User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
configurationspace OP
delooper

Oddometer: 8,872
Trials bike for commuting to work

I want something close to a trials bike for commuting to work. My commute is about 6-8 miles at relatively low speeds (below 80km/h). I want something that's light, is awesomely suspended, has to have fun-levels of power, and should be happy jumping up and down from park benches. A near-conventional seat would be nice. It doesn't need any storage space, it'll be used for short rides only.

Is there something out there for me?
configurationspace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 1,000
Maybe something like... (If in US: assuming you can convert an off road only bike to street legal in your location) Outside US I wouldn't know...

Gas Gas Randonne:

OSSA Explorer:

Sherco x-ride:
Old 02-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #3
slicktop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by configurationspace View Post
I want something close to a trials bike for commuting to work. My commute is about 6-8 miles at relatively low speeds (below 80km/h). I want something that's light, is awesomely suspended, has to have fun-levels of power, and should be happy jumping up and down from park benches. A near-conventional seat would be nice. It doesn't need any storage space, it'll be used for short rides only.

Is there something out there for me?
Ossa Explorer.
Can change plastics and be a Ti. They are great that way but you got to pay to play.
slicktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:14 PM   #4
configurationspace OP
delooper

Thanks.

I found a Gas Gas importer within a few hours of my home. There appears to be only one Ossa importer in Canada, and they're way out east in Ontario.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:10 AM   #5
Kawazacky
Mad Typist

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Thanks.

I found a Gas Gas importer within a few hours of my home. There appears to be only one Ossa importer in Canada, and they're way out east in Ontario.
Have you considered Beta Alp 200? Not a true trials bike, but close/
Old 02-04-2015, 03:49 AM   #6
pistole
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
any KTM 250 two stroke dirtbike
pistole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:03 AM   #7
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistole View Post
any KTM 250 two stroke dirtbike
I have to agree. My old 250 exc was pretty fun for trials in around. I had down geared it substantialy, put a trials tire on, and found it good. With the low gearing it wound out around 50mph. About 220lbs, with nice long travel for big drops. Even better, their are many more ktm smokers than trials bikes in the world.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:05 AM   #8
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 6,404
That GG 4t has no power. KTM Freeride.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:29 AM   #9
wawarides
where's Laura0107?

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
...jumping up and down from park benches...

What a way to promote trials specifically and motorcycling in general as you commute to work.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #10
configurationspace OP
delooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawarides View Post

What a way to promote trials specifically and motorcycling in general as you commute to work.
I was thinking of asking about street-legal tanks but had a change of heart. Plus, artillery is either expensive or time-consuming to make.

The Gas Gas Randonne is currently not imported to Canada, so even if I had one I couldn't ride it on the road.

Maybe it'll be a KTM for me.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #11
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Which province are you in? Can you street legal plate bikes that are not on the Transport Canada approved bikes for street legal? Not in BC anyways.

If you can street legal plate any old bike, then there are some options:

- OSSA Explorer (as already said). There are dealers in most provinces. If you phone Carrier Centre (the distributor) they probably have a used one or new old stock. Shipping is not too expensive. I got mine from Calgary and it cost $100 to ship it. The OSSA explorer is 100% trials bike with a seat. 162lbs stock.

- Scorpa 125 long ride. Basically the same as the GasGas Randonee. I had one for a short period of time. Uses a Chinese TTR type motor, but not the same. So don't plan on a big bore kit. Rides like a trials bike. Light, cable clutch, enough guts to do stuff, but not like a two stroke 250 GG. 150-160lbs stock. You can gets these from your local scorpa/sherco dealer. Personally I would take the OSSA explorer any day.

- Beta trials bike of any kind with a long range seat tank. You get a real trials bike with a mediocre seat. Believe me the seat is a PIA after a little while of road riding.

- KTM Freeride 250R - $10k. Fun, light for an enduro. NOT a trials bike- no matter what anyone says. But more nimble and lighter and a full size enduro. 200lbs stock. Some KTM shops out east might still have one or two from the initial pre-order.

- KTM 200 - full size enduro. 220lbs stock. It is an enduro and not a trials bike. So jumping up on park benches will take a pit of practise.

Good luck. I have owned all of these bikes, except the 200. My goal was different. I wanted the ultimate single track machine. Itried all of the above and then some. I found it does not exists, so now I own a GG 250 Raga for trials competition and LDT, KTM freeride for woods racing and a KTM 350 excf for everything else.
2012 GasGas Raga
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:00 AM   #12
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,894
$10K for a Freeride? Or, is that $10K Canadian? Still......

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote