ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #121
AngryScot
.
 
AngryScot's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: ☼ Ca ☼
Oddometer: 18,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRat
oh yes





Got to be quick to get them too.

Some pure artistic beauty in metal
__________________
⊕R1200GS⊕ For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
⊕Zuma 125⊕For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
Save $5 on Smugmug "so9RUAXlMm0bE"

AngryScot screwed with this post 03-26-2010 at 09:56 PM
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #122
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer
 
Motomedic's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Spokane
Oddometer: 2,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS
If the shit hits the fan and I need to get home I'm kicking in some doors and taking what I need. Am I a looter? No I'm desperate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset
He's in California, where every home is a bounty of good will and generous resources. Chances are, everyone will just share with him and the communal love will sustain him in his time of need.

This might be Kalifornistan, but try kicking in my door and I guarantee you, if I'm home it will end badly for you.

If I'm not there and the shit has hit the fan, go ahead and help yourself 'cause I'm already gone with all the goods!
__________________
Feike

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #123
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze
 
DireWolf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: In the Mustard Booyah. Whooop!!
Oddometer: 12,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot
I think I am addicted:
I dropped $100 at that place.

Jerk.















Can't wait to play with my pocket grappeling hook though.
__________________
Please help Elias' (Toolfan's) young family - they lost a husband and a father: Donation Page: Toolfan Support Fund
DireWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #124
AngryScot
.
 
AngryScot's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: ☼ Ca ☼
Oddometer: 18,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
I dropped $100 at that place.

Jerk.















Can't wait to play with my pocket grappeling hook though.


I resisted on that one, but may end up ordering it anyway
Just tied my first monkey fist :ymca

it is all down hill from here

__________________
⊕R1200GS⊕ For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
⊕Zuma 125⊕For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
Save $5 on Smugmug "so9RUAXlMm0bE"
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #125
Brandon1
Dirt nap's are great!
 
Brandon1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Gods country Alabama
Oddometer: 726
Nice to know I am not the only one with a get home bag.

I have a magnesium fire starter with some trioxane fuel sticks to start a fire. Bottled water and water purification tablets. Extra clothes with shoes. Mre's . Some of those high intensity glow sticks for instant light. Map and compass. Large knife for hacking up sticks for firewood. 200 rounds of m2 ball-30-06 ammo and a M1 garand. Also have my ccw which is a glock 27 with 18 rounds of ammo. I think I even have a small fishing kit in there.

Edit: Also have some medical supply's as well as some face paint just in case.
__________________
Are you a rifleman or a cook?
Come find out at : http://www.appleseedinfo.org/


Brandon1 screwed with this post 03-27-2010 at 04:31 PM
Brandon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #126
Bake
adventurer
 
Bake's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 10,515
I've studied big mountain expeditions for years along with my Everest/K2 climbing history fetish. Reading through here, one thing I notice those para military looking Max bags is all the excess weight in tons of large straps and buckles. You don't need all that shit weighing you down when the same oz. could be used carrying something that helps.
The content studies and lists are great. I have a hook in me from Campmor and EagleCreek also. But if you want the get down on carrying...turn to big-mountain climbing. Every extra 6" of compression strap is wasted weight. An empty 4000 cu.in. pack shouldn't weigh more than 2.5 lbs.
Pack material description from Mountainsmith:"extra-strength Dimension Polyant (sailcloth technology) VX-21 and VX-42 materials. In comparison to 500d Cordura, this material has 1/3 the weight, 2 1/2 times the abrasion strength and superb water resistance."
Go extreme-carrying a toothbrush? cut the handle off halfway up the thing. Non-needed weight. 5 flashlights? please. Get 2 that work.
__________________


Bake screwed with this post 03-27-2010 at 10:07 PM
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #127
mutineer OP
Raoul Duke Lives
 
mutineer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Eastern Chaingolia
Oddometer: 18,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon1
Nice to know I am not the only one with a get home bag.

I have a magnesium fire starter with some trioxane fuel sticks to start a fire. Bottled water and water purification tablets. Extra clothes with shoes. Mre's . Some of those high intensity glow sticks for instant light. Map and compass. Large knife for hacking up sticks for firewood. 200 rounds of m2 ball-30-06 ammo and a M1 garand. Also have my ccw which is a glock 27 with 18 rounds of ammo. I think I even have a small fishing kit in there.

Edit: Also have some medical supply's as well as some face paint just in case.
I was being half facetious when I started the thread

I am one of those guys who has always carried shit like that around. Not in a tactical assault bag with a grappling hook and shit though

I went through a few survival schools a long time ago in the military and ever since I have kept a few things in my car.

every field school hammered into your head that if you have water, a decent knife and the ability to make fire you are gonna be uncomfortable but ok

rather than toss my old hiking or hunting boots when I get new ones the old ones go in the trunk of my car

In the winter I carry an old ski coat, a fleece and a paid of jeans in my car because I often wear suits for work and walking home in dress shoes and a suit in January would suck.

I have a couple of local maps, a compass, a decent knife, a mag block fire starter, a few bottles of water, some clif bars, a small 1st aid kit, flashlight and some other bullshit gadgets in a bag in my trunk

I have a ccw so other stuff is often in my car as well

It won't get me through an apocalypse but if a tornado or some shit takes out an overpass and I have to make the 20 mile walk home from my office a little bit of kit will a lot of difference

I just never thought of it as a "get home bag" until a while ago when I started reading online about this stuff

The whole bug out bag thing is fascinating to me

in other news

Indiana just passed some legislation that makes it illegal to seize privately owned firearms in a time of emergency like they did after Katrina
__________________
"Life is as good as you let it be" - Chain
"well . . . it ain't for everybody" - Goonie

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:11 PM   #128
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze
 
DireWolf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: In the Mustard Booyah. Whooop!!
Oddometer: 12,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake
I've studied big mountain expeditions for years along with my Everest/K2 climbing history fetish. Reading through here, one thing I notice those para military looking Max bags is all the excess weight in tons of large straps and buckles. You don't need all that shit weighing you down when the same oz. could be used carrying something that helps.
The content studies and lists are great. I have a hook in me from Campmor and EagleCreek also. But if you want the get down on carrying...turn to big-mountain climbing. Every extra 6" of compression strap is wasted weight. An empty 4000 cu.in. pack shouldn't weigh more than 2.5 lbs.
Pack material description from Mountainsmith:"extra-strength Dimension Polyant (sailcloth technology) VX-21 and VX-42 materials. In comparison to 500d Cordura, this material has 1/3 the weight, 2 1/2 times the abrasion strength and superb water resistance."
Go extreme-carrying a toothbrush? cut the handle off halfway up the thing. Non-needed weight. 5 flashlights? please. Get 2 that work.
How do you feel about face paint?

__________________
Please help Elias' (Toolfan's) young family - they lost a husband and a father: Donation Page: Toolfan Support Fund
DireWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #129
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 99,250
Without reading through all this, do you have an amateur radio license? It's good to have some frequency agility.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #130
Bongolia
stop acting
 
Bongolia's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: In transit
Oddometer: 16,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon1
Nice to know I am not the only one with a get home bag.

I have a magnesium fire starter with some trioxane fuel sticks to start a fire. Bottled water and water purification tablets. Extra clothes with shoes. Mre's . Some of those high intensity glow sticks for instant light. Map and compass. Large knife for hacking up sticks for firewood. 200 rounds of m2 ball-30-06 ammo and a M1 garand. Also have my ccw which is a glock 27 with 18 rounds of ammo. I think I even have a small fishing kit in there.

Edit: Also have some medical supply's as well as some face paint just in case.
Don't forget the grenades. And the hand held rocket launcher. How do you feel about Bows and Arrows?


In Saudi, when driving in the desert, I carry the following:

A collapsable trenching spade (useful if you shit yourself)

A Bedouin head-dress (very useful.. they are a big square of fabric. Blanket, sling, sunshade, carrybag, facemask when the desert storms kick up, filter etc.)

A fifteen liter water container

Two spare tyres

25 litre jerrycan

Compressor

Toolkit, tape, fix it stuff

Sand ladders

Lighters

A wide brimmed hat

Cash

A sense of humour
__________________
A Pariah on the farm
Bongolia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #131
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze
 
DireWolf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: In the Mustard Booyah. Whooop!!
Oddometer: 12,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gum on Shoe
A sense of humour
Is this where the face paint comes in?

__________________
Please help Elias' (Toolfan's) young family - they lost a husband and a father: Donation Page: Toolfan Support Fund
DireWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:48 PM   #132
Bake
adventurer
 
Bake's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 10,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
Is this where the face paint comes in?

but I do the scary clown face.
when you're 5'6" and dropping, everything helps

__________________

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:19 AM   #133
mutineer OP
Raoul Duke Lives
 
mutineer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Eastern Chaingolia
Oddometer: 18,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
Without reading through all this, do you have an amateur radio license? It's good to have some frequency agility.

I have a question about that

I know from fuck all about taht stuff and we have GMRS radios with weatherband. Make it exponentially easier to find one another and get WX updates. If you get one of those tricked out little hand held ham bands what do you get for your dollar

I would like a hand held scanner in the car in a big bag just to get an idea of what is going on as I walk home to catch my DVR's episodes of Caprica (how is that for an admission of deep seated dorkiness)
__________________
"Life is as good as you let it be" - Chain
"well . . . it ain't for everybody" - Goonie

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:19 AM   #134
KingRat
Stroppy.
 
KingRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: a citizen of the world
Oddometer: 25,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutineer
I was being half facetious when I started the thread

I am one of those guys who has always carried shit like that around. Not in a tactical assault bag with a grappling hook and shit though

I went through a few survival schools a long time ago in the military and ever since I have kept a few things in my car.

every field school hammered into your head that if you have water, a decent knife and the ability to make fire you are gonna be uncomfortable but ok

rather than toss my old hiking or hunting boots when I get new ones the old ones go in the trunk of my car

In the winter I carry an old ski coat, a fleece and a paid of jeans in my car because I often wear suits for work and walking home in dress shoes and a suit in January would suck.

I have a couple of local maps, a compass, a decent knife, a mag block fire starter, a few bottles of water, some clif bars, a small 1st aid kit, flashlight and some other bullshit gadgets in a bag in my trunk

I have a ccw so other stuff is often in my car as well

It won't get me through an apocalypse but if a tornado or some shit takes out an overpass and I have to make the 20 mile walk home from my office a little bit of kit will a lot of difference

I just never thought of it as a "get home bag" until a while ago when I started reading online about this stuff

The whole bug out bag thing is fascinating to me

in other news

Indiana just passed some legislation that makes it illegal to seize privately owned firearms in a time of emergency like they did after Katrina
You should add a nice warm furry hat for the winter.
__________________
.
.

"Discourage self-help, and loyal subjects become the slaves of ruffians." - A. V. Dicey
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer
"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They always run out of other people's money." - Margaret Thatcher
KingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:08 AM   #135
Bongolia
stop acting
 
Bongolia's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: In transit
Oddometer: 16,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
Is this where the face paint comes in?

People would tend to leave you alone done up like that, I guess
__________________
A Pariah on the farm
Bongolia is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014