Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #2266
AdrianB1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I got my dual set of SMH10 a month ago and I got only a few rides with it. It is very nice, but ...

First, I have a problem with the right speaker - the contact between the BT module and the clamp is not working well so the right speaker is not working sometimes. The pins look fine, if I press a bit the BT module on the clamp I get sound back, if I take the hand off it then it may continue to work or not.

Second, I have a problem with the left speaker position in the helmet: any way I try to place it I get it pressing my ear or the skull so pain appears after 10-15 minutes. Still looking for a solution.

For the pin contact problem I don't know if I can find an easy solution as I bought the kit in US in a business trip and I live in Europe; I don't have any trip planned to US in the next few months, so sending the BT unit and clamp to manufacturer is not a cheap option (it may be more than $50).
AdrianB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #2267
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Adrian,

A couple of things to try...

For the pins to suffer corrosion in only a month would be unusual, but it's worth a try to clean them and the contact surfaces. When mine start to get dirt on them, pressing on the receiver can make/break contact. Use a good cleaner/preservative such as Deoxit.

Another cause of intermittent contact is of course the unit not being snapped fully into the clamp. Listen for a click when you snap it into place. A related issue is if you have over-tightened the mounting screws on the clamp, which can distort it enough to perhaps cause an intermittent connection (and will eventually cause it to fail).

Hope this helps,

-dan
Old 02-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #2268
AdrianB1
Adventurer

It is not corrosion, it happened the same the day I opened the box. The clamp was not even on the helmet when I did the first test, so that cannot be either. The BT module is properly seated on the clamp, I have the clicking noise every time I mount it, it's just a pin that is misbehaving. I can try some cleaning, even if it does not looks like needing one, and I will also try to switch the modules to see where is the problem.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #2269
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

With that new info, I'd suggest one more test: do all the pins push in and pop out properly, with spring tension pressing until the pin is fully extended? If not, you may be able to free up a pin that is sticking.

-dan
Old 02-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #2270
AdrianB1
Adventurer

Yes, this is the first thing I checked, they all look and move fine. After I mounted the kit on the helmet I still had the problem, then it worked for another ride and 2 nights ago, when I thought it is all fine, I lost sound in right speaker while riding. I never used it in rain, I was riding in the city, no bumps, no shock, just some pin voodoo :)

Btw, is there any documentation on the pin layout? At least I would like to know where to look for that particular pin.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #2271
themenz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianB1 View Post

Second, I have a problem with the left speaker position in the helmet: any way I try to place it I get it pressing my ear or the skull so pain appears after 10-15 minutes. Still looking for a solution.

How do you have the speaker mounted? Directly on the foam? Are you using the thicker pads they gave you?

Old 02-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #2272
AdrianB1
Adventurer

No pads, just directly on the helmet liner.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #2273
themenz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,290
Quote:
No pads, just directly on the helmet liner.
One thing I have done, is to compress the foam under the liner to make more room. I used the rounded handle of a short screwdriver to press hard and create room. That foam is compressible, but it takes a bit of effort. The surface of the speaker is now a bit below foam level so there is zero ear discomfort.

Now some may say that this compromises the helmet protection so do what you feel comfortable with.

The distributor told me to take the liner off the foam and cut out some foam to make room. That seemed to be more injurious to the foam protection than compressing 2 or three square inches. I thought a bit thinner foam was the best choice

YMMV.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #2274
AdrianB1
Adventurer

I just spent the last 2 hours trying to update the firmware to 4.2 beta. It does not take long if you are well prepared and lucky, I was not and I almost bricked the headset. Not so good for a computer professional, is it?

I tried to upgrade on my Windows 64-bit computer and it locked at 90%. I left it there for ~ 30 minutes and I gave up. I restarted the application (killed task first, it was unresponsive), the BT module was unresponsive (no power on or anything else) and it recognized the module as firmware 0, suggested to upgrade to 4.1.1 and I let it try; it got stuck again at 90%.

So after a bit of searching Internet I found that Mac and Win 32 work well, on Win 64 not so good. It took a while to find a computer with Win 32 and the firmware restore took just a couple of minutes. At 90% it asked me to press the buttons on the module, I did that, everything was fine and now the module works like 2 hours ago.

I will try to upgrade to 4.2 on the Win 32 computer, but I will not be able to test the result till Tuesday when I will ride the bike.

PS. The guy at Sena that set up the firmware recovery mode in the headset did a great job, nice to see it can recover.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #2275
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,897
Quote:

I tried to upgrade on my Windows 64-bit computer and it locked at 90%. I left it there for ~ 30 minutes and I gave up.
I have never been able to get any of the version to work on Win 7 64 on my Dell. so I just wipe out the Eee machine on XP and "get er done"
Old 02-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #2276
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,170
Quote:
... PS. The guy at Sena that set up the firmware recovery mode in the headset did a great job, nice to see it can recover.
The "recovery" programmer did an awesome job I agree.

I always use a 32-bit XP box to upgrade my Sena ...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #2277
FireIdiot
Lost in translation

Oddometer: 82
I wonder if compatability mode would work...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
FireIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:11 AM   #2278
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

I had my first update failure using XP when I tried to install 4.2 beta last week (device never recognized). But I never followed through because this was the excuse I've been waiting for to transfer the whole operation to my iMac. Under OS 10.8.2 the Sena Device Manager worked perfectly even after I ignored its dire Bluetooth warnings and proceeded while using my BT keyboard and mouse.

-dan
Old 02-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #2279
Pappy541
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
I got my dual set of SMH10 a month ago and I got only a few rides with it. It is very nice, but ...

First, I have a problem with the right speaker - the contact between the BT module and the clamp is not working well so the right speaker is not working sometimes. The pins look fine, if I press a bit the BT module on the clamp I get sound back, if I take the hand off it then it may continue to work or not.

For the pin contact problem I don't know if I can find an easy solution as I bought the kit in US in a business trip and I live in Europe; I don't have any trip planned to US in the next few months, so sending the BT unit and clamp to manufacturer is not a cheap option (it may be more than $50).

For the speaker not working and the pin contact problem. I got a neotec helmet last year and after installing the sena I started having issues. I discovered that that shape of the helment and placement of the base was the problem. As I tightened the base it became bowed and the unit did not make good contact with all the pins. I made a shim to keep the base from bending. works great.
Pappy541 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #2280
k12lts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:

I had the same problem last fall. Since you have the dual set, swap the modules between the headsets and see if the problem follows the module or stays with the headset. My problem was in the module and Sena sent me a new one under warranty.
1981 BMW R100RS
2006 KLR 650
k12lts is offline   Reply With Quote