Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2010, 06:06 AM   #136
TYOzzy
TYOzzy

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded
Having never used a comm system - bluetooth or otherwise - I have a noob question...

If you are using the sets for bike-to-bike communication, and you receive a cell call on your linked phone, does the phone override the other rider? In other words, since these sets are apparently voice-activated rather than PTT, what prohibits him/her from having to listen to your side of the call?
The cell phone takes priority over the intercom and cuts the communication out. Of course each cell phone is paired to it's own system so it's just like answering your cell phone. Another cell phone can't answer your calls unless your forward the call to it.
TYOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:08 AM   #137
splat matt
::.::::..::.:::.::::

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYOzzy
It came with 3M mounting tape. Is it different than what you use? Hubby says he did all that. :)
The 3M tape I recommended is thicker which can help with adhesion on an irregular surface. I have used that tape with my older interphone headsets and never had one dismount. When you use rubbing alcohol you must wipe the surface dry (most rubbing alcohol has 20-30% water). The next important step is to hold the mount firmly against the helmet (for 30 or secs) without the bluetooth headset in the dock. If you reposition the unit while trying to mount the unit you should then apply new tape as the tape will lose its sticking power.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:09 AM   #138
Wingspan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice0000
Thats truly odd. Is this true?
I hear the phone calls through both speakers on my two units.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:17 AM   #139
TYOzzy
TYOzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingspan
I hear the phone calls through both speakers on my two units.
Glad to hear that. (no pun intended ) Hopefully it was just a fluke on mine. I'll try it again and see what happens.

Have you used yours bike to bike? Did you have any issues with static or garbled speech?
Old 05-16-2010, 06:21 AM   #140
TYOzzy
TYOzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotaru
The 3M tape I recommended is thicker which can help with adhesion on an irregular surface. I have used that tape with my older interphone headsets and never had one dismount. When you use rubbing alcohol you must wipe the surface dry (most rubbing alcohol has 20-30% water). The next important step is to hold the mount firmly against the helmet (for 30 or secs) without the bluetooth headset in the dock. If you reposition the unit while trying to mount the unit you should then apply new tape as the tape will lose its sticking power.
Thanks. I will try it. Definitely don't want to cut into the foam of my helmet, but I also don't want to lose a $300 headset going down the highway.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:24 AM   #141
splat matt

Quote:
Thanks. I will try it. Definitely don't want to cut into the foam of my helmet, but I also don't want to lose a $300 headset going down the highway.
The headset is still attached to the speakers inside you helmet so if the adhesive fails the wire to speakers should keep it tethered.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:27 AM   #142
TYOzzy
TYOzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Can you not go in between the foam and the shell itself?
Dual lock might be an option as well. It's similar to velcro but extremely strong.
If we end up having to make an incision, that's the way we'll do it. Under the foam and next to the helmet. I'd love to get a modular flip up helmet, but I'm wondering about issues with that now. I'll have to do some investigating. I'm going to try the 3M tape first... before any surgery is done. :)
Old 05-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #143
TYOzzy
TYOzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotaru
The headset is still attached to the speakers inside you helmet so if the adhesive fails the wire to speakers should keep it tethered.
True, I did think of that, but at 70 miles an hour I can see wires being ripped out and possibly a little pain as it flings about. :)
Old 05-16-2010, 06:43 AM   #144
Wingspan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Glad to hear that. (no pun intended ) Hopefully it was just a fluke on mine. I'll try it again and see what happens.

Have you used yours bike to bike? Did you have any issues with static or garbled speech?
No. The only issue I had was occasionally my wife couldn't hear me when she called me on the phone. That has been solved with a replacement microphone unit sent to me by Sena.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:05 AM   #145
Mantzy
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi guys and girls, first post on here though I've found myself on here several times before having a good ol fashioned lurk.

Basically, I'm very interested in this Sena unit as it sounds like something the good lady and I would both benefit from. I do have a couple of questions though. I've not got myself a Zumo yet, nor an iphone but do have an ipod, a car satnav and a phone with bluetooth. The missus also has an ipod and phone with bluetooth.

From what I've read, I'm lead to believe that the best way to set these up currently would be to have my phone through the sat nav and then the sat nav BTd to the Sena. I'm planning on getting a couple of BT connectors (docking type, not 3.5mm jack type - Sony TMRBT81P) so we can both listen to independant ipods (I can rock out while she's on the back listening to soft drivel) and both control them via the AVRCP on the jogwheel which I don't believe the 3.5mm jack type ones can (please correct me if wrong).

In the future, when I've convinced the missus to allow me to get a Zumo and a Google Nexus One/HTC Desire, I'd probably still like to keep the Ipod attached as it holds more but will I be able to use the phone for music too, without connecting through a sat nav? Edit: I don't always take the sat nav with me. Basically, I'd like to know if you can connect the sat nav, phone and ipod all independently or if there is only a maximum of 2 connections to other devices via bluetooth (I know I could always just connect the ipod via the cable but defeats the avrcp then.)

Also Rocketmoto, do you ship to the UK mainland and if so, how much? I know the plug wouldn't work but I've a UK style USB type cable charger thingy already (good english huh?)

Cheers everyone,
R (newbie inmate!)
Mantzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #146
Mike in NJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I have an SMH-10 that I'm using with a Zumo 660 and a BlackBerry Bold. I tried to pair both the BlackBerry and the Zumo to the SMH-10, but I could only pair one or the other, not both at the same time.

I think the problem has to do with overlapping Bluetooth profiles. I am able to restrict the BlackBerry to the Handsfree profile, which is the profile I must use if I want the voice dialing feature to work. But I am not able to force the Zumo to use the Headset profile, so I suspect it is trying to use Handsfree as well.

After an hour or two of experimentaiton, I dealt with the problem with pairing the BlackBerry to the Zumo and the Zumo to the SMH-10. All I lose in this scenario is the ability to voice dial from the SMH-10, and I gain the display of caller ID info on the Zumo for incoming calls.

I shouldn't be making outgoing calls while riding anyway, so I suppose this is keeping me safer.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #147
push_bars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I have the 2G iPhone and the Zumo 665. Phone to the Zumo, Zumo to the Sena. Works great for taking a call the one time the wife tried to get ahold of me. The Zumo says someone is calling and stops the music so you can pull over and answer. I have not tried working out a way to use the iPod feature of the phone since I have XM but I doubt it would work reliably while still paired to the zumo.

The XM antenna hates bluetooth but other than that the setup is working fine.
push_bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:33 AM   #148
sparkletoes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Hi push_bars...

If you enable Voice Activated Answering on the Sena (set off by default, manual pg.12 shows how to activate), can you answer the call when iPhone paired to Zumo?

I'm sure it will work when just iPhone paired to Sena, but would be interested to know if the above works too. Still waiting for mine to arrive, so I wonder if you'd mind checking this feature out - in the garage is fine!

Thanks hugely
Guy
sparkletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #149
PNWTJV
Ex-Navy, Now Student

Oddometer: 19
i was wondering if someone could give me a straight answer, i've read the forum and the various brochures, the sena can intercomm with 3 other smh10's as i understand it...

how does this work? aka, if i am on my bike, and buddy 1 is in front on his bike, and buddy 2 is behind on his bike, can we all chat on the same net? or if i am currently on the net with buddy 1, do i have to change channels to talk to buddy 2? can buddy 2 beep me if i am chatting with buddy 1? is it the same protocol for buddy 1 to talk to buddy 2? what happens if buddy 3 shows up on another bike with a sena? can buddy 3 (assuming he's already paired with the other three devices (how does it pair with multiple devices?)) intercomm with buddy 2 while buddy 1 and I are cahtting?

im hate staying in one spot, as soon as i get some time off, my ass is gone!
PNWTJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:52 AM   #150
splat matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWTJV
i was wondering if someone could give me a straight answer, i've read the forum and the various brochures, the sena can intercomm with 3 other smh10's as i understand it...

how does this work? aka, if i am on my bike, and buddy 1 is in front on his bike, and buddy 2 is behind on his bike, can we all chat on the same net? or if i am currently on the net with buddy 1, do i have to change channels to talk to buddy 2? can buddy 2 beep me if i am chatting with buddy 1? is it the same protocol for buddy 1 to talk to buddy 2? what happens if buddy 3 shows up on another bike with a sena? can buddy 3 (assuming he's already paired with the other three devices (how does it pair with multiple devices?)) intercomm with buddy 2 while buddy 1 and I are cahtting?

The manual provides a good answer your to questions (see pages 12-13) Sena SMH10 Manual Link

See also post #108 Link

If 2 devices are connected via BT then a third of the "same priority" will receive a busy notification until the original connection is severed. However if Rider A and Rider/Passenger B are connected via BT Intercom and either A OR B receives a Mobile phone call the connection will be severed until the call is over and either A or B re-establishes the connection.

Sena Bluetooh SMH10 revised function priority:
  • [1] Mobile phone (Highest)
    [2] Intercom
    [3] 3.5mm Audio input by cable
    [4] Bluetooth stereo music (lowest) [Note BT stereo music function is not operable if a device is connected to the 3.5mm Audio jack. Intercom and Mobile phone will work because their priorities are higher]

{Below is a response from Sena in regards to the priority of the Sena;
'Thank you for your interest in SMH10. 3.5 mm audio input has higher priority than Bluetooth Audio (we had a mistake in the manual that is now corrected). So when you have an audio device plugged into the 3.5mm jack, your Bluetooth Audio stream is blocked (it doesn't matter any audio device is connected at the other end of the cable or not). So, if you want to hear Bluetooth Audio, you have to pull out the audio cable from the 3.5 mm jack of the SMH10. However, mobile phone still has highest priority. It means that when you are using mobile phone, you cannot hear the audio signal of the source using the 3.5 mm plug. The priority is mobile phone - intercom - 3.5 mm audio plug - Bluetooth audio.'} ref:webbikeworld.com

_

splat matt screwed with this post 05-21-2010 at 04:20 AM
splat matt is offline   Reply With Quote