Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #1666
Parki77
n00b

Oddometer: 9
BMW System 6 helmet

Hi,

I have been reading through this thread (or as much as I can) and was trying to find out if anyone has one fitted to a BMW system 6 helmet.

Also I currently have a scala rider G4 which I got a company to convert so I could use my in ear speakers. I have just bought the system 6 which I was goin to put the scala rider on but one of the screws won't come out it just turns. As it was converted the warranty is void so I would have to buy a new one and then pay to get it converted again an again this what void the warranty. So my question is which is the better one?

Has all the bugs been ironed out?

Also does anyone know where I can get one in the UK?

Cheers
Parki77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #1667
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parki77 View Post
Hi,

I have been reading through this thread (or as much as I can) and was trying to find out if anyone has one fitted to a BMW system 6 helmet.

Also I currently have a scala rider G4 which I got a company to convert so I could use my in ear speakers. I have just bought the system 6 which I was goin to put the scala rider on but one of the screws won't come out it just turns. As it was converted the warranty is void so I would have to buy a new one and then pay to get it converted again an again this what void the warranty. So my question is which is the better one?

Has all the bugs been ironed out?

Also does anyone know where I can get one in the UK?

Cheers
I originally started with the Cardo Scala Q2's over 3 years ago for my wife & I. Then when my Dad wanted to join in, he got the G4 since it was backwards compatible with the Q2's and was supposed to be able to support a 3/4 way conversation. Turns out it doesn't work as well as they would like you to believe. Since he was brand new to BT communication, I had to learn how to operate the G4 so I could teach him to work it. Through the course of learning how to use the G4, I actually became pretty dissatisfied with G4 and had been following this thread closely and decided when it was time for my wife and I to upgrade, we were moving over to the Sena SMH10's instead of staying with Cardo. I was particularly impressed at how involved Sena was with firmware updates and improving functionality on the SMH10. If you look back, Cardo abandoned their G4 pretty early on and are now focusing on their G9 unit, while Sena continues to support their SMh10. Cardo obviously wants people to upgrade to their G9 now instead of adding new functionality to the G4. When Sena released V4.0 for their SMH10, that sealed the deal for me and at that time my wife and I upgraded to the SMH10's and love them. I also was very interested in Sena's SR10 which allowed me to hook up my ham radio to my setup and that was something else that helped my decision. Of course with us going over to the Sena's that left my Dad a bit disappointed since he still had his G4 and could no longer talk to us on the bikes, but after he continued to struggle with this G4, I convinced him to update to the Sena SMH10 also and it just came in this week. I'll probably be helping him get it setup this weekend.

Both the G4 and the Sena SMH10 work fine, but I personally love the jog dial concept on the SMH10 and the 2 button layout of the Sena is so much more simpler then the 5 button layout on the G4. Also with the fact the Sena supports 2 HFP proiles and 1 A2DP profile, it tends to work better with stubborn devices like the Zumo 665 that don't like sharing BT profiles.

V4.0 on the Sena SHM10 was a great firmware update and is working great for me. On top of that, you may already know that Sena sells an accessory clamp that allows you to plug in your own headset thus not voiding any warranty like you would have to do on your G4.

I can't help you with the BMW 6 helmet as I haven't tried that.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 03:51 PM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #1668
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,284
Just got my new SMH10 in the mail today. Took it out to charge and play and it looks like a solid piece of kit. Can't wait to get it on the helmet tomorrow. Seems like a definite improvement in usability over the Camos BTS 200 it replaces!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:51 AM   #1669
Parki77
n00b

Bluelightning, Thanks for your reply.

I'm leaning toward the Sena SMH10 as I can get the other clamp. As you said I would void my warranty again if I get the G9.

Does anyone know where I can get a Sena SMH10 from in the UK?

Cheers
Old 06-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #1670
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
x2 on Bluelightning's advice. Love my SMH10 and SR10.

Google Sena dealers UK and you will find that BMW dealers seem to be likely places to find their gear.

-dan
Old 06-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #1671
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
Does anyone know where I can get a Sena SMH10 from in the UK?

Cheers
Winding Roads - sell both the Sena SMH-5 and SMH-10's.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #1672
Parki77
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
x2 on Bluelightning's advice. Love my SMH10 and SR10.

Google Sena dealers UK and you will find that BMW dealers seem to be likely places to find their gear.

-dan
Thanks Dan,

Just spoke to BMW ParK Lane, London and they don't stock them anymore.

Thanks through.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #1673
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Oddometer: 1,474
What Version is the Sena up to now?

Seen some in the for sale area that are v.1 or v.2 etc...
Certified SAE J1287 sound tester
Rodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #1674
Parki77
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar View Post
Winding Roads - sell both the Sena SMH-5 and SMH-10's.

Cheers Joe,

Do you know anyone thats selling the other clamps as well?

Many Thanks
Old 06-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #1675
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzilla View Post
What Version is the Sena up to now?

Seen some in the for sale area that are v.1 or v.2 etc...
Well, there's technically 2 different "versions" of the SMH10. The first Sena SMH10's that were released are the SMH10A versions which are non-upgradeable. They have a round charging port.

Sena then released the SMH10B which is the current version with a Micro USB port and updatable firmware. The latest firmware update is v4.0.

I hope that helps.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #1676
Parki77
n00b

Does anyone know how much it will cost to import the sena from Amercia, with it work out less than here (UK).

I can't seem to find a dealer here. I contacted Sena and they said www.bikeit.co.uk was there UK dealer but I have looked at the people they surply and no one has any.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #1677
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
Does anyone know how much it will cost to import the sena from Amercia, with it work out less than here (UK).

I can't seem to find a dealer here. I contacted Sena and they said www.bikeit.co.uk was there UK dealer but I have looked at the people they surply and no one has any.
It works out no cheaper to try and import from the UK to the US by the time you add shipping, handling fees, durty and VAT. Add in no warranty and a US style plug in charger to replace then you're better off just buying in the UK. I got mine from Winding Roads who did have stocks on the shelf. Not sure which other clamps you're after but you could ask them.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #1678
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Smh 10

So I bought the SMH10.. Glad to get the wires off my helmet that connected me to the bike. I reckon I didn't research things through because now my zumo 550 does not send the xm radio wirelessly...it seems I need a dongle.?. I ordered a cheap one online and I hope this works. I am mad at myself for not knowing this beforehand. I've read that even paired with a dongle it will be mono....bummer. I have searched some to no avail...any wisdom to spread my way I'd appreciate it!
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #1679
Parki77
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar View Post
It works out no cheaper to try and import from the UK to the US by the time you add shipping, handling fees, durty and VAT. Add in no warranty and a US style plug in charger to replace then you're better off just buying in the UK. I got mine from Winding Roads who did have stocks on the shelf. Not sure which other clamps you're after but you could ask them.
Cheers Joe,

If I buy from Winding roads do I get the 2 year warranty? I'm guessing if I buy of eBay I don't?

Cheers
Old 06-29-2012, 04:33 AM   #1680
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
So I bought the SMH10.. Glad to get the wires off my helmet that connected me to the bike. I reckon I didn't research things through because now my zumo 550 does not send the xm radio wirelessly...it seems I need a dongle.?. I ordered a cheap one online and I hope this works. I am mad at myself for not knowing this beforehand. I've read that even paired with a dongle it will be mono....bummer. I have searched some to no avail...any wisdom to spread my way I'd appreciate it!

Not true on the mono. I have a WIRevo D1000 dongle plugged into the 3.5mm audio out on a Zumo 550 and get stereo XM and MP3 when connected BT to headset. Other dongles will work stereo too.