Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #106
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
Actual quotes from a salesman at a local Ford dealer this afternoon:

"The US gets the same Focus as Europe. You were driving the same exact vehicle in the UK that we have on the lot here."

"I don't think Ford is going to release a new Focus. Something called a Fiesta is replacing it."

"The 2011 Mustang is just as good as the 2010 Mustang. No changes."

"The Fusion is made in Michigan."

"Huh, I never noticed that the manual transmission is a 6 speed." in a 2010 Fusion.

koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #107
AzB
Fattest thin man

Oddometer: 3,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha
Actual quotes from a salesman at a local Ford dealer this afternoon:

"The US gets the same Focus as Europe. You were driving the same exact vehicle in the UK that we have on the lot here."

"I don't think Ford is going to release a new Focus. Something called a Fiesta is replacing it."

"The 2011 Mustang is just as good as the 2010 Mustang. No changes."

"The Fusion is made in Michigan."

"Huh, I never noticed that the manual transmission is a 6 speed." in a 2010 Fusion.

None of those things surprise me. The last new car I bought, the salesman had no idea where the battery was.

And it was a $40000 car.

Az
Old 04-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #108
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
the first Passat i leased had the salesman showing me how the ash tray cover opened & closed with just a touch of the finger and the nice little handles to hold located above the doors.

then he explained "... i worked in the textile industry all my life and now, i'm like here ..."

i don't blame the guy, because the was straight up front about not knowing doodily-squat. on the other hand, the manager of the dealership should have been slid down a 50' razor blade into a swimming pool full of iodine
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #109
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzB
None of those things surprise me. The last new car I bought, the salesman had no idea where the battery was.

And it was a $40000 car.

Az
I wasn't surprised.

However, I do expect people to say they don't know rather than make up an answer. Silence doesn't make me feel awkward. I am perfectly fine with silence. I think he was uncomfortable and was trying to fill the void.

We'll see how it goes tomorrow at a different dealer.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #110
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbear
Phone calls seldom get good results from the store I work at. Why give you a price you can go shop around?

I want you to come in and be committed before I'm going to give away my paycheck. But that's just me.
By contrast, I run a small business and buy at least one vehicle a year - usually two or three.

If we don't get a price in response to an email, we don't buy. First time we show up is to drop off a check and sign the paperwork.

Anyone who thinks that "sales" means aggressively standing around a showroom waiting for bodies to show up deserves what they get. Customers get better when you do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TROhlThs9qY

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:25 AM   #111
AzB
Fattest thin man

Oddometer: 3,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman
If we don't get a price in response to an email, we don't buy. First time we show up is to drop off a check and sign the paperwork.

I always email the fleet or internet sales and go to the dealer with the best fair price. My time is worth something too, and I have better things to do than stand around a dealership and dicker with some idiot for 5 hours.

I bought my wife a new car in Feb. Sent out the emails, got a reasonable offer from a dealer about 15 miles away. Headed up to the dealer that sent the email. Was in and out in an hour with a very fair price. No games, no haggling, no surprises.

The only better way to do it is to hire a broker. Man, that's fast, easy, and you get a guaranteed lower price.

Az
Old 04-03-2010, 06:34 AM   #112
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzB

I always email the fleet or internet sales and go to the dealer with the best fair price. My time is worth something too, and I have better things to do than stand around a dealership and dicker with some idiot for 5 hours.//
Yeah, I don't beat them over the head: we could usually squeeze another couple hundred out of them, but that's a waste of our time also. We don't want "low bidder" business either because after negotiating endlessly for the cheapest price, they are the first to complain about service. It's like if you are willing to do business with them, you don't deserve respect. So it's "Win/win or walk" for us.

I usually check Edmunds.com and knock a few hundred off that price, since they've shilled out their market pricing.

Bought a new WRX in 2009, though and the dealer floored me with a price that was a grand lower: that was in the depths of the recession.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #113
Mr. J
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzB
....My time is worth something too, and I have better things to do than stand around a dealership....

i just got back from the local toyota dealer. had to bring a client's car in to the xpress lube. i want to get a Tacoma next year, so i moseyed over to the showroom while waiting for the oil & filter.

this is the same dealer i contacted 6 or 7 weeks ago to send me a brouchure. 2 weeks not receiving anything and i called again. gal answered this time and promised she'd follow up & send. 2 weeks after, i called and spoke with the sales manager. he explained toyota had pulled their literature & was revising tech specs to more accurate numbers.

so i wander in today, still no brochure. bunch of kids and old tubs watching me until "junior" - i never asked him his name - came over to help. i asked him for literature and he came up with 2 or 3 other reasons why they didn't have brouchure he had heard someone say he thought.

so i had to ask him to check with somebody who could give me one of the original answers and finally a guy over 25 shouted across the showroom that they hadn't gotten the new brochures in yet. but he did suggest that i go online and download a brochure because it would have the most current information - more current than the dealer would have.

i half heartedly thanked him and started to leave when another young man walked up between me and the door and offered to locate & print a brochure for me. there we a couple of computer stations in the showroom and his clicked a bit and then walked over to the printer which by then was spewing forth toyota literature.

while this was happening, gabby guy #1 returns and attempts to make idle chit chat. i asked him if he had received any training for his position, by whom, and if he learned anything. by now, he's foregone any credibility which i would have extended. i am not trying too hard to be engaged by him, rather only offering minimal encouragers to his quips.

in the midst of this second encounter, another sales ass-o-she-it wanders by and slaps #1 beside the head. literally. albiet really a 'love tap', no amount of my trying to convince Numero Uno it was inappropriate none the less had any effect on him. just another day in study hall as far as he was concerned.

finally, helpful guy #2 comes back with the printed brochure, stapled together, and asked if there was anything else he could do to help. i thanked him and asked for his business card. he faux fumbled, i don't think anyone ever asked him before, and went to the counter and grabbed a generic card and scibbled his name on it while he walked back in order to give it to me.

so i am still on the fence with this dealer. he's geographically close, reputed to have a decent service department (that's what he told me, anyway), and has at least one person on his sales staff that may be able to be a salesman if he can stick it out long enough.

Q: do i expect too much?

later, my experience at the bank this morning
Old 04-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #114
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 939
If the salesmen were at all on their game they'd have offered to drive you in the taco and give you a good walk around. You really can get better info online than in the brochure. What do you want to know about the taco? I sold one today.
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #115
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilLeR Kawasaki
If the salesmen were at all on their game they'd have offered to drive you in the taco and give you a good walk around. You really can get better info online than in the brochure. What do you want to know about the taco? I sold one today.

Yup. I was a walking brochure when there were none in the cupboard.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:51 AM   #116
Mr. J
Banned

i think my experience was a slice of life. #1 was there but had little preparation, #2 was there and fighting to get ahead, and #3 was just there through attrition.

you guys are probably #2s with more experience.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:37 AM   #117
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,011
so after all the drama whats the end of the story here, did the OP buy a car or not?
Old 12-15-2013, 05:52 AM   #118
mflora98ss
Dual Sportin'

Oddometer: 401
I think all the people involved in this story have since passed on.
mflora98ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #119
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,589
He's still waiting for the dealer to call back with their "best" price.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #120
MarylandStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
so after all the drama whats the end of the story here, did the OP buy a car or not?
After 3-1/2 years does it really matter?
MarylandStrom is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: