Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #121
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,070
That would be a nice bike. One of a kind. Surprised to see a ty 250 rear wheel. Maybe sherco or scorpa front end. Can`t make out what front brakes. Fork clamps are the only thing out of place, build quality of Harley. I would question the rear brake pedal. Would be a fun bike to ride for sure. Thanks for the pic.
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #122
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/a...l/DSC_0231.jpg

The producer is I think making a small run of these TLR frame kits, and as the bike pictured is very much a prototype, I guess thats the reason for things like the TY back wheel and rather nasty brake pedal. Personally I would have used modern forks rather than the 35mm Fantic ones fitted, Maxton rear shocks, and maybe a completely new tank/seat unit to make the bike more modern looking?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:27 AM   #123
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,070
After posting I was wondering if they might be forks off a Fantic I have not had one around for awhile. I have a couple of sets of ty wheels laying around myself so I found that amusing as I have been thinking about that. The stock hub is something I`d like to replace.
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:31 AM   #124
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

On the TLR200 the size of the wheel spindles is a problem, as these tend to bend if the bikes are used seriously, and on a bike I have fitted with modern forks, as well as bending the stock 12mm spindle the rider has managed to collapse the front wheel.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #125
KellyC
TimeKeeper

Oddometer: 604
Hey Twin-shocker. I really appreciate your recent posts in this thread and elsewhere on the trials forum.
Could you start a new thread on building/improving/finding parts for the Honda trials bikes? You could do it here or over at the trials forum on Thumpertalk.com.

I've got a really clean TLR200 that I want to build up into something special. I've also got a TL250 that is waiting for a restoration and a TL125 that's a survivor that I ride daily in my backyard. I love the Honda trials bikes and think it would be great if you could set up a thread on one of the boards and share your knowledge since Europe was a bigger market for Honda with trials and you guys have much more experience with the bikes.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #126
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

"Yeah I was getting a bit tired of all the BS this thread had been infested with. After all, the first word in the title is fun."

As the general feeling seems to be cheap easy to do modifications for the TLR Honda that work very well are not helpful, I wont be wasting time posting anything more on the subject here. But feel free to PM me with any TLR questions you might have, and I will see if I can assist.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #127
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
"Yeah I was getting a bit tired of all the BS this thread had been infested with. After all, the first word in the title is fun."

As the general feeling seems to be cheap easy to do modifications for the TLR Honda that work very well are not helpful, I wont be wasting time posting anything more on the subject here. But feel free to PM me with any TLR questions you might have, and I will see if I can assist.

My gawd, you really don't get it do you?

WTF, do I have to spell it out for you??

The point, the WHOLE FUCKING POINT of this thread was to assemble a bike out of (3) piles of junk (literally!) that was destined for the landfill into a competitive Trials bike. THAT'S ALL!! It is not, nor has ever been a build/restoration/resto-mod thread, hence the reason these key words were not in the title.

Now I do admit I am taking a certain liberty in bashing the poor waif North American spec TLR200 Reflex, but it is part of the.....FUN. I make no apologies for that, there were many other true Trials bike options available at the time. I do know fully well that many Reflex's were used to start generations of Trials riders here in America, just as Yamaha's magnificent TY80 did. Truth is in stock form it makes a piss-poor true Trials bike. Too heavy, too long of rake, too light of flywheel, too weak of brake. Better than true Trials examples of the '70's? Not by much. Better than true Trials examples of the mid-'80's (when it was available here in the U.S.?) Not hardly. Can one be ridden with precious little modifications competitively (with my feeble skills) in Club-level Twinshock classes? Once again, part of the FUN.

Please take KellyC's advise and start a TLR200 mod thread. I think it would be a whole lot of FUN. I enjoy the TLR builds on the UK forums
, and have a gallery of TLR mod pics on my computer. I really dug the pics you posted here earlier of the custom-framed TLR. Am I willing to do these mods to OJ?

No.

Not yet, anyway.

We'll see what Lineaway has done to his TLR next month....
dammit!!

Then we'll see.

Start your thread. Feel free to bash me and OJ in it if you like. It will be
FUN.

brewtus screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 09:05 PM Reason: Whiteout!!
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #128
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
My gawd, you really don't get it do you? [/COLOR][/COLOR]
Ignore is the best choice.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #129
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

In continuing with the "Junk" theme, I got a bent-up Beta footpeg from my good friend and fellow League member Steve "Elwood" Orton for the sole purpose of widening the stock pegs on OJ.

I did not take a "before" pic to show how bent up it was when I got it. 7 minutes with a vice and a prybar got it to this shape -

Some cutoff wheel fun starting with the removal of the Beta mount -

And welding the now sliced Beta pegs to the OE Honda pegs. No, none of them are straight. No, I don't care -

A bit of PJ-1 rattlecan black to hide the sins of my crappy welding -

And the use of the Gyro as a paint drying rack -

- had the pegs ready for reinstall. I shot these pics after OJ was loaded into the Abductor ready for work tomorrow -

I'll let you know how it works tomorrow. More to come!
Old 04-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #130
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,560
Those actually look like they came out pretty good. How many beers was that mod?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #131
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
Those actually look like they came out pretty good. How many beers was that mod?
It's a 2-beer mod if you are comfortable with tools, cut-off wheels, welders, junk, and have a TG50M Gyro for a paint drying rack. More if you are unskilled or don't have the proper equipment.....
Old 04-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #132
neilking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Holly shit Brewtus! I put old Beta pegs on mine with a lot less trouble, or were they old Monty pegs??
13 Factory Beta 250
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #133
neilking
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post

"cheap easy to do modifications for the TLR Honda that work very well "

This is the only thing you say! over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
13 Factory Beta 250
Old 04-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #134
neilking
Gnarly Adventurer

and no. I will not pm you.
13 Factory Beta 250
Old 04-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #135
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilking View Post
Holly shit Brewtus! I put old Beta pegs on mine with a lot less trouble, or were they old Monty pegs??

They were Monty pegs! That's why they fit with no trouble!