Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #1936
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
I did the next best thing [g]: I use an SR10. With the zumo 660 hardwired to the SR10 (along with a Valentine radar detector), the SR10 uses one HFP slot in my SMH10. Then my iPhone uses the other HFP plus the A2DP slot and everything works well.

Thanks,

-dan
Valentine? Very nice. If I ever get my luggage sorted the radar detector and an SM10 is next on the list. Still waiting on someone to design a motorcycle GPS thats worth a crap as well. How hard can it be?
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #1937
NestorK
Artiface Artisan

Oddometer: 13,278
I currently have the SMH10, Zumo 660 and an iPhone3gs. I'm considering an upgrade to the iPhone 5, but was wondering which other phones play nice(r) with the Sena and Zumo via bluetooth.

'Cos I got the burning fire in the bed of my soul
NestorK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #1938
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by NestorK View Post
I currently have the SMH10, Zumo 660 and an iPhone3gs. I'm considering an upgrade to the iPhone 5, but was wondering which other phones play nice(r) with the Sena and Zumo via bluetooth.
The iPhone 4S does ... ;-)

Love that I can just tell Siri to navigate somewhere while riding. And it actually works, interesting enough. Might have something to do with the fact that the Palmer windshield is significantly less noisy than stock. I was able to make a phone call while going roughly 60mph - and the other side barely noticed that I was on a bike.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #1939
pwrslider
#1 longest lurking n00b

Oddometer: 65
iphone 5

I've been trying for the past few days to make my iphone 5 play nice with my smh10 and zumo 550......so far, they don't like each other!

The i5 pairs to the zumo..loads up the address books and such...makes a call but I hear nothing...( the person I call just hears dead air.) When I get an incoming call...the smh10 kicks in..I can hear ringing...answer the call..I hear voice...but they can't hear me.

I have a ticket in with Sena....I'll let you know what I find out...

ps...everything worked just fine with my samsung droid!
pwrslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #1940
Dirt Diver
Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrslider View Post
I've been trying for the past few days to make my iphone 5 play nice with my smh10 and zumo 550......so far, they don't like each other!

The i5 pairs to the zumo..loads up the address books and such...makes a call but I hear nothing...( the person I call just hears dead air.) When I get an incoming call...the smh10 kicks in..I can hear ringing...answer the call..I hear voice...but they can't hear me.

I have a ticket in with Sena....I'll let you know what I find out...

ps...everything worked just fine with my samsung droid!
I'm having the same thing with my iPhone 4 and Zummo 550. Haven't had time to play about with it yet.
01 VFR800 Sold and missed.
Adventurers like it dirty!
Dirt Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:48 AM   #1941
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto View Post
Dave:

Is the Sena paired to anything else? A phone or MP3 player perhaps? The Zumo 660 isn't happy multi-point pairing (or wasn't the last time I tried it, anyway) - pairing the Zumo take up both BT profiles in the Sena headset.

If the Zumo is the only thing you're pairing the Sena headset to I'd do this - Reset the Sena to factory defaults, which also clears out any pairings. Then delete any pairings in the Zumo.

Put the Sena in pairing mode, (oblong phone button pressed 5 seconds until the red/blue light flashes). The put the Zumo in to discoverable mode. The Zumo should find the Sena SMH10 v4.0. You will enter code 0000 on the Zumo to complete the pairing.

If you did this, and it fails, try pairing the Sena to a mobile phone that has MP3 music capability and let us know if that works, then at least you know the Sena will pair up OK.

Also on your Zumo, have you updated the firmware recently? If not, you may want to give that a shot.
Adam,
Thanks for the guidance. I was unable to check back during the trip, which is now over, but I would like to sort this out. By the way, the new Sena's worked very well! Thanks for your help in getting us setup in time.

Regarding pairing the 660, I do have latest firmware for the Zumo, and it appears to support the 2 profiles (HFP and A2DP), and allows for separate pairing. Here's the screen sequence when I attempt to pair with Sena in multipoint mode:

Clicking on PHONE above results in:

Then put Sena in multipoint pairing mode and press OK on the 660. After a few moments the 660 finds Sena:

Pressing OK on the 660 screen above produces the following screen momentarily:

But that screen is replaced within about 1 second, before I can press OK, with this screen:

Sena is at v4.0, and has been paired with an iPod Touch which I used on the trip without an issue, but not with another phone up to this point. I may try to reset the Sena and try again. It seems like this is a bug, as was noted by others already. I'll probably open a ticket with Garmin and Sena to see what they say.
Corvette Manuals for sale
sonic578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #1942
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,041
Shouldn't you be choosing Audio instead of Phone on the Zumo?

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #1943
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
Adam,
Thanks for the guidance. I was unable to check back during the trip, which is now over, but I would like to sort this out. By the way, the new Sena's worked very well! Thanks for your help in getting us setup in time.

Regarding pairing the 660, I do have latest firmware for the Zumo, and it appears to support the 2 profiles (HFP and A2DP), and allows for separate pairing. Here's the screen sequence when I attempt to pair with Sena in multipoint mode: ...

... Sena is at v4.0, and has been paired with an iPod Touch which I used on the trip without an issue, but not with another phone up to this point. I may try to reset the Sena and try again. It seems like this is a bug, as was noted by others already. I'll probably open a ticket with Garmin and Sena to see what they say.
There are two reasons why it failed. 1) The zumo 660 does not support selective pairing. Regardless of which device you try to pair it with, the zumo will "insist" on occupying one HFP and one A2DP slot. 2) It won't pair to the Sena as a phone. You need to use the Audio button, as already noted. But it still will not allow any other device to use A2DP with the Sena and will fail if you try to use selective pairing.

I tried all of this eight ways to Sunday and ended up using an SR10 with the zumo hardwired, which allows me to turn off the 660's badly designed, unreliable BT altogether [g].

-dan
Old 09-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #1944
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,998
Just when it's working correct I go and screw it up.
Upgraded to 4.1.1 last week. (yes, I reset it back to factory, removed pairing from phone, etc)
Switched intercom to VOX.
Now I can't here music from my phone, and when I push the phone button, I hear "say a command" but when I do the phone does nothing. It still works to dial with fingers, just not voice.

Guess when I get home I got to reset it to factory defaults again and start over.
but first I will turn off intercom VOX (it don't work without yelling at it anyway) and see if that setting was the problem.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #1945
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Just when it's working correct I go and screw it up.
Upgraded to 4.1.1 last week. (yes, I reset it back to factory, removed pairing from phone, etc)
Switched intercom to VOX.
Now I can't here music from my phone, and when I push the phone button, I hear "say a command" but when I do the phone does nothing. It still works to dial with fingers, just not voice.

Guess when I get home I got to reset it to factory defaults again and start over.
but first I will turn off intercom VOX (it don't work without yelling at it anyway) and see if that setting was the problem.
Do not beat yourself up ...............
I think it took my dad 25 years or better to plant the seed in my brain that:
"If it is not broken I shouldn't try to fix it" ...
Then after that it took another 10 or 15 years for the seed to germinate.........
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:24 AM   #1946
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
There are two reasons why it failed. 1) The zumo 660 does not support selective pairing. Regardless of which device you try to pair it with, the zumo will "insist" on occupying one HFP and one A2DP slot. 2) It won't pair to the Sena as a phone. You need to use the Audio button, as already noted. But it still will not allow any other device to use A2DP with the Sena and will fail if you try to use selective pairing.

I tried all of this eight ways to Sunday and ended up using an SR10 with the zumo hardwired, which allows me to turn off the 660's badly designed, unreliable BT altogether [g].

-dan
Dan and Wood,
Thanks for the replies. First, I chose "phone" because I thought multipoint pairing on the sena would only support dual HFP profiles (not dual A2DP's), per sec. 6.3.1 in the latest User's Guide, and I assumed that turn-by-turn directions would be provided via the HFP profile. I was also basing this on (i.e., mislead by) "case 2" in the Sena guide. But your (dan) statement that Zumo occupies both profiles regardless of which button is pressed would explain the problem I am seeing.

Sena's 2011 video tutorial (pre-v4.0) shows pairing the phone to the 660 using HFP ("phone"), and then pairing the 660 to Sena using A2DP ("audio"). This won't work for me since the mp3 player in the 660 is quite lame (being kind here).

I was able at one point to get the phone (DroidX) paired with the 660 in HFP mode, and the phone's media was paired with Sena in A2DP mode. This allowed the 660 to place calls (bring up a hotel and click on the phone number on the 660), with the audio going through Sena. In this setup I could start / stop music and skip songs, and media would play through Sena.

This is sort of what I was after, with a couple of problems. The whole point was to get turn-by-turn directions routed into the Sena, which this would not do... those seem to be tied to the 660 "audio" profile, not the "phone" profile. Second, since the DroidX HFP is tied to the 660, Sena's phone button was not usable. I gained being able to click on a number in the 660, but lost all the smartphone voice navigation, like speaking a number to dial, or issuing voice commands to say play a certain playlist.

In the end, I too am frustrated with this, but chalk it up to the 660 being old enough to give it a pass - after all, it is a discontinued product. I wonder if the newer Montana is any better?

Dan, it seems odd that Garmin would provide 2 pairing buttons that do the same thing? And the other odd part is that Sena would include this scenario in the latest user's guide (see case 2)?

sonic578 screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 05:11 PM
Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #1947
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
Dan and Wood,
Thanks for the replies. First, I chose "phone" because I thought multipoint pairing on the sena would only support dual HFP profiles (not dual A2DP's), per sec. 6.3.1 in the latest User's Guide, and I assumed that turn-by-turn directions would be provided via the HFP profile. I was also basing this on (i.e., mislead by) "case 2" in the Sena guide. But your (dan) statement that Zumo occupies both profiles regardless of which button is pressed would explain the problem I am seeing.

Sena's 2011 video tutorial (pre-v4.0) shows pairing the phone to the 660 using HFP ("phone"), and then pairing the 660 to Sena using A2DP ("audio"). This won't work for me since the mp3 player in the 660 is quite lame (being kind here).

I was able at one point to get the phone (DroidX) paired with the 660 in HFP mode, and the phone's media was paired with Sena in A2DP mode. This allowed the 660 to place calls (bring up a hotel and click on the phone number on the 660), with the audio going through Sena. In this setup I could start / stop music and skip songs, and media would play through Sena.

This is sort of what I was after, with a couple of problems. The whole point was to get turn-by-turn directions routed into the Sena, which this would not do... those seem to be tied to the 660 "audio" profile, not the "phone" profile. Second, since the DroidX HFP is tied to the 660, Sena's phone button was not usable. I gained being able to click on a number in the 660, but lost all the smartphone voice navigation, like speaking a number to dial, or issuing voice commands to say play a certain playlist.

In the end, I too am frustrated with this, but chalk it up to the 660 being old enough to give it a pass - after all, it is a discontinued product. I wonder if the newer Montana is any better?

This is doubly frustrating both that Garmin didn't get it right on the 660 (which I sort of give them a pass on given that the 660 was introduced back i (assuming HFP is what Garmin means by "phone", and A2DP is "audio"?). In any case, I did not want to use up A2DP on the zumo for turn-by-turn; A2DP would be for the mp3 player in the phone.

Dan, it seems odd that Garmin would provide 2 pairing buttons that do the same thing? And the other odd part is that Sena would include this scenario in the latest user's guide (see case 2)?
Dave,

Odd and confusing add up to misleading, but that's life with Bluetooth [g]. You are correct that the Sena using multipoint supports two HFP and one A2DP profile. You will not be able to "cross-pair" a smartphone to both the zumo and Sena unless the phone allows multiple simultaneous pairings along with selective pairing (ie turn off HFP or A2DP in each, as appropriate). I don't think many (any?) phones allow this, but I'm no expert on the phone market.

The short (though inadequate) explanation for the two button issue is that the zumo 660 interprets "Audio" as an outbound connection (music and directions to your SMH 10 for ex.) and "Phone" as both in- and outbound. So my guess is that the zumo uses one HFP (Hands Free Profile) slot for Phone and one A2DP (Advanced Stereo Audio Distribution Profile) for Audio.

There may be other ways to skin this cat, but the only one I could make work reliably was to buy an SR10 hub and have that connect via HFP to the helmet. My zumo is plugged in to the SR10 (along with my Valentine radar detector). Then I pair my iPhone directly to the helmet (using the 2nd HFP slot and the A2DP slot) and get music and full call/dial/voice functions. In other words, the SR10 allows two things: making the entire zumo audio stream into a mono, narrow bandwidth HFP connection, and shutting off the zumo's somewhat flaky Bluetooth.

-dan

danham screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 06:54 AM
danham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #1948
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Dave,

Odd and confusing add up to misleading, but that's life with Bluetooth [g]. You are correct that the Sena using multipoint supports two HFP and one A2DP profile. You will not be able to "cross-pair" a smartphone to both the zumo and Sena unless the phone allows multiple simultaneous pairings along with selective pairing (ie turn off HFP or A2DP in each, as appropriate). I don't think many (any?) phones allow this, but I'm no expert on the phone market.

The short (though inadequate) explanation for the two button issue is that the zumo 660 interprets "Audio" as an outbound connection (music and directions to your SMH 10 for ex.) and "Phone" as both in- and outbound. So my guess is that the zumo uses one HFP (Hands Free Profile) slot for Phone and one A2DP (Advanced Stereo Audio Distribution Profile) for Audio.

There may be other ways to skin this cat, but the only one I could make work reliably was to buy an SR10 hub and have that connect via HFP to the helmet. My zumo is plugged in to the SR10 (along with my Valentine radar detector). Then I pair my iPhone directly to the helmet (using the 2nd HFP slot and the A2DP slot) and get music and full call/dial/voice functions. In other words, the SR10 allows two things: making the entire zumo audio stream into a mono, narrow bandwidth HFP connection, and shutting off the zumo's somewhat flaky Bluetooth.

-dan
Dan,
That (SR10) sounds like a good solution, given the flakiness of the zumo. As for the Droid, it does allow you to select which profile(s) to use for a given pairing. For example, the phone can pair on both A2DP and HFP, and you can then go to "options" on that pairing and check/uncheck whichever you want to use for future pairings. Nice feature of Android. In fact I generally prefer to use A2DP for an older iPod Touch, and just let the phone do HFP, until just recently when I discovered the ability of the phone to allow voice selection of playlists. Very nice to be able to swap from music over to podcasts when on a long ride.

OK, enough rambling. Thanks for your inputs / clarifications. I may take a look at the SR10 now.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #1949
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

My pleasure. I think I wasn't clear about the phone pairing, plus I'm in over my head, having only observed 'droid stuff on my pal's setup. With that caveat, I was trying to say that even though some phones do allow selective (HFP/A2DP on/off) options, I'm not aware of any that allow them to be paired to two devices at once, which is why the Sena SMH10, with its multipoint pairings, is such a big deal.

But I'd defer to others with more phone cred.

-dan
Old 10-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #1950
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
My pleasure. I think I wasn't clear about the phone pairing, plus I'm in over my head, having only observed 'droid stuff on my pal's setup. With that caveat, I was trying to say that even though some phones do allow selective (HFP/A2DP on/off) options, I'm not aware of any that allow them to be paired to two devices at once, which is why the Sena SMH10, with its multipoint pairings, is such a big deal.

But I'd defer to others with more phone cred.

-dan
Actually on the droid's I've owned, you can split the BT connection between two different devices simultaneously as long as its 2 different profiles being used. You can't be paired to 2 headsets both on HFP connections, but you could basically connect your droid to the A2DP connection of the Sena SMH10 for music and at the same time be paired to a GPS over the HFP connection for phone calls and stuff.

A good example of this would be with the Zumo 550 since its only HFP only. Pair the droid to the Zumo 550 for phone only and the Zumo to the Sena SMH10 for HFP, but the droid directly to the Sena SMH10 for A2DP music.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote