Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #181
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Nice ride 2nd day Brewtus. Fortunately I will not ride sportsman at Sipapu. A little too hard on the ole` bike. Nice pics Gordy thanks! Might ride Int and ? non -comp just for grins depending on what bikes I have! I had lots of fun riding with Garrett. He had me by a point after two loops!!

Thanks. I had to make up for my piss-poor showing on Saturday.

I sorta figured that Sipapu would be a bit much for the ol' Cota in Sportsman. Hopefully I'll have OJ's pegs relocated by then so I can stay within 50 points of you or so.

Garrett rode very well. Yer boy is definitely growing up!
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #182
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
The cam gear I bought took a whopping 45 minutes to install and (as previously stated) cost a mere $19 delivered to the house. I'll take that over guessing on which garbage Chinese CDI to try and make work, and hold out hope that it's dubious quality makes it last for more than a year. And no I did not run it on no fuckin' dyno afterward. I went out and won a Trial with it.

If you have the time to screw around with adapting garbage Chinese electrics to reliable Honda motorcycles and dyno them afterward, that's wonderful. I wish I had that kind of time. Mayhaps starting you own thread (with pictures!) on these mods would be a good idea.

Chinese CDI units always work very reliably, and pretty much any of the 5 pin AC pit bike ones will work perfectly on the TLR. Short run on a dyno confirmed that low rpm power was increased a little, and eliminating the rev limiter incorporated into the OE Honda CDI, gave a good increase at higher rpm, after air box had been de-restricted.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #183
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Chinese CDI units always work very reliably,NOT!
After riding the reflex in several events, jetting and `fixing` the air box,better pegs and looking at what `it` could become, it still is a piece of crap. Reworking the frame would make an awesome difference in handling.(for anyone wanting a good tlr this is a needed mod) But in the end this is too top heavy and under powered.
Just comepleted a two day event riding our sportsman line. What a fun time, glad I was on the little cota 200. What a great little bike, funny thing is it sat in my garage for eight years unridden due to not being AHRMA legal! Time to get rid of the reflex and put some real brakes on the Montesa!!
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #184
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
After riding the reflex in several events, jetting and `fixing` the air box,better pegs and looking at what `it` could become, it still is a piece of crap. Reworking the frame would make an awesome difference in handling.(for anyone wanting a good tlr this is a needed mod) But in the end this is too top heavy and under powered.
Just comepleted a two day event riding our sportsman line. What a fun time, glad I was on the little cota 200. What a great little bike, funny thing is it sat in my garage for eight years unridden due to not being AHRMA legal! Time to get rid of the reflex and put some real brakes on the Montesa!!
If you are not interested in modifying the TLR to make it into a fun and competitive TS trials bike, I would completely agree it is pretty poor.

For anyone not happy with the stock bike, I would suggest having a good look at the "Trials Central" Honda forum, where there are some very useful ideas to help with improving handling and getting more power.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #185
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Hmmm....

Looks like I'm fairly committed at this point -

Yup, finally dropping the peg mounts an inch. I have a mere 2 weeks before the next event to get it done.

Hey if OJ is not together by then, there is always the Team TY...

Garthe, you just shut your porky mouth about the mods. I told you this might happen!
Old 05-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #186
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Look how skinny that pig would be without pegs! Just stand on the seat. Would never dab cuz it will be wayyyyy to far to bother. (ps I sold mine last week! POS! )
VIVA MONTESA!!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 04:00 AM   #187
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

It takes around an hour to alter the rest mounts on a TLR...........there have been several how to do threads on this job on the Trials Central forum.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #188
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Getting there....

I had the guys in the fab shop at work cut out some frame extensions with the plasma cutter. Much nicer than I could have done with the torch. A bit of grinding and it's almost there -

Locate crudely, and weld -

I got so busy fabbing, I did not stop for many pics. Welder crackling, 94 Rock blaring out of the garage, cold Tecate in hand (yes, while welding ), I was in the zone. Welded up the peg bracket, slathered on some Mopar Hemi Orange paint to hide my sins (I'm not the caliber of welder that Grizzzly and Gordy are ), and we have a....left footpeg mount!

I tried to capture the height difference in this shot. I guess I'm not the photographer that NMTrailboss is either...

The peg is much more inline with the rear axle centerline. It should make a big difference in handling -

Just a (as much as OJ gets) beauty shot. Mayhaps its time to replace the seat tape. -

I'll tackle the right peg this weekend. Pics (maybe) to follow.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #189
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,723
Old 05-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #190
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 381
How many Tecate's?
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #191
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvadney View Post
How many Tecate's?

Uh, let's see. Grind and weld one extension on both sides, locate and weld one peg mount, not scuff or clean the area before paint....... 72.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #192
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
Uh, let's see. Grind and weld one extension on both sides, locate and weld one peg mount, not scuff or clean the area before paint....... 72.
One expensive peg mount.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #193
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Yo remove the engine first> You would not have to stoop so much= more tecate`s. Rookies.
Ps. Ya I worked on my `87 today also. D_ _ __e van! Montesa`s do not need any mod`S.

lineaway screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 08:59 PM
Old 05-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #194
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,723
Quote:
Montesa`s do not need any mod`s.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #195
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Yo remove the engine first> You would not have to stoop so much= more tecate`s. Rookies.
Ps. Ya I worked on my `87 today also. D_ _ __e van! Montesa`s do not need any mod`S.

Yeah, way too lazy to pull the engine. And I'm well aware that Montesas don't need mods. I have 3 of 'em that work just fine the way they are.

And did you mean to say DODGE van??