmadura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:27 AM   #2
Butters
Kwyjibo

Oddometer: 2,729
I wear my Mojaves (older OTB version) as my Summer pants. While I'm sure there are safer options out there, I feel they are more than adequate. They have 840D Cordura in the important places, which is better than the vast majority of even pricier pants. While the vented panels are less protective, they seem to be in places that are unlikely to wear through in an impact. Where the pants are lacking is impact protection, but it sounds like you plan on upgrading the stock armor (thin foam pads). I replaced the knee armor with upgraded Aerostich pads, and moved the old knee armor to the hips, so it effectively doubled that up. It is still pretty lacking, armor wise, but can certainly be upgraded to even better stuff. I sometimes wear Forcefield knee tubes under it when I know I'm going off road. The only other drawback is that they are pretty loose (at least the OTB version), and I'm not so sure my armor will be where it needs to be should I go down.

But the fact is I and many others use them as street pants. Certainly much safer than my cheapo kevlar cargo pants that I also use in the Summer.