Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #226
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
You'll want to start with the carb from a chinese pit bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenm View Post
Come on, guys...

If you're gonna give a single line of unwanted advice, first you gotta quote Brewtus's entire f'ing post.

Jeez...
n00bs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Seems weird that advice on modifications which work a whole lot better than those pictured on this tread, and are easier and less costly to do is unwelcome?
I do believe..

brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #227
Miss Bitters
You have head pigeon.

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Seems weird that advice on modifications which work a whole lot better than those pictured on this tread, and are easier and less costly to do is unwelcome?
I do believe that the original point of this tread was spending a little bit of money on a very inexpensive Reflex and exchange ideas and show those cheap mods to make a project that was actually going to be used. I take great personal pride in the fact that I won a state championship the year before last on our less-than-$400 OJ. Your suggested modifications might be amazing, cheaper and the best thing since boob jobs and free drinks. So it seems that you could stop a lot of the backlash you are feeling by POSTING PICTURES OF YOUR SUPPOSED EASIER AND LESS COSTLY MODIFICATIONS.
And now a bedtime story...
Many, many years ago I worked in a shop where there was a rangy, alley cat that would hang around and be a nuisance. Let's call him "Two-Spring-Rear-Support". That feline would yowl, hiss and meow at everyone, especially those who paid the slightest attention to him. This was annoying enough, but the lovely fellow had yet another terrible habit of marking his territory. The awful, smelly fleabag truly believed (and acted on the belief) that EVERYWHERE and EVERYTHING was his to spray and crap upon. We were all very tired of this four-legged crap bag. We tried everything. We fed him the finest cat food and cat treats. Rubber mice were bought. We talked kindly and gently in his presence. We placed a trail of sardines to the nearest similar shop. Let's call it Trials Central on the Honda forum. This was all in vain. I know what your thinking, " You should have just dismantled a Chinese pit bike, used a CDI, threw it on the dyno and we could have changed that fricking annoying cat into one fine dog. It would have been cheaper than those rubber mice. We could have gone to the Westminster Kennel Club with that modified cat. " We didn't. In the end, we ran over that cat with the forklift.
Miss Bitters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #228
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,954

Old 06-15-2012, 05:25 AM   #229
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,425
Being this thread was started talking about cheap assed Honda`s some how turned into Yamaha Bashing.http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwCQ&dur=315
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #230
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Bitters View Post
I " We didn't. In the end, we ran over that cat with the forklift.

Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #231
TXNMGUY
dirt dobber

Oddometer: 99
To damn funny.........I am still waiting on the photo.
TXNMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #232
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,172
I've had this picture of Miss Bitters driving a forklift stuck in my head all day.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #233
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,425
I see her in the gyro with another case of Tecate hitting as many cat`s on the way home she possibly can. Damn forklift is way too slow!
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #234
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Bitters View Post
I do believe that the original point of this tread was spending a little bit of money on a very inexpensive Reflex and exchange ideas and show those cheap mods to make a project that was actually going to be used. I take great personal pride in the fact that I won a state championship the year before last on our less-than-$400 OJ. Your suggested modifications might be amazing, cheaper and the best thing since boob jobs and free drinks. So it seems that you could stop a lot of the backlash you are feeling by POSTING PICTURES OF YOUR SUPPOSED EASIER AND LESS COSTLY MODIFICATIONS.
And now a bedtime story...
Many, many years ago I worked in a shop where there was a rangy, alley cat that would hang around and be a nuisance. Let's call him "Two-Spring-Rear-Support". That feline would yowl, hiss and meow at everyone, especially those who paid the slightest attention to him. This was annoying enough, but the lovely fellow had yet another terrible habit of marking his territory. The awful, smelly fleabag truly believed (and acted on the belief) that EVERYWHERE and EVERYTHING was his to spray and crap upon. We were all very tired of this four-legged crap bag. We tried everything. We fed him the finest cat food and cat treats. Rubber mice were bought. We talked kindly and gently in his presence. We placed a trail of sardines to the nearest similar shop. Let's call it Trials Central on the Honda forum. This was all in vain. I know what your thinking, " You should have just dismantled a Chinese pit bike, used a CDI, threw it on the dyno and we could have changed that fricking annoying cat into one fine dog. It would have been cheaper than those rubber mice. We could have gone to the Westminster Kennel Club with that modified cat. " We didn't. In the end, we ran over that cat with the forklift.

Seems a shame you didnt get any help form TC forum members (some of whom are experts on Honda), but you will generally find that those who already seem to know all the answers, very rarely get help from those who fully understand the question.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #235
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Alright, back to it.

Again.

As posted before, I noticed some cracks in the frame of 'ol OJ. Scuffed 'em, and stop-drilled 'em -

Also noted that the cracks in the front engine mount plate were growing. Did the same -

I did not however, grind out the cracks and weld them up today. I left them drilled, and pondered about the forces coming up through the subframe cheaply stitched to the upper spar. The gennie RTL and mega-cool Whitlock frames are much better supported in this area. Since I don't own an RTL and could not afford a nifty Whitlock frame in my wildest dreams, I decided to make a Redneck Approved support bracket to help transfer some of the load.

First off, some old wire tabs (long since broken) had to go -

Next up, making a template from my favorite material -

Holes, cut, trim, drink, repeat-

This pig weighs enough already, so I thought a nice weight-conscience hole in the bracket would be cool. I really wanted to punch-flange the hole, but I have no such tooling. A crude Matco hole saw sufficed for all round cuts -

Once it fit (as well as I cared anyway), I drug out the 'ol Millermatic 185 and stitched it up -

Some Mopar Hemi Orange paint to hide my poor welding -

And reassemble. It's not perfect nor straight (but neither is OJ), but it should help spread at least some of the load coming up from the subframe. It can be much better, and may well be upgraded if I ever do decided to hootch up 'ol OJ. After all, I sure like the way those Rothmans RTL's looked back in the day -

Dream, dream.

Anyhoo, I bolted OJ back together and did a shorty testride. I could tell absolutely no difference (I really did not think I would) but did it anyway. I loaded it up in the Abductor along with my XR100R to go to a local Flattrack race tonight -

I have not been to a Flattrack since last year when my good friend Vern Johnson was tragically killed in a Flattrack race in Kansas last August, and The Group went to his memorial race last fall.

I miss you my friend...

More to come. The XR100 sounds really cool with it's unrestricted airbox, jetting, K&N, and Supertrapp. OJ already has 3 of those mods......

brewtus screwed with this post 06-16-2012 at 11:39 PM Reason: Really cool very well?? I should not drink and post....
Old 06-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #236
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,954
Can I put your 4RT in the flea market?
Old 06-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #237
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
Can I put your 4RT in the flea market?

Old 06-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #238
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Very nice done and certainly an upgrade for the stability of the frame.

The Japanese guys needed a long time to catch up with proper frame welding. Also there antiquarianism with welded
on cable mounts and wire tabs is contrary with good frame setup, a real piece of steel as shown here in addition lightened is a real improvement.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #239
Miss Bitters
You have head pigeon.

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Seems a shame you didnt get any help form TC forum members (some of whom are experts on Honda), but you will generally find that those who already seem to know all the answers, very rarely get help from those who fully understand the question.
Kwai Chang Caine step away from the hookah.
Miss Bitters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #240
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,344
I love you,,,