Nah 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #31
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmattaz
I was giggling, and hugging two grown men I barely know, hope they still want to ride with me.

brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:56 PM   #32
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,977
Bump for a great thread about trials technique and getting started.

Got any more words of wisdom Sting??
Old 11-19-2010, 07:02 AM   #33
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss
Bump for a great thread about trials technique and getting started.

Got any more words of wisdom Sting??
+1.

C'mon, Sting me bruddah. Help these Trials noobs get their feet wet!
Old 11-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #34
Sting32 OP
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,288
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus
+1.

C'mon, Sting me bruddah. Help these Trials noobs get their feet wet!
what would be needed to add? this thread died back in april/2010

Besides, I'm too busy watching nascar/pro wrestling...

Sting32 screwed with this post 11-19-2010 at 02:39 PM
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #35
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32

Oooh, I'll be right over!

Seriously, the info here is top-notch. NMTB and I decided (at the bar last night of course) to give this thread a bump for the noobs that want to try competing, and maybe have not seen this thread. You do a wonderful job of explaining Trials technique, and we thought some more teachings would be cool.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:58 AM   #36
xrmattaz
sputum is my bread/butter

Oddometer: 3,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus
Oooh, I'll be right over!

Seriously, the info here is top-notch. NMTB and I decided (at the bar last night of course) to give this thread a bump for the noobs that want to try competing, and maybe have not seen this thread. You do a wonderful job of explaining Trials technique, and we thought some more teachings would be cool.

Agreed, 100%.
'00 KLR (#6 since '88, keeping this one!)
'06 Road Glide
Coupla street legal quads, gotta love AZ!
'06 Gas Gas TXT300 Raga (gone...back surgeons fault)
Many many others since 1976, first 3 "cars" in my life were motorbikes.
xrmattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #37
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32
what would be needed to add? this thread died back in april/2010

What's your riding background that has made you so knowledgeable? Just wondering, its nice to know where people are coming from.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #38
grizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmattaz View Post
Now gathering up big hunks of firewood/pallets and stuff to build obstacles....all your fault.

I hate you guys.

FIRSTLY : Thanks to Sting and the others for adding to this thread.

It is great to have you guys who know your way around seducing and guiding us to join the dark side.

I started a similar thread recently, as I have ridden for 34 years since age 14, I only got onto a trials bike about 3 weeks ago for the first time, just messing about in front of Jon "Lebowski" 's garage.
I am hooked, but have a few obstacles to clear first, like getting a new job (have a telephone screening interview tomorrow morning) Then I have to get rid of some junk, and at least one bike from my garage, and get Nicola to agree to me getting a trials bike. I also have to keep at the BSA dismantling and resto, which is currently awaiting my return, and for some of the engine bits to let go of their corrosion.

I have a small section of concrete in front of my garage, and then two strips of concrete up to the house (Would not want to or dare go on the grass.
The plan is to build a few small obstacles and place to practice figure 8's and standing still for an extended period, throttle/brake/clutch control and also putting the front wheel where I want it.

Not a tall order, but deffo a must do before I try clubmans, beginner or even novice rides with other guys.

Xrmattaz........ I also have some junk, and will be looking for some more bits, including a couple of "discarded" traffic cones, fortunately I can get hold of more railway ties/sleepers to create a couple of obstacles, and have a decent pallet which I use to cut timber on with the chainsaw.

Oh, and I need to lose quite a lot of weight and get fit, both physically and mentally.

Back yard.

Firewood now gone and packed to dry for next winter.

***** 2006 Sachs MADASS 50cc *****

***** 19?? BSA Bantam D7 FREE Bike Resto *****

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem"
grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #39
Sting32 OP
Trials Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz View Post
FIRSTLY : Thanks to Sting and the others for adding to this thread.

It is great to have you guys who know your way around seducing and guiding us to join the dark side.

I started a similar thread recently, as I have ridden for 34 years since age 14, I only got onto a trials bike about 3 weeks ago for the first time, just messing about in front of Jon "Lebowski" 's garage.
I am hooked, but have a few obstacles to clear first, like getting a new job (have a telephone screening interview tomorrow morning) Then I have to get rid of some junk, and at least one bike from my garage, and get Nicola to agree to me getting a trials bike. I also have to keep at the BSA dismantling and resto, which is currently awaiting my return, and for some of the engine bits to let go of their corrosion.

I have a small section of concrete in front of my garage, and then two strips of concrete up to the house (Would not want to or dare go on the grass.
The plan is to build a few small obstacles and place to practice figure 8's and standing still for an extended period, throttle/brake/clutch control and also putting the front wheel where I want it.

Not a tall order, but deffo a must do before I try clubmans, beginner or even novice rides with other guys.

Xrmattaz........ I also have some junk, and will be looking for some more bits, including a couple of "discarded" traffic cones, fortunately I can get hold of more railway ties/sleepers to create a couple of obstacles, and have a decent pallet which I use to cut timber on with the chainsaw.

Oh, and I need to lose quite a lot of weight and get fit, both physically and mentally.

Back yard.

Firewood now gone and packed to dry for next winter.
DO NOT try to jump up classes, you will start in Novice, maybe beginner if they have them.

Reason being is, trials is unlike some sports, but you acrue certain skills in novice, before you (usually) start winning in that class. when you win the class for that year, most clubs track this, and feel confident to learn more skills, then you move up.

I can't say how many times I've watched people try to leap frog through the ranks. then get discouraged & quit becuase pride wont let them go back and become well versed in the skillset. By design, You're tested once a month, per club in the USA. If you feel urgency to be challenged, my only suggestion that works is, drive to other clubs, so you get more "competition time". And you damn well better be riding more than 10 hours a week, hopefully with someone better than yourself to stop you from practicing bad habits.

Yes, even Clubman/intermediate levels LOOOK easy/boring on youtube, For example this is me at oklahoma's sooner cup, http://www.youtube.com/user/Trialsgi...30/ODiO8TtMSw8
After watching Toni Bou's vids, this looks like a cake walk, but for us mere mortals, there is so much more to it. Nuances, that is the gift of trials, you practice all week, then goto a trials and you feel like you never rode a bike before, at least that "sunday". I can't count on fingers and toes how many times I can ride awesome stuff around the farm practiceing, then lose points in a trial, on stupid basic crap. In the video above, Yes the section as ridden was pretty easy, 90 people would clean it all day long, until you put up ribbons and have someone "Observing/scoring" then only 10 of those 90 people clean it. Just for fun, here is my Buddy Kenny, who rides intermediat pretty well now at the sooner cup as well.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Trialsgi...31/EiVOUPvnlC8

The gal that captured and uploaded those vids to youtube is really fun, and has bikes forsale BTW.

Anyway, I guarantee you will be over-challeneged if you start out "thinking" Ill try class x instead of the "starting" class, which is novice or beginner classes. Closest thing I can think of at the moment, is greenbelt doesnt want to take on blackbelts, if you know what I mean there.

And welcome, as Brew says, to the dark side.

Sting32 screwed with this post 02-28-2011 at 11:16 AM
Old 02-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #40
grizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Sting, if I could be even half as good as the "worst" it would still be better than I am today.

I guess like you say, listen, learn from others and follow advice.

Something a 6 year old can often do better than us grown ups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR7nF...ist=QL&index=1

I suspect this kid will continue riding for some time.

***** 2006 Sachs MADASS 50cc *****

***** 19?? BSA Bantam D7 FREE Bike Resto *****

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem"
grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #41
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Oddometer: 669
Beta Trials Bike for Easier Kickstarting

Hi,

My partner and I just got our first trials bike this year, a 2007 Beta Rev-3 270.

Although I can start it on a curb in the driveway every now and then, I had an impossible time time trying to start it at our buddy Boom-Boom's property this past weekend.

My partner, who is 6-ft, 4-in, also had some difficulty (we usually ride e-start, 4-T trail bikes). I'm 5-ft, 3-in w/29-inseam at 133lbs.

I was able to kick Boom-Boom's new Beta evo 290 okay in the woods; not as easy as some other trials bikes I have tried, but easier than the 270.

If I decide to try another used Beta for easier starting, should I be focusing on the compression ratio figures?

I see, for example, in the new Evo 2-stroke lineup:

290 ratio is 9.5:1,
250 ratio is 8.9:1, and
200 2T is 11.8:1.

For reference, our Rev-3 270 is 10.8:1.

Is the 250 the easiest bike to kick-start?

Any suggestions on an easier-starting Beta model?

Thanks,
Janet
BTW, we will be practicing our kickstart technique this weekend on the 270.
Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #42
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet from Joisey View Post
If I decide to try another used Beta for easier starting, should I be focusing on the compression ratio figures?
No, you need to try them out and see what works for you. 2 stroke Trials bikes are hard to kick because of their low exhaust ports. Compression ratio doesn't tell the story. A heavier weight flywheel might make it start easier for you, as might retarding the ignition a bit.
You might try a 4 stroke.
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #43
Sting32 OP
Trials Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
No, you need to try them out and see what works for you. 2 stroke Trials bikes are hard to kick because of their low exhaust ports. Compression ratio doesn't tell the story. A heavier weight flywheel might make it start easier for you, as might retarding the ignition a bit.
You might try a 4 stroke.
I just have to add:

used bike, I dont know jack about beta, but these things are kind of universal...

Possible reasons it is hard to kick:

Carb not setup right, carbon buildup on piston and or head, general maintenence/upkeep, user modifications, and wear.

Then there are things like design changes, from CC or model, to bike of same year, and different years.

Best bet it to try other bikes. I know Tifferes who is a local club member friend of mine, rides a 11? 200 beta, she is petite, I dont believe I ever thought she struggled with kicking the 200, maybe she'll chime in. I know she had a 125 sherco before this, and could tell you how different it might be.

lower CC size would probably be better for you anyway Janet?
Old 03-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #44
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Oddometer: 669
Thanks, Guys.

We will have to schedule a day with one of the dealers in our area to test out his used bikes and get an opinion on the 270.

When we took classes at TTC in Chattanooga back in 2000 and 2003, kickstarting was not an issue with their gas-gas bikes.

So, when we testrode the 270 beta, I didn't give the kickstart much thought.

We were hoping to share the 270 for x-training purposes in our micro yard. For that purpose, I'm sure we can get by with less displacement.
Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #45
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 608
I just got a 2002 Beta 270 and it starts first or second kick. One person I ride with has a Gasgas and it is a PITA to start. Try a new spark plug and I bet it is just a matter of "learning" how your bike will start. Choke/no choke, throttle closed or cracked, etc. Good luck.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote