User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Dune OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
1973 CB550 Restoration - Build Project

As some of you might have followed I was looking for a vintage bike to re-finish / restore / build / mod slightly.

WIth the help of everyones suggestions I came across a deal I just couldnt pass up!

- 2000 original miles!
- amazing shape! stored indoors for 30 years... hasnt ran in 30 years...
- came with everything included though I had a potential buyer for the panniers and windjammer and at the time didnt think of keeping them and they helped pat for the bike!
- now Im kind of wondering if I should have kept them... hmmm

Dune screwed with this post 03-21-2010 at 07:53 PM
Dune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
shovelmike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Cool

Unbelievably low mileage, the previous owner set the bike up for some long distance riding and somehow didn't put it to use, his loss your gain.
Due to motorcycle displacement wars those are looked upon as a small bike but are quite respectable in my book. I rode a 550 Yamaha Seca in '81 and although I ride Harleys today I don't need big displacement to have fun.
I just spent the last 2 weeks getting my '72 Kawasaki 100 dirt bike running and had a lot of fun playing on it. Best of luck with the restoration, it should be a fairly easy one. Sincerely: Shovelmike.
shovelmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Dune OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The move / take down

seeing as the bike hadnt been started in 30 years I couldnt exactly turn the key and drive it home , I started by manually turning over the engine, which turned over no problem! and then with the help of a usable battery try the starter... and it turns! now just a quick prelim check before I take clean everything up.

Now at the moment all I had was my golf or my wifes Jetta or on my KTM... all feasible choices to do the move of my new bike?
Being only 20mins from our house I made the call to strip the bike where I was purchasing it from! Being very thankfull to the current owner I striped the bike and took her to her new home a few pieces at a time!

SO here are a few more pics of the bike with everything together as she comes apart.

My thoughts were I had two options :
1)get it running and ride it as is seeing the low kms and the condition of the bike.

2) Strip everything and do a proprer build up anyway to ensure everything was functional as should be expected... which also helped get the bike home and can deliver the frame for painting in the meantime.

2138 ORIGINAL MILES!!

*Remember* Preserve Nature - Always wear a helmet -

Im not entirely sure what preserving nature has to do with wearing helmet... though I never go riding without one!

Gas tank blues

a lil more neked

What ya think!?

Next step??

Now I have stripped the frame and dropped it off for powder coating at a local paint shop I have worked with before...

So for the engine what do I do?? Do I take it apart?

with so few miles on the original engine I am thinking I can polish it up and paint it.... proper oil change, gasket replacement etc??

any thoughts??

more later...
Old 03-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
Renegade6
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Nice bike! My brother had a 76 (purple tank) and I used to ride it quite a bit. Make sure you have an impact driver to take off the engine screws; they strip pretty easily.

The only thing I remember going wrong with it was the shifter shaft seal and the Honda dealer swore that the brand of chain lube made a difference...

1993 BMW R100GS
Renegade6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,808
good score Dune. I hope the resto works out well for you.

I had a CB550F which served me very well... only regretting selling it and would happily find another some day.
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Ya know what?

I've been thinking... I had a BMW R-75 with a Windjammer and liked it a lot until the day that I took it off and realized how heavy and intrusive that dam fairing is.

You'll probably like riding that little bike best without it!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
What's wrong with the frame paint? I know it's the restore trick de-jour to powdercoat anything that wont melt in the oven, but if the frame paint isnt bad, it'll be alot easier, cheaper, faster, and more durable (paint you can repair, chipped powdercoat you can not) if you just touch up the bad spots and blend them in.

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:37 PM   #8
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,164
I think you're making a big mistake stripping the bike down to the frame when you have no idea if it will run. You're just asking for nightmare when you try and put it back together - it won't run and you'll have no idea whether it is one of a hundred things you might have screwed up when you took it apart or maybe it had something wrong with it to begin with - there may be a very good reason it was put away and sat for 30+ years.

I'd back up. FIRST THINGS FIRST - GET IT RUNNING. Then get it mechanically sound. Then go ride for awhile. Then and only then start deciding if you want to restore it or worry about cosmetics.

It's probable that you're an oil change, carb cleaning, fuel tank cleaning, ignition tune up, and brake rebuild away from having a nice motorcycle you can ride around. Or a holed piston. You won't know until you get it running.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #9
Jo-Nathan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Personally, I wouldn't have even stripped the bike, but you did. If I were you, I would just clean it up and get it running right. A 2000 mile bike (especially that one) just does not need a full restoration. Clean and maybe rebuild the carbs if they're real nasty. Check you valves and cam chain. Check your compression if you feel like it. Check to make sure your wiring isn't in terrible shape. Change your fork oil and replace the seals if needed. Lube the chain. You may want new tires if they're 30 years old. Change your engine oil and filter along with your air filter. Seriously, if you ask me, all that bike needs is a tune up and a rider. Oh, before you do anything, fill that tank with vinegar. When you finish everything else, empty the vinegar and take it to the carwash and pressure wash the insides. It'll be fine and the original paint will still be there.
Jo-Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:26 AM   #10
Quickv4
Pro Turd Polisher

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Nathan
Personally, I wouldn't have even stripped the bike, but you did. If I were you, I would just clean it up and get it running right. A 2000 mile bike (especially that one) just does not need a full restoration. Clean and maybe rebuild the carbs if they're real nasty. Check you valves and cam chain. Check your compression if you feel like it. Check to make sure your wiring isn't in terrible shape. Change your fork oil and replace the seals if needed. Lube the chain. You may want new tires if they're 30 years old. Change your engine oil and filter along with your air filter. Seriously, if you ask me, all that bike needs is a tune up and a rider. Oh, before you do anything, fill that tank with vinegar. When you finish everything else, empty the vinegar and take it to the carwash and pressure wash the insides. It'll be fine and the original paint will still be there.

You really didnt need to rip it apart, to repaint or powdercoat! Enjoy the patina it has....

You can restore a bike 10,000 times, but it is only original ONCE!

Clean it up, get it running, ride the tires off of it!!!

www.v4hondabbs.com
Quickv4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:55 AM   #11
Dune OP
Gnarly Adventurer

All Valid points, and I agree. Though the bike was in good shape, there was still some things that needed to be addressed - the frame paint was in some need of repair and everything had just sat for years... Also needed a way to get her home....

So shes apart now - frame is being painted, carbs being cleaned and rebuilt - which needed to be done, seals need to be replaced, even if I had left everything intact I think all this would have had to be done anyway... According to the original owner of the bike there was nothing wrong with it - I know its the age old story but I would be surprised to find a holed piston or something...

that being said, rubber is original and needs to be replaced, brakes have all been sitting and I would like to atleast clean everything up...

things need to be polished...

At this point do I go in for closer inspection on the engine? - in the meantime of course I will be doing compression tests on each cylinder to confirm there are no signs of piston wear etc....

Is there anything I should be doing to the gear box? via flushing the system? same with the cylinders?

Dune screwed with this post 03-22-2010 at 07:10 AM
Old 03-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #12
Jo-Nathan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune
Is there anything I should be doing to the gear box? via flushing the system? same with the cylinders?
Nah, check to make sure it still shifts through all the gears it's supposed to have (5 I believe) and that the clutch is adjusted right and doesn't slip and ride it. It shares oil with the engine so when you start the bike, keep and eye on the oil, change it after a couple of days and then just change it again when gets dirty like any other old bike. You might squirt a little bit of oil in the cylinders and turn the motor over a few times with the plugs out before firing it up, but that's it. As far as I can tell, there is absolutely no reason to tear that motor apart. I personally wouldn't even bother to replace the seals unless they leaked terribly.

P.S. I'm gonna be disappointed if you paint anything else and if you paint the tank/sidecovers, my disappointment may turn to anger
Jo-Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #13
Dune OP
Gnarly Adventurer

some of the side plastics needed some repair - and the tank did need some work so I may have it repainted the original color.....
Old 03-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #14
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 8,668
Wow, nice score!

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #15
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 1,977
You could trash a bike in 2000 miles. Look at any newer sportbike owned by a teenager. But man, I really doubt that would be the case here. I guess first and foremost, I'd ask why did someone spend a boatload of money decking this out as a tourer and then put only 2000 miles on it? Did you buy it from the original owner? Second, the Honda four is a pretty bulletroof engine. I wouldn't disassemble it. The head gasket probably doesen't leak and probably won't for a good long time. Why tempt fate with replacing it with one that may leak (ask me how I know)? At worst, rubber connections will be the issue here. Carbs to head, Fork dust seals. Anythng that ozone and light can degrade. Maybe pull the forks and wheel bearings and give them a good greasing. I know today, OEM's can be notriously stingy with grease. At leasy check. Shine a light in to the cylinders, look for scoring. Adjust the valves. Spray a little oil in the cylinders, run the starter and do a compression check. It won't be 100% accurate with a cold engine, but it will at least tell you if all of the cylinders are similar.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote