Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #2131
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
My guess is your previous experience was probably something like FRS radios with motocomm headsets or something similar? I tried that route also and had the same experience. Anything faster than 40 was useless.

I can tell you that the BT intercoms work way better. My wife and I started with the Scala Q2's and they worked awesome for over 3 years. I was amazed at how easily we could carry on a conversation on the highway at 70-80 MPH just like we were sitting next to each other in a car. We have since moved to the Sena SMH-10's and are just as happy with these units. Dan Ham gave some good advice that everyone's setups affect things a bit, but overall you should have no issues. My wife has a Ducati Monster 696 and Yamaha XT225, both naked bikes with no windshields and I can hear her fine. I can tell there is more wind noise, but nothing overwhelming.
Actually we did start out with cheap FSR radios and then went to Q2's. Part of the problem is my buddy is a low volume mumbler. The other problem is my hearing isn't what it used to be, (just ask my wife).
Most of my use will be solo riding. I want to be able to listen. To music, use my phone, and use my zumo 550. But, when my buddy and I do ride together, it need to work. Any.Comments or suggestions are appreciated
Old 01-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #2132
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,837
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Actually we did start out with cheap FSR radios and then went to Q2's. Part of the problem is my buddy is a low volume mumbler. The other problem is my hearing isn't what it used to be, (just ask my wife).
Most of my use will be solo riding. I want to be able to listen. To music, use my phone, and use my zumo 550. But, when my buddy and I do ride together, it need to work. Any.Comments or suggestions are appreciated
Keep in mind speaker placement is critical. The difference of a couple mm makes a huge difference. And the further under the helmet liner you are, the harder it is to hear. Now with that said, the Q2 speakers were definitely not as loud as the Sena speakers. On the Q2's, I had found some speaker cushions from a type of headset that allowed the speakers to sit very close to your ears, channeled the sound right in and still be very comfy. I have found on the Sena speakers that I didn't have to be as critical with the speaker placement although its still very important to get them as close to your ear canal as possible. Of course Sena has the ear bud mounts which totally eliminate that issue all together by using custom molded ear plugs or some high quality ear buds.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #2133
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,130
Sounds like you need a SMH-10 with this baseplate then

http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/acc_SMH-A0303.php

I use that one and really like it.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #2134
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Keep in mind speaker placement is critical. The difference of a couple mm makes a huge difference. And the further under the helmet liner you are, the harder it is to hear. Now with that said, the Q2 speakers were definitely not as loud as the Sena speakers. On the Q2's, I had found some speaker cushions from a type of headset that allowed the speakers to sit very close to your ears, channeled the sound right in and still be very comfy. I have found on the Sena speakers that I didn't have to be as critical with the speaker placement although its still very important to get them as close to your ear canal as possible. Of course Sena has the ear bud mounts which totally eliminate that issue all together by using custom molded ear plugs or some high quality ear buds.

Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with the need for speaker and mike placement. I did some time in the Army in helicopters. One thing that attracted me to the Senas was the ability to use ear buds.I have a set of Klipsch S4a's that I am planning on using.
I have been told that I won't be able to get music, GPS, and phone. Supposedly I can only access gps and phone. How can I add music to the mix ?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #2135
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,130
Play it through your phone.

Sent from my iPhone
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #2136
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Klipsch x10 earbuds are tops. Best sound I found yet for my sena
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #2137
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,128
Quote:
Keep in mind speaker placement is critical....
+1 having the center of the speaker centered over the ear canal and also "shimmed out" if needed is important.
To see is speakers are centered turn on the system and rotate the helmet up/down left/right and see if you notice sound getting louder/softer.

I've turned my F650GS twin into a "naked" bike and have not issues hearing/talking at speed even up to 70-75mph
I do have the Shoei Qwest helmet which is one of the quieter models
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #2138
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
I have been told that I won't be able to get music, GPS, and phone. Supposedly I can only access gps and phone. How can I add music to the mix ?
Depends on the setup. The Sena SMH10 has 2 HFP connections & 1 A2DP. (HFP is normally for the GPS & phone, while A2DP is stereo music) If your phone supports both HFP & A2DP and you plan on using your phone for music, then no problem and that still leaves another HFP connection for the GPS.

The one notable exception to this is the Zumo 660 which likes to hog both the HFP & A2DP connection which only leaves the HFP for your phone hence no music through your phone.

If you are planning on a stand alone music player, there's ways to make that work too, just depends on what devices you'll be connecting.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #2139
montanaman
Traveler

Oddometer: 171
Update..

So day 2 with the new set up. The SMH10's "pair" way easier than Scala's. The ear-bud set up in my helmet is great. My wife has the regular helmet speakers and mic set up in an HJC 3/4 face helmet. We are able to talk and switch back and forth to our own music sources ( mine a blu-tooth stream thru my Zumo 665, hers is an I-phone plugged directly into her Sena MP3 jack. With a simple click of the "jog-dial" I can decide to talk to her, listen to music or make a call. Love it. way easier than the Scala G-4 that I have. The only issue so far us the little sticky mic I am using in my helmet is not working well for phone calls... I have it velcroed the mini mic to the cheek pad but for some reason it is not working well for phone calls..
Old 01-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #2140
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Depends on the setup. The Sena SMH10 has 2 HFP connections & 1 A2DP. (HFP is normally for the GPS & phone, while A2DP is stereo music) If your phone supports both HFP & A2DP and you plan on using your phone for music, then no problem and that still leaves another HFP connection for the GPS.

The one notable exception to this is the Zumo 660 which likes to hog both the HFP & A2DP connection which only leaves the HFP for your phone hence no music through your phone.

If you are planning on a stand alone music player, there's ways to make that work too, just depends on what devices you'll be connecting.
I don't know squat about this stuff. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy 3 on AT&T. I don't know how to find out if it supports HFP and A2DP unless I ask AT&T and I'm not sure I would get a good answer. I am using a Zumo 550 which I don't intend to change.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #2141
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
I don't know squat about this stuff. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy 3 on AT&T. I don't know how to find out if it supports HFP and A2DP unless I ask AT&T and I'm not sure I would get a good answer. I am using a Zumo 550 which I don't intend to change.
Okay, well your setup will work fine then. The easiest way to set this up is to connect each device directly to the Sena as described in the manual.

The Galaxy S3 does have both HFP & A2DP for phone and music control so it will take up the 2 main connections. Just choose your favorite music app or music from your phone. One you start your music, you can usually control it with the Sena jog dial. Hold in 2 secs to pause or 2 secs again to play. Hold in and twist to FF to next song or start current one over if allowed by app. The phone button will activate your chosen voice dial app and will also answer phone calls when they come in.

The Zumo 550 only has HFP so it will connect to the multi-point connection and be there to give you turn by turn directions as you desire.

There is an option that you can pair your Galaxy phone to the Zumo 550 in order to have control of your phone via the GPS for phone functions, but you can't play your music through that connection as the Zumo doesn't support that. That leaves you having to do a selective pairing from the Galaxy to the Sena for music only so you can still have your music. It should work, but is just a bit trickier to setup as you have to tell the Sena not to connect to the phone via HFP which the Zumo will need. That also means though that you always have to have your Zumo along to get phone calls or make them.

Just let us know which way you want to set it up, and we can help you.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #2142
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman View Post
33We are able to talk and switch back and forth to our own music sources ( mine a blu-tooth stream thru my Zumo 665, hers is an I-phone plugged directly into her Sena MP3 jack.
Just curious, is there a reason your wife isn't connecting to her music from the iPhone via the BT? I don't think you can change songs or pause your music when you are using the MP3 jack so that would be one advantage to using the BT is being able to skip songs on the fly without touching the phone or pausing it too? Maybe she has something else hooked up instead?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #2143
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Just curious, is there a reason your wife isn't connecting to her music from the iPhone via the BT? I don't think you can change songs or pause your music when you are using the MP3 jack so that would be one advantage to using the BT is being able to skip songs on the fly without touching the phone or pausing it too? Maybe she has something else hooked up instead?
+1

My g/f has her iPhone 4S paired to her SMH10 so she can make and receive phone calls and listen to her own music (MP3s, Pandora, etc.) while we're riding. All while her phone is safely tucked away in an inside pocket.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #2144
jpalmer67
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hey guys im new to the site, this is the only forum i could find that had people with experience with the Sena SMH10.

I bouth a dual pack of the snomobile version about a month ago and after installing on the helmets i noticed each unit had a missing or broken pin which prevented all the features from working. I contacted Sena and shipped them back, they replaced them with updated units, which have a plastic block protecting the pins much better.

Checked them out, they worked great. First trip by myself, unit was awesome, had great sound, very loud. I turned it off for a while and about an hour later when i stopped i noticed the main module was missing from my helmet. retraced many miles, but never found it. Now I was driving up to 90 MPH down the trails and rivers with some hard bumps and landings but the unit seemed to be clipped in very well.

Was wondering if anyone else had an issue with the mounting clip. My hemet base is attached really well, just the actual unit that clips in came off. I am going to buy a replacement, but would like to have some sort of tether if the clip fails. Has anyone tried or thought of a tether?

Thanks
jpalmer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #2145
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalmer67 View Post
I bouth a dual pack of the snomobile version about a month ago and after installing on the helmets i noticed each unit had a missing or broken pin which prevented all the features from working. I contacted Sena and shipped them back, they replaced them with updated units, which have a plastic block protecting the pins much better.
Thanks
glad to hear this. I already submitted the paperwork to get both of mine replaced because of bent pins. On mine they did not stop them from working, but still, need to fix them.