User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #391
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,321
New TLR200 Reflex Owner

Ok, You guys made me want one of these little hybrids. So, looked on CL and found one !!! HA !!! It's an "86 with 1859 miles on it, but been sittin up for few years, so got some work to do on it. Looks like it's mostly all there except for the mirrors, and mostly unmolested. No big dents or dings, just a couple of small scratches. I haven't ridden Trials sense "76 on a SherpaT, and probably won't get back in to compettion, but I'm really looking forward to playing around with this thing. Just ordered a manual off ebay, and I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. Is this the right place or is there another thread that is better suited to my NOOB questions. Thanks.... couple of pics.

And here's a web site I found while researching the 200 Reflex. Cool pics. http://www.onlytrial.com/1/from_1985_to_90_120288.html
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #392
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
Change the sprockets to trials gearing, real tires and you are most of the way there!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #393
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
If you are using for play-bike or trail riding, leave it exactly as it...........thats what Honda made them for.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #394
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
If you are using for play-bike or trail riding, leave it exactly as it...........thats what Honda made them for.
I expect to be doing more Trials typy riding, but not sure about competion. Unless the local Trials Club ( North Texas Trials Association) has a fun class for really old guys on noncompetive bikes. Had more fun riding trials than any other untill they moved me into the Master Class. Some of those sections scared the crap out of me. Thats one reason I quit. Really looking forward to doing some more fun trials riding. So.... gear down, rejet carb (?), and new tires. What tires are you guys using on the TLR200 Reflex. Back in the "70s everyone around here used Dunlop. I don't need the best high $ tires, Just some reliable trials tires. I guess there are still rules about tire sizes. I know some rules have changed because we used to have to keep forward motion.

2bold2getold screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 08:43 PM
Old 01-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #395
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

IRC makes a real trials tire, TR11`s if my memory is right.(They also make junk cheaper ones like the stock reflex tires)
Finding the tube type rear is a liitle hard. Modern bikes run tubeless. Go to a 10t cs spocket. Might ask Brutus what rear spocket he was using. The pilot jet needs to be larger, somewhere in this thread a part number was discussed I just drilled mine out.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #396
TXNMGUY
dirt dobber

Oddometer: 99
Hey 2bold2getold come ride with us up in Bridgeport. We are a bunch of old fart riding TY's and having fun. Lots of vintage guys in the area. Check out www.HFVTT.com fun guys just playing on old bikes.
TXNMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #397
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNMGUY View Post
Hey 2bold2getold come ride with us up in Bridgeport. We are a bunch of old fart riding TY's and having fun. Lots of vintage guys in the area. Check out www.HFVTT.com fun guys just playing on old bikes.
Thanks for the replys, information, and the link guys. Got some work to do before I can do anything, but might add one more to the "old fart" group. Thanks for the invite. Bridgeport is about the closest palce to ride that I know of, If that old guy that owns the place is in a good mood at the time. I think he likes trials riders more than the others though.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:01 AM   #398
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Thought this thread was supposed to be about junk? All I see are folks having fun on cool bikes .
Old 02-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #399
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
I expect to be doing more Trials typy riding, but not sure about competion. Unless the local Trials Club ( North Texas Trials Association) has a fun class for really old guys on noncompetive bikes. Had more fun riding trials than any other untill they moved me into the Master Class. Some of those sections scared the crap out of me. Thats one reason I quit. Really looking forward to doing some more fun trials riding. So.... gear down, rejet carb (?), and new tires. What tires are you guys using on the TLR200 Reflex. Back in the "70s everyone around here used Dunlop. I don't need the best high $ tires, Just some reliable trials tires. I guess there are still rules about tire sizes. I know some rules have changed because we used to have to keep forward motion.
I have to say this, so take with grain of salt "ish". If you have followed me at all on this site, you already know my dad & I (he's 77 years old now) got rid of our 76, and 79 Sherpa-T's respectively, and returned to trials competition. Yes we rode and practiced trials on our old T's, and 10 year old techniques. Yes this was in 2001 or so... I got a 1999 gasgas 321, He's retired, so you might say we shared it. he rode it a lot while I slaved away at work (LOL). Mind you, he's thinking at the time, he'll just putter around, and watch me.
That didnt last long.

I think it was 3 months later he went and bought a 2000 model 321, and we're both competing every since.

BTW it is addicting!!!

SO, Unless you are absolutely like not interested in trials now, then:

Get a new style bike if you can, get to one of the NTTA events, make some friends. I think you will enjoy the hell out of it.

By the way, Look for a younger guy names Shawn, he's revamping the hell out of the NTTA's website, he was into 2shocks, bought a newer beta and he's really getting good quick on it. I wish I lived closer to where he does.

Then sometimes this summer we might meet, when Dad & I travel to the NTTA's hosting of the Central Regionals, that is held up on red river, probably this april or may?

Sting32 screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 01:10 PM
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #400
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
I have to say this, so take with grain of salt "ish". If you have followed me at all on this site, you already know my dad & I (he's 77 years old now) got rid of out 76, and 79 Sherpa-T's respectively, and returned to trials competition. Yes we rode and practiced trials on our old T's, and 10 year old techniques. Yes this was in 2001 or so... I got a 1999 gasgas 321, He's retired so you might say we shared it, he rode it a lot while I slaved away at work (LOL). Mind you, he's thinking at the time, he'll just putter around, and watch me.
That didnt last long.

I think it was 3 months later he went and bought a 2000 model 321, and we're both competing every since.

BTW it is addicting!!!

SO, Unless you are absolutely like not interested in trials now, then:

Get a new style bike if you can, get to one of the NTTA events, make some friends. I think you will enjoy the hell out of it.

By the way, Look for a younger guy names Shawn, he's revamping the hell out of the NTTA's website, he was into 2shocks, bought a newer beta and he's really getting good quick on it. I wish I lived closer to where he does.

Then sometimes this summer we might meet, when Dad & I travel to the NTTA's hosting of the Central Regionals, that is held up on red river, probably this april or may?
That was about what I figured might happen. I got the Reflex started the other night. Still got some more to do before it's usuable. One reason I got it is because my daughter, now 39 yo, said she wanted to ride again. She used to ride with me some when she was 12 on a XR100. I don't need much excuse to get a new Bike/project. I've been checking CL for newer trials bikes but don't know enough about the different models to make a smart choice yet. I know I don't want one that needs race gas and is really on the edge of reliable. Think I'll tinker around with this one for a while till I get a feel for the modern stuff. I checked out the new NTTA web site, looks much better, and some of those old pics are very familar. I won an enduro at Bulcher (Red River) in "74 on my "72 Ossa Pioneer. Pure luck. Back then all we had was a route holder and a stop watch ( which I still have BTW). Hope to meet you and your dad at the Central Regionals, and with a little luck, I'll have something better to ride by then.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #401
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoop View Post
Thought this thread was supposed to be about junk? All I see are folks having fun on cool bikes .

Actually I started this thread to chronicle the progress of a pile of discarded Reflex parts into a (somewhat) competitive Twinshock Trials bike. The initial build is here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=Outright+Junk . The name came from my buddy that had a broken-in-half Reflex that was destined for the junkman that I drove 80 miles to grab one cold December morning. I had loaded the wretched thing (it was bad!) into the back of my truck just as the scrap man drove up. When I had talked to my buddy about the bike a couple of days before, I had asked him if there was enough there to get started on the project. He replied "Hell no. Everything in that pile (where the Reflex had been discarded) is nothing but outright junk, ha ha!" The name stuck. I used the engine and wheels off of that donor for OJ.

brewtus screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 10:44 AM
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #402
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
Actually I started this thread to chronicle the progress of a pile of discarded Reflex parts into a (somewhat) competitive Twinshock Trials bike. The name came from my buddy that had a broken-in-half Reflex that was destined for the junkman that I drove 80 miles to grab one cold December morning. I had loaded the wretched thing (it was bad!) into the back of my truck just as the scrap man drove up. When I had talked to my buddy about the bike a couple of days before, I had asked him if there was enough there to get started on the project. He replied "Hell no. Everything in that pile (where the Reflex had been discarded) is nothing but outright junk, ha ha!" The name stuck. I used the engine and wheels off of that donor for OJ.
And let's not forget that OJ is now a state championship winning pile of crap!!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #403
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
Actually I started this thread to chronicle the progress of a pile of discarded Reflex parts into a (somewhat) competitive Twinshock Trials bike. The name came from my buddy that had a broken-in-half Reflex that was destined for the junkman that I drove 80 miles to grab one cold December morning. I had loaded the wretched thing (it was bad!) into the back of my truck just as the scrap man drove up. When I had talked to my buddy about the bike a couple of days before, I had asked him if there was enough there to get started on the project. He replied "Hell no. Everything in that pile (where the Reflex had been discarded) is nothing but outright junk, ha ha!" The name stuck. I used the engine and wheels off of that donor for OJ.
Wharever the reason you started the thread, THANKS. It has inspired me to revisit/refresh my trials roots. So, let the fun begin.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #404
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
Wharever the reason you started the thread, THANKS. It has inspired me to revisit/refresh my trials roots. So, let the fun begin.

Do it!!

And welcome back to.....

...the Dark Side!
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #405
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Brewtus, time to get OJ up to speed. Less than a month away before our trials. Got the Cota 200 running again! Took it apart and found nothing obvious wrong. Replaced one main (looked like it got hot). Back together and runs better than ever.
Had to make a base gasket.(Compression seems better from the homemade gasket). Went from 3 clutch springs back to the stock six. (So much for the easy clutch pull) Added a ball bearing to the detent spring. Maybe it will stay in second this year.
Next week new tires. Also have new sprockets and chain coming. Found a one tooth smaller cs sprocket. That should solve my low end problem with the small engine!!!