Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
agypsy OP
Mr Analog

Oddometer: 212
gerbing heated gloves vs firstgear warm and safe gloves

hello folks,

trying to decide on heated gloves. gerbings G3 and T5 seem to have good reviews but not much protection. firstgear's warm and safe heated gloves have a carbon fiber version but not sure about the durability.

anyone here care to comment on quality and durability issues on either brand? both are around the same price once you add in the controllers. gerbings only makes heated clothing but as i said there doesn't seem to be much protection built into the gloves.

any help is always appreciated!

thanks

"be water..."

agypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,627
I have a pair of the WnS Ultimate Touring gloves.

The protection and construction of these gloves is very good. We are talking full leather, reinforced and also carbon fiber inserts where impacts are likely to occur. I would not hesitate to use these on the racetrack if needed.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
chassmash
Banned

Oddometer: 353
The Gerbing G3s don't get hot enough imho- going to try W&S Rider gloves- apparently the update ones are very hot
chassmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
agypsy OP
Mr Analog

does firstgear have a distribution deal with the warm n safe gear?
they look like they could be the same. i was just confused because the warn and safe website doesn't have anything by firstgear.

on amazon they have "Warm and Safe Carbon Fiber Heated Motorcycle Gloves by Firstgear".
http://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Heated-...6469008&sr=1-6

"be water..."

Old 01-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by agypsy View Post
does firstgear have a distribution deal with the warm n safe gear?
they look like they could be the same. i was just confused because the warn and safe website doesn't have anything by firstgear.

on amazon they have "Warm and Safe Carbon Fiber Heated Motorcycle Gloves by Firstgear".
http://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Heated-...6469008&sr=1-6
Yes, the products are the same.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
agypsy OP
Mr Analog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Yes, the products are the same.
thanks for the confirmation Yossarian!

"be water..."

Old 01-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,614
Dealing directly with W&S is a treat. They are fine people, and the gear is first-rate. They support de tar out'n it. My friend, who is terminally chilly, rode the last two days of 2011 in Maine with W&S gloves and heated liner in 15 degree temps and actually survived. The gloves are very well-made and warm.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 01-13-2012 at 10:06 AM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
Backmarker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
I have the firstgear gloves and on the inside tag it says manufactured by warm&safe. Great gloves, these replaced my gerbings. Much better glove i.m.h.o..
Old 01-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
agypsy OP
Mr Analog

one last question to round out this thread.

can anyone comment on the sizing?

thanks

"be water..."

Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by agypsy View Post
one last question to round out this thread.

can anyone comment on the sizing?

thanks
My palm is 8.75 inches around using the standard method. Size Large in the WnS gloves works best for me.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,614
Sizing seems to be pretty true to what they state.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
PhotoBiker
Please insert title here

Oddometer: 1,436
This same question gets asked a lot.

I've got both Warm 'n Safe gloves and a couple of pairs of Gerbings.

I commute, so I ride every day, rain, shine, snow, ice, etc, so my usage may differ from yours.

All of the gloves have failed right around a year. First one glove stops working, then shortly after the next stops.

With Warm'n Safe, after one year you are SOL, though they do have an "upgrade plan" you can get a new pair for $89[ish].

Gerbings are guaranteed for life (the wiring is). So, once a year, I send my Gerbings back (same thing with the liner). It takes 2 - 3 weeks for turn around so I need a spare set for the times when they fail in the winter. Somehow I am down to a single pair of Gerbings right now.

Can't comment on firstgear.

I honestly liked my warm 'n safe gloves the best. I still keep them as a backup "rain pair" for riding in the rain. I have a feeling that had I not worn them as much as I had, they might still be my primary set.

Other people I know who have the same gear do NOT have the same experience as I do. I doubt I somehow got all lemons since I bought my gear at different times over the years. I think I am just a little rougher on the gear and just live with it.
'06 Ninja 250
Check out my Gallery
PhotoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #13
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 989
I have First Gear Carbon gloves.

MY impression from comparing vs Gerbings (which I've only tried on in the shop, though a couple were hooked up to power): the Gerbings gloves were probably warmer. Two of the Gerbings models seemed less protective, and the other, more protective Gerbings glove I tried was stiffer than the First Gear glove. In fact it didn't seem any more flexible than my Tourmaster Winter Elite gloves.

The First Gear gloves really aren't warm enough at speed without wind protection. When I have them on it's pretty much always at full power. I've also used them plugged directly in with no regulator. At or near freezing, I need to use heated grips with them to be comfortable. Maybe with wind protection they'd be fine on their own. As is though, they're still the warmest I've got. As best I can tell they lose too much heat to the outside air.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
heat-troller_mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoBiker View Post
This same question gets asked a lot.

I've got both Warm 'n Safe gloves and a couple of pairs of Gerbings.

I commute, so I ride every day, rain, shine, snow, ice, etc, so my usage may differ from yours.

All of the gloves have failed right around a year. First one glove stops working, then shortly after the next stops.

With Warm'n Safe, after one year you are SOL, though they do have an "upgrade plan" you can get a new pair for $89[ish].

Gerbings are guaranteed for life (the wiring is). So, once a year, I send my Gerbings back (same thing with the liner). It takes 2 - 3 weeks for turn around so I need a spare set for the times when they fail in the winter. Somehow I am down to a single pair of Gerbings right now.

Can't comment on firstgear.

I honestly liked my warm 'n safe gloves the best. I still keep them as a backup "rain pair" for riding in the rain. I have a feeling that had I not worn them as much as I had, they might still be my primary set.

Other people I know who have the same gear do NOT have the same experience as I do. I doubt I somehow got all lemons since I bought my gear at different times over the years. I think I am just a little rougher on the gear and just live with it.
i am sorry but you mis-understood the policy on the website. the electrics are covered for life!

being real bikers we understand that gloves get the most punishment and we are constantly working to make them better.

call me any time and we will replace the gloves. the number is on the website.

heat-troller_mike screwed with this post 01-16-2012 at 11:09 AM
heat-troller_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
heat-troller_mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
I have First Gear Carbon gloves.

MY impression from comparing vs Gerbings (which I've only tried on in the shop, though a couple were hooked up to power): the Gerbings gloves were probably warmer. Two of the Gerbings models seemed less protective, and the other, more protective Gerbings glove I tried was stiffer than the First Gear glove. In fact it didn't seem any more flexible than my Tourmaster Winter Elite gloves.

The First Gear gloves really aren't warm enough at speed without wind protection. When I have them on it's pretty much always at full power. I've also used them plugged directly in with no regulator. At or near freezing, I need to use heated grips with them to be comfortable. Maybe with wind protection they'd be fine on their own. As is though, they're still the warmest I've got. As best I can tell they lose too much heat to the outside air.
the gloves change depending on feedback. if you think they are not warm enough, contact us and we will send you the latest batch that are a lot warmer. we are always trying to balance heat, safety and draw. sometimes we get it right. but also remember we do not stuff our gloves with insulation so you can't feel the bike. the number one concern we have in all our gear is the riding experiance. if you can't feel the bike then you have a problem.

if you feel the gloves are not warm enough then test out the resistance. then contact me by email or phone and if you really need them hotter than we can fix that. since the first gear are made at the same time as ours if the factory gets confused and thinks we are one of the other companies they build for and these guys build for just about every one, then they put a lower heat into the gloves. it is posible that you got one of them. but we try to keep the resistance at 10 ohm and for most people that is too hot. every one else is about 11.5 ohm. so take a meter and test and then let me know if you want one of the latest batch.

heat-troller_mike screwed with this post 01-16-2012 at 11:32 AM
heat-troller_mike is offline   Reply With Quote