User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2015, 06:13 PM   #1
bobframe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Camera in Tankbag?

I'd like to store my camera with an 18-135 lens in my tankbag but I'm not sure what size bag to get and how to adequately pad the bag. Bike is a 1200GS. I'm currently using a Bags Connection quick lock gas cap system and they offer several large tank bags...The City and The GS are two I'm interested in.

Maybe you've solved this problem already on a similar bike. Storing a DSLR or mirrorless would mean the most to me.

Show me yours?

Many thanks.
bobframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
I'll be watching replies to this. I usually carry my DSLR in my top box in it's normal gear bag, but with a long trip coming up, I'd like it handy. Plus, I'll be carrying another lens too, a 150-500mm. The case that came with it is much bigger around than the lens and was wondering about a custom wrap for it. It would stay in the top box though.

I have a Bags Connection Enduro bag on my GSA. Pretty sure my camera with the 18-135 will fit, but as you pointed, padding is my concern. Security also, but as long as I leave room in a locking case, I can move it at stops.

I'll test the fit and take some pictures. I'll dig up some foam and see if I can arrange something workable.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:01 PM   #3
Deckyon
The Raven

Oddometer: 301
I would think weight will come into play here more than just the size of the bag. What is the maximum weight the tank-lock connector can accommodate? It would suck if the camera + lens + whatever else in the bag weighed more than the lock can handle. One wrong turn or rough series of bumps, you could be watching the tank bag taking a tumble off the bike.
Deckyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:04 PM   #4
Dewey316
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
I have a bag connect city bag. I carry a dslr with 2 lenses. I have a lowepro camera bag that just fits inside the tank bag, and holds both lenses and the camera body. It is a tight fit, and really not much else can fit in the bag but the camera gear.

I had to really hunt for a picture with my tank bag open, but found this. You can see how the lens filters, etc and the camera bag sit and fill most of it up.

I'll add for reference, I have a Nikon D7000, Tamron 28-300mm and also carry nikon 18-105mm, with ND filters for both lenses, cleaning gear, etc, remotes all in that tamron bag and tank bag.
Attached Images

2009 Triumph Sprint ST
Save 20% on SmugMug.
Dewey316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:46 PM   #5
krussell
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
I carried a two lens Nikon D40 setup for about 100k miles in an RKA tankbag on various bikes. Worked great. No padding other than what the bag offered and a micro fiber cloth around the camera.

Currently carrying a Fuji XT-1 with 18-135 in a Wolfman Blackhawk bag. Just naked when actively shooting, wrapped in a cloth for longer or rough stretches. The cloth is more for protection from zipper etc. on the inside of the bag than anything else. One of the reasons I went the the Fuji setup is both the camera and lens are weather sealed. Not waterproof, but the seals will help with dust and rain. The wolfman bag isn't water proofed, but does pretty well with it's cover on. If it's pouring camera goes in the pannier.

I put a few other things in the tank bag too, but all in soft bags to protect against rubbing. Other than on your person, I think the tank bag has the nicest ride of any area on the bike.

If the bike is leaving my sight, I tank the tank bag with me.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #6
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,085
If you're worried about padding, you could get an insert like one of these - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...788+4291518304

Insulated water bottle holders or neoprene cozies / drink holders also work as lens holders.

Edit - After Googling that BC GS tank bag, I don't feel so bad about spending $600 on a set of soft panniers...
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)

lmychajluk screwed with this post 03-25-2015 at 01:43 PM
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #7
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 53,317
Find one that fits with a bit of extra room, then add padding. You can get padding at many camera supply stores. No worries about the quick lock, it can hold the weight easily!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:20 AM   #8
mntnbound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
This was my camera tank bag, got the foam from B&H, its blocked foam so you can tear out what ever space you want. Flat foam piece for the bottom and egg crate style for the top. I put all my other random crap in the top section. I had a wee strom at the time, so it worked, but was a bit cumbersome at fuel ups.

mntnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:22 AM   #9
panzer
team schweinhund

Oddometer: 162
Wink Electronics in tank bags

I once had a small tank bag fitted with about 10 "super" magnets each the size of a nickel, bag was nice except for the fact that I put my wallet in there and it wiped out all my cards with a reader strip on the back! After that I was afraid to even put an iPod in there.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #10
D R
----

Oddometer: 507
I carry my camera bag, with all my camera gear, in my right side case. The reason for right side versus left side is when stopped, the right side is more easily accessible.

My camera gear includes a DSLR body, two lenses, a couple of GoPros with various mounting options, extra rechargeable camera batteries, a small hard case with extra sim chips, various down-load cables, power supply, a Gorilla Tripod and a small point and shoot digital camera. My full size tripod goes in my seat pack with my camping gear.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:19 PM   #11
Lost Rider
Unsubscribed.

Oddometer: 3,237
If you really want to protect your camera investment, keep the Bags Connection ring and mount, ditch the bag and get a HPRC hard case.
I've been using various versions of this setup for over 8 years and a couple hundred thousand miles on a few bikes, it's proven to work very well. Even had a high speed crash on my 800GS where the box came off and tumbled down the trail when all the tank plastics blew up, the Leica camera inside unharmed.
100% waterproof with no annoying covers, dustproof, crash proof and very quick and easy to get in and out of.
I have a panel mount SAE plug that supplies power to a 12v USB outlet inside, I can charge all of my gear while riding or usually just let it charge a dual USB battery pack during the day while so I can charge stuff at camp in the evening. Everything of mine charges via USB.... love this day and age.
The box makes for a great GoPro or GPS mounting location too.

I use a HPRC 2300 to hold my Sony A7, plus Manfrotto mini tripod, charger, USB battery pack and maybe a few filters or my GoPro when not using it.

A Tankbox is how I roll.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 03-28-2015 at 01:25 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:21 PM   #12
bobframe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Some excellent ideas...I really like the Pelican foam inserts idea from B&H.

I am packing a Fuji XT1 which, along with the 18-135mm lens, is weather sealed so dust and (light) rain shouldn't be an issue.

My biggest concern is the unseen damage that could come from the prolonged vibration that the engine and tires/road would generate. Anyone ever experienced damage that was attributed to vibration?

Thanks guys,

Bob

bobframe screwed with this post 03-28-2015 at 01:47 PM
Old 03-28-2015, 01:35 PM   #13
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 541
mirrorless in a Wolfman

I've carried a DSLR in my Wolfman Explorer Lite for years. I sort of settle it into a microfibre cloth as seen in previous posts but don't bundle it up. The cloth is great for keeping dust and water drops contained. I also put a small drybag in the tankbag and if things get wet put the camera in there because the tankbag is not the least bit waterproof. I carried a 5D MkII with 24-105 f4 that way for many miles with a short list of other lenses in the Pelican topcase for times I needed them. Last year I moved to mirrorless and an OM-D EM-1 with 14-40 f2.8 because it's so much smaller, water/dust resistant as the 5D and it leaves room in the bag for a few other things.
I never used fitted liners with this setup and while every get-off is different the camera gear survived an impressive wreck last spring.

Here's how it looked at sunup on April 22nd, 2014

Here's how it looked in West Texas by 6:30pm that day (photo credit to the insurance appraiser)

All the photo gear was unscathed and I used the EM-1 for this pic taken in Odessa the next morning - and have used it regularly for the last year without incident. Never did see the Kreiga bag from the top box again though... I don't recommend putting your gear to this kind of a test by the way.

fastredbike screwed with this post 03-28-2015 at 01:45 PM
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:43 AM   #14
bobframe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
If you really want to protect your camera investment, keep the Bags Connection ring and mount, ditch the bag and get a HPRC hard case.
I've been using various versions of this setup for over 8 years and a couple hundred thousand miles on a few bikes, it's proven to work very well. Even had a high speed crash on my 800GS where the box came off and tumbled down the trail when all the tank plastics blew up, the Leica camera inside unharmed.
100% waterproof with no annoying covers, dustproof, crash proof and very quick and easy to get in and out of.
I have a panel mount SAE plug that supplies power to a 12v USB outlet inside, I can charge all of my gear while riding or usually just let it charge a dual USB battery pack during the day while so I can charge stuff at camp in the evening. Everything of mine charges via USB.... love this day and age.
The box makes for a great GoPro or GPS mounting location too.

I use a HPRC 2300 to hold my Sony A7, plus Manfrotto mini tripod, charger, USB battery pack and maybe a few filters or my GoPro when not using it.

A Tankbox is how I roll.

This idea is interesting...any chance you could show the innards of the box? I'd like to see how the camera/lens are held in place and cushioned. Thanks.

BTW, to all...check this man's website...beautiful photos.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:24 AM   #15
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 3,079
I carried an Pentax K-30 with an 18-135 mm lens in an OP-TECH neoprene case in my tank bag on a trip to Alaska, as well as some shorter trips and it worked out fine.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote