User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #2116
montanaman
Traveler

Oddometer: 171
Just hooked mine and loving it !!

Got the new "dual pack" Sena 10 and the additional clip on clamp for in-ear buds. Hooked up one to my wife's HJC open face and the other version to my Shoei Qwest in no time and they really work great. I am running mine through my Zumo 665. I-phone works, inter-com works and most importantly I can stream MP3 music through my Zumo into the Sena and into my Shure ear-buds. The simple tap of the jog button to activate the intercom is super efficient and waaayyyy better that than the Scala rider ( G4) I have had for 2 years. So far I am a happy customer. More to follow but day one and I think its a great set up.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #2117
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman View Post
Got the new "dual pack" Sena 10 and the additional clip on clamp for in-ear buds. Hooked up one to my wife's HJC open face and the other version to my Shoei Qwest in no time and they really work great. I am running mine through my Zumo 665. I-phone works, inter-com works and most importantly I can stream MP3 music through my Zumo into the Sena and into my Shure ear-buds. The simple tap of the jog button to activate the intercom is super efficient and waaayyyy better that than the Scala rider ( G4) I have had for 2 years. So far I am a happy customer. More to follow but day one and I think its a great set up.

Montanaman,
I am looking forward to hearing how this works out for you.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:31 AM   #2118
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

I'm curious to know how these units perform at highway speeds of around 70 or so. Specifically how well do the head sets work or for those of you using the ear bud option, how is that working out. I'm thinking about buying a set for my riding buddy and I, but our previous experience with communication has been less than stellar. We've not had much success above about 40 MPH.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:41 AM   #2119
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I'm curious to know how these units perform at highway speeds of around 70 or so. Specifically how well do the head sets work or for those of you using the ear bud option, how is that working out. I'm thinking about buying a set for my riding buddy and I, but our previous experience with communication has been less than stellar. We've not had much success above about 40 MPH.
My experience: With custom molded ear speakers they work great in all conditions. With off the shelf, pretty well. The custom molded units do blank out a lot of road noise and surrounding noise, so may not be good if a car is behind you with flashing lights and sirens going. Not strictly legal to drive within ear speakers in all areas of US.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:41 AM   #2120
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
If hearing the audio is a concern, earbuds should remove 100% of the problem. I have no trouble hearing GPS or intercom with the OEM speakers supplied with the Sena SMH-10 at speeds of 60, 70, or even a little higher, unless there are other factors involved, such as buffeting or major gusts or heavy rain. And that's with foam ear protectors in place.

Of more concern is how much wind noise the mic picks up. This is so dependent on individual helmet and gear configurations (even small changes like how far up my jacket is zipped make a difference) that it's hard to generalize. But I find that if my mic is tucked in nicely inside my Shoei full-coverage helmet and properly positioned relative to my mouth, others have no problem hearing me on intercom. But if you have a naked bike, open face helmet and loud pipes [g], I can't say how well any of this would work.

The one place my setup fails at speeds much over 55 is voice dialing, which requires low background noise to work. But I rarely use the phone while moving.

-dan
Old 12-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #2121
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
I only have the units with speakers. No problem with communicating to other people or hearing GPS, etc. at any speed, but voice dialing is not very reliable at higher speeds (50+)
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:42 AM   #2122
FireIdiot
Lost in translation

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
I can't hear my Sena speakers very well over 50mph. So I switched to earbuds. I have not tried my stock speakers since the last firmware update that was supposed to address some of those concerns. I have been using Sony in the ear ones and Skull candy Ink'd is my other go to pair. As far as the legality of it, my state says that you can have them for "communication" purposes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
FireIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #2123
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,545
The speakers work fine for communication but are lacking for music, the ear buds version is great for long days on the road but a pain if my helmet is going to be coming on and off a lot. I switch back and forth depending on the ride, day ride with passenger and a lot of stopping then the speakers. Long rides with other bikes not much stopping and need music, communication and the ability to take call if required the ear buds work best and also cut wind and road noise.

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #2124
FireIdiot
Lost in translation

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38 View Post
The speakers work fine for communication but are lacking for music, the ear buds version is great for long days on the road but a pain if my helmet is going to be coming on and off a lot. I switch back and forth depending on the ride, day ride with passenger and a lot of stopping then the speakers. Long rides with other bikes not much stopping and need music, communication and the ability to take call if required the ear buds work best and also cut wind and road noise.
How do you switch between them? I wish there was a way to have the speakers on a 1/8 inch jack so I could plug them in if I didn't want to use the earbuds.

FireIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #2125
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
I put a plug on mine a yr ago so I could go either way. Works great, I put a female coming from the unit and male on the speakers. I did not change anything else and earbuds are not overpowered. I use this unit everyday and very happy with it. Speakers for intown and earbuds on the road. In helmet (shoei) speakers not worth beans above 60 on my rt
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #2126
catalina38
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireIdiot View Post
How do you switch between them? I wish there was a way to have the speakers on a 1/8 inch jack so I could plug them in if I didn't want to use the earbuds.

I have the mounting base for each of them, the speakers attach with velcro inside the helmet padding and are easily removed. They come with the speaker base and the ear buds base are purchased separate.

KTM 990R 500EXC
Old 12-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #2127
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38 View Post
I have the mounting base for each of them, the speakers attach with velcro inside the helmet padding and are easily removed. They come with the speaker base and the ear buds base are purchased separate.
What kind of helmet are you using ?
Old 12-31-2012, 04:21 PM   #2128
catalina38
Contrarian

Quote:
What kind of helmet are you using ?
Arai XD and XD3

KTM 990R 500EXC
Old 12-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #2129
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,804
I don't have problems hearing at speeds (I don't really go over 70 anyway).

but the voice dial starts to not work well above 45 mph.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #2130
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
My guess is your previous experience was probably something like FRS radios with motocomm headsets or something similar? I tried that route also and had the same experience. Anything faster than 40 was useless.

I can tell you that the BT intercoms work way better. My wife and I started with the Scala Q2's and they worked awesome for over 3 years. I was amazed at how easily we could carry on a conversation on the highway at 70-80 MPH just like we were sitting next to each other in a car. We have since moved to the Sena SMH-10's and are just as happy with these units. Dan Ham gave some good advice that everyone's setups affect things a bit, but overall you should have no issues. My wife has a Ducati Monster 696 and Yamaha XT225, both naked bikes with no windshields and I can hear her fine. I can tell there is more wind noise, but nothing overwhelming.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote