Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #166
sugarcrook
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Ordered a set from Rocketmoto and finally got a chance to try them out. First off, I'm in a Shoei X-11 and the speakers are too fat. Putting the helmet on and taking it off was torture, but once on it was fine. Tried a few phone calls which worked fine and piping in music from the iPod worked great.

Overall very happy with the set, but I need to figure out a solution for the speaker thickness. I'm going to order the earbud bracket when available.
sugarcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:57 AM   #167
Duster929
New Member!

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcrook
Ordered a set from Rocketmoto and finally got a chance to try them out. First off, I'm in a Shoei X-11 and the speakers are too fat. Putting the helmet on and taking it off was torture, but once on it was fine. Tried a few phone calls which worked fine and piping in music from the iPod worked great.

Overall very happy with the set, but I need to figure out a solution for the speaker thickness. I'm going to order the earbud bracket when available.
Any chance you can post a photo of what they look like in your X-11? I'm wondering how the inside of that helmet compares to my Shark.

--- D

Duster929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #168
Stevequest2000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Does anyone else have a problem with the sound level of the music through the Sena being too low and then the when the phone rings or calls are answered, the audio levels blow your ears? This happens to mine when I try to play music through the 3.5mm jack and through the bluetooth on my phone. I have to keep the Sena turned to max and my music devices cranked up to near max to be able to "decently" hear music.

I was going to buy a bluetooth dongle for my Nuvi since the Sena won't recognize my Garmin's bluetooth profile, but didn't want to invest anymore money if it was going to still be the horrible audio level. Anyone else use a dongle to pipe in music with good results?
Stevequest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #169
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
The volume level is set independently for those modes. Settings for music volume don't affect phone volume and vice-versa.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #170
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevequest2000
Does anyone else have a problem with the sound level of the music through the Sena being too low and then the when the phone rings or calls are answered, the audio levels blow your ears? This happens to mine when I try to play music through the 3.5mm jack and through the bluetooth on my phone. I have to keep the Sena turned to max and my music devices cranked up to near max to be able to "decently" hear music.

I was going to buy a bluetooth dongle for my Nuvi since the Sena won't recognize my Garmin's bluetooth profile, but didn't want to invest anymore money if it was going to still be the horrible audio level. Anyone else use a dongle to pipe in music with good results?
I use a dongle on my iPhone for music. The only way I can get it to work with zumo 550, and yes. Volume is much lower. I wear earplugs, so it doesn't blow my ears out. Put it this way; on the freeway, I can have the volume about 3/4 and have great volume for phone calls, voice prompts even really bad mono music from the Zumo. Music from iPhone/dongle and it's turned up all the way and can barely hear. Same is true if iPhone is paired directly to sena. If using the cable, it's a little better, but still not as high as phone, nav etc.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #171
sugarcrook
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster929
Any chance you can post a photo of what they look like in your X-11? I'm wondering how the inside of that helmet compares to my Shark.

--- D
Yeah, I'll try to take a photo tomorrow. I've found that putting the speakers farther forward and down helps.

For the volume questions, the iPod volume is independent from the phone volume. If the iPod volume is too low, turn up the volume on the iPod itself.
sugarcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #172
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 726
Re: Speaker fitment in Shoei X-11

I have successfully placed speakers in my X-11...I think much of the will work/won't work debate probably has much to do with differences in head shape, but I made it work for me.

In order to provide slightly more clearance, I placed the adhesive circles inside the helmet where I wanted the speakers to sit. Then, using the back side of a teaspoon, I pressed in a bit of the styrofoam, following the line of the circle. I ended up with circular indentations - probably not much deeper than 1/8" or so - which allows my ears to clear the speakers (barely). Less obtrusive than some of the methods I've seen so far, but it worked great (for me).
Old 05-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #173
yourashero
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster929
I haven't taken the plunge yet, but these are the two issues I'm worried about as well. Fitting the speakers in, and clamping the thing to the helmet.

Maybe people could post what kinds of helmets they're using? I'd like to fit this on a Shark RSR2 helmet, as well as my wife's Shark S800.

How big is the clamp? Does someone have a maximum helmet thickness it will work with?

--- D

I've been following this for a while and decided to join the forum. I just ordered a dual set from mrhit.com. I got it two days later and its been great.

As far as the headphones are concerned, I've been using them under the padding in my helmet. The quality is is still great like that and I don't have to worry about them shifting when I put in on. I'm using a KBC VR-2R helmet. My friend who uses the other one does the same with his helmet. I'm not sure what brand.
yourashero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #174
no2opec
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Took the Sena Plunge...My Short Review

Ordered from mrhit for 159.00 and it arrived in 2 days so cannot argue with that.
Have it paired to Garmin 665 and then to old Razr phone paired to Zumo...I think?
Anyway,it does do a great job of streaming A2DP via XM. I mean a real good job and the Garmin works well in that arena. The helmet speakers are not as good as the Torx Pro helmet speakers but I will give them an OK rating up to 70 mph. My V-Strom is noisy. The phone is kind of a hit and miss. If I am standing still it is clear as a bell and at 35mph it is ok. Past 40mph and it goes down hill. Has anyone else experienced this? Never used a Bluetooth on anything so am I asking too much to be able to carry on a cell conversation @65mph? Will keep experimenting with different mike positions and other mods too help. Maybe. Oh,BTW the 665 is awesome but it is an unstable POS...but I do love it. Gives me something to %$# with on those long rides.
no2opec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #175
push_bars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
For the 665 I have found turning the bluetooth off/on works wonders for clearing things up. After phonecalls and occasionally other times a little help is needed to keep the audio flowing. At first I though turning the Sena on/off would fix things but in the end it is the Zumo that needs help.
push_bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #176
no2opec
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Can you use your cell at high speeds?
no2opec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #177
push_bars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Not really ... my F800GS does not have much in the way of wind protection though and when the wife calls she complains that she can't hear until I slow down. Generally this is not so bad since I prefer to pull over anyways and she can hear enough to hold on till I get stopped.
push_bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:05 AM   #178
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by push_bars
For the 665 I have found turning the bluetooth off/on works wonders for clearing things up. After phonecalls and occasionally other times a little help is needed to keep the audio flowing. At first I though turning the Sena on/off would fix things but in the end it is the Zumo that needs help.
If you are talking about the audio 'skipping', where you just hear short snippets of sound every few seconds, get in touch with Sena support. When I had this issue with my first set they sent out new ones immediately, without me even having to fill out an RMA myself or anything.

I was amazed at their level of support, and feel a bit bad that it took me so long to ship my original faulty units back to them.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #179
splat matt
::.::::..::.:::.::::

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke
If you are talking about the audio 'skipping', where you just hear short snippets of sound every few seconds, get in touch with Sena support. When I had this issue with my first set they sent out new ones immediately, without me even having to fill out an RMA myself or anything.

I was amazed at their level of support, and feel a bit bad that it took me so long to ship my original faulty units back to them.

I have had this happen a couple of times myself (my version is v .1.2.0 posted in the lower right of the white label).
What version did you send back to them (the problem unit) and what version did they replace it with?

Old 06-07-2010, 01:43 AM   #180
kinkster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
My Sena's just arrived

Just got my pair of Sena's this morning, got them from Adam at Rocketmoto and his communication and service was excellent.
I must admit I hardly glanced at the instructions as all looked pretty self explanatory, so I fitted the first unit to my Shoe X11 helmet.
Now I'm no rocket scientist,but Ive heard people say they have had difficulties with fitting both the unit(using the clamp method) and the speakers to an X11, I on the other hand must have a different X11 as it was all done and completely as its described in the blurb(I read it after) In no more than 10 minutes.
I then fitted same to my Shoe DS Hornet helmet and all went the same as above.
I then charged both units completely, then turned them on, paired them to each other and paired my Iphone 3GS to one of them.
I then put on the X11, made a phone call and played a couple of tracks of music.
All sounded terrific and worked better than I expected, all this was done at home, mind, so I haven't used them on the bike or to speak with each other, so I suppose the next test is to pair one with my Zumo 550 and see how that goes. Will keep you all posted, but at this stage I could not be happier with the units and the service from Rocketmoto.
Robbi