Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #1606
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
Actually, the zumo has to be paired with the SMH10 using both profiles, as I said above. If you do that, it will send voice directions to your helmet. If you don't, it won't (or will do it briefly then drop the connection). Obviously if you do that, you can't pair your phone to the SMH10 for any function except calls (using HFP and selective pairing).

Put another way, there is presently no way to pair the zumo and SMH10 using only A2DP or using only HFP. It's all or nothing, which is why I now run my zumo hardwired to a Sena SR10 which pairs via HFP-only to my SMH10 and leaves the SMH10 capable of also pairing with A2DP and HFP to my iPhone.

-dan
Well of course, I just need to buy more stuff......

That seems awfully short-sighted of Garmin.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #1607
NestorK
Artiface Artisan

Oddometer: 13,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
Actually, the zumo has to be paired with the SMH10 using both profiles, as I said above. If you do that, it will send voice directions to your helmet. If you don't, it won't (or will do it briefly then drop the connection). Obviously if you do that, you can't pair your phone to the SMH10 for any function except calls (using HFP and selective pairing).

Put another way, there is presently no way to pair the zumo and SMH10 using only A2DP or using only HFP. It's all or nothing, which is why I now run my zumo hardwired to a Sena SR10 which pairs via HFP-only to my SMH10 and leaves the SMH10 capable of also pairing with A2DP and HFP to my iPhone.

-dan
Not true. Only the headset profile needs to be paired to the Sena SMH10 with the zumo.

I have a 3gs, a zumo 660 and the sena. All three work together, and I can control the iphone with the Sena.
'Cos I got the burning fire in the bed of my soul

NestorK screwed with this post 05-29-2012 at 04:05 PM
NestorK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #1608
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by NestorK View Post
Not true. Only the headset needs to be paired to the Sena SMH10.

I have a 3gs, a zumo 660 and the sena. All three work together, and I can control the iphone with the Sena.
I'm glad your setup works, but I'm here to tell you that the 660 is using both HFP and A2DP in its pairing with the SMH10. So perhaps the 3GS is happy using only HFP, but I assume that means no music or functions other than cell phone calls. If you are able to hear music -- reliably -- through the phone and SMH10, then you have the only 660 I know of which will allow this.

You can of course also pair the phone with the zumo and run both through the SMH10, but I find Garmin's BT stack to be unreliable.

-dan
Old 05-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #1609
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,520
Looked through the thread, but didn't see this answered -- sorry if I missed it.

I'm considering purchasing a used of SMH10's. It looks like there is a 'V1' and 'V2'. The apparent difference is that the V2 has a USB port instead of an old fashioned round charging port. And that this USB port can be used for upgrading the firmware.

Am I correct?

Is there any way to upgrade the units with the round charging port? (Special cable?)

I like the price point of the used ones, but don't want to be stuck if I can't upgrade them.

TIA for your help!
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #1610
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsinc View Post
Looked through the thread, but didn't see this answered -- sorry if I missed it.

I'm considering purchasing a used of SMH10's. It looks like there is a 'V1' and 'V2'. The apparent difference is that the V2 has a USB port instead of an old fashioned round charging port. And that this USB port can be used for upgrading the firmware.

Am I correct?

Is there any way to upgrade the units with the round charging port? (Special cable?)

I like the price point of the used ones, but don't want to be stuck if I can't upgrade them.

TIA for your help!
There's no way to physically upgrade the V1 to V2.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #1611
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar View Post
There's no way to physically upgrade the V1 to V2.
nor is there a way to do a firmware update to the v1. Those models are stuck in time. They will work fine with each other and I think you can still pair them with the v2 models.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:32 AM   #1612
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
nor is there a way to do a firmware update to the v1. Those models are stuck in time. They will work fine with each other and I think you can still pair them with the v2 models.
Correct on both counts, but have a careful look at the features in firmware v4 -- they are very nice to have -- before deciding if the savings are worth it.

-dan
Old 06-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #1613
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
My 2nd base plate cracked............

I'm winding down a 2K mile trip durning which the Sena has performed very welll..........
Last night I noticed that my baseplate was cracked all the way thru from the front back to the contact area.
I'mpending doom for sure ... this is how my first one failed as well...........

I'll have to check warranty status when I get home, but in the mean time I headed to Lowes and got a bottle of crazy glue to heal the crack, and also found a product by Loctite "Multipurpose repair putty" it's like JB Weld for plastic. If you look at the back of the base plate there is a void in the pointy front part of the base. After the crazy glue set I filled in this void with the putty and wrapped some putty around the front of the "nose" of the base to reinforce it. I think it may hold up OK.
If / when I get another base I think I will do the putty trick as a preventative measure ....

Y'all might want to consider it...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #1614
Texcollect
Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
If you look at the back of the base plate there is a void in the pointy front part of the base. After the crazy glue set I filled in this void with the putty and wrapped some putty around the front of the "nose" of the base to reinforce it. I think it may hold up OK.
A picture is worth a 1,000 words (PLEASE!!)
Old 06-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #1615
lindavy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Laugh

Quote:
I'm glad your setup works, but I'm here to tell you that the 660 is using both HFP and A2DP in its pairing with the SMH10. So perhaps the 3GS is happy using only HFP, but I assume that means no music or functions other than cell phone calls. If you are able to hear music -- reliably -- through the phone and SMH10, then you have the only 660 I know of which will allow this.
I have the Zumo 660 an iPhone 4s laden with music and the SMH10. Both the Zumo and the phone are paired to the SMH10 (not sure about the techy stuff - they're just paired).

I happily listen to all voice instructions from the Zumo, make or take calls from the phone using the Sena, listen to my music and talk using the intercom function to my 3 friends that I ride with (they all have SMH10's as well and do the same thing.
cheers David
Old 06-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #1616
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcollect View Post
A picture is worth a 1,000 words (PLEASE!!)

I'm still on the road, as soon as I get home ... tomorrow or the next day I'll take some pictures.
It's a simple thing to do to reinforce it,
I'm pissed I didn't do it to the 2nd unit when I got it... I just wasn't thinking .....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #1617
waxrash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
550 drops connection after conference

On a recent trip to Canada, with 4 riders, all with smh10 units, all on 4.0. Phones paired to gps, gps paired to sena. After a multi unit conference (3 or 4) my zumo 550 will not reconnect. It no longer shows a headset connection. I only found two ways to get it back. Turn off bt on 550, then back on. I can also just power cycle the garmin. A true pita when you are the leader. Point to point intercom does not do this. My buddies with 660s did the same about 50% of the time. Any advice appreciated.

Btw all garmins up to date.
waxrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #1618
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxrash View Post
On a recent trip to Canada, with 4 riders, all with smh10 units, all on 4.0. Phones paired to gps, gps paired to sena. After a multi unit conference (3 or 4) my zumo 550 will not reconnect. It no longer shows a headset connection. I only found two ways to get it back. Turn off bt on 550, then back on. I can also just power cycle the garmin. A true pita when you are the leader. Point to point intercom does not do this. My buddies with 660s did the same about 50% of the time. Any advice appreciated.

Btw all garmins up to date.
I've had roughly the same experience, only in my case it drops the HFP connection to my SR10. I can always get it back by power cycling the SMH10 (slightly easier to do while riding than the zumo 660), but sometimes I can do it even more easily by placing one single (or as you called it "point to point") intercom call, then ending that manually and the HFP connection comes back.

It also makes a difference whether you are the "bridge" for the 3- or 4-way intercom (paired to two other SMH10s). If you are merely a single client in that conversation (paired to just one of them), it tends not to drop the HFP connection. So if I'm the leader, I get someone else to be the "bridge."

-dan
Old 06-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #1619
waxrash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I am sure I tried the reconnect to single intercom call and it didn't restore the headset connection. On days I was not leading, my GPS would lose the headset connection after the first conference (not to be confused with intercom 1-1). I used the SMH10 the rest of the day with many intercom calls, it never came back. (except after a gas stop and power cycle the GPS).

If you are leading a group, you are almost forced to only pair with one other SMH10 to preserve the integrity of your navigation system (assuming you like Jill warning you of upcoming turns, etc).

If anyone figures this one out, I'd love to hear it. I've opened a call to SENA, but I don't expect much.

From all the rave reviews I had read about 4.0, I had hoped it was more stable.

Lynn
waxrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:14 AM   #1620
Ken_photo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Those of you who mounted the alternate mount by adding 3M tape, did you use the indoor or outdoor (red lining) version of the tape? I'm assuming outdoor but wanted to check.
Ken_photo is offline   Reply With Quote