Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2010, 07:29 AM   #211
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 927
Thumb Sena SMH10 Shootout with Cardo G4 and 4Bikers *LOOK*

Hi Inmates - here's a video that a tester in Sweden just posted on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSv4sjDFN3A

He compared three Bluetooth Intercom products namely - Cardo Scala Rider G4, 4Bikers and the Sena SMH10. The conclusion is this: Sena SMH10 is *the best* -- the easiest to handle, has the best tone quality, the longest communication range, the fastest start/stop.

Lobby edit: removed advertising.
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

Lobby screwed with this post 06-25-2010 at 02:51 PM
RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #212
FiveG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto
If you have a Storm (not a Storm 2) this was (is?) a known issue, that I believe was fixed by a software update. Some ring tones are naturally louder than others, in any event. Try this:

Go to 'Sounds' on main menu, scroll to 'Set Ring Tones/Alerts' then click... select 'Phone'. Adjust volume from silent to '10'.

If you haven't updated your BlackBerry's software lately, assuming you're on Verizon, the latest software is HERE.

Hope that helps.
I love "known issues." Whenever I hear that from my IT folks as the reason why something doesn't work or is buggy, I tear my hair out.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

I still can't find a way to adjust not the phone ringer volume, but the volume generated from the feed into the bluetooth device (in this case, the Sena). Work around may be to just create a motorcycling profile that has a super loud ring tone that I can hopefully hear over the rushing winds and engine noise. That, and vibrating, I guess.
FiveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:30 PM   #213
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,195
Installation & moving to new helmet?

Folks:

Two installation related questions if I may:

1) how hard is this thing to install....?
Any tips for getting the speakers lined up with my ear canals for best volume?

2) Related to this - how hard is the thing to move to another helmet?

Thanks!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #214
FiveG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Has anyone found that it periodically goes into "off" mode? I was riding with a buddy today, and after we paired up, we were using it. I don't believe we ended up in VOX mode, but it would periodically turn one of the units off. Pressing the button got it back working again, but this happened sometimes when we were silent, and sometimes while one or both of us were talking. Any suggestions?
FiveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #215
Serp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Folks:

Thanks!
1. Easy to install. Speakers - you may want to try putting something like a piece of styrofoam or similar to feel where it lines up and how far you might want to "shim" them in toward your ear.

2. Easy to move if you buy an additional glued surface mounting adaptor or backplate clamp - depending on your install http://www.senabluetooth.com/index.php?tab_menu=acc
Serp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #216
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Folks:

Thanks!
JR:

Couple of things to do.

First - put on the helmet, and have someone measure from the center of your eyes, down 1.5" (37mm) Have them put a piece of tape on the outside of the helmet at the 1.5" point, this will get you very close to where your ear canal is.

Alternatively, remove the cheek pad from one side of the helmet. Put a 'loop' of masking tape around your finger, and put on the helmet. Find your ear canal on the side where you removed the cheek pad, and stick the loop of tape in the spot to the inner shell of the helmet - this will be very close.

Then when you have installed the speakers, put on the helmet, and play some music thru the speakers. Move the helmet up, down, and side to side and see if the music get louder. it may help to just install one speaker at a time, that it will be easier to detect volume changes concentrating on only one speaker. Relocate the speakers accordingly and test again.

The headset is very easy to install - maybe 15-20 minutes per helmet. Many Inmates have installed faster than this.

If you have more than one helmet, but a second 'clamp unit' - $49.95 retail. This will make it really easy to just unsnap the 'main unit' from one helmet and snap it on another.

Serp suggested spacers to move the speakers closer to your ear. We stock Autocom's Velcro covered, foam speakers spacers in 1/4" and 1/2" (5mm and 12mm) thickness just for this very purpose.

Hope that's useful info. Don't hesitate to call us when you're installing if you hit a snag, and we will guide you. If you happen to have a new iPhone4, we can use FaceTime for video support.
| Hi-Power LED Lights

RocketMoto screwed with this post 06-27-2010 at 08:27 PM
Old 06-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #217
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,195
Quote:
JR:

Couple of things to do.

Hope that's useful info. Don't hesitate to call us when you're installing if you hit a snag, and we will guide you. If you happen to have a new iPhone4, we can use FaceTime for video support.
Thanks Adam!!!
I'll be calling in Monday w/ order!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #218
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
My $0.02...

I got the SENA. It just plain works. Easy to install (Shoei Multitec). Easy to pair. Good sound fidelity. On the rare occasions where I've answered a phone call, I've had callers comment on how good the sound quality was.

Had an issue with installing it initially - SENA support was top notch. Minor issue quickly resolved.

On issue I had is more related to the Shoei than the SENA - I have to position the mic "just right" otherwise, when locking the face of the helmet down, it moves the mic. I ended up wrapping the mic boom in electrical tape to provide extra thickness and then taped it into place underneath the left side cheek-pad so the mic ends up sitting slightly up and to the left of my mouth.
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #219
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveG
Has anyone found that it periodically goes into "off" mode? I was riding with a buddy today, and after we paired up, we were using it. I don't believe we ended up in VOX mode, but it would periodically turn one of the units off. Pressing the button got it back working again, but this happened sometimes when we were silent, and sometimes while one or both of us were talking. Any suggestions?
Does not sound normal. Did you purchase these from us?

If not, you may call the seller where you purchased and ask for assistance. If it's a defective headset, they should arrange for an exchange. If no response, call us, and we'll help you get the issue sorted out.
| Hi-Power LED Lights

Old 06-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #220
Solstice0000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
User report

Bot our kits from Adam and Dave at RocketMoto. Great service at a great price from guys who are really helpful...what more could you ask for? Highly recommended.

Installed and tested them last 2 weeks, mostly daily commute.
Installation was a breeze – about 10 min each! Mine on a Shark S800 (clamp unit) and AGV S4 (3M Glued Surface Mounting Adaptor) , my buddy’s on his Arai TX (3M Glued Surface M. Adaptor). Time will tell how long the 3M Glued SMAdaptor will last.

Mobilephone:
Paired easily with my Samsung SGHi-780. I can hear callers clearly and the Sena’s mobile phone-enabled function is LOUD (even with my custom earplugs). BUT everyone’s feedback is that I sound really muffled and, hence, unclear. Don’t know what to make of it and what would be the remedy. Anyone have this ”muffled speech” experience? Most users, I've read, seem to report good clarity from their mobilephone callers, for example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan
My $0.02... On the rare occasions where I've answered a phone call, I've had callers comment on how good the sound quality was.
Interestingly, I was told that I sounded clearest when the mic is positioned between my lower lip and chin (vs directly in front of my mouth).

Intercom:
Rider-Passenger paired and worked well, except for the initial ride when my passenger could hear me clearly but I couldn’t hear a thing. We fiddled with it and believe that it was due to the Passenger’s mic being positioned incorrectly. Distance-wise, line-of-sight connectivity on unblocked terrain was up to almost 1km, while non-line sight on the same terrain was about 700m. Meanwhile physical obstacles/structures, eg. hills, road bridges, reduced connectivity to about 500m.

Music:
Paired my new 5th Gen iPod Nano via a Plantronics Bluetooth dongle (that came with a BT headset called BackBeat). Music is clear and great. However, I am facing 2 big issues:
(1) I have to pair the Plantronics BT dongle to the Sena EVERYTIME I turn the Sena off/on (eg. stopping at lunch or arriving at work); and
(2) It appears that I have to choose between either my Mobilephone function OR Music function… it just won’t accept both the Mobilephone and Music functions at the same time.
Does anyone have such an experience with the above? HELP!
Using the provided 3.5mm stereo audio cable was easy but would result in a relatively short accordion cord hanging from helmet to the iPod in my jacket pocket. Music volume is a tad soft though, but liveable.

So far still wondering how waterproof /resistant the Sena is (I believe either the Cardo or Interphone states it is waterproof)? We are taking off on a much longer ride to Thailand this weekend and seeing that it is rainy weather over here, we probably will get the chance to test the Sena in heavy rain… will report back after the trip.

Meanwhile, would appreciate any constructive thoughts/comments on the issues I mentioned. Thanks.
Solstice0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:54 AM   #221
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,655
Quote:
Does not sound normal. Did you purchase these from us?

If not, you may call the seller where you purchased and ask for assistance. If it's a defective headset, they should arrange for an exchange. If no response, call us, and we'll help you get the issue sorted out.
I'm having exactly the same issue. I am not in VOX mode but the headsets will all of a sudden randomly turn off. I like to leave them on and open for long periods of time so my 5yr old can chat to me, and it was aggravating the last few times. I have tried hard-resetting them and will give it another go and report back.

I did buy from Rocketmoto in May so nice to have you guys here with all the support!

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #222
Duster929
New Member!

Oddometer: 195
Solstice, one of the helmets I'm going to install into is a Shark S800. Glad to hear you could use the clamp mount. How do the speakers fit? Is it a tight fit or comfortable? Did you have to do anything to the helmet to make them fit?

Thanks.

--- D

Duster929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #223
Solstice0000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Shark S800 Sena fitment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster929
Solstice, one of the helmets I'm going to install into is a Shark S800. Glad to hear you could use the clamp mount. How do the speakers fit? Is it a tight fit or comfortable? Did you have to do anything to the helmet to make them fit?

Thanks.

--- D
Glad to be of help. The speakers fit just fine and i don't even notice them there (even with my earplugs). i slip the speakers behind the cushion just above where the top of the chinstraps are attached to the helmet - they're not even velcro-ed on but I think I might as well since those velcro pieces are provided (but on the AGV S4, I had no choice and had to use the velcro pieces to fix the speakers to the inner helmet shell cos they moved around to much). Oh btw, glad you asked, I did fix velcro in the space between the helmet and the clamp unit base cos I didn't like the obvious gap (on the outside the helmet). Some pics for your viewing pleasure

Helmet with Sena attached

View of inside helmet

Velcro between helmet and Sena Clamp unit

You can't see or feel it but the Right speaker is behind cushion...

There it is... the Right speaker!

The Left speaker exposed...
Solstice0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #224
Duster929
New Member!

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice0000
Glad to be of help. The speakers fit just fine and i don't even notice them there (even with my earplugs). i slip the speakers behind the cushion just above where the top of the chinstraps are attached to the helmet - they're not even velcro-ed on but I think I might as well since those velcro pieces are provided (but on the AGV S4, I had no choice and had to use the velcro pieces to fix the speakers to the inner helmet shell cos they moved around to much). Oh btw, glad you asked, I did fix velcro in the space between the helmet and the clamp unit base cos I didn't like the obvious gap (on the outside the helmet).
Thanks a lot! That's reassuring. I've got to fit these to two Shark helmets right at the start of our trip, and the helmets are currently in a shipping crate with my bike!

Duster929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:43 PM   #225
Rustykfd
IBA #483

Oddometer: 88
Sena and Iphone(3g) OS4

Any one else updated their OS and lose volume on music? I used to be able to turn it up too loud for highway speeds (with earplugs) now with OS4 I can barely hear my music, but my phone is fine...........I am puzzled.