User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
macinnisl OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
KLR 650 Trans Tank Bag

Does anyone have experience with the new stock Kawasaki Trans Tank Bag?

http://www.kawasaki.com/KawasakiNew/...CategoryID=160

I've been reading people seem to like the stock KLR tank bag. I'm between this new one (which seems cool with ports to access water and plugs), the smaller stock KLR bag, Wolfman Expedition and the Giant Loop Fandago.

I know people seem to suggest the stock KLR bag for the price but for a little extra room and convenience (I might run my phone into my tank bag) does anyone have any experience with this Trans tank bag? Or any strong opinions on bag selection?

They are all in my price range but I'm a KLR guy so if there's a cheaper way, I'll go for it!

Thanks!
macinnisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
macinnisl OP
Adventurer

here's a picture
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
macinnisl OP
Adventurer

another one
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2014, 07:16 AM   #4
googlie
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinnisl View Post
Does anyone have experience with the new stock Kawasaki Trans Tank Bag?
Thanks!
I have the trans bag and am quite happy with it. It is actually surprising how much stuff I can fit in there. You lose a lot of space to the gas cap but that you will have that issue with any bag on that tank.
googlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
TebKLR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
KLR tankbag

Wolfman is working well for me....
TebKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
PC12driver
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I have this bag. It's decent quality and reasonably well attached and very stable while riding. Access to the fuel filler is slick. I'd give it 4/5 and would buy it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PC12driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
macinnisl OP
Adventurer

Update:

So I ended up biting the bullet and buying the bag. Even the Kawi dealer didn't know about it till he looked it up and went... ok if you want it I'll order it in.

I have to say I got the bag I was very pleased! It took me only 2 minutes to put it on the bike and seems as solid as can be. The bag loses a little space as it generously gives the gas cap room to vent but is still quite large. It has 2 ports one on the front and one of the back so I can run my power equipment to the handlebars and my hydration pack to me (camelbak). It's extendable for extra space if I so chose as well.

For me it's never coming off the bike. I use it for my wallet, house keys, phone, water, and whatever else is hanging around normally in my pockets. I also have a little room to spare if I want to bring along a snack or something. Doesn't get in the rider position at all and in standing mode I can lean on it a little while riding and it does a good job of keeping me in place. Kawi did this bag right, but I can't compare it with any other bags.

I can not comment on how water resistant it is, I would imagine it's not. There's no water cover for it either. Pretty much my only complaint. They could have also put a piece of material to cover over the outside of the ports with some velcro or something to help keep out the elements. Being a cheap KLR owner I'll just carry a garbage bag around in the multiple zippered compartements generously found all around the bag.

Verdict: It's in my top 3 farkles on the bike so far! Well done Kawi!
Old 08-23-2014, 05:47 AM   #8
googlie
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinnisl View Post
I can not comment on how water resistant it is, I would imagine it's not.
I can comment and you imagine correctly. A garbage bag or small dry sack is definitely needed.
googlie is offline   Reply With Quote