User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
mqo233 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
staying dry

I used many different brands of motorcycle gear, first gear, aerostich, and now Klim,

all good gear,

and in the rain, most of time, they are great, but when they are stress tested, like today, the aerostich pants and the Klim jacked got tested, and they kind of fail the test.

I just feel wetness though the products,

what is the best gear that will work and I not feel that wetness, without stopping and putting on a rain suit or liner.

thanks in advance for all help.

James
mqo233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #2
GeeK_InsiDe
Moore Gas!!!

Oddometer: 343
Never had any problem with my Klim gear. You may "reactivate" the Goretex membrane with a special detergent regularly.

I don't know a better product than a laminated goretex pro but if you're ready to loose the breathability of the goretex you may keep your rain suit.
GeeK_InsiDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,908
What Aerostich pants were you wearing?

Also, did you say you "felt wetness" or actually got wet.

Could be just the convection effect. Kinda like when you feel wind with a windshirt on but your skin isn't actually getting hit by the wind.

Or when you wear a set of latex gloves and put your hand in water, it :feels wet" but you're actually not wet.

That "feel" is normal with goretex gear, especially unlined goretex gear like Aerostich.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Every "Water Proof" motorcycle gear I have ever tried leaked. Around 1990 I gave up. I went to West Marine and bought a set of their store brand Foul weather gear. It doesn't leak. I'm on my second set now. Maybe someone makes what you are looking for. I don't know what it is because I quit looking.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:02 PM   #5
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
Every "Water Proof" motorcycle gear I have ever tried leaked. Around 1990 I gave up. I went to West Marine and bought a set of their store brand Foul weather gear. It doesn't leak. I'm on my second set now. Maybe someone makes what you are looking for. I don't know what it is because I quit looking.

Walter

You know things have gotten better in the last 25 years.

Waterproof gear works ten times better
There is fuel injection in most motorcycles now
They even have these new fangled cellularized telephones that fit right inside your pocket.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
c-m
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
The best goretex jackets and clothing will have a hh of around 20,000 which is about 25psi.

That will keep you dry in heaviest of rains while out hiking or whatever.

Going 80mph into a head wind in the rain is another matter.
c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:54 PM   #7
Jim K.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
Quote:

Walter
Walter has the right idea here. Over the long haul, in extreme wet conditions, "breathability" & dryness are incompatible. They may co-exist for a while, (and at great cost) when new, but good quality sailing foulies are the only truly dry gear I've ever found.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:39 PM   #8
TrickyRic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
I have ridden hundreds of miles in a day of constant heavy downpours a few different times. I have stayed absolutely completely dry, other than my neck and sometimes my hands..when my previous waterproof gloves weren't. This was with Gortex bib over pants and two different higher end textile jackets with Gortex liners. Also with Gortex lined TCX boots.

The "feeling" of wetness while actually remaining dry I have also experienced but the simple solution is have a layer between you and the Gortex to insulate you from the coldness that is caused by the rain on the other side of the Gortex.
Never have I found any other rain liner that works as well while still breathing like the genuine Gortex does.
TrickyRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:50 PM   #9
RoundTrip
Unintentional deerslayer

Oddometer: 1,643
As others have said, put a layer between you and the Gore Tex and that "wet feeling" will disappear.

I have been riding in some hellacious weather and never gotten wet with good gear from BMW or Aerostich.

-jeff
Old 01-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #10
AMSBIKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Nixwax

I use a product called nixwax here in the UK where there loads of rain. Spray on leave it dry and repeat until bottle runs out. Excellent stuff and I've ridden in horrendous rain for long periods with no leakage

Available for leather and textile. There are wash in types and spray on.

Link below for the one I used on my joe rocket survivor (which leaked like a sieve new). Used a litre bottle in one applications

http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/produc...-1&fabricid=-1

AB
AMSBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
TrickyRic
Gnarly Adventurer

Nikwax is also readily available here in the States. I've had good luck using it to re-waterproof non motorcycling nylon rain gear, but have not seen as good a result with leather motorcycle gloves.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:33 PM   #12
TBickell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Best "water-proof pants"

Instead of starting a new thread.. I'' jump in here with a question..

I've been through a few riding"outfits" and I have had a good run with Rev-it's stuff that has a water-proof liner and other products that have the water-proof liner sewn in but there is a trade off there and it seems like there are a few choices of gear that is a quality Gore-tex shell oriented item like Klim and Aerostich. I just got a Klim Latitude Misano from an inmate here and recently battle tested it in a cold Arizona rain and it was warm and dry. Before I spend the money on the matching Latitude pants what else is out there that is a water-proof exterior/shell that vents and can be worn with some degree of comfort when it's warm?
TBickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:26 PM   #13
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:

Walter
Yup. My last rain suit lasted 30 some years. This year I went to Fishermans Marine & bought another set.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:00 AM   #14
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
You know things have gotten better in the last 25 years.

Waterproof gear works ten times better
There is fuel injection in most motorcycles now
Maybe the new waterproof gear works better, maybe it doesn't. I'm not inclined to spend any more of my money to find out. I know my sailing foul weather gear doesn't leak. I tried an Olimpia Phantom suit a few years back, it leaks. It also feels like your wearing a sauna in hot weather even with all it's vents open.

We all want one suit that does it all. Waterproof when it pours rain, Comfortable in the heat and oh yea protect our skin, and bones if we crash. That is asking an awful lot. The waterproof breathable fabrics may be breathable, but they aren't breathable enough when the temperatures get high. So the suit manufacturers add vents. Adding vents means adding zippers. Every zipper is a potential leak. By carrying separate rain gear I relieve my primary riding gear of the need to be waterproof. That means it can be more comfortable in other conditions. If it gets wet I put on the rain gear. The rain gear is also wind proof. So if it gets cold I often put on the rain gear, it helps to keep the heat in.

I'm not sure what fuel injection has to do with this: But I'm pretty sure the first production fuel injected bike was the 1982 CX500TC. I only put 147,500 miles on one of those.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:18 AM   #15
TrickyRic
Gnarly Adventurer

I agree Walter that we all want those things in our gear and it seems you have found what works for you.
For me, the Revit Defender jacket meets those same needs. Excellent protection, real genuine Gortex REMOVABLE liner (out when it's not needed) and excellent venting..the vent zippers don't matter as the Gortex liner is underneath them when it's in the jacket. I wore this jacket on a cross country trip, east coast to west coast and back..33 days. Hit 30 degrees to over 100 degrees..only one day of heavy rain, but did the rain thing on other trips. Revit pants don't fit me, too short, but I have a pair of Gortex over pants from my previous job in marine law enforcement. They are bibs and go higher than the waist of the jacket..bone dry and easily fit over my textile armored pants.

For me the key to all around comfort, heat or rain or cold, is the Gortex liner be removable, not the sewn in kind. I've done that kind too, kept me dry, but too hot on hot days.
Btw, Olympia does not use genuine Gortex. I returned an Olympia AST because it didn't keep me dry.