Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 05:15 AM   #76
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,256
So...based on my other boot sizings, should I keep these 44's, or get a pair of 43's?
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #77
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
So...based on my other boot sizings, should I keep these 44's, or get a pair of 43's?
Hi Bob. Sorry for the delay.

First, your comment: " Wow...what gives with the EU/US sizing all over the place...? Doesn't seem like any boot manufacturer can get it right"......the wording is a little harsh, but it is basically true. The reality is that most moto footwear companies do a very good job of designing fit, and a good job of sizing, but standardizing the sizing is a huge process, well beyond the resources of all but the largest companies. To that, big companies like Nike have sizing teams and / or human factors people, and so do the huge footwear factories (the other source, the one I used to use when I developed footwear, was actually the US Army...). This is one reason why it is better to use casual footwear brands as benchmarks.

Anyway....My feeling is that you are probably better off with a 43 / 9. That said, I really think you shoudl take the Formas that you have to a running or outdoor store, and try them on with some insoles, before moving on trying the 9s.

I called a few mins ago (got a fax tone) but will try again tomorrow.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:42 AM   #78
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Didn't mean to come across harsh...but it's frustrating when the sizing is all over the place like that.

Thanks for getting back to me, and our home phone is pretty much for faxing only...I'll PM my cell
09 TE450
Old 01-09-2013, 03:37 AM   #79
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Decided that keeping the 44's, and manipulating the fit with insoles is smarter in the long run...this will give me more options across cold weather riding with the ability to remove liners to create room for extra socks/thick socks, then slip the insole back in for summer/single thin socks.

Huge thanks to BP...this is what great customer service is all about
09 TE450
Old 01-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #80
wesplains
Nothing normal please.

Oddometer: 272
Boots

Below is my last entry.

The size 46 pair came in, but had a crease on the outside of the right ankle causing it to rub.

I still would like to have a pair, but there is no place where a guy can go and try on a pair.

The Atomic guys are good to work with.

I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of the brown Forma Adv boots after talking to Brian on sizes. They came in last week, size 45. I have ordered other pairs of boots from Atomic in just the last couple of years. I wear a 10.5, D width in most tennis shoes.

Gaerne Balance Non oil boots = 44.5 good fit

Gaerne G-Adventure Boots = 46 good fit

Forma Adv boot = 45 too short, sent back

Forma 46 = due in today

The Forma seem to run wide and short

The Atomic gang are always good to work with and I will do buisness with them again.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #81
philincr
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thanks

Just wanted to pass on a note of thanks to Atomic Moto for the service. I ordered the Forma Adventure boots late on Friday afternoon and received a shipping notice within half an hour. Actually received the boots in Pennsylvania on Wednesday.

In my case I was hesitant but used the Aussie sizing chart in Post 71. It ended up being spot on and the boots feel great - in the house. If I used the US sizing they would not have fit. The temperature has been in the single digits here so I have not been able to ride with them yet. Will update after some actual use.
philincr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #82
LostViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Hey guys,

I am in need of boots. Tried the Sidi Adnventures, sold them because they were too narrow for my tastes, used the Canyons with good success.

Since the Tenere showed up a few days ago, I am looking at a more supportive, agressivly soled, wide footed boot.

I like the look of both the Adventure and the Boulder. I shot a few questions to Atomic Moto a few days ago and haven't heard back from them yet, so I thought I'd ask here.

In searching threads, it appears that both run a tad wide? And have room for my 17" calfs? The size correlation between my feet and the Aussie size chart looks more realistic than the US-metric side. I usually wear a 43, but lately a 43.5 works better.

Everyone speaks highly of Brian at AM, so maybe he will chime in here. My boots get used hard, I weigh around 220lbs. They will get worn all day any time I take the bike. Since that is my primarry mode of transportation between snow seasons, they need to hold up.

I see the Boulder is stitch down construction versus the inside stitch of the Adventures. Has anyone had issues with the Adv soles separating from the uppers?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Old 06-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #83
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,401
Sole separation?

Yes.

Sadly, I expected it & it didn't take long...
Old 06-15-2013, 06:43 AM   #84
LostViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
Yes.

Sadly, I expected it & it didn't take long...

Many folks have good luck with inside welt boots,

Me, not so much!

Apparently not you either.

Thanks,

Maybe the Boulders are the route to go for me.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #85
macbethandbanquo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Been following this thread and today, I got to talk to Brian, and a pair of 45 Forma Adventure Brown Nubuck will be headed to the Swamps of South Louisiana shortly.....they are just coming in from Europe. I was wearing the Sidi Vertigo's and the old Oxtars. Liked both boots. Now, having a couple of "issues" with my feet. Too tight shoes early caused the beginnings of a "hammer toe" and need wider toe box to make sure it is not effected. These seem to fit the bill. Besides, I will probably be On the road 80% of the time, OFF road 20%. Off road in the Swamps, means into the water, not many hills here!!

I'm very new to the Adventure idea, and will be trying out some BMW's tomorrow: the GS models: 650, 700, 800, to see which one I like.

All of my boots are racing/touring style for the Yamaha FZ1. Decided at my advanced age (70) that I need to slow down a little. So I will sell the Yamaha (getting new back brakes at the shop now) and hit the road with a smaller, slower bike.

Have done lots of motorcycle camping in "way past" years: some in Ontario, British Columbia, Maine, Colorado and such on BMW road bikes.

I'm really looking forward to the Forma Adventures!! They look "Retro Cool" to me!

Brian is one knowledgeable guy on his boots!! I appreciate the time he took to help me in my selection, and am sure I will be pleased!

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread!!
macbethandbanquo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #86
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,284
Cape Horn or Adventures?

There are always good reports on the BMW Santiagos, seems like the Cape Horn is the same boot or very similar.

Pro's and cons for each to help an inmate decide?
Old 08-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #87
macbethandbanquo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Update on Forma Adventure boots!

Got them in a couple of days ago and the 45's fit my 10.5D foot perfectly. Not too short.....just right! The 46's would have been too long. I really like the fit. The wider toe box was a big bonus.

On my brand new BMW F650 I had to learn to angle my left foot down in order to get under the shift lever. Thought I might have to move it, but after 2 rides of about 70 miles each, it became natural for me....seems they are breaking in and letting me flex my ankle to get my toe under the lever. Getting easier each time.

They are extremely comfortable! I wore my Alpinestars Vapor knee/shin guards underneath them and they fit perfect.

All in all I can say this is absolutely my favorite pair of cycle boots of ALL the boots I've owned. Second would be the old Oxtars, which are more street/racer oriented.

Another added bonus: the lug sole gave me more height so I sit more flat footed on the BMW! And Standing on the pegs was effortless and I could not even feel the peg biting into bottom of my feet. My Sidi Vertigos were thinner soles and I could feel them flex.

Kudos to Brian....I was worried that they would be too short....but he convinced me it would fit. Brian knows his boots!!

Mitch
macbethandbanquo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #88
snowmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Forma

just got a pair of Forma Adv last week, sizing was correct for my size 13 foot, the boot fits well an average to wider foot , especially with a high instep, very comfortable boot with plenty of protection, I put them on and then forgot about them, got about 500 miles in them so far from road to gnarly creek beds, they did not leak at all while standing in a creek for a minute or two...easy to walk in for a dirtbike boot and ample protection when bashing thru the rocks, my thor force kneepads fit in the calves just fine, very happy with them
snowmark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #89
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
Does anyone have any first hand knowledge/use of this boot.
I do. Good boots. Nicely made. Comfortable.

That said, little 400 mile round trip ride this weekend and I reached for my old Sidi's. Not sure why.

Been thinking about selling the Forma's but can't quite bring myself too yet.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #90
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
sizing

In peoples experience, does the Forma Adventure boot run a bit short compared to other brands ?

My foot measures 11" .
I thought that would equate to EUR45 but a couple of Vendors have recommended size EUR 46.
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote