Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2010, 03:29 AM   #181
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattme
I have had this happen a couple of times myself (my version is v .1.2.0 posted in the lower right of the white label).
What version did you send back to them (the problem unit) and what version did they replace it with?

I had a pair of v 1.2.0 sets originally, they were the ones with the issue.

My new sets, believe it or not, have no version numbers at all:
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:07 AM   #182
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke
If you are talking about the audio 'skipping', where you just hear short snippets of sound every few seconds, get in touch with Sena support. When I had this issue with my first set they sent out new ones immediately, without me even having to fill out an RMA myself or anything.

I was amazed at their level of support, and feel a bit bad that it took me so long to ship my original faulty units back to them.
I have used mine for several weeks and about 1500kms so far. I have had a couple of occasions where when I fire up the units and jump back on the bike and fire up the iPod, there will be a few minutes where occasionally the audio will drop. After a while, it settles out. It's just like the other poster said - the audio just doesn't quite "flow" as well initially, like it takes some time for the bluetooth to stabilize.

This is so infrequent that I don't think it's a problem with my unit(s), just a feature of the occasional instability of Bluetooth.

Still loving the Senas. For *me* (and that's an important distinction), the audio quality is nowhere near good enough to want to listen to music (not loud enough, tinny, distorts - although I suppose if I were riding behind a completely quiet fairing it would be ok - R1200RT for example - I ride essentially open bikes with no windshield), but it is fantastically clear for dialogue, phone conversations, and comm-to-comm talking with my son in the sidecar.

I listened for hours to podcasts of "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!" on the way home from Vermont last week, and interspersed with phone conversations and chatting with my son, it worked beautifully for that kind of medium.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #183
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,981
Helmet speakers..... They're just not for me. I cut them off and soldered on a plug. Fortunately, I had a zumo starcom headset cable I could cut off so it was easy.

When cutting the Sena speakers, you're left with a white and red wire. VERY thin gauge and the hardest part was stripping the wire. This is the first time I've done something like this, and it doesn't look pretty, but it's functional. I've got 200 miles on the setup and it works great. I get a funny buzzing noise every once in a while and I don't know why. I could make it do it sometimes before taping it all up, but not always. Go figure. For this reason, if it becomes too annoying, I'll probably go for the Sena version if/when it comes out.

Before

After
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #184
splat matt
::.::::..::.:::.::::

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
I had a pair of v 1.2.0 sets originally, they were the ones with the issue.

My new sets, believe it or not, have no version numbers at all:

So did you have to return the headsets and mounts as well or just the bluetooth control unit?
Old 06-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #185
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattme
So did you have to return the headsets and mounts as well or just the bluetooth control unit?
They sent out full replacement kits, but I only took out the bluetooth dongles, replaced them in the boxes and shipped 'em on out (on Sena's dime).
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #186
no2opec
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by push_bars
Not really ... my F800GS does not have much in the way of wind protection though and when the wife calls she complains that she can't hear until I slow down. Generally this is not so bad since I prefer to pull over anyways and she can hear enough to hold on till I get stopped.
Same here. Sometimes cell does work at speeds which leaves me still testing.
I have improved some consistency at 50mph+ with mike relocation and visor adjustment but still hit and miss at speed.
Since all other functions with GPS,prompts,XM work so darn good I believe it is a bluetooth thing or my 4 year old Razr. I e-mailed Sena and still waiting for reply. Maybe a faulty mike or User headspace?
no2opec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:53 AM   #187
splat matt
::.::::..::.:::.::::

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
They sent out full replacement kits, but I only took out the bluetooth dongles, replaced them in the boxes and shipped 'em on out (on Sena's dime).
Did the whole transaction through email - fast and easy RMA. They sending the new units out this week all at their expense! Great customer service!
Old 06-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #188
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Anyone heard updates from Sena on the new earbud version? They were initially talking avail by late May.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #189
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578
Anyone heard updates from Sena on the new earbud version? They were initially talking avail by late May.
Now that I hacked mine it'll come out next week I'm sure
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:03 PM   #190
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578

Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #191
Slider5150
n00b

Oddometer: 1
static

I got my Sena double set in today from RadioRider.com today. Great price and quick ship. I ordered on Wednesday, arrived on Saturday! I put both helmet sets on and tried them out. BTW, these don't have version numbers, but the serial numbers start at 1005 so I think these are, as RadioRider stated, the most current versions. I mounted one set into my Arai Corsair V helmet, and the other into my gf's Arai Quantum 2. Both helmets let me use the clamp style mount, although the Corsair V was easier. I had to pry and look a little on the Quantum 2 for a "pocket" between the shell and liner to slide the clamp into. Fit nicely though. The ear pockets in both helmets were plenty big enough that neither of us can feel the speakers. My lips are touching the mic but I do like tighter helmets. My gf can't feel her mic. Music through the speakers is great. Many folks have mentioned that the bass response gets better if ya move the speakers a bit farther away from the ears. My speakers started centered at the top of my ears in the bottom of the ear cavity in my helmet and sounded quite good, so I didn't screw with them. The adhesive on the back of the velcro for the speakers really had set up on the fabric lining my helmet too. :) Pairing the two units couldn't have been easier.

Only complaint/question I have is that, with the two of us sitting on the couch with our helmets on and linked (looking like total idiots no doubt) we had some scratchy static while using the intercom. Not bad, but I didn't expect it. Any thoughts?
Slider5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #192
BikesRfun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Anyone mount the Sena on an Arai Vector helmet yet? Would like to hear about the install & speaker/ear clearance.
BikesRfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:05 PM   #193
push_bars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Thumb

Works perfect on a small vector. Pull the cheek pads, thread the speakers through between the liner/shell, position the clamp on the side so that the rubber lip on the bottom of the helmet slots in the groove on the clamp and tighten down. I did not attach the speakers I just pulled the elastic liner back and dropped them in each cheek pad side then put everything back together. No clearance issues with my ears. The boom mic is just off my lips but does get moved around a little bit when I pull the helmet on.
push_bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:51 AM   #194
Duster929
New Member!

Oddometer: 195
I should be getting mine at the end of this week or beginning of next. I'll let you know how they fit in a Shark RSR2, which is a racing helmet, and a Shark S800, which is a more middle-of-the-road model. They're both fairly narrow, without ear/speaker pockets. We shall see....

--- D

Duster929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:33 AM   #195
Serp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Dual kit install and testing

Got ours about a week ago from MrHit.com (before they went out of stock). I would have ordered from Rocketmoto given their level of service and support to the group here but they were honest and told me I likely wouldn't have them in the time frame I was looking for.

Clamped the unit to my wifes Scorpion 400 without any trouble. I ended up repositioning the unit after the first test ride - needed to get the mic up closer to her mouth. I used 3M exterior mounting tape (thanks Mattme) to mount the speakers and the mic.

I had to use the glued Surface Mounting Adaptor for my Arai RX7 since the clamp wouldn't work. This worked so well that it broke in several places when I pried it off (had to reposition for the mic as well). I sent in a request to Sena for a replacement but luckily I had my wife's spare adaptor to use. I am still fiddling with my speaker placement but the one's in my wife's Scorpion positioned perfectly on the first try.

The intercom works well between us at lower speeds under about 90 kmh and within about 1/2 a km on the twistier roads. Above this and there is at lot of wind noise and some static/crackling - we'll be trying chin guards next ride to see if this helps with the wind noise at higher speeds. Regardless we both like how they work. We haven't tried the VOX mode yet but in the "always-on" default mode, we can tap the jog dial once to "go quiet" and either rider can tap once to re-establish the connection.

I have listened to music through my iPhone 3GS and it works great. Haven't taken any calls yet on the bike but it worked great during testing at the house!
Serp is offline   Reply With Quote