Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 03:11 AM   #286
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Parts for Montesa can still be found, but some are likely to be difficult/impossible, so if you intend to use bike in competition, it might be a better idea to look at something where parts are more easily available?
I have found a sorce of piston & rod kits for the cota 348 in France..
not cheap..but at least you can still get them..
Sammy Miller has rod kits...
Gasket sets & clutch plate sets on E-bay...
Old 06-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #287
woolsac
Git some

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
I got around to installing a #40 pilot jet

I bought a #100 main for it,
Where do you find these jets that fit the OE carb?

Thanks!
'73 Honda CL350 Scrambler
woolsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #288
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,778
Quote:
Bike pictured is a TLR250
That would explain the trick bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolsac View Post
Where do you find these jets that fit the OE carb?

Thanks!
From my local Honda dealer. They had the parts in 3 days.

From Taxonomy's Reflex carb fix thread -

99124-076-0400 #40 slow jet. This is the most important and hard to find part. It's some odd Keihin slow jet that isn't commonly stocked. Since it's a very important jet at small throttle openings it's very important for a trials bike. I think this part is actually for a CB400F but it works in the strange PO Keihin carb that comes stock on the TLR. I am not arguing.

99101-GHB-1000 #100 Main Jet. I know that most posts list the 105 main jet, but I used a 100 and like it. Also, the main really only comes into full play with the throttle wide open. So, for this bike it doesn't matter too much and it works great in my application.

16012-KJ2-305 which may have been replaced by 16012-KJ2-672 mine came from my local dealer who ordered it as part 16012-KJ2-305 and that what it says on the package but I couldn't find a reference for it on the web. The kit contains a new needle jet and air screw and also a cap for the air screw that will let you manipulate it even though it's behind a frame tube. It was issued by Honda when it became apparent that the stock carb was hopelessly lean.

brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #289
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,297
I think I used a 98 main( we ride around 6000Ft) and being a cheap lazy trials guy I just drilled out the pilot.(helps to have a set of orafix bits) But you had to remove the crap inlet on the air box to get results!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #290
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
The gauze flame trap inside the Honda air box is the main restriction, removing the intake silencer part doesnt make anywhere near as much difference to the power. The 26mm Mikuni pit bike carbs often advertised on Ebay, fit the TLR perfectly, provide much better running, and in conjunction with removal of the flame trap, as well as a free flow exhaust, give more power at all engine speeds, making the bikes much more competitive and nicer to ride.

Altering the std jetting on US smog bikes, does make them run lots better, but in most cases after any amount of use the carb body itself is always worn to some extent, so unless there is a need to keep things 100% original a replacement carb is always the best way to go here. For anyone not able to jet a new carb to suit their own bike perfectly, these are available set up 100% perfectly from UK Honda experts "Shedworks"
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:15 AM   #291
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
The gauze flame trap inside the Honda air box is the main restriction, removing the intake silencer part doesnt make anywhere near as much difference to the power.

Mine's gone, replaced by a K&N air filter. They don't list a part number for the Reflex anymore, but one for an XR100R fits nicely. I had to bend the metal retaining bail slightly to keep the K&N tight against the air inlet tube inside the airbox, but that was the only mod necessary. It's worked great for years. I serviced the K&N day I jetted the carb and removed the airbox restriction, and not a speck of dirt was found in the carb inlet tube.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #292
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Good idea to replace stock filter and gauze, but worth having a read of this regards choice of filter element: http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevrol...r-testing.html
Old 06-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #293
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Good idea to replace stock filter and gauze, but worth having a read of this regards choice of filter element: http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevrol...r-testing.html
Hmmm, yeah. I checked, and AC Delco, Wix, and Purolator do not make air filters for TL200's. I'll keep my K&N, thanks.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #294
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

The point was KN simply dont work that well at stopping dirt getting into motors! Oiled foam works much better for all off-road applications, but TLR air boxes need to be modified to get non standard filters to fit.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #295
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Are you trying to say that the nurse who invented K&N filters was no brain surgeon?
Old 06-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #296
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The trouble with theses independant tests is they are from some good ole boys that are are a little off on what purpose a product has.
The K&n filter in this test is not a performance upgrade. It`s purpose is to be the last filter you ever buy for that vehicle.
I`d like to see the same guys test performance air intake systems. How many of those do Puralator and AC delco make?
Old 06-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #297
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

If motors make more power when they are worn out due to air cleaners which dont work, then maybe thats why KN claim these things increase performance?

Other than silly advertising blurb from KN themselves, there is nothing whatsoever to support any of their claims, and there also seem to be numerous posts on here supporting the fact that KN dont work that great.

Seems to me that a good air cleaner is crucially important on any off road bike, and the fact that not a single manufacturer of these bikes uses KN type filters, might be worth considering?
Old 06-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #298
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

First off nobody can make a product cheaper than a piece of foam glued together. Every piece on your bike has been scutinized by the bean counters. That is why we do not see let`s say three layers of filter to truly capture all paticles.
And yes not all apllications will have a performance increase. You are the one to bring up car filters on a motorcycle forum. And again the K&n will out last the foam air filter in a life span. A K& N with a foam out side ring is actually the best for severe applications.
My first application of a pleated gauze filter was on my JT1 yamaha. Must have improved power by 30% or more over the stock filter system. I rode that bike for years and years, passed it down thru the family and never touched the engine. (By the way we always seem to ride in severe dust compared to most places) That filter was made by the original mechanic that made the pleating machine who coinvented that type of filter.
So yes the K&n was invented by a male nurse in Albuquerque,New Mexico. The pleating machine was made by a local mechanic. The filters were made and sold at Bobby j`s Yamaha until the design was sold.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #299
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

If the KN filter actually does increase power by 30%, it seems astonishing that this type of filter has never been fitted as OE by any manufacturer, who I guess would be very interested in boosting power so easily?

As to the KN being the best choice for severe situations, and taking into the account the 30% power gain, its surprising they arent used by any of the WRC teams, and also seem thin on the ground in competition such as the Paris-Dakar race?
Old 06-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #300
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

I assume english might be a second language as I never said K&n filters give a 30% increase in power. A restricted intake on any vehicle coming from the factory designed that way for emissions, power output or any other goverment imposed reasons( tax, fuel,etc) would greatly benefit from a better flowing air box. Just like a reflex! Now why do you suppose a giant company like Honda do such an assinine thing? So after market products like K&N do sell to a market with a certain demand .
We all know by now you do not like K&N. I`m confused why not use the air box off the pit bike! I`m really confused why a sherco filter. the beta techno fits better and it`s lid is more water proof!
Once upon a time I read a story from a quiet little teacher,

Many, many years ago I worked in a shop where there was a rangy, alley cat that would hang around and be a nuisance. Let's call him "Two-Spring-Rear-Support". That feline would yowl, hiss and meow at everyone, especially those who paid the slightest attention to him. This was annoying enough, but the lovely fellow had yet another terrible habit of marking his territory. The awful, smelly fleabag truly believed (and acted on the belief) that EVERYWHERE and EVERYTHING was his to spray and crap upon. We were all very tired of this four-legged crap bag. We tried everything. We fed him the finest cat food and cat treats. Rubber mice were bought. We talked kindly and gently in his presence. We placed a trail of sardines to the nearest similar shop. Let's call it Trials Central on the Honda forum. This was all in vain. I know what your thinking, " You should have just dismantled a Chinese pit bike, used a CDI, threw it on the dyno and we could have changed that fricking annoying cat into one fine dog. It would have been cheaper than those rubber mice. We could have gone to the Westminster Kennel Club with that modified cat. " We didn't. In the end, we ran over that cat with the forklift