Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #2281
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,355
I've had my pair of Senas for about 10 months now. So, I've upgraded the firmware several times. Always on Win 7 x64 on my Dell laptop. Never a problem.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #2282
OldSchool750
Old Rider

Oddometer: 102
I've had my Sena's since a month after they came out.....the original ones. They have the original batteries, but I updated the mounting plate to the one that eliminates the boom. Other than clean the contacts several times, I have done nothing in the way of maintenance.

The units are removed from the helmets every night and charged. I have one pin that is bent a tad, but still works fine.

In all, about 40,000 miles of riding in all kinds of weather. To say that I am happy with the units is an understatement!

Jim
OldSchool750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #2283
tbenzie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Update

Hi all.
If you read back a few pages, you'll see my evolution with the selection and education on these units. I figured I would update y'all.
We are currently using SMH10's/SMH5's with SR10's and 2-way radios for snowmobiling. For the time being, we have deleted all pairings between headsets and each person is only paired to their own SR10 hub. We figured we would refrain from the intercom function until we fully tested the units in a configuration that would satisfy our basic requirement - sled to sled communication. We started out with the units paired to each other and it seemed to cause issues - mostly self-induced I believe (accidental bumping of the jog dial). Once we deleted all pairings except the SR10 hubs they work great.

Battery life - excellent. Even in below 0 temps, we have not had any battery depletion issues with any of the headsets or hubs. This is after 8-10 hours of operation.

Issues - (We are all running the current beta firmware)
-background echo. You can hear you voice in the background while you're talking but it lags 3-4 words behind your actual statement. This is not a consistent issue and does not happen for everybody.
-Factory reset does not delete the intercom pairings

We're working with Sena to isolate the above 2 issues.

-Wired mics can fail in the snowmobiling environment. They are not waterproof. So far we've had 3 wired mics fail from getting wet from condensation from our breath. Luckily, we have several replacements and Sena is warranty-ing the failed ones. We're working on a solution to this. So far, encasing the mic in a small sealed plastic bag seems to work. Saran wrap doesn't. The 2 boom mics in use seem to be holding up - so far.

We're about to head out on a week long snowmobile vacation. This will be the real test. I'll update again when the season is over.
tbenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #2284
skymasteres
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Well, I just have to say I have been EXTREELY happy with my experience with the SMH10 units. I bought a set back in Aug 2011 and they have only gotten better with each firware update. Sena has been great about providing support for the bent pin issue. (I used to remove the unit to swap back and forth between helmets but after breaking a pin I try to minimize this)

The thing I am happiest about now is the new 4.2 beta firware update. I don't know how they did it, but they managed to get a considerable volume increase out of the same hardware. Now I don't have to have the volume maxed out while I'm wearing ear plugs and I'm not struggling to hear everything. Completely solves my only minor gripe with the system. Way to go SENA!
skymasteres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #2285
Mattyballgame72
Triumph Fanboi

Oddometer: 29
This system can be pieced together 'ala carte' ?

Looking at RocketMoto's site they show the following:

Replacement BT module:
Ear Bud kit with both Mics
Cig lighter charger
Wall charger w/cable

That is all I need?

I have zero use for the in helmet speakers and will never use them so I was trying to see if piecing it all together I lose anything over buying the dual pack+2 earbud kits.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #2286
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyballgame72 View Post

Replacement BT module:
Cig lighter charger
Wall charger w/cable

That is all I need?

I have zero use for the in helmet speakers and will never use them so I was trying to see if piecing it all together I lose anything over buying the dual pack+2 earbud kits.
If it were me - I would call Adam @ RocketMoto ... he has it all stored in his head and will make sure you get everything you need at best price.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #2287
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Adam ... did you hear what he said? ;-)

Review of new SMH10R ...

http://www.gizmag.com/sena-smh10-blu...-review/25269/

He calls the SMH10 "rotund, dorky, and bulbous" but then ...
Well ... read the review ...

JRWooden screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 05:18 PM Reason: Link fixed
Old 02-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #2288
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Review of new SMH10R ...

www.gizmag.com/sena-smh10r-review-bluetooth-helmet-intercom

He calls the SMH10 "rotund, dorky, and rotund" but then ...
Well ... read the review ...
Your link is busted. Try this one.

I've had SMH10s on my helmets for a year and half or so now. I'm quite fond of the setup. I got to check out the 10R at Scuderia in SF the other day, and while it's certainly sexier and slimmer, the battery placement presents a problem. Not sure I want more crap in other places on my helmet. Also, as of yet there's no provision for plugging in earbuds and I just got done mounting Tork speakers in my Qwest, which by the way sound great with the SMH10+4.2 firmware. Honestly not much louder, but definitely waaaay better sound.

So I guess I'll stick with rotund and dorky for now.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #2289
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

SFH:

On some helmets the battery can be tucked in to the back of the helmet liner but .... still ... Yeah... I'm with you I'll stick with dorky ...

Sorry link was busted ... copy and paste didn't quote go to the end .....
Old 02-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #2290
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
SFH:

On some helmets the battery can be tucked in to the back of the helmet liner but .... still ... Yeah... I'm with you I'll stick with dorky ...

Sorry link was busted ... copy and paste didn't quote go to the end .....
I've heard about that - I don't think my Qwest has anywhere to stuff it, but I used to have a Nolan N103 that had a cavity for their system, and I wondered if it'd fit in that kind of spot with some "engineering".

I read more of the review and saw that the battery life is less, too. Bummer.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #2291
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyballgame72 View Post

Replacement BT module:
Cig lighter charger
Wall charger w/cable

That is all I need?

Hi Matty:

That'd be everything. Most folks don't even do the wall charger any more, you can use just about any ol' USB charger you may already have. The BT module includes a USB cable.
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #2292
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,786
Can someone answer a simple question on this for me? I'm considering picking up the new SMH10R (low-profile version), and I've read the WBW reviews, and the manuals, but I'm still not sure how this will work. Basically, I don't need the intercom or bike-to-bike (though that may be nice down the road), but I want to pair this to my Android phone for phone AND audio player use. I also want to pair it to a Montana via a BT audio dongle. Will this work? If so, how? Can I have it so that I can use the audio player on the phone and have the Montana cut in w/ Turn-by-Turn directions?

Thanks for any insights!

Edit - also, is the audio booster the same in the -5 as the 10? I may be tempted to get the slightly smaller -5 w/ the FM radio if it'll do what I want with the same audio quality.

lmychajluk screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 06:43 PM
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #2293
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Can someone answer a simple question on this for me? I'm considering picking up the new SMH10R (low-profile version), and I've read the WBW reviews, and the manuals, but I'm still not sure how this will work. Basically, I don't need the intercom or bike-to-bike (though that may be nice down the road), but I want to pair this to my Android phone for phone AND audio player use. I also want to pair it to a Montana via a BT audio dongle. Will this work? If so, how? Can I have it so that I can use the audio player on the phone and have the Montana cut in w/ Turn-by-Turn directions?

Thanks for any insights!
I do exactly that with my SMH10 "rotund and dorky." I'm assuming the functionality is the same in that respect. Sena calls it multi-point pairing.

Just checked the product page and they specifically call out "Multipoint Connection - Mobile Phone + GPS" so you should be good to go.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #2294
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post

Thanks for any insights!

Edit - also, is the audio booster the same in the -5 as the 10? I may be tempted to get the slightly smaller -5 w/ the FM radio if it'll do what I want with the same audio quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Hooligan View Post
I do exactly that with my SMH10 "rotund and dorky." I'm assuming the functionality is the same in that respect. Sena calls it multi-point pairing.

Just checked the product page and they specifically call out "Multipoint Connection - Mobile Phone + GPS" so you should be good to go.
Actually, if the BT dongle is an A2DP BT Stereo dongle (which the majority of the on the market are), you are going to run into a conflict between listening to music on your phone and listening to your Montana via the BT dongle since there is only 1 A2DP pairing available on the SMH10.

If you can find a phone only dongle (mono) which has either the HFP/HSP BT profiles, then it would work as there are 2 phone pairings on the Sena SMH10, one of them being the multi-point pairing as mentioned above. The old mono BT dongles were popular before BT became standard on phones.

Two of them I can tell you to look for out there are the Jabra A210 or the Cardo BTA II. There are others, but I know of these two for sure. These are mono BT dongle's that connect as a phone profile only. One thing to keep in mind is that both of these have 2.5mm plugs which is what a lot of cell phones used to have, so you'll need a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter, but that's easy to find at Radio Shack or other electronic stores.

Here's a guy that talks about making one for his iPod so he can pair it to a standard mono BT headset. He uses the BTA II. - http://www.instructables.com/id/Make...-on-the-cheap/

The Jabra A210 has become pretty popular with the Ham guys to make a wireless BT headset connection to their radio's, so their used prices have gone up in the past year or two.

Of course you could add in the Sena SR10 which you can have an audio cord gong from the Montana to the SR10 and then that will mult-point to the SMH10 and since its made by Sena, you know it will work without issues. The SR10 has 2 corded audio inputs (one can be a 2nd cell phone), 1 two-way radio, and it can BT its self to 2nd cellphone if you want.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 07:34 PM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #2295
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,786
Ah... see... I was thinking there may be something like that. All the instructions I saw about pairing to a GPS seemed to really mean "Pairing to a Zumo", which I know had a kind of funky BT implementation.

SF_Hooligan - can you maybe elaborate on your setup? Which BT adapter are you using for your Montana?

Edit - Looking at the priority list of the audio sources for the SMH-5FM, one way around this would be to use an FM transmitter w/ the Zumo instead of BT. BT Stereo is lowest on the list, followed by FM, then Intercom and Phone. Which brings me back to the audio quality of the -5 vs. the -10. I see Revzilla sells upgrade speakers for the -5, but the reviews say it's not a great improvement.

lmychajluk screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 07:44 PM
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote