User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
Dracothius OP
Berserker

Oddometer: 229
Difference between bikes?

So, I am thinking about getting back into trials after having owned a Gas Gas 300 a few years ago. I want to get another 300 but can't find a comparison or review highlighting the difference between the different manufacturers. I had no problems with the Gas Gas so I'm leaning towards that. I like the Ossa ( its green) and hearing that Gas Gas and Ossa merged I'm thinking that there may be little difference between the bikes. I am open to the others (Sherco, Beta, etc.) but want to know what the differences are. If there is a thread or review pointing out the differences that you could point me to that would be great too. Thanks
Dracothius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
I'd buy whatever bike you get the best dealer support with.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
I'd buy whatever bike you get the best dealer support with.
+1 Where I can get support, local if possible, is a big positive mark from my side.

Even with that if used, condition is everything... Best of luck finding what your after.
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
Dracothius OP
Berserker

Oddometer: 229
I guess my next question is, are there any good dealers in middle or northeast Florida or southern Georgia.
Dracothius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,310
http://moto-trials.com/links/

Every manufacturer has a dealer list...don't expect them to be stocking dealers, however.

As far as the bikes, chase the one that speaks to you...that's the one you'll be happy with.

Chuckracer screwed with this post 07-31-2014 at 06:37 AM
Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 580
My biased opinion........

FWIW. I started with a 2002 Beta Rev-3 270 and loved it. After riding and competing for almost 2 years I got an offer on a 2010 Gasgas 300 race I could not pass up. The suspension and brakes were great.....but for me the power came on too strong, too fast. At idle I swear I could feel the bike wanting to jump forward with ever power stroke. Yes it was on the "soft" setting. So I ended up selling it and getting a new 2013 Beta Evo 300 and really love it. At my amateur/intermediate skill level I really want the power to come on nice and smooth off idle - where I ride 99% of the time. The GG just hit too hard at the low RPM's for me. I was told that Beta's can turn tighter than GG but I thought it was about the same. If you are going to compete, get a test ride and see how you like the bike at slow speeds. If you are just trail riding and playing it most likely will not make much difference. I started off just wanting to trail ride and have fun. Then I went to a trials with friends and kinda liked it. Now I ride my trials bike more that my dirt and street bikes and ride a trials every month.

My limited experience has been that trials bikes are very low maintenance. Just change the oil and clean the air filter and ride. So having a dealer close by is not such a big thing. Good luck.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,138
Gas Gas feels the most fun, but not as good in a real trials with an average rider.
Ossa feels great and tracks better than the Gasser.
Beta has smooth power and turns the best.
Sherco feels neutral. Does everything well. Has the best Importer.
Scorpa is more or less a Sherco copy.
Honda (Montesa 4RT) has just come back to the usa. Has limited bikes, and limited parts? Will be an interesting year for American Honda.
Just my two cents.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:36 AM   #8
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,310
Thanks for that. I'd love to ride a modern trials bike...or maybe I shouldn't.

Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 651
I agree, its really a personal choice and you'll know it when you feel it type of deal. I will say that for me, the clutch is a major factor in what I prefer to ride. I love the GG clutch. I would add that it has the best rear suspension of any bike ive ever ridden. (Reiger based bikes). That said, I think for most rookies/novices, the Beta is an easier bike to ride. I like Shercos because of RYP, but the ergonomics of the bike are not as comfortable for me a the gasser or beta. (Im 6' 2" -and feel cramped on the sherco) I thought the old scorpas (as chuck knows) were great novice bikes as well. You cant kill those old, Yamaha motors. Heavy, but for someone just starting out and doesn't want to wrench on bikes they can be a good choice. Haven't spent much time on the new ones. Im not into the 4t's so havent spent much time on them either. Just an occasional putt around. Very different! My buddy loves his Beta 4t, but he stalls the dang thing all the time. The clutch is pretty unforgiving on that thing. He insists its his fault! I tell him to sell that thing and get a Beta 200 if he wants smooth power.

The good news is there all really good bikes. Certainly the dogs were weeded out long ago.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:48 AM   #10
SammyD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I'm looking for a new trials bike too. Rather dismayed by the lack of 'shoot-out' comparisons (I come from moto).

Gas Gas appears to have a reputation more than the other brands for lower build quality. But you can get a new Econo model for five grand, which is tempting. Of course I can't find any reviews for it.

Four strokes - I love the 4T's but I'm putting close to 4 hours a week on my Techno which means a lot of maintenance and I'm only comfortable working on 2T's so that's going to have to be my choice. The '15 Montessa appears to be the same basic bike since '05?

For me I think it's going to be the Beta Evo 300.
SammyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:03 PM   #11
Mr. BigWheel
b00b

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyD View Post
I'm looking for a new trials bike too. Rather dismayed by the lack of 'shoot-out' comparisons (I come from moto).

Gas Gas appears to have a reputation more than the other brands for lower build quality. But you can get a new Econo model for five grand, which is tempting. Of course I can't find any reviews for it.

Four strokes - I love the 4T's but I'm putting close to 4 hours a week on my Techno which means a lot of maintenance and I'm only comfortable working on 2T's so that's going to have to be my choice. The '15 Montessa appears to be the same basic bike since '05?

For me I think it's going to be the Beta Evo 300.
I ran into the same problem when I was considering buying an Econo two seasons ago: there is not much good information about them. We bought two 280s from Lewisport and had them shipped up north. This was despite some disparaging things we found on the internet searches about the Ecos.

The following things have gone wrong with them while beating them to death on an endurocross track that is in my back yard:

- The front fender cracked while sliding backwards down a brushy hill

- One of the fork seals leaked, was replaced and is leaking again

- We've ripped the rear fenders off multiple times

- The hydraulic line to the rear brake line wore against the frame and required removal of the airbox, fender and exhaust for repair

- The lower shock mount and sprocket carrier bolts required tightening

- The wiring harness to the tail light got caught on a branch and has been removed on one of the bikes

- Half of the LEDs on one of the headlights have failed

- Uhhh, I'm running out of things - the grips got ripped after numerous crashes and are worn out

- The tires are worn out

My experience has been fairly positive. We don't really ride trials up here because there is no one else who does it, so I don't think that we could really notice the steel fork tubes or lower spec rear shock. As far as the bikes' reliability and durability, it is equatable to the other modern bikes that I have purchased new within the last ten years(all KTMs).

However, my brother owns a 2003 TXT 250 that has severe transmission troubles on every other ride. Maybe Gas Gas' quality control issues are a thing of the past? Either that, or I should sell soon....
Old 08-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #12
SammyD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Good info, thanks for sharing!
SammyD is offline   Reply With Quote