Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #2176
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I have ridden all day with my rider/passenger intercom fully connected all the time and have never had the battery go dead.
I bet there has been times when I had two 6 + hour days without recharging (forgot to recharge) but I have never had a SMH10 have the battery run down.
Yeah, I was just thinking that when I don't use my SR10 and am connecting directly to my Yaesu FTM-10SR ham radio via the BT chip in the ham radio, it technically keeps the headset and the ham radio "connected" full time. I've done 8hr+ bicycle races where I'm providing communication via the ham radio over the motorcycle and never had the battery go dead during those events even though I'm staying manually connected the entire 8+ hrs.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #2177
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
I'm pretty sure that dbl-tapping on the SR-10 will have little or no effect on the SMH-10 battery life.

I don't have the manual handy, but you can set the interval between end of signal and beginning of sleep on the SR-10.

As BL said, there's often no need to dbl tap anyway. Also, higher input device volume seems to help wake it up more quickly, so set it as high as possible without distortion for quicker opening of the noise gate.

-dan
Old 01-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #2178
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbenzie View Post
... I've read a bit about noises in the headsets with an active intercom session as the users start approaching the fringes of the BT range. Any experiences with this? With the Collets is that there's always 1 or 2 riders with their VOX mis-adjusted and their mics are constantly keying creating static in the headsets. Trying to figure out who the culprits are is sometimes challenging. Also there's frequently strange noises from interference from who knows what. What I'm trying to say is all the frequent sounds in the headsets, other than talking, drives us nuts...
My riding pals and I refer to this as "the banjos." As you get to the fringe of reception, it sounds like fuzzy banjo strings. By the time the noise gets loud enough to be irritating, you're about to drop the connection anyway. We don't use VOX (except to answer the phone, but that remains separate from intercom VOX thank goodness), so overall I would say audio quality and freedom from interference are excellent, except at the hairy edge of range.

My bike can be a snake-pit of RFI and the Sena gear takes it in stride, with the rare exception of when the pins get dirty (any system that loses its ground will pick up all kinds of noise). The one time a pal complained that my mic sounded distorted and full of static (I was not hearing any problem) turned out to be pins. Cured by the side of the road in less than a minute.

-dan
Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #2179
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
-I've read a bit about noises in the headsets with an active intercom session as the users start approaching the fringes of the BT range. Any experiences with this? With the Collets is that there's always 1 or 2 riders with their VOX mis-adjusted and their mics are constantly keying creating static in the headsets. Trying to figure out who the culprits are is sometimes challenging. Also there's frequently strange noises from interference from who knows what. What I'm trying to say is all the frequent sounds in the headsets, other than talking, drives us nuts
I think this will be way less an issue on the BT side. For one as Dan said it only happens when you get to the edge of the BT range and both or all riders connected can hear it. Unlike a 2 way radio where their vox keeps opening up and they have no idea that others are suffering through their static, in the BT world, everyone hears it together.

Quote:
A few of us already have dual band VHF/UHF 1w/5w radios with good range that would be good to use with the SR10. Any experience with the Uclear WT300 BT hub as compared to the SR10? I like the wireless PTT option.
The VHF/UHF radio's will definitely be a good start and VHF will reach further than UHF in the trees. As for the Uclear & the WT300, I looked at that, but I just couldn't find any early adopters of it. I don't know that I've read anyone that has had both in their hand to compare either. The other thing to be aware of is that although the WT300 may work with the Sena SMH10/SMH5, it wasn't designed that way. Early on, I used my SR10 with my Scala Q2 and although it worked, it did do some wonky stuff now and then also and not all the features were available either.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #2180
tbenzie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
You all have been a great help. Just ordered the SMH5/SR10 combo from Adam (already have a tracking # !).

My reasoning for the 5 vs 10:
-cost. Even though cost is generally not an issue this is a new arena for me, I figure that the 5 would be a good basic introduction to figure out if the system will suit our needs. At this point I figuring on only using the 2-way for communication. That may change however. As I'm one that's usually on the bleeding edge of gadgets, I expect I'll be upgrading and experimenting with various systems as they evolve. I kind of like the form factor of the soon-to-be-released SMH10R. That's possibly my next step if the Sena gear works for us. I also figure the SR10 will be a piece that stays with me for a while although I'm watching the WT300 as well.
-SIze
-Wiring Connector - I like the plug vs pogo pin connections
I think I can deal with the diminished battery life with various field charging options if necessary

I also ordered a PrymeBlu BT adapter and wireless BT PTT switch for my radio to see if that system works in place of the SR10. The PrymeBlu BT radio adapter (which will link to the SMH5 in theory) has a built-in PTT switch however the cord is very short (4"ish). The wireless BT PTT switch links to the radio adapter and will be mounted on my handlebars. I can then have the option of carrying the radio w/BT adapter in my pocket and the BT adapter's PTT switch will allow me to communicate when I'm away from my vehicle mounted PTT switch. (I'll find a way to justify getting any gadget )

Appreciate all the feedback and advice you guys have provided.
tbenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #2181
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Congrats! And with Adam on the job we can all relax and go back to stoking the woodstove, or whatever [g].

I would have balked at recommending the 5 just because you may need multiple/selective pairing to do all the stuff you want (multiple HFP connections), but then I remembered (I think, I hope) that the SMH-5 now supports that via a firmware upgrade.

Enjoy,

-dan
Old 01-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #2182
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
Congrats! And with Adam on the job we can all relax and go back to stoking the woodstove, or whatever [g].

I would have balked at recommending the 5 just because you may need multiple/selective pairing to do all the stuff you want (multiple HFP connections), but then I remembered (I think, I hope) that the SMH-5 now supports that via a firmware upgrade.

Enjoy,

-dan
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but I believe the 5 has caught up to the 10 with all those feature? At least I hope it has.

Good luck and let us know how everything works out, especially the Pryme Units. I'm very interested in that.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #2183
tbenzie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Thanks danham.
They state it does support multipoint as of the last update v1.2.

I'll let you guys know how this all shakes out but it'll be a couple weeks yet. I'll keep my eye on this thread too in case there are any new developments or epiphanies.

Thanks all!
tbenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #2184
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Thanks danham.
They state it does support multipoint as of the last update v1.2.

I'll let you guys know how this all shakes out but it'll be a couple weeks yet. I'll keep my eye on this thread too in case there are any new developments or epiphanies.

Thanks all!
From the questions you asked and how much reading you've already done, it sounds like you have a great grasp on this technology already and will probably be in here helping us with the next guy that comes in asking questions. By then you should be a pro with your setup and letting everyone know how it works.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #2185
Oshiat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Just shipped mine off to Sena for repair yesterday. I've been totally happy with the unit. At ~11 months old, it will no longer power up but the battery does charge. I'm pretty sure water probably made its way in through the usb cover. I think this cover will be the weak point of the unit for anyone who rides in wet climates and needs to be relocated to the bottom of the unit.
Oshiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #2186
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,996
My SMH10's are due here tomorrow. Blue lightening stand by for questions !
Old 01-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #2187
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshiat View Post
Just shipped mine off to Sena for repair yesterday. I've been totally happy with the unit. At ~11 months old, it will no longer power up but the battery does charge. I'm pretty sure water probably made its way in through the usb cover. I think this cover will be the weak point of the unit for anyone who rides in wet climates and needs to be relocated to the bottom of the unit.
That's where mine leaked. I still have a version 1 with the regular power plugin. I rode in a rain storm so bad I had to pull into a picnic area overhang cause I couldn't see the road anymore. I took it apart and dried it out and it mostly worked good but the phone control button (on the back) is very finicky and takes a few presses to make it work.

But it's over a year and a half old yet still holds a strong battery charge and works just fine. I'll keep using it until it becomes totally useless.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #2188
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,199
I wonder if a dab of silicon grease (the stuff used for spark plug boots) on the "door flap" would be a good idea?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #2189
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,140
Mine leaked because it was half way open. I wasn't paying attention after recharging it and only got the little flap partially sealed.

Sent from my iPhone
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #2190
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
That's where mine leaked. I still have a version 1 with the regular power plugin. I rode in a rain storm so bad I had to pull into a picnic area overhang cause I couldn't see the road anymore. I took it apart and dried it out and it mostly worked good but the phone control button (on the back) is very finicky and takes a few presses to make it work.

But it's over a year and a half old yet still holds a strong battery charge and works just fine. I'll keep using it until it becomes totally useless.
Don't it have a 2 year warranty?