User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
deeve OP
DumbA$$

Oddometer: 1,077
Air Pump Advice Needed.

I have a Best Rest pump and air gauge. Both are nice, but take up a lot of room. The Best Rest also is loud and feels to me like it takes a while to air up. I have been trying to get in the habit of airing down when I hit the trail in my 990 and airing up when I get back to pavement.

I like the idea of one of those hand pumps because it can just be strapped to my luggage rack.

To those who maybe have both electric and hand pumps...or just use hand pumps. I would think a hand pump with a little gauge on it would work pretty well for airing up and down a tire...say going from 20 PSI to 36 PSI. How convenient is it?
Old 10-04-2014, 11:02 PM   #2
URAL CT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Go to the (gear) vendor section & check out "moto-pump", it's electric. The built in gauge is pretty accurate. Lot of folks here at ADV have bought 'em. Good luck!
URAL CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:08 AM   #3
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeve View Post
I would think a hand pump with a little gauge on it would work . . . How convenient is it?
Depends on access on your bike. Do your racks block easy access to the rear valve stem? What section is your rear tire?

With the shorty Mt-bike pump I need to have one hand near the valve stem and room to work the pump. This is easy when my luggage is off and I'm just reaching through the rack. With the luggage on, I have the extra step of rolling the bike to get the valve stem at the back of the wheel. For my setup it's the luggage width that's the problem more than the amount of wheel it covers.

With an electric pump I need only to reach in to connect the air chuck then plug the wire in for juice. I can get the electric pump chuck on the valve stem anywhere except if it's behind the swingarm.

Front is easy (for me) with either pump -- easy access, plenty of elbow room to work the hand pump, and a small tire section that increases pressure fast.

I still prefer the hand pump just because it's not making a racket. I have gotten large-diameter, shorty Mt.-bike pumps from 'stich and local bicycle shops. There's one on each bike. Only one electric pump and it doesn't always travel with me.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
If I was going to carry a hand pump on my motorcycle, it would be one of the Morph pumps by Topeak. My choice for on the motorcycle would be the Turbo Morph. It has a built in gauge, plus the higher air volume of the mountain morph.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #5
zabkaatlarge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I'm going to have to second the motopump. The gauge doesn't shake at all when pumping and is led backlit.
zabkaatlarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:56 AM   #6
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabkaatlarge View Post
I'm going to have to second the motopump. The gauge doesn't shake at all when pumping and is led backlit.
+3. Just plain works the way it should.

Free Cash Back for Online Purchases.....One More CashBack Site
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote