Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #76
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,070
I got a dual sided carborundum stone (combination sharpening stone #7345) and it is pretty useless as a sharpener as the particles of the stone are not abrasive at all. Granted it is only $3 but it's a waste of $3.
GreaseMonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #77
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,115
Generally speaking you can look at the hand tools and tell if they're going to be junk or not. some are decent, some aren't. Most of the air tools the aren't super cheap are ok. The earthquake impacts are good.
The power hand tools are mostly acceptable just stay away from the drill master stuff.
As long as you don't expect a $20 grinder to be as good as an $80 one everything is usually alright.
JTucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #78
mrchristian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Has anybody used the harbor freight dirt bike stand? $16 after the usual 20% coupon. Crazy cheap. I just don't want to crush it the first time I swing my WR400 on it.

I have had a lot of those LED lights stowed in my car/camelbak/desk that are free with the coupon. They work fine. Their $3 ratcheting tie downs work fine for dirt bikes,

mrchristian screwed with this post 07-24-2010 at 10:27 AM
mrchristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #79
JeffD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchristian
Has anybody used the harbor freight dirt bike stand? $16 after the usual 20% coupon. Crazy cheap. I just don't want to crush it the first time I swing my WR400 on it.

I have had a lot of those LED lights stowed in my car/camelbak/desk that are free with the coupon. They work fine. Their $3 ratcheting tie downs work fine for dirt bikes,
no but it looks like it might make a good portable shitter LOL.
JeffD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:35 AM   #80
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,841
Quote:

A friend uses the other syle HF dirt bike lift/stand and has been happy with it.

They would have to out do themselves in a big way to make this stand so bad that it wouldn't work.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:08 AM   #81
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMotorcyclist
They would have to out do themselves in a big way to make this stand so bad that it wouldn't work.
It does pass 2/3 of my HF test:

Only one part and no plug that's good
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #82
MikeM1968
just ride it

Oddometer: 94
As someone else posted selecting this stuff is common sense. If it looks like crap, it probably is. I've seen lots of stuff that looks like it should work, and many that I wouldn't even touch, and I'm certainly no expert mechanic or tool smith either.

I've found several workable items at HF. The thing is, I'm not always looking for tools for the "long haul", but rather for some random project I started and realized (usually in the middle of it) that I just don't have the right tools to finish it.

For one or two random jobs / projects, (like the saddle bag brackets I'm currently working on) -- I'm not about to go out and spend tons of money on the best "craftsman®" stuff or whatever, so the HF equivalent is "good enough" to get the job done.

I even got a pretty decent ratchet and socket set that hasn't failed me (yet) and I've worked with it quite a bit now. I purchased a separate flexible ratchet with it so even if the (very cheap looking) one that came with the set failed, I'll have a back-up and the sockets will still be use-able. In-fact, I'd dare say the only difference is that this set doesn't come in a fancy case like a "craftsman®" set would. -- I could care less about having a fancy looking carrying case for it.

The other cool thing about HF is they have stuff right on the shelf that other places just don't. If I go to sears or even many auto parts stores and ask one of the employees there if they have a simple brake bleeder kit, most of them don't even know WTF I'm talking about. Then after wasting tons of time getting someone else who does know and them getting someone else who does know, they discover they don't carry it in stock or I need to order it on-line.

At HF, it's right there, on the shelf, no BS. If it looks like crap, I just don't buy it (or I don't expect much out of it if I do)
Old 07-26-2010, 02:44 PM   #83
sonoran
aint got time fo dat

Oddometer: 20,421
I've got a Harbor Freight electric hoist which is starting to grind and overheat after just a handful of uses.

I also have a HF rivet gun which constantly jams and is a total POS.

I'm a cheap fucker so I guess I get what I deserve.
sonoran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #84
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
I've used it, and it's fine. Although, I haven't put anything as heavy as a WR400 on it. Mine has propped up an RM80, and is currently elevating a YSR50 frame, both of which it has handled admirably.
groundrules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #85
klatelm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
40 miles from home no drill. bought a 12 dollar drill to drill 3 holes. drill caught on fire but got the job done.
klatelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:41 AM   #86
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by klatelm
40 miles from home no drill. bought a 12 dollar drill to drill 3 holes. drill caught on fire but got the job done.
What were you drilling???

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:12 AM   #87
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Their snap-ring pliers are junk. I think there's a reason the Craftsman ones are so pricey... The Harbor Freight ones bend and break within the first couple uses.

Their little $6 rotary tool kinda sucks too, not much power. It does get some stuff done though, so I won't complain.

I'm a cheap bastard, but I'm trying to think of any HF tools that I still use on a regular basis. I bought their big C-clamp and use it as a bead breaker. The $2 rubber mallet works pretty good, but I don't know where mine is $5 multimeter actually worked pretty well for me as well.

El Guero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:51 AM   #88
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Oddometer: 1,350
HF, "quick release" universal compression tester.

The guage works fine, but the ONE size of threaded insert (to go into the spark plug hole) I need is so woefully mis threaded/1/2 threaded there is no way you could put it in a plug hole.

Long strands of metal "treads" still attached, and the threads are mis-cut

Don't have a die to chase the threads on it. Useless.
Certified SAE J1287 sound tester
Rodzilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #89
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,565
Quote:

i have one, good enough quality. It sits quite high though, at least for my DR650, maybe not for a real dirt bike.
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #90
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,922
Funnychineseyjunk

...they might Look like tools, but they're only a facsimile ..

But i did buy the neumatic bike lift for under $250, and it's worked fine for 3 years. If I had my druthers I'd have a Kendon or other.

I'm on my third throwaway body grinder (under $10). One of them is a 'good' Home Depot model, same crap as the HF.

Can't pass up the $5.99 heat gun...just don't drop it.

Got a set of the gold drills from my dad, use once and throw away...
'81 R100RS Rattlecandy Red
'06 950 ADV Orangeboom
91 R100GSPD Derelict

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote