Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #46
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
Been done multiple times. The kickstarter lever always made it's way back out to the end of the shaft, and usually at the exact wrong time. The welded bracket took up a whopping 45 minutes out of my life, so I call it good.

Tried that. It was still a bit speedy, since the XR200 based engine does not have a really low primary gearing. OJ is a bit more versatile with the low gearing, especially in soft sand (where most of the next Trial is set, BTW). For long hillclimbs, I just upshift.

I have a very nice 4RT for modern events. No desire whatsoever to cut and weld the frame on OJ. Ditto for intake and exhaust mods. The pegs have already been lowered, and widening them is in the works. I will modify the upper clamp for some Fatbars soon, along with raising them a bit. As for a bunch of hootchie mods after that, pass. It works just fine in it's own magnificently crappy way.

Have worked on an awful lot of TLR's and never needed to do that mod on a kickstart ever............

A guy I know ran a TLR in the UK twin-shock championship a few years back and was on 9-42 gearing. Much lower than that means 1st gear is much too low for most sections, and the wide ratio box means 2nd and 3rd are too high for modern type TS sections we get here in the UK.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:11 AM   #47
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
A guy I know ran a TLR in the UK twin-shock championship a few years back and was on 9-42 gearing. Much lower than that means 1st gear is much too low for most sections, and the wide ratio box means 2nd and 3rd are too high for modern type TS sections we get here in the UK.

If I ever ship OJ to the UK to ride, I'll keep that in mind. The gearing works just fine for Trials here in the wild, wild west.
brewtus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #48
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Must be some awfully tight technical sections over there then............I find 9-44 is very low, and means you cant really use 1st gear for anything other than really tight turn type stuff.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #49
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,281
Tore into this `new reflex` today. It was parked for 10 years. Took about 4 hours of soaking to get the slide out. Gonna be tough to get this rideable by this weekend.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #50
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Sounds like you will need a new carb............pit bike ones work fine and are very cheap from Ebay.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #51
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Tore into this `new reflex` today. It was parked for 10 years. Took about 4 hours of soaking to get the slide out. Gonna be tough to get this rideable by this weekend.

Why bother? Your Cota 347 is 10 times the bike the Reflux will ever be.
brewtus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #52
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
Why bother? Your Cota 347 is 10 times the bike the Reflux will ever be.
In actual fact a TLR with a few simple mods is far superior to any TS Montesa.............the stock TLR though is pretty awful, but its easily improved without spending much money.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #53
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,281
Quote:
In actual fact a TLR with a few simple mods is far superior to any TS Montesa.............the stock TLR though is pretty awful, but its easily improved without spending much money.
Now I`ll give you the reflex was better than my 1971 247. But I have come to the conclusion that you are `touched` in the head and should seek some proffesional help. My `81 cota 200 as old as it is with no mods is a much better trials mount than a stock reflex. And I had the pleasure of owning a very nice `84 cota 350 that I wish I never sold. It could not compare to a mono yamaha, but would be great in the vintage class!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #54
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Now I`ll give you the reflex was better than my 1971 247. But I have come to the conclusion that you are `touched` in the head and should seek some proffesional help. My `81 cota 200 as old as it is with no mods is a much better trials mount than a stock reflex. And I had the pleasure of owning a very nice `84 cota 350 that I wish I never sold. It could not compare to a mono yamaha, but would be great in the vintage class!
You are quite right to agree with me that the stock TLR isnt much good at all. However a TLR with a few simple/cheap alterations is far superior to any TS Montesa, and I think to some extent this is proved by the fact that modified TLR's have won UK twin-shock championship rounds, while to the best of my knowledge no one is even using a TS Montesa in these events (due to them being heavy, uncompetitive, with difficult/impossible parts).

I would suggest you have a ride on Bob Ginders modified TLR if you get the chance, and then I am 100% sure you will then agree that a modified TLR is an awful lot better than the old dinos you seem to favour.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:38 AM   #55
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,324
The title of this thrread is...

FUN with Outright Junk...

Let the man have his FUN.
Garthe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #56
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
The title of this thrread is...

FUN with Outright Junk...

Let the man have his FUN.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #57
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
You are quite right to agree with me that the stock TLR isnt much good at all. However a TLR with a few simple/cheap alterations is far superior to any TS Montesa, and I think to some extent this is proved by the fact that modified TLR's have won UK twin-shock championship rounds, while to the best of my knowledge no one is even using a TS Montesa in these events (due to them being heavy, uncompetitive, with difficult/impossible parts).

I would suggest you have a ride on Bob Ginders modified TLR if you get the chance, and then I am 100% sure you will then agree that a modified TLR is an awful lot better than the old dinos you seem to favour.
I see you are an expert in TwinshockS, but you do know that the "TLR's" you are probably referring to is NOT even close to what was ever imported in the USA/canada, RIGHT?

Over in your country, and the rest of the UK? You have a "TLR" which actually IS a trials bike... and look more LIKE this pic

But, over here they were street bike/enduro loosley based on that TLR over there's trials bike design. They weigh a ton stock, the POS's shiped with steel rims...

THis picture is missing a lot of the lights as well...

I doubt like hell the montessa 2 shock bike you have in your mind, could outweigh the TLR (AKA Reflex as they were called) and most of us that have one (I have 2) call them reflux,,, even if I was sitting on the montessa.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #58
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Bob Ginders modified TLR is based on a Reflex, and nearly all of the alterations are things that anyone can do pretty easily. A completely stock Reflex with very minor changes, will work well enough for beginner level riders on easier sections, and will improve riding skills far faster than any modern bike, and will have cost far less money than going modern.

Reflex has smaller diameter fork stanchions and steel wheel rims, but other than that its pretty much exactly the same as a TLR, and these things are unlikely to make a scrap of difference to how well the bike performs in easier events. Neither the TLR or Reflex is a true trials bike, but either can be improved enormously with a few easily carried out alterations.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #59
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,244
ok ok we get it

JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #60
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

At last......................lol