User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
Putty OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hand numbness

All of a sudden experiencing major hand numbness after short rides on the GS1150.
Read a bunch of posts and internet blah blah and eventually called Vibranator as they seemed to have the answer. Unfortunately they no longer make those units for the GS.

Read about bore snake, filling bars with lead shot or caulk and puppy grips and gel gloves. They all seem to have varying results with mixed opinions.

My mechanic said it might be as simple as changing my arm position with adjustable risers although I thought that had more to do with arm pump. Has anyone here used the Rox Risers in either the anti vibration model or regular model and had any noticeable success with the diminishment of numbness?

Kind Regards,

Putty
Putty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,922
Have you thought about seeing a doctor??

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
I've also noticed tingling on different bikes. I notice it more in cooler weather. On my V-Strom I just put a set of Rox adjustable risers on it. That has the bars a little closer to me so my weight is not resting on them as much. That has seemed to help some. At the same time I also put a set of grip puppies on.
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
baldman1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Really? I have had that problem for over 35 years, no matter what bike I ride. My right hand goes numb after about 20 minutes of riding. I just let my right hand go for about 5 seconds and it goes away for about another 20 minutes. I just deal with it.
baldman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
scooterboy56
Jeff Deavers

Oddometer: 23
Hand numbness

Yep, was having that problem myself last year. Two cervical fusions, and an elbow nerve release surgeries have pretty much cleared it up.
scooterboy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
RatPatrolTX
DoD Zombied

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
All of a sudden experiencing major hand numbness after short rides on the GS1150.
Read a bunch of posts and internet blah blah and eventually called Vibranator as they seemed to have the answer. Unfortunately they no longer make those units for the GS.

Read about bore snake, filling bars with lead shot or caulk and puppy grips and gel gloves. They all seem to have varying results with mixed opinions.

My mechanic said it might be as simple as changing my arm position with adjustable risers although I thought that had more to do with arm pump. Has anyone here used the Rox Risers in either the anti vibration model or regular model and had any noticeable success with the diminishment of numbness?

Kind Regards,

Putty
Do you notice the entire hand going numb or is it all but your pinky? I ask because I had a spinal fusion that fixed that. Some say carpal tunnel causes it. Same position over long periods of course cause all riders to get it. If you get it right when you start riding, could be a pinched nerve, usually between C5-C7 depending on the fingers that go numb. Fusion only fixes it for a short time, I bought a Kaoko throttle lock and find I can shake it out now and then, hence the riding position theory is valid but could be something underlying. Just to be clear a fusion is LAST resort as I regret getting it. Causes stress on the disks above and below the fusion. Mine was caused by a mortar blast in Iraq. I will reiterate, don't get a fusion unless you absolutely can't deal with the numbness when not riding. As riders, we don't see not riding as an option.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
Steiney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
If you've just recently started having this problem and you've never had it before on this bike you may want to consider a very careful tune-up/throttle body sync. You may be getting more vibes due to TB's being out of sync. Just a thought...
Old 04-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #8
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Do your gloves have gauntlets that may be tight on your wrist? Or do you have cuffs on your jacket or liner that are tight on the wrists? That's what causes numbness for me. Try ensuring that nothing is binding on your wrist and see if that helps.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
Had the same. Absolutely killed riding for several years. Two carpal tunnel releases and I can go all day.....on the bike too.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #10
liviob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
You may not think you are, but your griping the hand grips too tight. Try to hold the grips as loose as possible. Focus your attention on your hand grip for an hour during a ride. Your attention may briefly wander off to something else when it comes back to your hands you may find that your gripping the handgrips much tighter than you previously thought. Once you learn to relax your grip your hand numbing will quit. I know this because i ride MX and offroad and have had to figure out how to get past hand cramping, arm pump and numbness. Getting a bar bend and bar position that distributes weight evenly across the palm helps too. Gloves can also cut off circulation.
liviob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #11
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 685
Put me in the neck surgery group, too. My symptoms were as you describe. Double fusion for me.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #12
The Shifty Jesus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Cheap thing to try first may be a cramp buster.
On long rides I would lose feeling in my last three fingers on the throttle side. This would last for an hour or two after getting off.
The stupid little plastic contraption helped.
The Shifty Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:40 PM   #13
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,881
Wrists and joints age, as you get older stuff doesn't work right and it can come on fast.

Look at and experiment with bar angle and sweep? Was there a change lately, new bar, grips or something else?

Grip diameter can also effect the buzzyness.

I also added grip pads to my bike. I was surprised how much easier it was to keep a little more weight off of my wrists.

squish screwed with this post 04-09-2014 at 02:43 AM
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:39 AM   #14
dppeter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I put the rox isolation type risers on my KLR. They reduces vibes somewhat but I still have numbness issues. On the same bike I added the vibronators, street tires and of course checked valves and did the doo, etc. She is about as smooth as she can be but I still get some numbness. I have just learned to deal with it. Padded gloves - gel - helped too.
Too tight a grip will definitely increase the problem. Windy days are the worst! Good luck.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:57 AM   #15
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
That symptom fits several of the above mentioned areas of the body but most commonly from CTS. Go read a symptom list & see if you have other symptoms besides from riding? A classic one is your hands wake you up at night! This comes from a combination of hand position and fact your asleep,etc.. I've had the CTS release surgery on both hands. As the median nerve that serves the hand also passes through several joints (shoulder,elbow,wrist) it's crucial to determine which of them might cause the issue. FWIW, some of my problem also comes from my shoulders but avoiding certain body positions helps with that one. I first went to a doc that didn't do all the right tests and was ready to cut on my hands before making a proper analysis. If you fit the profile from your own websearch @ place like WebMD then find a hand doc that's solid. My symptoms started to show seriously when I was in my 40's,now 70+. My release surgery was in 2001-R & 2002-L & I'm able to ride again since surgery plus less pain and doesn't awaken me either.
MC riding is one of many activities that not only bring on CTS symptoms but also can limit your ability to do them.
If you have CTS, prolonging the surgery only leads to further damage of the nerve. The surgery also doesn't actually "fix" the problem( nerve isn't "repaired") only buys you use/time as nerve is "released" from contact with the small carpel tunnel in the wrist, or whatever else they do in shoulders & elbows. Notice, I'm no doc, just had the so called "fix". Isolating vibration from my hands helps me survive w/o further damage. I wear work gloves(often winter gloves as thicker) more often and use thin liners in my MC gloves.
At time of my surgery people often asked if I used a computer a lot- actually no but using a mouse does aggravate my CTS as does many other activities.
Feel free to PM me for specifics from my experience.
12,13 & 14 above are on the money.
The comment "I just deal with it" is not a proactive way to avoid more nerve damage-look further than here! Once your at my situation then you are stuck with "just deal with whats left of your median nerve"!
Some work hard all their lives and don't "have it", others it takes only a short period of repetitive motion,vibrating tools or machines and they're out of commission. A chiropractor told me that there are several distinct versions of the carpal tunnel & mines the small one-evidently.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85

kantuckid screwed with this post 04-09-2014 at 07:03 AM
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote