ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 02:13 PM   #31
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 36,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos
Amateurs...




It is entirely possibly true that i might be looking to rent a bike for a few weeks in the summer. After the World Cup of course.
Amateur:



__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #32
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum
 
Motornoggin's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Lightning Bugs, High Plains Chapter
Oddometer: 20,930
I don't see why a phone call is so bad. If they can't get back to you with a simple phone call, why the hell would I want to go in to the place?

When I bought my C14 I called and talked to a salesman at a local dealer and he said they wouldn't be interested in my trade (Buell XB12X). I thanked him for being upfront and I called another dealer in the region. I made sure he knew exactly what my trade would be and he said they wuold be interested in my trade (gave me a ballpark figure) and they were willing to deal and blah, blah, blah... I was ready to buy that day. I went in with my trade, he set me up with a demo ride and when I got back he proceeded to tell me they weren't interested in my trade. Wasted time on both sides.

I went down the road and made a deal that afternoon.


I was with a friend at a Yamaha dealer. He was there trying to buy a dirtbike for his son. He found one he liked and asked the salesman how much it was. He said he couldn't give a price without talking to the sales manager first. My friend got out his checkbook, started to write a check out and asked again. Still, no price available.

The lot boy happened to overhear and said he would see what he could do. Less than five minutes later he came back with a price. He went and loaded the bike up for us while the paperwork was being done.

The stupid salesman could not comprehend an easy sale, but the lot boy could. Why does there have to be such a disconnect between buyers and sales people? Makes no sense.
__________________
O.K. Joke's over. You can bring back the constitution now. Please.

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #33
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 4,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub1242
They are the lowest form of life on earth.


My wife and I are looking for a CPO BMW 5-series. She finds a 2008 model with the features and mileage we want. Give them a call....3 times. We are looking to buy, like right now. Never heard anything. Had to call the sales manager and finally got hooked up with a "saleman".
He gives me the rundown on how the CPO deal works, etc. Stuff I already know because we have researched the cars for months. I ask him to give me a walk-out-the-door-right-now price. I again tell him we are ready to buy right now.
He calls back about 15 minutes later and tells me "I can sell the car for $35,500. Thats the right price for the market in a 200 mile radius."
The price on the car was $35,900..........
I would think with the economy like it is and car sales being way down these guys would be jumping over each other to get a sale.
Sorry, I know I'm stating the obvious but F&#@ I hate them!
what's ur zip code, and what yr/model/trim lev was he pricing out for you?
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #34
Cos
Re-Greekified
 
Cos's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Home
Oddometer: 10,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motornoggin
I don't see why a phone call is so bad. If they can't get back to you with a simple phone call, why the hell would I want to go in to the place?

When I bought my C14 I called and talked to a salesman at a local dealer and he said they wouldn't be interested in my trade (Buell XB12X). I thanked him for being upfront and I called another dealer in the region. I made sure he knew exactly what my trade would be and he said they wuold be interested in my trade (gave me a ballpark figure) and they were willing to deal and blah, blah, blah... I was ready to buy that day. I went in with my trade, he set me up with a demo ride and when I got back he proceeded to tell me they weren't interested in my trade. Wasted time on both sides.

I went down the road and made a deal that afternoon.

A call in itself is not a problem. Bad form on their part for not calling back actually.However, they did give him a price that was lower than sticker (ok, not by much) and he's still blowing a gasket. Did he make a counter offer? Did he commit? Did he say "If you give it to me for X amount i'll put a deposit on it right now? This is how much i'm willing to give you. Take it or leave it." He said he researched the car extensively, right? So he must have known how much he thought the car was worth. Make a freakin offer. Especially if you know they need to make the sale.

Now, when it comes to trades, i would never commit to taking a bike in unless the bike itself showed up and we could take a look at it. I could tell you some stories about trade-ins .

When it comes to "salesmen are scum" stories, this doesn't even come close to qualifying.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Appalachian mudsquid
Why do we always hurt the ones we hit?

Cos screwed with this post 03-18-2010 at 02:33 PM
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #35
a1fa
Riding Nomad™
 
a1fa's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 13,461
So.. Here am I in the office, watching youtube, porntube, and I dont give a fuck tube, and some asshole calls me, interrupts me mid-sentance aksin' me about my Bimmur 5 series I just got on the lot.

That mofo is brand new with low miles, and the asking price is right on the dot. Fucker gives me run around how economy sucks and I should bend over and hand him the keys right over the phone. I gotta check the boss if we can waive the dealership doc fees we are entitled to charge.

I debated if I should call him. So 15 minutes later I pop him a call and the guy gives me shit how I should've bent over and handed out the car for $20k..

Amateur...
__________________
Learn to ride. Ride to learn.
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #36
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum
 
Motornoggin's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Lightning Bugs, High Plains Chapter
Oddometer: 20,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos
A call in itself is not a problem. Bad form on their part for not calling back actually.However, they did give him a price that was lower than sticker (ok, not by much) and he's still blowing a gasket. Did he make a counter offer? Did he commit? Did he say "If you give it to me for X amount i'll put a deposit on it right now? This is how much i'm willing to give you. Take it or leave it." He said he researched the car extensively, right? So he must have known how much he thought the car was worth. Make a freakin offer. Especially if you know they need to make the sale.

Now, when it comes to trades, i would never commit to taking a bike in unless the bike itself showed up and we could take a look at it. I could tell you some stories about trade-ins .

When it comes to "salesmen are scum" stories, this doesn't even come close to qualifying.
I agree about the OP. I don't see him having much reason to spout, but I don't know the whole story.

I wouldn't expect a trade commintment over the phone, but going from a consideration to no way (the sales manager actually threw an insult in for good measure) is wasting my time.


I don't think all salemen are scum either. I just think there is a communication problem that doesn't need to exsist.

Side note, how ya been?
__________________
O.K. Joke's over. You can bring back the constitution now. Please.

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #37
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 36,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motornoggin
I don't see why a phone call is so bad. If they can't get back to you with a simple phone call, why the hell would I want to go in to the place?

When I bought my C14 I called and talked to a salesman at a local dealer and he said they wouldn't be interested in my trade (Buell XB12X). I thanked him for being upfront and I called another dealer in the region. I made sure he knew exactly what my trade would be and he said they wuold be interested in my trade (gave me a ballpark figure) and they were willing to deal and blah, blah, blah... I was ready to buy that day. I went in with my trade, he set me up with a demo ride and when I got back he proceeded to tell me they weren't interested in my trade. Wasted time on both sides.

I went down the road and made a deal that afternoon.


I was with a friend at a Yamaha dealer. He was there trying to buy a dirtbike for his son. He found one he liked and asked the salesman how much it was. He said he couldn't give a price without talking to the sales manager first. My friend got out his checkbook, started to write a check out and asked again. Still, no price available.

The lot boy happened to overhear and said he would see what he could do. Less than five minutes later he came back with a price. He went and loaded the bike up for us while the paperwork was being done.

The stupid salesman could not comprehend an easy sale, but the lot boy could. Why does there have to be such a disconnect between buyers and sales people? Makes no sense.
I hear you on the trades, luckily I ended up getting a good one for my Blackbird but a few places were basically giving me joke numbers for it. (They weren't too bright either since 2-3 weeks later I saw my bike parked a 2 minute walk from my apartment )

Also some places try to not put prices on bikes, it is price plus set up/fee etc. as the price you will be quoted then you negotiate.

As for the call shopping they should get back to you asap, if the sales manager was busy with an important sale and he had to wait to get the number.

Also if you get the person in the dealer and give them a good experience you could get bonus money through accessories if it's a bike, or service for either. Someone who only drops in with a check will have no attachment to you.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #38
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum
 
Motornoggin's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Lightning Bugs, High Plains Chapter
Oddometer: 20,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms
I hear you on the trades, luckily I ended up getting a good one for my Blackbird but a few places were basically giving me joke numbers for it. (They weren't too bright either since 2-3 weeks later I saw my bike parked a 2 minute walk from my apartment )

Also some places try to not put prices on bikes, it is price plus set up/fee etc. as the price you will be quoted then you negotiate.

As for the call shopping they should get back to you asap, if the sales manager was busy with an important sale and he had to wait to get the number.

Also if you get the person in the dealer and give them a good experience you could get bonus money through accessories if it's a bike, or service for either. Someone who only drops in with a check will have no attachment to you.
A good salesman should be able to recognize and accomodate a quick sale on a kids dirtbike. Some folks want to be fussed over, some like the back and forth, this guy wants to write a check and be done ASAP. Do that for him and he will be a good repeat customer. We were there for half an hour looking at gear, accessories and bikes with no help. It's shameful (for the dealer) that the lot boy was the one on the ball and understood what his customer was asking for.

That dealer is out of business BTW.
__________________
O.K. Joke's over. You can bring back the constitution now. Please.

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #39
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 36,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motornoggin
A good salesman should be able to recognize and accomodate a quick sale on a kids dirtbike. Some folks want to be fussed over, some like the back and forth, this guy wants to write a check and be done ASAP. Do that for him and he will be a good repeat customer. We were there for half an hour looking at gear, accessories and bikes with no help. It's shameful (for the dealer) that the lot boy was the one on the ball and understood what his customer was asking for.

That dealer is out of business BTW.
The salesman does not have the final say over the price, he could quote the MSRP but for a deal he will need to see the sales manager.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #40
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum
 
Motornoggin's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Lightning Bugs, High Plains Chapter
Oddometer: 20,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms
The salesman does not have the final say over the price, he could quote the MSRP but for a deal he will need to see the sales manager.
He was perfectly willing to pay MSRP (they didn't deal on kids bikes anyway). The bike wasn't marked and all he wanted was a price, whatever it was, just a price. They salesman was free to go talk to the SM, but he wouldn't. He stammered, hymmed and hawwed, started his pitch over and over again, but couldn't come up with a price, any price.
__________________
O.K. Joke's over. You can bring back the constitution now. Please.

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #41
Range Motorsport
Junk collector
 
Range Motorsport's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Da UP Eh!
Oddometer: 1,647
You should only be pissed if the salesman failed to tell you about the check engine light on the vehicle and how the tranny is screwed up on the excellent condition low mileage vehicle you just drove 500 miles to pick up. Yeah I was pissed. Fuck Toyota dealers.
__________________
2007 KTM Superduke
SNL Will Ferrell Yoga, google it.
www.adventuremine.com
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #42
jdub1242 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jdub1242's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Oklahoma City, ok
Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell57
Why didn't you just tell him, "I'll give you 30k out the door."

Plus, if your serious, why the hell are you calling? Go up there talk face to face. It will most likely render much better results.
There is one dealership here close. They have numerous dealerships where we are calling, they are 6-7 hours away. I have sent them several offers online. I have a friend that sells/brokers for a BMW dealership so he has access to their prices. Other dealerships further away (fly in and drive home) have similar cars with thousands off. Just trying to make it easy for both sides. Some just dont seem interested in selling. Never asked him to bend over, but a show of faith would be nice. Asked for more detailed photos but got nothing. Im not going to drive that far and turn around with nothing. We are in no hurry. Just amazes me.

And FYYFFs!

jdub1242 screwed with this post 03-18-2010 at 03:46 PM
jdub1242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #43
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Studiously avoiding the cookie jar
Oddometer: 26,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motornoggin
Why does there have to be such a disconnect between buyers and sales people? Makes no sense.
Not sure, but I've been told it's because they make the real money on the financing. And while that's probably no longer true with rates as low as they are it just seems to be something that is stuck in the collective mind. No one ever wants to talk price, just downer and payments.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #44
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 4,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub1242
There is one dealership here close. They have numerous dealerships where we are calling, they are 6-7 hours away. I have sent them several offers online. I have a friend that sells/brokers for a BMW dealership so he has access to their prices. Other dealerships further away (fly in and drive home) have similar cars with thousands off. Just trying to make it easy for both sides. Some just dont seem interested in selling. Never asked him to bend over, but a show of faith would be nice. Asked for more detailed photos but got nothing. Im not going to drive that far and turn around with nothing. We are in no hurry. Just amazes me.

And FYYFFs!
What zip code are you in? And what model/trim level & yr was he working with? How many miles on it?
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #45
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum
 
Motornoggin's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Lightning Bugs, High Plains Chapter
Oddometer: 20,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda
Not sure, but I've been told it's because they make the real money on the financing. And while that's probably no longer true with rates as low as they are it just seems to be something that is stuck in the collective mind. No one ever wants to talk price, just downer and payments.
I have to finance primary vehicle, but I still talk price, not payment. If you talk payment alone, you're ripe for a good screwing.

Our local GM dealer is one of those one price, no dickering places. I do my homework beforehand and am always treated well and I know I got a good price. Last one I bought there took less than an hour.
__________________
O.K. Joke's over. You can bring back the constitution now. Please.

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014