Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #46
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin
I kept trying to figure where the wobble was coming from on my floor mount Craftsman drill press.
Don't kid yourself, it was probably in the chuck on your drill press.

I have the top of the line Craftsman, 16" deep floor standing drill press (the $500 one with the big table). I put a ground dowel and dial indicator on it: 0.010" of total runout. I'm sure it's in the chuck but, I expected better from Craftsman.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:40 PM   #47
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey
Don't kid yourself, it was probably in the chuck on your drill press.

I have the top of the line Craftsman, 16" deep floor standing drill press (the $500 one with the big table). I put a ground dowel and dial indicator on it: 0.010" of total runout. I'm sure it's in the chuck but, I expected better from Craftsman.
I had time to re-re and double check my drill press and the offending drill bits today.

My chuck shows .0025 run out. The drill bits are all bent. When rolling the

shank of the drill brill bits on a surface plate, the tip (hanging off the edge)

scribes a circle in the air. Every one of them. At the time (2 years ago) the drill press and the bits

were new to me. It took me a few days to figure it out. Did I mention this drill press is 50 or 60 years old.

I like old heavy cast iron stuff.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:20 PM   #48
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,548
Ahh...ok. I guess I had better luck with their drills. I actually have their 115 piece, titanium-nitride coated bits from about 6 years ago. I actually use that set for precision holes on my CNC. As the bits wear out or break, I replace them with good ones but, I haven't had any with runout like you describe.

Though they may have cheapened them up a bit in recent years. I sometimes wonder how they can hold the line on price when everything seems to be going up.

The multiple 6" digital calipers I bought 5 years ago are much nicer and much smoother than the ones they sell today. The new ones need to be taken apart and all the surfaces polished with steel wool before they'll work acceptably. Of course, they still sell them for the same $16 as 5 years ago. Something had to give. I guess it was quality.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #49
BugsInMyTeeth
zOOk farmer

Oddometer: 25
4 1/2" angle grinder

Swapped out 2 new diamond blades before I got suspicious. Bent arbor right out of the box.

Drill bit sharpener met its demise at the end of a #12 sledgehammer. It was quite liberating actually.

Those are the only real bad experinces off the top of my head. Most everything else I got what I paid for. Some even much more. HF is somewhat of a crapshoot, but whaddya expect? Just ride that thing till the wheels fall off!
'90 DR250
'00 LT-F300F KingQuad
BugsInMyTeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #50
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 673
no hand shake for you,SIR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD
I was looking at one of the HF tire machines and I swear I could have bent it in two with my bare hands so I passed.
' Jaysus!
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:58 AM   #51
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Harbor Freight, America's #1 Seller of TSOs (Tool Shaped Objects)!!

Miter Saw Stand. I don't know if they make it anymore, but the only thing it did right was keep the saw off the ground! POS of the most frustrating kind.
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:00 AM   #52
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,805
IMHO a lot of comon sense is required when choosing HF tools. If the part looks flimsy, it probably is. Can you make it better easily and without making the cost too high? If so, buy it.

I have a lot of HF stuff, most is just fine, for what I use it for.

I have changed about 240 sets of tires, yes nearly 500 tires, on my HF tire changer. It has never come close to failing. I use my HF bike lift nearly daily, and have for almost three years. No issues. I have a HF belt sander, HF DA sander, HF heat gun, and numerous HF hand tools.

Only the heat gun failed, after 2 years of moderate use. But at $9.99, not a bad deal. I absolutely hate the HF pliars and wire cutters, as well as screwdrivers, but most of the HF Torx and Allen sockets I have had were perfect with moderate to heavy use.

I passed on the HF welding stand, but instead got the cheaper tool cart and use that for my HF welder (that has worked great so far), and use the stand for all kinds of things. Right now it is holding a car door I am working on.

Like I said, a little comon sense goes a long way.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:16 AM   #53
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I have changed about 240 sets of tires, yes nearly 500 tires, on my HF tire changer. It has never come close to failing. I use my HF bike lift nearly daily, and have for almost three years. No issues. I have a HF belt sander, HF DA sander, HF heat gun, and numerous HF hand tools.

What are you using for the base for your HF tire changer in that photo? Round piece of painted plywood?

I was thinking of buying the tire changer and doing something similar, or maybe using 2x4's, that way it was mobile and could throw it in the back of a truck and relocate it for a tire changing party, etc.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #54
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox
What are you using for the base for your HF tire changer in that photo? Round piece of painted plywood?

I was thinking of buying the tire changer and doing something similar, or maybe using 2x4's, that way it was mobile and could throw it in the back of a truck and relocate it for a tire changing party, etc.
Yup, actually it is one end of a cable roll. Works pretty well, but you really need someone to stand on it for it to be 100% effective. I use it alone and it tries to tip.

How I use it: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/Tire_Change.html

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #55
Gundecker
aka fng

Oddometer: 106
When the Harfr. opened here I walked into the store and annouced:"At last,a source of cheap disposable crap made in china.God bless you!" Everybody laughed.I bought a few items and left. Seriously,I have found that if it requires a good edge,electricity,any kind of precision or load bearing qualities,it will fail. You get what you pay for and I think china is outsourceing some stuff to Pakistan or Somalia. Expect one time use and anything else is langiappe.
Gundecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #56
me109g4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
hey, if you pay "junk" prices,, its a fair bet you will get "junk" tools, plain and simple..
me109g4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #57
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by me109g4
hey, if you pay "junk" prices,, its a fair bet you will get "junk" tools, plain and simple..

Oh gosh no. Just use common sense and you'll only get screwed half

the time and the 9 year olds will get a lunch break when production slows.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #58
BWJ
ninja lurker

Oddometer: 85
I have gone through lots of HF tooling. I had a prybar with a plastic handle shattered on the first wack. I also broke a 3/8" drive allen key socket on the first use when torquing down my triple tree clamps. My die grinder has been used and abused and was a good $8 investment. Got a decent bench vise for a good price and my $5 multi meter works like a champ.
BWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:03 AM   #59
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,056
Bought a box of bubble gum at HF....tastes terrible and cant blow bubbles with it......

I don't buy power tools at HF. But I do buy cheap tools that I don't care if I lose or break. I packed my bikes tool bag with hex wrenches, screwdrivers and box end wrenches from Harbor Freight. That way my nice Craftsman stuff can stay safely in my garage. I also can occasionally find good prices on safety glasses, work gloves, nitrile gloves, ear plugs, etc.

And also my pry bar converted to tire spoon for $3.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:42 AM   #60
panhead_dan
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 716
I bought the wifey a HF rock polishing tumbler a couple of years ago and couldn't keep a belt on it. It never worked. I reasoned that the more expensive vibrating polisher would work better due to no belt drive. Set it to work on the countertop and left it run for the night. Upon inspecting the next day I found the biggest mess you ever saw! The damned thing disintigrated. Parts, rocks polishing compound and water everywhere.

Harbor freight got the last money it will ever get from me.
panhead_dan is offline   Reply With Quote