User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
KEN PHENIX OP
"CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer: 650
The Phenix Oiler

THIS IS NOT AN OIL THREAD! USE WHATEVER BRAND CHAIN LUBE YOU LIKE.

Manually lubing a motorcycle chain while on an Iron Butt ride consumes precious time - and even more time with no center stand. Having the ability to lube the chain while in motion makes sense. It is known that automatic chain oilers increase chain life by a factor of 2 or even 3. However, the models I looked at were either expensive, complicated, messy or even unreliable. Just do a search for "programming your Pro-Oiler." No thanks. I sought to find a simpler cheaper more dependable system.

ASSUMPTION #1
I decided to treat a chain lube test found on page 58 of the Winter 2013 issue of Iron Butt Magazine as gospel. The basis was simple: heat is caused by friction. Dupont Teflon, Blue Label PJ-1, WD-40 and Scott Oiler with ATF were compared by taking temperature readings with an infrared thermometer at both sprockets and several points on the chain. Readings were taken at 37 and 73 miles of constant highway speed. The results were surprising. The lowest temperatures measured were a virtual tie between the Scott oiler and WD-40! There was barely 10 degrees separating the field and conditions did not involve dirt or rain. My beloved PJ-1 came in last.

ASSUMPTION #2
I also remembered where an inmate had soaked identical o-rings in popular lubricants for a month and then measured them. The LEAST degradation occurred in the o-ring immersed in, you guessed it, WD-40. PJ-1 was almost as good. Other o-rings were visibly swollen. Thank you klm4755. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345397

Convinced that it was at least not harmful to o-rings, I decided to test the WD-40 on a trip. I wanted a way to quickly lube the chain during a SS2000 from East Texas to the west coast, so I fashioned a pouch on the front of my left pannier to hold the can and I gave the exposed parts of the chain a liberal application at every gas stop. It took seconds and not only did the chain never run dry, it required NO ADJUSTMENT for the entire 4,848 mile trip! And the chain was not new. The EK brand 530zzz x-ring rated at 11,000# had over 10,000 miles on it when I started. I carried a can of Blue Label PJ-1 in case I encountered rain.

My criteria for a chain oiler: it must be safe, simple, cheap, readily available and above all easy to operate. I decided to incorporate both WD-40 and PJ-1. I fashioned a mount from flat 1" aluminum and hose clamps to hold the cans to the front of my left pannier. I used the smallest weed wacker fuel line to deliver the lube to the chain.

I filed grooves into the end of an aluminum spacer and cut sections of the PJ-1's little red straw to be held in place by a bolt and washer.

I attached the "nozzle" to the front of the bike's chain guard.

I attached small hinged hasps above each can of lubricant to act as paddles for easy left thumb access while in motion. I need only to push down on the top of the bag.

Then I covered the rig with a small zippered tool pouch so I wouldn't have to explain what I had done to absolutely everybody at every stop.

On my next BBG1500 attempt I plan to give the chain a 2 or 3 second burst as I pull into each fuel stop. I can alternate between the cans and use more PJ-1 in wet conditions. To clean the chain I can soak it with WD-40 before coming to a stop and wipe it down with a rag. Stay tuned for the test.

http://kphenix.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/The...Oiler/i-PZt2BJ7
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX screwed with this post 10-01-2014 at 07:58 PM
KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:10 AM   #2
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,530
I love ingenuity and creative thinking!
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:20 AM   #3
El Dudeness
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Interesting....subscribed...

Looking forward to the sequel.....
Old 10-02-2014, 04:32 AM   #4
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,683
I also like these sort of tests and Mr.Fix it type threads

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:25 AM   #5
Zim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Nice setup! I tried something similar with a bottle, tubing, and a small engine primer bulb, but your contraption appears much cleaner and selectable.

Quote:
The basis was simple: heat is caused by friction.
With the understanding that I am not a Thermodynamicist*... doesn't heat in the final drive system come from friction and engine heat transfer through the front sprocket?

Also, does the can of PJ1 need to be shaken before use?

*all 5 dollar word proceeds go to charity
Zim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:38 AM   #6
guyfawkes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
hmm, what about the spraycans themselves...that black bag is gonna heat up nicely in direct sunlight, even more so when you consider the exhaust seems to be nearby...might cause a slight case of explosion ?
guyfawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #7
KEN PHENIX OP
"CERTIFIABLE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
Nice setup! I tried something similar with a bottle, tubing, and a small engine primer bulb, but your contraption appears much cleaner and selectable.
Thanks.

Quote:
With the understanding that I am not a Thermodynamicist*... doesn't heat in the final drive system come from friction and engine heat transfer through the front sprocket?
Yes, in the test temperature readings were taken and recorded at the countershaft and rear sprockets and at several places on the chain. So the only variable was the brand of lube used.
Quote:
Also, does the can of PJ1 need to be shaken before use?
That's what rumble strips are for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfawkes View Post
hmm, what about the spraycans themselves...that black bag is gonna heat up nicely in direct sunlight, even more so when you consider the exhaust seems to be nearby...might cause a slight case of explosion ?
Let the speculation fly!
Actually, it's a Honda - it doesn't get hot - I can rest my bare hand on that heat shield. Oh wait - my gear is black! I might EXPLODE!!

BTW: I have carried a can of chain lube in my BLACK side case for years. Let's try to keep it real, ok? I put this up in hopes that somebody else could benefit but knowing I'd have to endure a certain amount of ridicule. That's the way it is I guess.
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX screwed with this post 10-02-2014 at 09:30 AM
Old 10-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN PHENIX View Post

BTW: I have carried a can of chain lube in my BLACK side case for years. Let's try to keep it real, ok? I put this up in hopes that somebody else could benefit but knowing I'd have to endure a certain amount of ridicule. That's the way it is I guess.
Thats actually pretty sharp...

The OCD in me has a concern about spraying on the way into the station and then negotiating some tight turns. Any concerns about fling / pooling onto the tire? Would it be better to 'lube up' on the move once the chain has heated? (note: I don't know how hard it sprays, how much sprays out in that few seconds, or how much it flies about. Probably nothing to worry about)

Heck, now I feel like I want to do exactly the same thing with cold water & air pressure onto a cotton t-shirt on hot days.
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #9
juddspaintballs
Never too many bikes

Oddometer: 427
Yes! I talked to a Scottoiler rep the other day at length and described to him that I didn't want an automatic oiler, but rather a manual oiler. I've run large chainsaws for years with only manual oilers, I think I can remember to manually oil my chain while riding too. It beats remembering that I forgot to oil the chain while riding and thinking that I should do it when I get home, only to forget again. I also love using WD-40. I may just steal your idea and rig up a manual WD-40 oiler for myself.

Subscribing.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #10
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Very neat. Looking forward to further posts. I have several cans of lube on my tool box at work, every time I grab one the straw is missing or in the tray bottom. Seems they fall off with just a little vibration/bump. Would hate to see you lube your bag.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #11
Butters
Kwyjibo

Oddometer: 2,587
Bravo. So simple and makes perfect sense. Who needs automatic when a single squeeze with do the job?

I may try it with a smaller bottle of something, maybe the small squeeze bottle of Dupont Chain Saver.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #12
Sl0rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
Very neat. Looking forward to further posts. I have several cans of lube on my tool box at work, every time I grab one the straw is missing or in the tray bottom. Seems they fall off with just a little vibration/bump. Would hate to see you lube your bag.
A drop of superglue on the nozzle and the red pipe would prevent that. When you change to the new can of WD40 you'd get a new red tube to stick into the clear tubing anyway.

Nice idea by the way!
Sl0rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #13
KEN PHENIX OP
"CERTIFIABLE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sl0rider View Post
A drop of superglue on the nozzle and the red pipe would prevent that. When you change to the new can of WD40 you'd get a new red tube to stick into the clear tubing anyway.

Nice idea by the way!
The WD-40 "Smart Straw" is quite secure. The red straw goes at least an inch into the gray holder. I may try to adapt another Smart Straw top to the PJ-1 can - if it becomes an issue.
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

Old 10-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #14
KEN PHENIX OP
"CERTIFIABLE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddspaintballs View Post
Yes!
I also love using WD-40. I may just steal your idea and rig up a manual WD-40 oiler for myself.

Subscribing.
Go for it! I'm glad I had an idea worth sharing.
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

Old 10-02-2014, 08:44 PM   #15
tcall52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
I like your idea, and I'm certainly not trying to hijack your thread, but isn't it similar to this product (w/o the WD-40, of course):

http://www.loobman.co.uk

These things get good reviews for their simplicity, effectiveness, and ease of use. But I definitely get the idea of building your own better mousetrap. Can't wait to see the finished product.
tcall52 is offline   Reply With Quote