User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2015, 11:04 PM   #1
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,350
The best riding suit for Adventure riding

I have been riding my motorcycle around the world for the past three years. I have covered 134,000 kms and visited 73 countries so far.
When descibing the perfect motorcycle for around the world travel, that is a matter of personal preferrence - but i certainly do have my opinion about that.
But I think I have figured out the best formula to making a rtw riding suit that has the least number of comprimises.
Right know there are two types of riding gear
One with waterproof liners that go on the inside or outside of the jacket and pants (like the Rev'it Defender GTX)
And the other being a single layer with the waterproofing material bonded to the outer layer (like the Rev'it Dominator GTX)
The problem with the first suit is that the material soaks up water like a sponge and you feel wet even though the inner liner keeps you dry. This makes it no fun to put on the next morning when its still wet and hasn't had time to dry.
The other suit doesn't retain moisture but for the suit to be completely waterproof, there can not be a lot of zipper vents as any vent adds the possibility of letting water in.
Here's my simple solution and here's the jacket I want someone to make.

Make a suit like the Dominator GTX with the water proof layer bonded in but add a lot more vents. Add a full length zipper vent on the sleeve - on the chest - the back - pretty much everywhere you can to let air in so the suit can be worn on the hottest days of summer. But you might say that the suit will not be completely water proof with all these vents and you'd be right. You can make all the zippers those water repelling kind but water will still get in - but that's ok. Here's why
When it's hot out, you don't mind getting a little wet. In fact, sometimes it is welcoming. In a cloud burst, it rains for a few minutes and then it stops. And when it stops, you open back up all your zipper vents and you get dry again while riding. And when it's cold - say less than 72 degrees F or 22 C, you zipper in your completely water proof and insulated inner liner so you stay warm and completely dry.
The advantageses of this conceptual suit is that it can be used in all seasons . It doesn't retain moisture and you won't be stopping often to put on and take off liners. I find myself trying to predict the weather - will it rain - should i put in the or take off the liners. With this suit, you won't have to be guessing if it will rain or not. If its below 72 degrees - zip in the water proof/insulated liner and just go. If it's above 72 degrees, leave out the liner and if it does rain, then the suit will shed most of the water on its own. Some water may get thru all the zipper vents but it won't be much and you will dry again quickly once the rain stops. If you are going to be riding in rain all day on a hot day the zip in your liner to stay dry. True you will be hot, but no matter what kind of suit design you have, you will be hot. But fortunately, that doesn't happen often - rain and hot weather.

What I would like to hear is your comments and your opinions. I feel this conceptual suit has the least number of comprimises. But I want to know what you think. If enough people agree here, maybe someone will make such a suit and everyone will be better off. Right now, such a suit doesn't exist on the market because it is a marketing nightmare - making a water proof suit that is not guaranteed to be completely waterproof without the use of a liner.
But simply put - make a suit like 90% of us already wear (with the zip in water proof liner) but instead of making the outer shell out of Cordura - which absorbes moisture - make it out of that stuff that has the waterproof layer bonded in so is doesn't retain moisture, add a lot of vents like the jacket you already have, add a water proof liner like your jacket and you have the best four season riding suit made.
Please - your thoughts?
Old 05-14-2015, 11:07 PM   #2
Bill-66
Hencho in Kansas

Oddometer: 7,543
BMW GS DRY

That is all...it's near perfect...
Old 05-14-2015, 11:25 PM   #3
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-66 View Post
BMW GS DRY

That is all...it's near perfect...
But does it have enough ventilation for riding on the hottest days of summer?
My conceptual suit will work better on hot days
Old 05-15-2015, 12:33 AM   #4
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
Make a suit like the Dominator GTX with the water proof layer bonded in but add a lot more vents. Add a full length zipper vent on the sleeve - on the chest - the back - pretty much everywhere you can to let air in so the suit can be worn on the hottest days of summer.
The problem with all those vents is that they'll weaken the protective qualities of the suit.

To get to the initial issue, in my personal opinion the best suit for adv is the Touratech Companero.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:28 AM   #5
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos View Post
The problem with all those vents is that they'll weaken the protective qualities of the suit.

To get to the initial issue, in my personal opinion the best suit for adv is the Touratech Companero.
Yes, perhaps you have a point.
Those waterproof zippers have small teeth
And the big heavy duty ones will leak more
But i still would want a suit that doesn't absorb water, have lots of vents for hot days at the expense of those vents letting in some water when it rains on hot days and having the option to zip in a liner to keep dry on colder days
Because in the real world of riding, when it rains:
1) all day - keep the liner in
2) off and on showers - no liner and have the outer material shed most of the water.
I hate stopping to remove and add liners and don't want a suit that doesn't vent well

But again, in the real world, i am not riding in the rain all that much so having a suit that vents well takes priority over one that is completely water proof (without a liner)
Old 05-15-2015, 01:34 AM   #6
dragos
Belzebut

Quote:
Because in the real world of riding, when it rains:
1) all day - keep the liner in
2) off and on showers - no liner and have the outer material shed most of the water.
I hate stopping to remove and add liners and don't want a suit that doesn't vent well
Companero suits this approach well. It vents amazing and when raining it has the added benefit that you can actually vent if the rain stops, without taking the oversuit off.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:04 AM   #7
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
Roadcrafter light or standard Roadcrafter, very comfortable, fast on and off, good ventilation, and warm in the cold. Body armor can be installed and great pockets.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:06 AM   #8
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Well thanks to you I bought a Revit. I bought the Poseidon. It's cortex with no liner BS. Pockets have rubber flap like. I'll never test it out to your standards, but I like it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
luckychucky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:24 AM   #9
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut

Oddometer: 2,628
Klim Badlands jacket and pants are damn close to what you describe.
2014 Yamaha FZ-09 Adventure

Kyler screwed with this post 05-15-2015 at 05:54 AM
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:44 AM   #10
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,464
Problem with the companero is the bulky outer suit that needs to be carried when not worn.

The suit the OP is looking for already exists. Check out the spidi ergo pro. Not as many vents, but it's almost waterproof, then you add the liner.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:06 AM   #11
dragos
Belzebut

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Problem with the companero is the bulky outer suit that needs to be carried when not worn.
True.
No system is absolutely perfect. Still, I find the Companero offers the best / most flexible system when you take everything into account.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:08 AM   #12
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
I have a Klim Badlands Pro and think it pretty much meets your requirements if not your specs. I have ridden in very hot weather (low to mid 90's ) for extended periods without issue. When stopped, it is hot but as long as you are moving at a reasonable pace it flows enough air to billow up. I think this method in better than pure mesh, provided you are moving.

I will never buy a jacket that has a waterproof liner instead of waterproof outer layer. That makes absolutely no sense especially when it is cold.

The Badlands jacket and pants along with their other Gore-Tex gear is guaranteed not to leak (without a liner) or they will repair or replace.
bmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:47 AM   #13
zeeede
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,113
Quote:
... With this suit, you won't have to be guessing if it will rain or not. If its below 72 degrees - zip in the water proof/insulated liner and just go...
....with the zip in water proof liner)...
I'd rather see a jacket like you describe, but with an OUTER "liner" that's completely waterproof. I don't like having to pull off my jacket and pants while standing on the side of the road to put the rain liners in. I'd rather pull them over the top. Also, if I'm traveling I have technical gear that packs a lot smaller to serve as insulation, so all I need is waterproof for the liner.

Olympia has played around with this idea.... the rain liner for my older x-moto pants actually fits over the outside of the pants (though it wasn't advertised this way). They do advertise this feature with their Transition and Ranger lines of jackets and pants. Unfortunately, my arms are too long to wear anything but tall-sized jackets, and Olympia doesn't make tall sizes.

Also, full-leg zippers on the rain liners on the pants makes for super easy side-of-the-road donning and doffing without having to take your boots off.
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:52 AM   #14
thehelios
Taco Inspector

Oddometer: 162
First off, I JUST finished catching up on your 2nd 800 day RR. I'm a huge fan of the non-developed-country portions :)

Anyway, yes, that is my dream jacket as well. I live in South Florida and heat + rain is a constant thing. I've got a Goretex Teknic Monsoon jacket that I love but holy cow is it terrible when it's hot outside. The 2 measly zippers they provide just don't cut it at all. When I know it for sure won't rain, I'll wear my Tourmaster Sonora mesh jacket as that way I won't be pouring out sweat.

When you find this holy grail jacket, please report back.

"Nice crotch rocket!"
"Dude, it's a f**king Super Tenere. It's a glorified mountain bike."
thehelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:53 AM   #15
dragos
Belzebut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeede View Post
I'd rather see a jacket like you describe, but with an OUTER "liner" that's completely waterproof.
Companero