lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:34 AM   #303
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
"Must have improved power by 30% or more over the stock filter system" I think BS sounds the same in any language dont you?

I would guess the main reason why Honda restricted the TLR air boxes by fitting the flame trap, was to stop those using the bikes for trail or road riding, from blowing motors when ridden flat out for extended periods of time. Removing the flame trap, and carrying out a few simple and inexpensive mods to the intake and exhaust system, transforms the TLR, and cost is less than a pair of tyres.

Myths about KN filters seem to have arisen along the same lines as the nonsense about 2T oils, which means many trials riders are using scooter oils intended for autolube systems, at mix ratios which are very likely to cause motors to wear out quicker, as well as running the risk of corrosion damage.
The scooter oils are commonly thinned using around 20% kerosene, yet are marketed by greedy oil manufacturers as being fully "synthetic".

This saves money in that many accept the fact that its ok to run scooter oil at ratios such as 80 or even 100:1, in their trials bikes, and means there is no need for the manufacturer to provide a proper fully synthetic pre-mix only 2T oil (which is fine to use at 80-100:1 mix ratios).

It obviously costs more to produce a fully synthetic pre-mix only product, but as customers seem happy to believe ridiculous oil company advertising blurb, they end up paying the same price for a scooter oil, as they would a proper pre-mix product from a reputable manufacturer..............................

Seems pretty much the same situation with KN filters, with the only difference here being that customers choose to believe KN advertising blurb, rather than proper independent testing carried out to ISO standards using the correct industry standard test methods.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #304
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

And all this coming from a sane man pushing the benefits of chinese pit bikes as high performance up grades?!?

PS As far as oils, I have never seen a trials rider on this side of the pond using scooter oil. Must be that china performance connection ISO 00000000000.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #305
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,859
I'm sorry I said anything.

My apologies, everyone.
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #306
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
And all this coming from a sane man pushing the benefits of chinese pit bikes as high performance up grades?!?

PS As far as oils, I have never seen a trials rider on this side of the pond using scooter oil. Must be that china performance connection ISO 00000000000.

The Chinese pit bike CDI units provide a stronger spark as well as more advance at lower engine speeds, and this in combination with inexpensive changes to the intake and exhaust systems, provides much improved performance (15 CDI also means no need for messing around changing cam timing).

As to scooter oils, I wonder how many riders are using a "fully synthetic" oil which doesnt have PRE-MIX USE ONLY marked very clearly on the container?

Anything which isnt marked in this way will very likely be a JASO approved low smoke product, which is designed primarily for use in scooter autolube systems, although its perfectly ok for trials bikes as long as 50:1 ratios are being used.

Seems strange that anyone riding a 2T trials bike would want to risk engine damage, by using an oil thats simply not suitable for using at anything over 50:1 mix ratio? Not to worry though, I guess dealers are happy to take the money for replacement main bearings, big ends, pistons, cylinders, etc..............
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #307
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Well...in light of the opinion that I've done nothing right on OJ so far, I still had...Fun... on it today -

Old 06-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #308
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Nice ride! Looks like you cleared it easily, which is not easy on a reflex. Lazy me finally pulled the topend off the cota. Sure enough about 8 shiny dings in the head and piston. Will try to split it this week. Either mains or rod. I did remove everything else before the top end, knowing it was not gonna be easy.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #309
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Nice ride! Looks like you cleared it easily, which is not easy on a reflex

Hey, thanks!

Quote:
Lazy me finally pulled the topend off the cota. Sure enough about 8 shiny dings in the head and piston. Will try to split it this week. Either mains or rod. I did remove everything else before the top end, knowing it was not gonna be easy.

Ouch! Luck on that. You are missed in NMTA Twinshock. It's no fun without ya!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #310
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,270

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #311
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,199
Smooooth Brewtus!

It's nice watching that at work with the sound down. I can imagine that thing making actual motorcycle noises!
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #312
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Smooooth Brewtus!
Thanks! And thanks for pushing me to do it (I had chickened out 4 times on the 3rd obstacle before this was recorded.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
It's nice watching that at work with the sound down. I can imagine that thing making actual motorcycle noises!

Thanks Grizzzly for recording it (and not posting the 4 "chicken out" attempts that you also recorded )
Old 06-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #313
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
I'm sorry I said anything.

My apologies, everyone.

dont you know this isnt your thread anymore
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #314